Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:38:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 360
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: women, hiv, research data....need some info  (Read 3688 times)

Offline dvinemstre

• hot in carolina
women, hiv, research data....need some info
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:25:15 pm »
hi all, i am fairly good at locating and tracking information on research about most anything, but find research and straight up answers to HIV + female related questions to be somewhat difficult to find. I have read a number of posts on here when people write about "should I worry" or "was I exposed" and thought maybe someone could help with a question i have. If in fact the HIV+ risks in female + to make - transmission are mainly a factor of HIV+ cells being on, near, or coming from the cervical area, then does that mean when my uterus and cervix are removed that my risk of infecting someone else through vaginal intercourse will be diminished. I have not had a blood involved menstrual cycle since a year before I as infected. I may be having to have a full hysterectomy due to HIV unrelated concerns. I was just wondering if someone on here could point me to some answers, research, etc. I have to decide/elect whether to try and retain my cervix...I know this sounds weird, but its for real. thanks, Zan

Offline emeraldize

Re: women, hiv, research data....need some info
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 09:43:14 am »
What an interesting question. I'm going to ask my doc that one.

I would ask you why, with an opportunity in one fell swoop to say bye-bye to the risk of cervical cancer, would you want to keep your cervix? What benefit do you see in keeping it?

Mine was removed as part of a hysterectomy and my life is now PAP smear-free. The latter benefit was recently derived as docs differ as to its necessity once the cervix is removed. My new ID doc is also my PCP and she views a PAP unnecessary for me and I agree.   Hurrah!

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:26:38 am »
At the risk of startling people -- yes, a Gay man can appreciate "female plumbing" and want the best for gyno outcomes -- I offer the following link to a 2005 journal article summarizing a retrospective study regarding hysterectomy outcomes in HIV+ women.  From the small population set, I read the central message for doctors as  "don't look at HIV as a complicating factor."

http://www.hindawi.com/Getpdf.aspx?doi=10.1080/10647440500147901
Outcomes of hysterectomy in HIV-seropositive women, Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gynecology, September 2005; 13(3): 167–169

I'm perplexed as to why urology articles got appended in the PDF, though.

Namaste,
David

P.S.  I found a few more articles on subscription sites which I could access with my grad school account.  PM me if you'd like the PDFs.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline dvinemstre

• hot in carolina
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:30:10 pm »
thanks for the input and i will read it closely. As for keeping the cervix, wellllllll there are a couple of reasons 1) my surgeon does not perform hysterectomies with cervix left intact so it would certainly be a factor 2) I am multi and highly orgasmic and that comes from the sensitivity of my cervix, so I am concerned about losing that as well as the natural cervical lubrication. My new regime of using latex condoms or any condom complicates things because they can be irritating. Also, I do not bleed since I had an ablation two years ago....I would prefer to keep the ole cervix, but now I am pretty much at a place to say take it all, leave the one good ovary and then fold in a tummy tuck. I appreciate the information. As with most things in the medical field women and minorities get the least research. As for redhotmuslbear, no surprise for your response...thanks! My cousin is gay and lots of my friends are gay and their natural intelligence and curiosity about most things far surpasses the straight men I know  8) thanks all, Zan

Offline dvinemstre

• hot in carolina
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 12:40:00 am »
hi, met with my gyno surgeon today and thought i would share...she said, well, I have no idea but that's an interesting question. I will ask someone who knows more than I do about it. Then we chatted a bit and she said, well one thing for sure you could do xyz test ( don't remember which one but checks for viral cells in tissue) one your procedure is completed and we can see if there are any viral cells there...cause one the vagina is not open it may not contain hiv cells. she also affirmed there is only a teenie, tiny bit of research for women about women. thanks, zan

Offline poodlelover

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 03:32:29 pm »
What an interesting question. I'm going to ask my doc that one.

I would ask you why, with an opportunity in one fell swoop to say bye-bye to the risk of cervical cancer, would you want to keep your cervix? What benefit do you see in keeping it?

Mine was removed as part of a hysterectomy and my life is now PAP smear-free. The latter benefit was recently derived as docs differ as to its necessity once the cervix is removed. My new ID doc is also my PCP and she views a PAP unnecessary for me and I agree.   Hurrah!

You still should have pap smears even if you have had a hysterectomy.  I can't believe any doctor would say otherwise.  I had hysterectomy in 1998 and 4 years ago had a bad pap smear and had to have BX and treatment.  I also have a friend that developed cancer on the vaginal walls  which spread to her bladder almost died, after several surgeries that left her looking not so attractive in that region and chemo she is still with us.
Connie

Offline dvinemstre

• hot in carolina
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 05:15:10 pm »
not to be overly pedantic, but it is not a pap smear when you have no cervix. It is a vaginal smear. When and how a doctor decides with the patient to continue to take samples is mainly due to past history of patient, family history, and other risk factors. cancer of the vaginal wall is actually very rare. thanks, Zan

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:45:25 pm »
Isn't "female parts" cancer highly or only related to HPV? isn't being HPV- some kind of reassurance? i understood that it's the HIV-HPV correlation (easier to catch 1 when you have the other) that makes poz women more at risk. I could be wrong though, input appreciated.
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.