Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:35:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 420
Total: 421

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How late is a late dose?  (Read 3836 times)

Offline waisland

How late is a late dose?
« on: September 20, 2013, 09:58:58 am »
I've always had insomnia but since starting Stribild, it has gotten much worse.  That coupled with my unemployment and time off from school means my sleep schedule is all over the place and there isn't a single hour of the day during which I know I'll always be awake.  I'm trying to get that back on track, but that's a whole other mess... In the meantime, I've got a question:

If I'm taking one pill a day, how much deviation can I have with when I take it?  Is a four-hour window too much of a window?  I've been taking it at 1PM, no earlier than noon, but on some days when the insomnia gets really bad I will accidentally end up asleep until nearly 4PM so I take it then.

I'm new to all this, am I worrying for nothing?  Or have I been committing egregious errors the last few weeks without even realizing it?  Thank you for your assistance!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: How late is a late dose?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:09:01 am »
I wouldn't think you are going to run into problems with that short of time difference between dosing . Since you are new to living with HIV I would double down on getting on a consistent schedule if only for the reason of sometimes the habits we create when dealing with new things are the habits we keep .

You are going to be OK with the dosing wiggle room but it would be even less of an issue once you go undetectable .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline waisland

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:51:09 am »
Thanks Jeff :)

Offline Niceguy2013

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 06:58:44 pm »
I think most one a day medicines are somewhat forgiving. I occasionally take Atripla at midnight or later when I am going out. Once, I was out of town and passed out without taking my medicine. I took it when I woke up at 630am. I was a little stressed, but the research I did suggested that the medicine has a long half life. If you have been taking your medicine for a while, don't stress about a single late dose.

That being said, I agree with Jeff G., get in the habit if taking it at the same time so that you train yourself. I tend to take mine at 9pm and I even set my phone to remind me. Also, having a 7 day pill box helps me make sure I don't miss a day.

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 03:43:34 am »
The package insert is uncomfortably vague:

"If a patient misses a dose of STRIBILD, the patient should take the missed dose as soon as they remember. If it is almost time for the next dose of STRIBILD, the patient should not take the missed dose, but resume the usual dosing schedule."

However, this euro-doc gives firmer guidelines:

"If the patient misses a dose of Stribild within 18 hours of the time it is usually taken, the patient should take Stribild with food as soon as possible and resume the normal dosing schedule. If a patient misses a dose of Stribild by more than 18 hours and it is almost time for the next dose, the patient should not  take the missed dose and simply resume the usual dosing schedule."

Also this charming addendum:

"If the patient vomits within 1 hour of taking Stribild another tablet should be taken."
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Piscean

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:11:35 pm »

Also this charming addendum:

"If the patient vomits within 1 hour of taking Stribild another tablet should be taken."

Thanks for posting this tidbit. While I have not had this happen to me, I have often wondered what I would do should i yack up my meds. Good info to mentally file away.

Offline waisland

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 07:57:46 pm »

love it

thanks again for the replies

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.