Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:33:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 604
Total: 604

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ending the Clinical Trial...  (Read 3929 times)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
Ending the Clinical Trial...
« on: November 08, 2006, 09:54:09 am »
As many of you already know, I am in a clinical trial for UK-427 (Maraviroc) a new entry inhibitor from Pfizer. I started the study in Colorado, and then when I moved to North Carolina, they transferred the study with me. I have decided to quit the study. The reason is simple: the clinic I am going to just filed bankruptcy!

When I moved out here, Dr. Jemseck of the the Jemseck clinic was admonsihed by the medical board for treating lyme disease patients outside of recommended treatment protocols, and his punishment was a loss of license with stay. Meaning, he can continue practicing medicine but they are watching him...and insurance companies have begun to pull their relationships from him as well. Now the bankruptcy...call me a cynic or what ever, but I have to make the right choices for me at this point...so, because this is the only institution that is conducting the study...I have no other choice but to end the study.

I have found another dr through a friend here, so hopefully it will be better. I see him today! And from what I hear, he is really cute, on top of being gay! Yay me!!

But I wanted to your all's opinion on this...I feel I am making the right choice!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Ending the Clinical Trial...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 10:02:08 am »
Hey Jeromy,
Jeeze, what a choice to have to make! Given the fact this doc is probably not going to be practicing much longer, I don't see where you have much choice.

How has the study been going so far? Is there any possibility the new doc could take up the reins and allow you to finish it?

I know precious little about these types of studies, I really can't give you any real suggestions.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:47:58 am »
Hey Mark...well you see Pfizer has to pick the clinitian and stuff...so it looks like I will need to swtich regimens...but the study has been good so far. I mean it has kept VL down and CD4 up, so I can't complain there, and the meds are free...so, I will have to get used to the idea of paying now...eep! But, I want to see if I can do the atripla once a day regimen...hopefully...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 11:09:08 am »
Jeromy.

Probably just as well. Maraviroc has been getting some bad press lately.  Here's what Tim HOrn has to say about the drug. This article was taken from a PAPER presented at the Intl. HIV/AIDS Conference in Toronto this past summer.

Also apparently there was some issue about the ethics of the study in this ARTICLE dated a year and a half ago.

robert

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 12:17:16 pm »
Yea, I know all of this...I was counseled on all this and signed the consent form...but, I am not really comfortable seeking treatment from a clinic that is filing for bankruptcy and whoes doctors are leaving to open their own practice...hmmm...just not having any of it!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 12:57:22 pm »
Hi Jeromy.  Here are some of my thoughts: 1) You can contact the pharma. testing the product and find out what options you might have.  Sometimes you, as a patient, have a different pull than another provider, a provider who might or might not want to be in a relationship with the pharma. and its study.  You do want to be careful when you change course if only because this is your first treatment and it is working.  You don't want your particular hiv virus to be able to work around the type of drugs you are currently on.

2) I would agree with you totally that if the clinic is going into bankruptcy, you don't want to be going there but you do, absolutely do given your recent diagnosis, want and need to get any and all medical records of yours from them in hand (and not promised to be sent in a vague future).  Any new doctor, however gay and cute, will need to know where you started and were you got to so he can figure out a course of direction with you.  And know from my perspective that the fact that you are taking control of your treatment along with your doctor is very, very important and positive. 

3) You mentioned later that cost was now going to be a factor.  I hope that you know about ADAP in your state or can Google it for contact info.  You may or may not have or need a social worker to help you negotiate things.  Since I don't know your employment status, etc., all of this will factor into this.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 07:31:10 pm »
New doc is great! He totally understands what's going on!! I am contacting Pfizer to find out what I need to do about the study, but the doc and I talked about an alternative regimen...so it looks like I have options.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline poet

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 08:09:52 pm »
Great news, Jeromy.  I hope your approach makes its way to others who may be facing the same problem.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline RobT

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 11:33:25 pm »
Gr8 news Jeromy. Glad to have u back. Now how is the new doc?

RobT

Current meds: Truvada/Sustiva
VL: undetectable
CD4: 564
Current meds: Atripla
CD4: 630

Offline poet

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 06:56:32 am »
That was an x rated scene which cannot be posted here. :) Win

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 03:01:42 pm »
Gr8 news Jeromy. Glad to have u back. Now how is the new doc?

RobT

Current meds: Truvada/Sustiva
CD4: 564

Video comes out next month!! ;D
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 03:42:33 pm »
For a moment, I thought the PA was the trial and here it is only meds ;) Hope it all works out for you, Jeromy.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.