Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:20:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 445
Total: 445

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Website Launched for HIV Controller Study  (Read 4884 times)

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
New Website Launched for HIV Controller Study
« on: March 05, 2008, 08:40:14 am »

For those folks who follow the story on LTNP/Viremic/Elite Controllers, a new website has been launched by Dr. Bruce Walker's group in
Boston (Partners AIDS Research Group) that presents a detailed explanation about who is eligible for the study, why they are of interest,
and an update on the state of the research. It may serve to clear up some of the confusion of the last three years that has been prevelant
about this unique group of individuals in the world who control HIV naturally.

Under the News Releases tab, Massachusetts General Hospital published a Press Release yesterday, March 4th, about a very generous grant
of $20.5 million from the Gates Foundation to the study.

http://www.hivcontrollers.org

I'd like to thank each of you involved in this study for your contributions, and for those of you who may be interested in joining, you now have
a more user-friendly site to gain insight and education.

My best....
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Funkengruven

Re: New Website Launched for HIV Controller Study
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 01:10:24 pm »
Zephyr (or anyone else enrolled in this particular study),

I've been positive for about 2 years.  From the time of my diagnosis, my CD4s have increased from about 550 to almost 900 and my viral load has been in the 150 - 1200 range.  Also, I am not on meds.  I do find this study and the thought of giving something back to my community very appealing.  I don't live in the Boston area, but it seems that they could work something out with my doctor in regards to obtaining a blood sample on my next draw.  My question, and maybe I just missed this while going through the Web site, is this a one time thing, or would they like multiple samples over time?  Also, is a blood sample all they need or is there something else they would require or need of me?

Thanks for any input.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:13:04 pm by Funkengruven »

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:23:50 pm »
Hi Funken

I've  been in this study for four years now.

It is my understanding that for most people enrolled in the study, a one time blood draw of about 10 vials is all that is needed. Generally this can be done at your Dr's office and then shipped to Boston. The study has systems in place to assist your doctor with this.

Some people have given whole blood donations in Boston and some are followed over time. I've done both, though I'm not sure what the criteria for that is.

I was tested poz in '85 though likely became infected in '81. I'm considered to be in the subgroup of the study sometimes termed 'elite' controller. There are a number of other forum members who are in this study.

If you have further questions about the study, you can use the contact e-mail and/or phone number listed on the web page for the study. You might also ask your Dr. to contact them.

There is another study that you may qualify for if you are interested. It is at the NIH (National Institutes of Health) in Bethesda, Maryland. Here's a link with info on the study and contact info for them. I'm also in this study.

http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/healthscience/clinicalstudies/HIVandInfectious/HIVstudies/LTNP.htm

It's termed a Long Term Non Progressor (LTNP) study but you may qualify for it. Again, there are several forum members who are in this study  This one involves traveling to Bethesda. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your interest in being involved in studies. Each person does make a difference in the research efforts !

I hope this helps. May your good health continue.

Hey Zephyr, Good to see you back here ! Thanks for posting this  :D

Cheers
Paul
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:15:03 pm by OzPaul »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:27:43 pm »
Hello Zephyr,

Thanks for posting this. There are, also a lot of good links within your link to check out.

Thanks------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 08:18:44 pm »
Hi Funken,

In the last few years, I've contributed three times--all long distance.

They FedEx the vials, consent form, nurse at my clinic does the draw, ships them back to jibe with the study's lab ship out day(s) of the week.

And, if I recall correctly, the study then sends $100 (per draw and unrestricted) to the clinic. Nope, it doesn't go to the participant, but it's another feel good because in my case, the clinic puts it toward nice things for patients.

Happy donating!
Em

Zephyr,

Thanks for citing the site. That ought to help them increase their recruitment numbers. And, they did a good job with it.

Em
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:26:47 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Funkengruven

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 11:35:34 am »
Thanks for the replies and info everyone.  I'll shoot the researchers and e-mail and have a talk with my doctor on my next visit.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.