Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:40:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773170
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 275
Total: 278

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cholesterol levels and Ritonavir  (Read 4963 times)

Offline BM

Cholesterol levels and Ritonavir
« on: June 09, 2009, 07:41:43 am »
It would seem that the small dose of Ritonavir (100mg per day) in my combination has had no effect on my cholesterol levels. My total cholesterol is 3.3 mmol/L (127 mg/dL) which, according to my doctor, represents a record low for that clinic. This is actually a small decrease in total cholesterol: it was 3.4 mmol/L (131 mg/dL) before I started HAART.

When you consider I live in the heart attack capital of the world, it seems even more impressive!  :)

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
Re: Cholesterol levels and Ritonavir
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:58:39 am »
Echoing that... 100mg of Norvir is just to boost and is considered "small or low" dose. It doesn't mean its benign, obviously...

when the new boosters come out, I'll be looking to switch. Norvir refrigeration requirement is a pain, and it is quite pricy. Which is why other boosters are on the way!
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:02:42 am »
Norvir refrigeration requirement is a pain

How is it a "pain"?  Your 30-day supply need not be kept in the fridge.  You don't live in the tropics.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline risred1

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:18:01 pm »
I was instructed to keep it refrigerated at all times or as much as possible.

the pharmacy couldn't find it at first, because it was refrigerated.

I read on another thread, that you can't mail order Norvir, cause of the refrigeration issue.

And someone said they had caps in a suitcase in a car or airplane and they melted.

When I work festivals in the summer, it can get god awful hot... I've got to figure out, though its not that difficult, how to keep them dry in a ice chest, and I have to keep after it...

That's my understanding, but your saying its different...

I need to understand more of what your saying?
risred1 - hiv +

Offline veritas

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 08:28:07 am »
I was instructed to keep it refrigerated at all times or as much as possible.

the pharmacy couldn't find it at first, because it was refrigerated.

I read on another thread, that you can't mail order Norvir, cause of the refrigeration issue.

And someone said they had caps in a suitcase in a car or airplane and they melted.

When I work festivals in the summer, it can get god awful hot... I've got to figure out, though its not that difficult, how to keep them dry in a ice chest, and I have to keep after it...

That's my understanding, but your saying its different...
. I

risred,
I receive Norvir by mail-order with no problem. I also don't refridgerate the Norvir I'm using for the current month of use. The other two months I do keep refridgerated  until needed.
I travel with norvir also,with no problem.
When you work at festivals, keep your meds in a small plastic envelope that you can buy at any crafts store and put them in your cooler.
I believe norvir, if unrefridgerated, must be kept at a temp below 80f.

v

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:22:58 am »

risred,
I receive Norvir by mail-order with no problem. I also don't refridgerate the Norvir I'm using for the current month of use. The other two months I do keep refridgerated  until needed.
I travel with norvir also,with no problem.
When you work at festivals, keep your meds in a small plastic envelope that you can buy at any crafts store and put them in your cooler.
I believe norvir, if unrefridgerated, must be kept at a temp below 80f.

v

I think that is the issue. I believe it is 78 degrees F or less that Norvir is safe outside of refrigeration (though 80 is pretty close).

Here where I live, 80 degrees is not even warm weather. In the summer, it averages 95 or so during the day and hot days are triple digits. My house often is warmer than 80 degrees during the day because I'm not here and the cooler isn't on.

I am also the person who had Norvir melt in his suitcase while it was in the trunk of my car. It was only there for about three hours, but that was all it took.

So, I keep, or used to keep, my Norvir refrigerated except for the week's worth I have in my pill box. That seems to have worked pretty well for me.

Of course, if you live in a cooler climate, you may not haver to keep them in the frig.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline veritas

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 09:46:09 am »

Mark,

I live in the NE so daily temp isn't much of a problem for me. I can understand living in AZ(?) daily temp would be a problem. When traveling, I use a cool pack during the summer.

I was going from memory on the temp for Norvir, thanks for the correction. I knew it was below 80 degrees f.
In any case, this issue goes away for you on your new meds. I 've been on Isentress/truvada/Prezista/norvir since Isentress was approved with no problems. Isentress is very lipid friendly. I hope it works out for you!

v

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 10:12:40 am »

No, you just need to read the label on the Norvir bottle.  I'd also get a better pharmacy.  Basically it's just the pharmacy that needs to worry about refrigeration, because they're keeping large amounts on hand for longer than 30-days.  It's a common misperception that just because one sees the pharmacy yank the Norvir out of the fridge that the patient has to do the same, but like I said it clearly has instructions on the labeling.

The other items you mention are simply over-inflated nonsense you're read on a web forum.  One need only worry if one lives somewhere and does not have air-conditioning in the summer.  Then you have an issue.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:14:23 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 10:16:25 am »

I am also the person who had Norvir melt in his suitcase while it was in the trunk of my car. It was only there for about three hours, but that was all it took.

Sheesh... do you throw Russel Stover in the trunk too?  I mean honestly, some things are just simple common sense.  ANY gel cap medication would melt in a car trunk.

Offline risred1

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 05:47:00 pm »
I think we hijacked the thread.....

Thanks for the information though... I'll adjust my thinking. But I'm out camping enough to be concerned, and I do have to have waterproof containers that I can "store" the norvir in an ice chest.

thanks!
risred1 - hiv +

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 03:59:11 pm »
Sheesh... do you throw Russel Stover in the trunk too?  I mean honestly, some things are just simple common sense.  ANY gel cap medication would melt in a car trunk.

I had misjudged the temps when I was traveling. The pills were in my suitcase. Its easy to do here. The temps vary by as much as 30 to 40 degrees between day and night,

Who is Russel Stover? Is that some of that frozen food stuff? Never touch it.

But, back to the original topic.
It would seem that the small dose of Ritonavir (100mg per day) in my combination has had no effect on my cholesterol levels. My total cholesterol is 3.3 mmol/L (127 mg/dL) which, according to my doctor, represents a record low for that clinic. This is actually a small decrease in total cholesterol: it was 3.4 mmol/L (131 mg/dL) before I started HAART.

When you consider I live in the heart attack capital of the world, it seems even more impressive!  :)

I know small doses of Norvir are not supposed to cause problems. but had a few minor side effects. Never enough to cause me to switch on their own, though.

I was on Lexiva, which isn't particularly lipid friendly. I wish I could have taken Reyataz, but that wasn't to be

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:03:15 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.