Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:16:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 369
Total: 370

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: It's been a while....  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Karmoni

• Poz since 2005..
It's been a while....
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:46:52 pm »

Hello Ladies..

I think I've only posted maybe twice in the past couple of years, but I do love to come to the forums and read what many of you have to say. I think I've learned more from you ladies than my ID Dr., so I just wanted to thank you all for sharing your stories, experiences, trials and tribulations.

My short story is somewhere in these forums but I have no idea how to post the link so I will just retell some of it.

I got my diagnosis Aug. 10, 2005. I was 23 and about 2-3 months pregnant. My first thought was, "How am I going to tell my family"?  I was more scared about their reaction than my actual diagnosis. At that time I only told my parents and my sister. They were so angry and sad. Angry at my daughters father for not informing me of his status and for pretty much up and leaving me when I told him I was pregnant and of course they were sad because I'm the baby in the family and well you know, nobody really want's to hear that a loved one has HIV.

My first mistake...  I met him online.
My second mistake... I didn't make him use a condom..

After my diagnosis I found out things about him I didn't know. He was married and at one time or other used drugs and shared needles.

I thought damn I'm so stupid. My mom's been educating both me and my sister about sex, pregnancy and STD's since before we were even 10, and I threw all of that out the window for what? I have no idea really. The only good that came out of being with him is my sassy 4 year old daughter Faith.   ;D

From 2005 til 2009 I hid from the world. I stopped going out, stopped talking to people, stopped living. I felt disgusting and ashamed. Disgusting because my appearance had completely changed. I had/have a crap load of acne, and gained tons of weight I can't seem to shed. Ashamed because well where I live almost everyone knows me, if not me then my parents or my sister. I was ashamed because my being HIV+ was most likely going to cause a lot of problems for my family. I hated the thought of one of them going somewhere and people pointing at them and whispering, "Their daughter/sister has HIV+".  Apparently I was the only one worried about that, my parents nor my sister really care what people say, to them.. I'm still "Karmoni"

I have since learned how to accept myself and this illness. It has shown me a lot about myself and those around me. Now I can tell most people, as if I was talking about my favorite ice cream flavor. I don't mind telling my story (every detail), because I'm hoping that maybe someone else will learn a little something from my experience. I spend every chance I get trying to educate myself about HIV/AIDS. I search, research and read as much as I can.

I had an undetectable VL with a CD4 count of about 1250 from 2005-2009. Last time I saw my ID Dr. my VL was about 238 and my CD4 count was still 1250 or so. I haven't seen a Dr. since, so God only knows what I'm at now.  I do have an appointment for next month so I will update as soon as I get those results.

Sorry for all the random rambling. All comments/questions are welcome..  :D

May God bless you all,

Karm...
~ Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is having the knowledge and not using it. Of these two, ignorance is forgivable. ~

Offline Snowangel

Re: It's been a while....
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:20:04 pm »
Welcome Back, Karmoni!!

Nice to hear you are doing better.  I checked your profile and I think we are in the same state unless you moved?  I grew up in central mass but now I am in Springfield.

I got infected in 94, got tested and started meds in 97 and have since had 4 kids, 2 pregnancies.

Look forward to seeing you post again.

Take care,
Snow

Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Karmoni

• Poz since 2005..
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:35:12 pm »
Thank you SnowAngel!

It's good to be back. I realized that just reading posts and not participating kind of sucked, well for me it did. I felt like the new kid in school sort of.  lol

I am still in Mass. had moved to FL last July but I moved back to Mass in Oct.. I was having a hard time getting health insurance over there so I had to run back home.  I <3 MassHealth.

I'm not on meds yet, a lot of people ask me why, including Dr.s. 

4 kids, 2 pregnancies.. what a blessing huh?

I still just have my one little girl but maybe in a few years I will find someone and my little family will grow.

~ Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is having the knowledge and not using it. Of these two, ignorance is forgivable. ~

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:59:43 pm »
That is good that you are not on meds yet, enjoy it while you can. :)  I hope it stays that way forever.

Just as long as your family doesn't grow like mine did, I had 3 the last time, lol.    But yes, they are all blessings.
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline duby60

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:02:22 am »
 I can almost fit in your story.One gets through tough times but with time it gets better.Take heart :)

Offline Karmoni

• Poz since 2005..
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 10:20:41 pm »
That's true. With time things do get better. I realize that now. I'm just glad its for the better and not the worse.  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.