Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:37:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 363
Total: 364

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Working Out With HIV  (Read 10632 times)

Offline Central79

Working Out With HIV
« on: February 24, 2007, 09:40:06 am »
Hey All

I've just started back in the gym after my spending a year post-diagnosis stunned and looking at my naval. Being a vain gay guy I guess I'm wondering if I will ever see my former glory  ;), or whether HIV affects muscles during the asymptomatic phase of infection. I know that symptomatic HIV infection often wipes out muscle mass "wasting", but I'm thinking subtler changes earlier on.

I know that people can get a whole load of neurological conditions, and I don't think anything is happening on that front. I just feel different. Anybody share any experience of working out with HIV? Anybody taking steroids for muscle loss in later HIV infection?

Thanks. Matt.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Working Out With HIV
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:58:32 am »
When I first went on testosterone (it was shots back then, stronger than the gel) I was going to the gym five days/week and I looked really good.  The "t" allowed me to put on a good 10 lbs of muscle, and my frame is on the slim side naturally and hard to gain weight.  I was doing mostly free weights, minimal cardio, lifting heavy (or heavy for me... probably not for someone else!)  Anyway, I looked nice enough to take my shirt off on a dance floor... and really, isn't that the sole reason to do all of this?

I need to rejoin a gym here.  When I moved 2 years ago I shopped working out.

Oh, and Matt, sometimes the wasting can make you have a decent "lean body mass" if you have it measured... at least it did for me.  I forget what my number was but it was quite good.  Unfortunately any fat I have does not disperse anymore and goes to my gut -- and I mean subcutaneous which you really can't get rid of or if you can it's extra extra hard.  It's not fat flabs on the side like normal people.  The rest of my body is very lean, and I can build up my biceps/triceps easily and also the pecs.  Legs are quite hard for me because I've definitely thinned out there due to HIV.

Hey, maybe that's why I stopped going to the gym.  ::ponders pathetically::

I really shouldn't, and actually don't, care at this point and will just go to the gym to be healthy.  There's  a reasonably priced one about 7 blocks away -- nothing fancy, just a small neighborhood gym.  My hood is VERY Italian though so I hope to see some hot stallions there.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 11:25:48 am »
philly, do you live in south philly? below the south street?

well, i thought i was experiencing wasting syndrom, but i gained almost everything back, and probably 5 lb more than what i used to weight long time ago at my prime.

the facial fat came back the last, but it seems like it did. i was also put on a testosterone shot for tw weeks, and androgel after that. Man, those testosterone makes your work out awesome. They give you this certain ummph every set, and i got pretty bulky in just two months.

i just started this, so i don't knwo how hiv or the meds will change my body in the future, but so far, not much to complain about except for occasional pains in my feet and legs, erectile dysfunction which I hope will go away, and sometimes blood shot eyes.
Oh, also having to take those pills every morning is bad too. My skin tone, i noticed has been looking oxidized.

It really sucks, but what the heck.... I have no idea what i am living for now....
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline Esquare

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 01:54:43 pm »
I'm thinking of diving back in to working out regularly. I do wonder now if when I worked out regularly pre-diagnosis when I was infected for a few years if the reason that my strength seemed to level off unlike in previous years was due to the HIV infection or just my body and natural aging of muscles. I'm looking forward to finding out the answer.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 02:24:43 pm »
Yes, I live in South Philly!  Italian realness everywhere!  And I'm 7 blocks from the two really famous cheese steak places and the weekend outdoor Italian Market.

The great thing about Philly is the downtown area is SO walkable, and perfect when the weather is nice, if you stay away from Independence Hall, etc.  Tourists!

Offline ScooterTrash

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 03:00:36 pm »

The great thing about Philly is the downtown area is SO walkable,
That's a damn good thing... cuz the roads SUCK!
LOL

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 03:02:14 pm »
Matt.... working out is good for you.  If you have an OI or are otherwise symptomatic, you have to evaluate whether working out is appropriate for your particular condition.  But this is true with all diseases.  (and for that matter it's even true about the symptoms of aging).    The conventional wisdom is that excercize is very good for the human body (and mind).  Even if you don't get to become rock hard mister adonis, you still will feel better about yourself, and this is a good thing no matter how you look at it.

Which reminds me... I am heading to the gym right now.
I sure wish I had a workout partner... it's so much easier to stay motivated.

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 03:07:03 pm »
LOL

Do they here?  I would not know.  I've not owned a car since 1989.  I'm doing my part to decrease my carbon footprint and save the world from global climate change.

Offline ScooterTrash

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 03:41:50 pm »
Do they here?  I would not know.  I've not owned a car since 1989.  I'm doing my part to decrease my carbon footprint and save the world from global climate change.
That's great... Here's your gold star *
Vehicles that use alternatives to fossil fuel are currently in production. They will use the same roads.
My post was off topic and was simply a light hearted attempt at being social. I'll be more selective who I socialize with next time.
Didn't mean to hijack your thread Matt. Sorry

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 05:41:55 pm »
oh... so touchy!

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 11:08:21 pm »
Yes, I live in South Philly!  Italian realness everywhere!  And I'm 7 blocks from the two really famous cheese steak places and the weekend outdoor Italian Market.

The great thing about Philly is the downtown area is SO walkable, and perfect when the weather is nice, if you stay away from Independence Hall, etc.  Tourists!

one of my teacher from highschool owns a cermaics studio in south philly, and i used to go there for the italian market. aren't there a lot of vietnamense peopel in that area as well?

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 11:09:34 pm »
LOL

the road sucks because they are trying to maintain the cobblestone for historical purpose....

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 11:11:31 pm »
it seems that hiv or the meds are making us all age faster,,,, if you look at someone in their 70s or 80s, they have very similar body as someone who has lipo such as big belly, skinny arms and legs and sucken cheek. maybe tons of antioxidents to help combat the fast aging process might work?

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 02:07:16 am »

Yeah Genos and Patsy's   Me and my wife would stop in Philly on weekend trips when we lived in Maryland, We would visit relatives in Jersey, Connecticut, and sometimes stop in Brooklyn where I lived before Maryland.

I remember the 1st time I went to Patsy's my wife went to Geno's we compared I think Patsy;;s was my favorite though (steak cheese wit provolone)

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 02:12:33 am »
Hey All

I've just started back in the gym after my spending a year post-diagnosis stunned and looking at my naval. Being a vain gay guy I guess I'm wondering if I will ever see my former glory  ;), or whether HIV affects muscles during the asymptomatic phase of infection. I know that symptomatic HIV infection often wipes out muscle mass "wasting", but I'm thinking subtler changes earlier on.

I know that people can get a whole load of neurological conditions, and I don't think anything is happening on that front. I just feel different. Anybody share any experience of working out with HIV? Anybody taking steroids for muscle loss in later HIV infection?

Thanks. Matt.

I cant speak for Roids or Testostorone however my job requires me to stay physically fit so I do cardio vascular calisthenics, run a little, and I do go to the baseball batting cage frequently and hit fastballs you'd be suprised how strong just those workouts alone make me stronger and some cut. I also do Isometrics too. 

Exercise relieves a lot of stress which in turn makes me feel real healthy. 

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 02:37:13 am »
I've been poz for 14 years and I've worked out regularly pre and post infection. I sometimes wonder what kind of shape I would be in if I hadn't contracted HIV, how much better shape would I be in? I'm sure I would have been a gymrat either way. I know that I've had problems gaining weight but otherwise I have not noticed a problem with strength or endurance except when I some infection going on. I've never needed steroid. Personally I think everyone would be healthier and feel better if they exercised.

Offline rick21007

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 09:49:06 am »
Matt---
Prior to my being diagnosed in December and had lost significant muscle mass, especially in my upper body.  This due to a severe bout with acute hepB (which I contracted at the same time as hiv) and later with an OI that knocked me out for about 6 weeks.  Anyway I decided to join a gym 6 weeks ago. (I had been hiking a lot last year when I was not so sick just to get my stamina back so was in fairly good condition)  I do a daily cardio and weight circuit.  I have been totally pleased with the results.  I started with a 45" workout and am now at an hour and 15"  I've gained about 7-8 lbs but dropped a pants size at the same time.  Working out every morning has increased my overall energy plus it _really_ helps me to deal with stress.   Good luck!    Rick

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 10:03:10 am »
one of my teacher from highschool owns a cermaics studio in south philly, and i used to go there for the italian market. aren't there a lot of vietnamense peopel in that area as well?
Really?  I know Bear60 here on the forums knows all about the local ceramics scene.  Maybe he knows this person.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 10:05:32 am »
it seems that hiv or the meds are making us all age faster,,,, if you look at someone in their 70s or 80s, they have very similar body as someone who has lipo such as big belly, skinny arms and legs and sucken cheek. maybe tons of antioxidents to help combat the fast aging process might work?

I agree with this.  At the age of 32 (10 years ago) I could pass for looking 5 years younger, and at the present age I feel I look five years older than I do.  So in effect in one decade I aged at a double rate.

Or maybe I'm being hyper self-critical.  Since switching my meds 8 months ago everyone has agreed that this has stopped and I look better.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 10:07:39 am »
Yeah Genos and Patsy's   Me and my wife would stop in Philly on weekend trips when we lived in Maryland, We would visit relatives in Jersey, Connecticut, and sometimes stop in Brooklyn where I lived before Maryland.

I remember the 1st time I went to Patsy's my wife went to Geno's we compared I think Patsy;;s was my favorite though (steak cheese wit provolone)

After a decade of sampling (before moving here I used to visit a friend here who lived even closer to those places) I think Geno's has better cheese steaks because they are less greasy.  Pat's has better fries though.  I used to go back and forth on this though so maybe it will change, but it's what I do now.

I kind of overdosed on them when I moved here so now I don't go very often.

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 10:07:47 am »
Judging from your pic elsewhere, I'd have to agree that you are aging gracefully and your hyper self criticism is misplaced.

Cheers
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 10:11:04 am »
Well, I picked the best picture that seemed to mask the aging.  But maybe you're right.  But I am sure I looked worse a few years ago.  When I went to NYC a couple of weeks ago every friend up there said I looked markedly better.  My last years on multiple PI's really wrecked me physically and my change to fuzeon, while a pain in the ass at times, has paid off.

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 10:25:47 am »
I'm glad to hear you feel that it's paid off.  A little self esteem boost never hurts.  And, judging from the personality you project here ... and from you pic ... it stands to reason that you still attract more than your share of admirers.

Offline Central79

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 10:40:11 am »
Cheers guys for the advice. And thanks to the couple of you who PM'd me on the subject!

I think we could conclude this thread with: Roads in Philly awful, but good food more than makes up for it?  :D
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline SpiritsoaringOH

• One Good Man......(still kissin frogs)
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 05:15:17 pm »
Hey Matt...     I'm new here, again, lol.  But I wanted to chime in on your topic.  Working out will be the best thing you can do for yourself dude!  I speak from personal experience.  I have been committed to working out for 2 years now.  I started in a local gym and moved up to a well known one, for more social interactions.  I now am a personal trainer and have made fitness my life.  I have never felt better, ever.  I look good.  People tell me they are can't believe i'm my age.  But mainly, the one thing that keeps me motivated is, I tell myself, and belive it, that "I'm doing it for me"...
I would of never guessed I'd be where I'm at, after 15 1/2 yrs poz.  I smoked most of my adult life, but was able to put those down once and for all.  I was always a skinny dude, and hiv didn't help.  But once I kept going to the gym and stayed going, even on the most beautiful days when I would of rather been outside, it pays off.  It takes time though.  Don't get discouraged.  You can see a noticable change within the first month, and then it seems to stop...but keep it up man.  I haven't done any research on it, but I think that I develop at a slower rate because I'm poz...but you will develop.  One thing too...In the beginning I didn't think I had to do cardio, because I was already thin....WRONG.  Do it!  I do treadmill.  It really will build up your legs, not to mention increase your heart rate.  My suggestion to anyone is to get a personal trainer to help you learn and to keep you motivated.  Its good for the mind, body, and soul.
Hope it goes well for you man.  Peace, Brad

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 05:20:40 pm »

When I am not feeling extremely lazy, for me, its just push-ups sit- ups and pull-ups. And occassionally some squat thrust. Depending on how I am feeling on any given day, jumping rope for 10 to 15 minutes a day, helps to get that heartbeat up. I actually enjoy jumping rope. It's a good overall exercise in movement.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 08:38:34 pm »
I love to work out, it makes you feel great physically and mentally....

but i have a hard time gaining weight myself dont know if its the fast metabolism or is it has something to do with hiv and faster metabolism....No doctor would consider giving me andro-gel at 23 though (none i know anyways lol)

I seem to get tired quicker than i used to lately which makes my workouts suffer....seems i always have a cold, or am fatigued....hard to stay motivated when you dont feel 100% :-(
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 02:51:57 am »
I disclosed to a date once who asked me, "Why are guys who are positive always so muscular?"

So it (HIV) must make you sexier, but you have to go to the gym though...

Drew

Offline dixieman

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 10:08:46 am »
Why are guy's who are hiv+ more muscular? because with the depo sshots of testosterone I think thats a possibility... yes I agree the meds seem to make one age faster... I've always looked young for my age and now presently I'm starting to catch up in looks and age wise... so I just tell people I'm 60... and at 46 everyone is astonished at how young I look... lol

Offline Gilles

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 10:47:19 am »
Hey Matt, I am in a similar situation. Used to be quite defined a year ago but after my diagnosis I have stopped. But now two weeks ago I have started going to gym again.

I think putting on mass muscle is one of the best things you can do as the immune system remains strong and many HIV sites advise that the most effective excercise is to do body building as oppose to cardio.

I have found lifting weights so much harder this time though (used to do 80kg on bench before, now I can hardly do 50kg) , which is slightly frustrating. Hopefully I will manage to lift as much as I did before in couple of months time. Also drink Protein Shakes which I am sure you aready know about.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.