Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:45:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 457
Total: 458

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What foods should I avoid/be eating?  (Read 18673 times)

Offline chemistry001

• http://www.mygaydar.com/chemistry001
What foods should I avoid/be eating?
« on: August 21, 2006, 08:42:26 am »
Hello

I've looked through most of the threads on this forum and it seems that when your CD4 count is low (mine is 9) some foods should be avoided like sushi (bugger).
I'm a veggie but i eat fish when possible (once or twice a week) should i be taking omega 3 supplements and multivitamins, I'm soon to start on Sustiva and Kivexa (don't know if that makes a difference). Any help would be grateful as i want to start taking care of myself and eat the right foods and get well.
I'm in the UK so some brand names will not mean a great deal to me if your writing from the States or other overseas countries.

Many thanks

Paul
Diagnosed 01/08/06
CD4-9, VL->500,000, CD4% 1
Started on Sustiva/combivir 22/08/06 changed to kivexa 18/09/06
02/10/06
CD4-50, VL-1496, CD4% 5
04/12/06
CD4-112, VL-125, CD4% 7.5
22/02/07
CD4-121, VL-<50, CD4% 9
29/05/07
CD4-125, VL-71,(re-done 149), CD4% 11
25/09/07
CD4 -231, VL-74, CD4% 15
Cant remember the next few dates
17/01/08  Kaletra and Truvada
CD4 - 281, VL-115
06/03/08
CD4 - 287, VL-178

Offline Christine

Re: What foods should I avoid/be eating?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 09:57:46 am »
Hi Paul,
I can tell you what I do. My tcells are 17, and have been low for a few years.  I don't eat any raw meat, fish. I make sure all cooked meat is well done. I wash all veggies, fruit with hot, soapy water. Some list members also do a weak wash with bleach.

I no longer eat cold cuts, or lunch meats. I had a bad case of food poisoning last year with a turkey sandwhich. When eating out or at a picnic or something similar, I don't eat foods that have mayonnaise since I don't know how long they have been unrefrigerated- potato salad, macaroni salad, plain mayo on things....

I don't eat raw eggs, or uncooked meringue.

I try to eat protein with everymeal. I try to limit sugar which is hard because I have a huge sweet tooth. I try to eat mostly whole grain foods, unprocessed foods. I have a water filter on the tap.

I don't drink, don't smoke. In general, if the food is questionable at all, I don't eat it. If my t-cells were higher, I would not be as strict, but after the food poisoning event, I am sort of paranoid about what I eat.

Hope this helps!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline chemistry001

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 11:05:35 am »
Many Many Thanks Christine,
Just what i was looking for, some good advice. Time to clear out the refrigerator and cupboards and go shop.

Paul xx
Diagnosed 01/08/06
02/10/06
CD4-50, VL-1496, CD4% 5
04/12/06
22/02/07
CD4-121, VL-<50, CD4% 9
29/05/07
25/09/07
CD4 -231, VL-74, CD4% 15
CD4 - 281, VL-115
06/03/08
CD4 - 287, VL-178

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 01:01:26 pm »
http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/start/articles.asp?article_ID=183  try this link,

Foods to Eat

Whole grains

Vegetables, especially green, orange, and yellow vegetables and roots, all of which boost immunity

Beans, especially soybeans and soybean products, such as tempeh, tofu, tamari, and miso

Seaweeds: small amounts daily to increase trace mineral consumption

Nuts and seeds in very small amounts

Shiitake and reishi mushrooms are powerful immune boosters.

Chlorophyll-rich foods, such as microalgae and cereal grasses, are antiinflammatory and immune-enhancing.

Foods to Avoid

In addition to avoiding the following foods, do not eat too much food, do not eat late at night, and eat simpler food combinations.

Meat

Sugar

Dairy products

Alcohol

Refined foods

Chemicalized food

Processed food

Oils and fats (minimize)

Recreational drugs

John(UK)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 01:16:24 pm by Poz Brit »

Offline SirPrize

• SirPrize!
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 04:24:56 pm »
I have been on Sustiva for years and have determined that there are a couple of foods to avoid, especially as a late night snack before bedtime.  Be sure to follow the food interactions list that will accompany your Rx.

1) Peanut Butter 'n crackers - I get the dreaded "night terrors" every time.
2) Grapefruit and/or juice (consume moderately)
3) Any high-fat foods late in the evening (ergo, no pubfare late at night)

One thing I've found beneficial as a late night snack is a great big fat dill pickle. ;D  Honest to God!  Besides satisfying my late night cravings the vinegar and brine also helps to aid your digestion and curbs the symptoms of nextday bloating, gas, and morning nausea.  And as a final bonus, the nutritional label states they have "0" calories which is good since you have to watch your diet because the meds tend to elevate your triglycerides! Bon Appetit.
Due to current economic conditions, the light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarily turned off!

Offline Bradly1962

• My Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 12:18:07 am »
I'm a veggie too with occasional fish intake, but protein is important for our cells to maintain and rebuild themselves. Tofu is a good source, and although I don't normally eat a lot of dairy products, I do eat yogurt to help keep my gut populated with good bacteria, and therefore get protein from that too.

My T-cells have been as low as 14, and have recently been as high as 253, but dipped to 135. I'm hoping the selenium supplements will help.
Ignorance Breeds Intolerance And Intolerance Breeds Ignorance:::::Envision Whirled Peas!

Offline chemistry001

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 04:15:48 am »
Thank you all so much for your words of wisdom, your help is really well recieved. It's a bit of a minefield out there and now things are a bit clearer. Heres to a healthy body and soon to be good numbers.

Paul xx
Diagnosed 01/08/06
02/10/06
CD4-50, VL-1496, CD4% 5
04/12/06
22/02/07
CD4-121, VL-<50, CD4% 9
29/05/07
25/09/07
CD4 -231, VL-74, CD4% 15
CD4 - 281, VL-115
06/03/08
CD4 - 287, VL-178

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 06:44:07 am »
Foods to Avoid

Recreational drugs

indeed!!  :D  :D  :D

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 01:06:00 pm »
Just thought Id echo the food sanitation advice, with a low Tcell count, you really need to go the extra mile..
or, Kilometer..  I wash all of my Produce in a weak ( 1 0z. per Gallon)  Bleach solution regardless of whether it claims to be 'Triple washed' or whatever...  I believe that vinegar is also an effective food wash, although Im not sure of the proportion to use.  I'd also stick to bottled and filtered water ( dont forget to make Ice with filtered water too) 
Make absolutely sure that you cook your meats to the proper internal temp, and ya, sashimi is probablly off limits until your #'s improve,  Personally, if I had the TCell count you mentioned, Id avoid eating out alltogether but thats not always realistic.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline simon695

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 02:26:21 pm »
Don't Give Yourself A Hard time Over Diet You Will Find out What Is Good For You.
If You Live In The Us Then Good Luck Its Much Tougher There Than Rural Europe.
If You Buy Fresh Food Without To Many Addatives You Will Be Fine,if i wanted to eat
chocolate only then i would!Your Life Your Body Do As You Like,The Only Problem Is It Will
Answer Back Quicker!After A Trip To India Last Year I Think Carbs Kept Me Going When
Everything Else Was No-go.P.S Give Delhi A Miss Foir A WQhile.
For Me Fish, Chicken And Vegetables Are Good,Also Yoghurt ,Avocado,Bananas On Toast!
                Hygiene Is The Big Problem.
                           Good Luck G

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 12:39:36 am »
Hey Paul,
You have already had some sound advice. There are a few things I would add, though.

Eggs are a good source of protein and other nutrients, but never, ever, eat them raw (Caesar salad) or undercooked. No runny yolks or whites.

If you eat cheese, avoid soft-ripened cheeses such as brie and camembert. When purchasing other cheese, such as cheddar, swiss, etc., make sure it is made with pasteurized milk. Many aged cheeses aren't, so read the labels.

No raw milk or raw milk products. Even yogurt made from unpasteurized milk can be dangerous.

Filtered water or bottled water is a good recommendation.

Wash ALL vegetables and fruit before eating them, including bananas or fruit you intend to peel. There are prepackaged salads sold regularly these days. I wouldn't touch them unless I took them home and washed them myself.

By the way, what Christine said about cold cuts, (luncheon meats, bologna, salami, etc.) is gospel. They are among the most dangerous things you can eat and I have known many people who have become ill after eating them.

If you do want to use cold meats (sandwich meats, etc.,) microwave them for 30 seconds or until they are hot. That will help alleviate problems.

Make sure all meats are cooked thoroughly, no rare meat, steak tartar, or oysters on the half shell.

If you are buying pre-cooked meats or seafood, make sure they are not in the same case or on the same ice as raw meats/seafood. Cross contamination can do a number on you.

Above all, hygiene is crucial. Never use the same cutting board for animal products (meats, fish, poulty), and vegetables without washing it thoroughly.

Clean all utensils or use different ones for different chores, such slicing beef for stir fry and then slicing the veggies to go with it.

Watch out for the dreaded refrigerator lingerers. It is easy to leave food too long in the frig. The rule of thumb is after three days, its history.

When in doubt, throw it out. It is better to waste a little food than become ill.

If you have a dishwasher, use it. Many newer models have sanitizer settings and the heat sterilizes the dishes.

It isn't hard to live by these suggestions and they can save you a lot of discomfort.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 12:44:54 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline chemistry001

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 09:24:37 am »
Thank you all for your replies, your words have been digested (after a mild bleach wash) and i've put into practice many suggestions made, here's hoping everything stays ok and i'm still able to eat the foods i like safely.

Much love to you all

Paul x :-*x
Diagnosed 01/08/06
02/10/06
CD4-50, VL-1496, CD4% 5
04/12/06
22/02/07
CD4-121, VL-<50, CD4% 9
29/05/07
25/09/07
CD4 -231, VL-74, CD4% 15
CD4 - 281, VL-115
06/03/08
CD4 - 287, VL-178

Offline water duck

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 05:16:49 pm »
The last time i posted, i caused quite a stir with the mention that i only brush my mushroom and strawberries with a kitchen brush !! There are certain things especially food that in Europe that we DO NOT wash.
The only suggestion that i dare make you is do like ' à la grand mére' make a broth with chicken lots of vegetables - carrots, celery, onion, bouquet garni, then cook whatever you like in this broth - vegetables; meat; why because it will fat free and free from any additive !! I mentioned somewhere, if you have a rainbow on your plate, you will be fine !! EAT for a better health and enjoy yourself along the way.

Siang

Offline unfair

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 01:05:37 am »
is a vegetarian diet more advisable or rather a normal diet but with lesser or reduced meat consumption?
i find myself a bit lost here.

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 09:43:21 am »
is a vegetarian diet more advisable or rather a normal diet but with lesser or reduced meat consumption?
i find myself a bit lost here.

hmmmm, the best thing is to ask a doctor (an HIV doctor preferably) or ask for a referral to a nutritionist. broadly speaking, an all-veg diet is associated by many with low energy, especially by opponents of vegetarianism/veganism. personally i opt for a normal diet that's light on meat, heavy on vegetables and fruits and nuts
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 10:35:15 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline Soolip

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 02:26:36 pm »
My T-cells were, briefly, below 100. Now they float around 500-600. Though I have been ill in the past (shingles was probably the worst problem), I've been fairly healthy despite being  diagnosed in May 1986.

Here's my take on the whole nutrition issue. Life is for living, and one of the greatest pleasures in life is eating. I have never limited my diet in any way. I only avoid what I dislike, which isn't much: fast food (except for El Pollo Loco), large quantities of pasta (a little bit is ok, but a heaping pile of it turns my stomach), and snacky things like cookies and potato chips that come out of a package. I was allergic to soy for a period of about two years, which made me very sad. I now eat it with impunity :)

I have never taken supplements of any kind, mainly because I already take enough medication and more pills are too much trouble.

I adore raw beef -- especially Ethiopian Kitfo and Lebanese steak tartare. I eat these every one or two weeks, and enjoy every bite. I've never once gotten sick. I've never become ill from Sushi, either (which I adore).

Some of my favorite cheeses are made from un-pasteurized milk.

If you really LOVE food, eat what you want -- just don't overdo it. I exercise 4x a week, usually for about an hour and a half (weightlifting) and do 45 minutes of aerobic exercise twice a week. I'm in great shape, I eat what I want and I'm happy. And if I died tomorrow I wouldn't go regretting I'd missed out.

Offline panda

Totaly confused.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 03:47:21 pm »
Hi Ya ....
I've read all the suggestions here and must admit got confused.
I am veggie as well , since age 4 (I am now 32 !!!- female by the way).
Alway had hard time with this on going quesytions what should I eat ...
Anyway, with this whole cholesterol issue and lipo problem , I am realy confused for how and what should I eat. I know I should avoid fatty food , i eat salads, i eat potatop that i cook in the micro, i eat pasta and I know its not so recomanded ... white wheet... i looooove brad, so please tell me, should i stop eating brad and pasta? what about how times a day, should i eat many small meels or few bigs ? What is the later hour I can eat at night ? what kind of diet recomanded to help get fat profile lower? what about wheet grass/ has anyone tried it ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline bear60

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 04:48:25 pm »
Panda is confused because there are more than one way of thinking on this subject and ultimately its up to you Panda....to do what you feel is best for you.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 05:09:01 pm »
When I was first diagnosed I weighed 127 and had a cd of 15. 9 Months later on meds I have gained 55lbs back and am waiting on my latest cd count (they were up to 115 after 6 months) . The only way I added that much weight was by EATING, EATING, EATING. and then eating some more. I listened to my doctor and a nutritionist that specialized in HIV. And what they told me was pretty much the same that others have, fresh, colorful vegetables, lean meats, nuts, berries etc and to avoid raw eggs, meat, fish, etc. and to wash thoroughly any fruits and vegetables. That being said the biggest thing the nutritionist told me was not to panic and to make sure I didn't lose my love of eating by analyzing every little thing. That if I freaked over food that I would lose more than I gained.

Now I like to eat and yes I love a thick steak, but now I make sure it is well done and have a baked sweet potato instead of rare and a white potato. Green vegetables instead of rice, etc, etc...yadda, yadda.

The dietitian gave me that "superfoods" book which I found helpful because of the range of items it gave me. Check out your local library or the internet for all kinds of suggestions.

Fortunately I live in the mountains and my water is pure snow/glacier melt with no additives and I don't use bottled water, but I do use a filter.  But that is for my situation after talking to my doctor, not to tell anyone else what they should do. But bottled water can be very expensive and I found a filter attachment worked well with me. I use the filter because the wilderness has all kinds of critters out here "What did the bear do in the woods? LOL.

In my experience I listened to my body and paid attention to how certain foods made me feel and then focused on the ones that made me feel better. I know that if I eat a few pints of blueberries instead of a few Big Macs then I feel better. And if I bake my own bread it tastes better and the mental aspect is a benefit as well. Kneading gets out a lot of frustration. But each person is an individual so find out what works best for you.

I do know that I can eat healthy and its pretty easy. Buy Salmon in the individual packages and put the whole thing in the microwave, lay on a lot of brown mustard and seasonings and I'm good to go. I can make that at work. I keep frozen vegetables in the freezer at work instead of snoballs. If you buy frozen soybeans and bake them low (250) for hours to dry them out and then shake them with a good sea salt, they may not be Fritos but they give you the crunch and the salt, etc. There have been lots of little changes. If I had gone on a strict diet right up fron I would have failed, I know I would have, so I made changes, made them a habit, then made some more changes, etc.

There is a lot in the internet about healthy eating and recepies ( I live in the boonies so I do most of my research online) and the only unsolicited advice I would give is see if your doctor can recommend a diet for you in case there is something they would tell you not to eat or aviod with your mdes, etc. or if they can refer you to a nutirtionist or if your ASO has one available. Maybe even if they can refer a book that you can get instead of the dreaded copay. Just don't freak, there's enough to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Jeffrey

When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 12:23:44 am »
Hello Everyone,

I have read the posts and do have a few concerns/questions. I went to my doc in Sept (cd4-372/viral load-13000) and also saw a nutritionist. She told me that I have to be careful especially because I am diabetic as well. I was told that my good chlesterol was too low as well, 11 and should be 45. I do not like fish at all but does love lobster, crab, and shrimp. Is there anything else other than fish oil pills that could help this problem?

I am kinda confused on the fruits because I am told I should not eat a lot of fruits because it will raise my sugar. I also had the question about garlic, does it really help your immune system? Loves to eat it with steak or just about anything. I guess it is a good thing I love veggies but has been avoiding lettuce and spinach due to the e. coli scare. I guess I have been lucky by not getting ill because I have never heard of washing veggies in bleach but I will start.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2006, 07:33:38 am »
I have never heard of washing veggies in bleach but I will start.

i'd suggest you keep your mind open, meaning look into alternatives too. as far as the garlic question you can go here for starters:
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=940.0  8)

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 12:06:39 pm »
From what the news is saying I would avoid eating anything and stick to vodka! That's if you are in the US , and stay away from the Russian ones nothing but Grey Goose or Boru!
Just my thoughts
johnny
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 12:08:19 pm by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 01:50:53 pm »
From what the news is saying I would avoid eating anything and stick to vodka! That's if you are in the US , and stay away from the Russian ones nothing but Grey Goose or Boru!
Just my thoughts
johnny

how about we clean our produce with Grey Goose...

Offline o

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 07:59:57 am »
Hallo,

I thinkthe most important thing i stopped having after the diagnosis is sugar. i do not really know what advantage that will deliver but after the sugar, i also gradually eating anything which has processed food or ingredients. well, stopping doesnt mean i dont get sugar at all. there is sugar almost in everything, like from bread to many many things. but i for example do not eat deserts,  and so on...

i think the more i eat basic food with variety without addingsauces and so , i feel myself better by all means.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 05:06:17 pm »
i'd suggest you keep your mind open, meaning look into alternatives too. as far as the garlic question you can go here for starters:
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=940.0  8)

Hmmm, is garlic not good if you are on hiv meds? I'm not on any meds but tries to do what I can to boost my immune system. This is a lot to take in. Has heard of moducare too but when I went to GNC they did not have it.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline chadnla

• Relaxed in SoCal
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 09:56:57 pm »
i'm all for the grey goose washing, however belvedere makes the veggies even smoother.   ;D
"I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing."

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 04:48:58 pm »
i'm all for the grey goose washing, however belvedere makes the veggies even smoother.   ;D

yup, your salad will have some zing baby. i would have to pass it over though
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 07:14:09 pm by allopathicholistic »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.