Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:10:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 503
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 475
Total: 476

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pregnancy Questions  (Read 12888 times)

Offline Coffeechick88

Pregnancy Questions
« on: May 22, 2008, 09:50:41 am »
Hi, I just thought I'd ask a few questions.  I will pretty soon hit the 38 week mark--and not one bit of sign that I am ready for labor.  I had been hearing that first time moms tend to give birth later, though I was hoping I'd be like my cousin, who went 2 weeks early with both children.  My doctor doesn't really care about trying to help me along after 38 weeks, and he told me that my appointment next week, he would try stripping my membranes to see if that helped matters any.  Has anyone had that done, and if so, did that work?  Are there any of those other remedies that work better?  I also am trying to convince the father to have sex with me to see if that helps, because I sooo want this baby out!  I am a little concerned, because the doctor acted like he could be on the large side, though he did say my pelvis had plenty of capacity for that (I'm still trying my best to not read that as him commenting on how fat I am down there and it didn't help that my co-worker said I had good "child bearing hips").  I also was wondering about the AZT for the baby, my doc acted like it should be fine, but I was wondering how well the babies tolerated and should I be concerned about it causing any bad side effects?
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Pregnancy Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 10:18:52 am »
Hi CC,

My daughter was right on time as far as my own calculations (and intuition) went, but according to the doctor, she was about ten days early.

That membrane stripping thing sounds like an invitation to infection to me. But then again, I'm a firm believer in letting nature take its course where childbirth is concerned. The baby will come when the baby is ready to come. Although having sex to try to convince it that it's time isn't such a bad idea and would be my favoured choice. I hear doggy style is the best position for that. ;)

Having "childbearing" hips has nothing to do with how much fat you carry on your hips, it's to do with the spread of the bones - including the bones in the floor of the pelvis. We get a hormone in our bodies during the last few weeks that enable these bones to spread - they're held together to an extent by ligaments. I ended up with a dislocated hip because of those hormones - thankfully it went back into place on its own without medical intervention. But it hurt like hell! (that wasn't during delivery, it was in my kitchen when I was stretching for a pot that was back in the corner part of the cupboard - you know, the bit in the corner of an L - if you know what I mean)

I can't comment really on the AZT and babies thing - my daughter was born before I was poz. However, I don't recall ever hearing anyone talk about their baby seeming to have side effects from it.

Good luck - you must be pretty close now! Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 10:31:48 am »
hi Coffee, don't know anything about any of that - just wanted to wish you luck
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 01:48:34 pm »
Coffee, I have no idea what "stripping of the membranes" means.  Doesn't sound like much fun, though.  I'm with Ann, go for the sex!

My daughter was born right on her due date (by the ultrasound done when I was like 8 weeks along). 

My daughter was born pre-me having HIV, so I can't comment on the AZT thing; but I do believe there might be a couple ladies on here who have had children while poz.  Maybe they'll chime in. 

Good luck and please let us know when the joyous occasion happens!
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Victory101

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:03:41 pm »
Hi Coffee

I had o laugh at the "child bearing hips". Where I come from, thats definitely a compliment. Having boyish hips is not considered attractive.

I have had 2 babies after my diagnosis and they had no problem with the AZT. In fact they seemed to love it. To date my lo loves calpol and taking medicine and I am convinced its because of their start in life. They are healthy boys.

The only problem I had and not many people seem to mention this especially with my second one was constipation. This is as a result of giving him formula. He used to cry in such pain (very heartbreaking for me) when he had to go. But it does settle.

All the best.
Victory.

Offline Victory101

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:04:57 pm »
ps both mine were born via elective ceasarian so I have no idea about stripping of the membrane either.

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 05:44:15 pm »
Congrats Vic-
I have never heard of the "membrane" thing either?  My first son was born a month early, naturally and was 8 lbs 7 ounces .  I had to work that day and offloaded an 18 wheeler of its pallets with an electric pallet jack so maybe all that vibration got me started?
All 4 of my kids took the AZT and didn't really mind it at all.  I would recommend having a nipple put aside just for this because sticking the suction thingy in thier mouths did not work so well, for me anyway.
I used cabbage leaves on my boobs to help with milk back up, that to me hurt more than the delivery and I didn't have any drugs at all the first time, just a shot in the ass and that had worn off by the time I delivered.

Good Luck.  Keep us posted on you and the baby are doing.

Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 06:11:33 pm »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline catwoman

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 04:20:05 am »
Hey Coffee.  I'm so not feeling the membrane stripping.  I think it's invasive.  I'm 31 weeks with my first and I've been doing so much reading and studying.  I don't think it's too late to google up Ina May Gaskin and read some of her stuff on childbirth.  She is the most popular midwife out there.  I tend to think along the lines with the midwives and I refuse to allow my doctors to scare or intimidate me.  Also watch, "The Business of Being Born" just so you are informed.  Let that little boy come when he's ready. 

tendai

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 11:05:05 am »
  Are there any of those other remedies that work better?  I also am trying to convince the father to have sex with me to see if that helps, because I sooo want this baby out! 

hi coffee, i just wanted to ask, about that. having sex will make you give birth earlier??

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 03:15:03 pm »
hi coffee, i just wanted to ask, about that. having sex will make you give birth earlier??
It is possible that sex can help you move along toward labor, even trigger labor.  One way is by prostaglandins in semen, which can help ripen the cervix.  A similar formula is used in the hospital to help the cervix soften.  Another possible way is that orgasm stimulates the release of oxytocin, which is a cousin of pitocin, which is used in the hospital to help induce labor.  It doesn't always do the job, but it can, and those are two mechanisms on how it can help you.  It is not to say it will start premature labor--sex is okay during all months of pregnancy unless you are told otherwise--it is just a remedy used by women who are close to giving birth, but want to do whatever they can to try to make it happen.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »
Hey Coffee.  I'm so not feeling the membrane stripping.  I think it's invasive.  I'm 31 weeks with my first and I've been doing so much reading and studying.  I don't think it's too late to google up Ina May Gaskin and read some of her stuff on childbirth.  She is the most popular midwife out there.  I tend to think along the lines with the midwives and I refuse to allow my doctors to scare or intimidate me.  Also watch, "The Business of Being Born" just so you are informed.  Let that little boy come when he's ready. 
My doctor hasn't tried to scare me.  I was actually the one who tried to see if there was anything he could or would do.  I am just sooo uncomfortable and the thought of him getting any bigger kind of freaks me out since he will be coming out of my vagina.  Though the doctor has said his size isn't worrisome to him and that he'd tell me if my baby was getting too huge.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Veritee

• Post Natal Illness Support
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 03:37:13 pm »
well it was a long time ago as my daughter is now 18

But I had the 'stripping of the membranes' - sweeping it is called in the UK  - and it hurt like hell and did not work

I ended up with a c section anyway and lots of problems and I did at the time feel the 'sweeping' had made this all more likely .

But I can not be sure ???
And I am not a doctor so do not know.
But good luck - I am sure your baby will come when ready

They did the sweeping on me only to find that when she was born she was too small to be full term so someone had their calculations wrong and I do not think it was me as I told them this.

i was told that sex could bring you to labour but only due to the hormones or something in semen - and if you or he are HIV you do not want to have unprotected sex at that stage or anytime .

I was not HIV then so I tried to get my husband to have sex for that reason but he would not oblige  >:(

He said the thought of sex for that reason turned him right off ;D

Good luck with the birth and say hello to the baby from me

Veritee XX
I have a blog here, please do not judge me on what I say here- I need to offload and this is where I do it: http://hiv-and-us.blogspot.com/

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 06:32:39 pm »
I cant tell you anything about the meds and childbirth. They refused to medicate me while I was pregnant with my last child in 1992. I think at the time they may have been doing trials on pregnant women but of course no one told me that.

Anywho.

Both my boys hung out till I was 41 weeks pregnant and I tried everything. Doing squats, walking up and down stairs, sex, ect.
I used castor oil to induce labor both times. Its a laxative so if you take too much you'll regret it. The castor oil since it is a laxative it causes your abdomen to cramp and that can induce labor.

My daughter in law just had a baby and her OB was against her taking castor oil. No clue why.

So its not a suggestion. I'm just saying it worked for me.

I would suggest doing squats and walking. But when you do the squats make sure you have a spotter incase you cant get back up. LOL

Good luck on the birth of your baby.

Offline catwoman

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 12:01:57 am »
Oh,ok Coffee.  :D  I'll be feeling your frustration in few weeks anyway too.  Another old school remedy is nipple stimulation.  They say it helps the uterus contract because it helps the body release oxytocin also.  For the castor oil, you can take one tablespoon at breakfast.  Then take one more tablespoon an hour later if you have to.  Good luck and keep us updated.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 12:30:28 pm »
Well an update.  Last week, I decided to not get the membrane stripping done.  But what really gets me is that I wasn't even dilated any, so I don't know if he would have been able to do it anyway.  I was hoping for at least 1-2 cm.  Hopefully there will be some change this week.  I have tried walking more, squats (with another person around to help me get up), and sex, but with this huge stomach I have, let's just say it was very awkward going, to say the least.  I have to hand it to the guy for being willing to help me out, but he actually was kind of turned on, so that helped me in the self-esteem department.  Wow, exactly one week until my due date!
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 02:18:31 pm »
Everytime I read the stripping thing I feel like I'm going to pass out. I'm glad you didn't do it though i am not sure what it is but I am not asking (shudders)...

How come other people's pregnancies always seem so short?  ;)

Good luck with everything - here's to a quick 'n easy (well, easier) birth!

"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline catwoman

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 11:03:33 am »
Woohooo!!!!!  Countdown, countdown, countdown!!!!!  Waiting for this bundle of joy!!  We can't wait.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 02:39:31 pm »
I know the last month is a total pain in the ass.
I'm glad to hear you are toughing it out and not doing the membrane stripping.
That just sounds so invasive. I'd want to avoid any extra blood exposure during the birthing process.

I wish you the best and hope you have an easy painless delivery.

Offline spicy1

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 09:50:52 am »
Hi coffee

My son took AZT for 6 weeks after birth and suffered no side effects. He is 3 months old now and doing great. About the constipation coz of formular milk, a tea spoon of raw sugar or treacle sugar a day eases the constipation.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.