Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:55:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Questions concerning NY ADAP, Sculptra, and a physician  (Read 11227 times)

Offline krh

Questions concerning NY ADAP, Sculptra, and a physician
« on: August 16, 2008, 11:34:39 am »
Hi, I was wonderning if anyone in the NYC area could recommend a couple of things for me.

I have mild facial lypo which has been noticeable in the last 2 years (i.e. people are asking if I am losing weight when in actuality I am gaining in my middle section etc and my face looks slightly sunken in).  I have been positive for about 6 years and on the sustiva/truvada combination for 5 years.

I am currently in ADAP/APIC in NYC.

Does ADAP pay for Sculptra?

Can anyone recommend a DR who can apply the Sculptra.  My Dr does but to be honest I don't really trust his expertise in doing it (he hasn't been doing it long).

Any help from someone who has done this in the past would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

krh

Offline atlq

Re: Questions concerning NY ADAP, Sculptra, and a physician
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:44:34 am »
Krh,

I can't answer your question regarding ADAP payment for Sculptra in NYC, but the drug company does offer the drug on a sliding fee scale (it is free those those making under 40,00 a year) Go to:

http://www.sculptra.us/global/default.aspx

and use the "Locate a Doctor" feature, which searches by zipcode. You then call several of the offices and inquire if they use the Patient Assistance Program (the majority of them will). They should have the paperwork in the office for you to apply and will guide you through the process.

It usually takes no more than two weeks for the company to send the drug to your doctor, at which time they will make an appointment with you.

Good luck! ;D

Be aware though, that event though the drug may be provided to you free of charge, you will have to pay the dermatologist for the procedure. $500 per session seems to be the going rate, though it varies from office to office
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline krh

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:48:41 am »
Thanks ATLQ:

I already got the forms for Sculptra.  It  asks if state/local agencies pay for sculptra.  I've been trying to find out if ADAP does but haven't gotten a clear answer as of yet.

Thanks though for the info..  Appreciated.

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:45:46 pm »
try dr.frechette in nyc---expensive but he has been using sculptra for many years now, i went to him when i could afford it and it was money well spent. 

Offline dixieman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 10:08:15 am »
Unfortunately, its considered cosmetic... ADAP probally will not pay... but, if you make below $40 thousand its varies from state to state... Its FDA approved but, the majority of insurance companies will not pay and ADAP is a government assistance program for life saving drugs and lipo is not considered as life threatening... in order for the company who manufactors sculptura etc... they have a compassion clause in which you and your doctor must provide your income to recieve a discounted rate... along with pictures of the severity of your condition... its genrally 80% off the price of the filler(sculptura) you must pay the difference out of pocket and the docotr fees for administering the filler... which can range from 150.oo per session to more... and several sessions are needed to get the desired look... your in New York... so you probally have more options available....

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 06:10:02 pm »
KRH,
I'm not yet in the position of having to think about lipodystrophy, but your question raises one of my own:  where do you get case management done, or do you?  I have an excellent CM at Callen-Lorde, and I love her dearly.  She knows her stuff, and she'd be able to give you answers to this kind of stuff almost immediately (if not immediately).

If you are so inclined, call 212-271-7200 and ask for Nicole in Case Management.  Tell her one of her clients referred you with a STRONG recommendation!

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 04:17:19 pm »

I have mild facial lypo which has been noticeable in the last 2 years (i.e. people are asking if I am losing weight when in actuality I am gaining in my middle section etc and my face looks slightly sunken in).  I have been positive for about 6 years and on the sustiva/truvada combination for 5 years.

krh: I'm curious re: meds that can either cause lipo or make it worse, etc., so I was wondering, in your case, based on what you said above, is Sustiva/Truvada the only combo you've been on? Do you remember what your CD4 count/VL  was when you started?
Thanks, I appreciate the info@!

Below is a link to the NY ADAP formulary, Sculptra does not appear to be on it but there is an 800 number at the bottom of the page, maybe if you call them directly they would know?

http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/aids/resources/adap/formulary.htm#other
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 04:33:40 pm by Inchlingblue »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.