Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:54:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Fingering & Cuts  (Read 26924 times)

Offline Paranoia

Fingering & Cuts
« on: May 31, 2006, 10:03:42 pm »
Hi,

Here is my threads in the previous web site: http://www.aidsmeds.com/Fusetalk/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=30548

Offline Mandy81

Re: Fingering & Cuts
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 10:05:01 pm »
You didnt even have a risk!

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:09:24 pm »
Paranoia,

And here is my reply from the other forum:

If you are having trouble trusting the advice given you by this forum's experts, then, by all means, get tested. You can join a long list of people who needed a neg test to stop thinking that they were going to be that one special person out of millions who was infected through an no-risk incident. It's your time and money. But if that's what it takes to lower your stress level, go for it. Right now, your self induced stress is a much larger health risk to you than HIV.

Morgan Landers

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:17:37 pm »
Hi Mandy & Morgan,

Thank you for your positive thinking comments, sometimes I am able to convince myself that I'm ok, but today, it is a tough day in my mind (reality in my mind) when I read some information that with a cut or chapped fingers is a theoretical risk. It is just that I'm fed up of thinking about that. I want to go get tested, by June 3rd, I will have completed 6 weeks since the incident. I can't wait any longer, it is driving me insane and I can't find a clinic that could perform a blood test and provide me the results within 24 / 48 hours. There are some private clinics, but I need to 1st go see my doctor for a blood test prescription, then go to the clinic and then wait again for my doctor to get back to me. I don't care if I have to pay, I just want to get it over with it, even if I am quite scared and freaking out. I have been reading my threads repeatedly and some other ones as well, it seems that we do not have any case related to fingering for which came out positive. However, I really don't feel like being the 1st unlucky one. I am seeing a psychologist and she is helping me a bit, but it is very tough at times. I feel really stressed and fed up, I do not know how I go through my regular days of work, talking with people, trying to have fun when I have this in my head. I really cannot take this anymore...

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:15:46 pm »
Paranoia,

First up Mandy is in no position to advise or comment in anyones thread other than her own. She should stay there.

Secondly, I disagree with Morgan. You don't need to test. You had no risk. Unnecessary testing wastes resources, raises health care costs and clogs up laboratories, delaying results for others who need them. Such testing won't really help you. What you need to do is keep working with your mental health professional for your unfounded fears of HIV.

MtD

/edited for a small correction/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 11:18:38 pm by matty.the.damned »

Offline LessonLearned

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 11:15:57 pm »
Why do you think the answers will change once your thread has been moved to this forum? There is absolutely NO risk in fingering, even with chap fingers, cuts, etc.

You are wasting your time, needlessly abusing your physical and mental condition to the point that a negative test will not relieve any anxiety. You will only find other things to pull you back to the idea that you were at risk.

Heed this advice. If you find yourself questioning anything about your pending negative test once it's completed, leave this forum and get a new therapist. You can get a test at a physicians office that will be returned within 24-48 hours. 1-2 weeks is way to looong to wait.

You do not have HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 11:20:52 pm »
Fortunately feelings aren't facts. Your mind may just continue coming up with scary scenarios for you but they have no basis in HIV science.

So sure, go ahead and get tested if you must for your peace of mind.

There's never been a documented case of transmission in this manner and you aren't about to make history by becoming the first.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 12:54:25 am »
I agree with matty about testing. I find it odd to imagine that a person who so thoroughly distrusts HIV prevention science will have an easier time accepting the science of HIV detection.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 05:26:41 am »
Paranoia,

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs. By sexually active, I mean someone who engages in intercourse or oral sex. If that description doesn't fit you, then you don't need to test at all.

If you are sexually active, you don't need to test over this specific incident, but if you aren't already having annual, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you use condoms for intercourse, every time, no exceptions, you can fully expect your routine hiv test to return negative results.

You will not become infected through fingering, no matter what sort of spin you want to put on it.

Either put this worry out of your mind completely, or go get a routine check-up up done and collect your negative result.

Use your head, use condoms and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 05:17:19 pm »
Hi Ann,

I called a clinic for some information and they mentioned that the regular test would take 2 weeks to get the results. However, they have a "faster", which can be available within 30 minutes. Would the 2 weeks test be the Elisa test, how about the other "faster" test, what type of test is it ? Is it as valid as the Elisa test ?

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 05:47:48 pm »
Paranoia,

Yes, it is just as valid.  Unnecessary, but valid. 

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 06:30:49 pm »
Paranoia,

If you had bothered to read the Welcome Thread, you would have clicked on the HIV Testing Lesson and read for yourself that a rapid test IS an ELISA.

One is as good as the other. (a rapid or a two week blood test)

Ann
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 08:22:49 am by iana5252 »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 09:42:16 pm »
Hi Ann,

I read the Lessons, but I must have misread that part and I apologize for that, because I know you are willingly providing your knowledge to us all and I would not want to waste your time on some questions I should answer myself, but thank you again.

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 02:42:59 pm »
Even though it has not been 13 weeks yet, I'm at almost week 7 and I went this morning for a rapid HIV test (blood sample) and it came back as negative. The Clinic I went will still forward my blood sample to the hospital for the regular test (this is their procedures for everyone) to compare the results. The doctor that I was appointed to told me (in his own words) the same as you have and that the regular test results should not be any different from the rapid test (hopefully).

Thank you for your support and knowledge.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 09:16:29 pm »
Paranoia,

Since you were never at risk for hiv, your negative test result is not surprising. 

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 08:55:04 pm »
Morgan,

A 13 week test would be useless, would not it ? Technically speaking, when we say the vast majority of people would seroconvert within 6 weeks, how much does this represent (% wise) ?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 09:21:15 pm »
Morgan,

A 13 week test would be useless, would not it ? Technically speaking, when we say the vast majority of people would seroconvert within 6 weeks, how much does this represent (% wise) ?

97%  serorconvert by 6 weeks. That's the conservative estimate. You are not in the 3% who take longer.

MtD

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 10:02:46 pm »
If 97% seroconvert by 6 weeks, then why do we usually have to wait 12/13 weeks ?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 10:06:49 pm »
If 97% seroconvert by 6 weeks, then why do we usually have to wait 12/13 weeks ?

Just to be sure, dear, just to be sure.

As many others here say, HIV is not something to make guesses about. The 12-13 week mark catches just about everyone. So everyone should test at 12-13 weeks. But you didn't even have a risk worth testing over. You had no risk at all, so this discussion of 6 or 12 or 13 weeks is rather academic.

MtD

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 08:35:10 pm »
Since last Sunday, I started to have a bad cold again, like I did in my week 1 of my incident (end of April). I have fever, all my muscles are aching and I feel like throwing up. Was there any case where someone got tested at week 6 with a negative result, but started to have symptoms after ? I know this may sound paranoia to you, but I just hope my cold is not HIV related. I also understand the previous threads, that most people that test negative at week 6, will also test negative at week 12-13.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2006, 04:36:21 am »
Paranoia,

How on earth could it be related to hiv when you haven't had a risk for hiv infection in the first place?

No risk equals no infection equals no hiv symptoms.

You've got a cold. Go to the doctor if it bothers you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 01:07:00 pm »
I have been reading Ann's link (http://www.inspot.org/std-info) regarding std's and it mentions that for HAV: "Sexual activities such as rimming, fisting, fingering, and anal intercourse can also put you at risk. Contact with something that's been in contact with the anus of an infected person can also transmit the virus". Is there any way that my incident might have transmitted me HAV ? I really hope not, they have mentioned that fatigue and fever might be some symptoms, I did have this in the past few weeks on and off. Should I get tested for Hepatitis A, B or C (mostly A as per the web site's explanation ?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 04:56:36 pm »
Paranoia,

Test for what you like, you weren't at risk for ANYTHING when you put your finger on a stripper's vagina.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 07:50:35 pm »
The "Lessons" section does mention that HBV is present in blood, semen, and vaginal fluids and is transmitted primarily through sexual activity. Is HBV easier to transmit than HIV ?

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2006, 09:25:48 am »
Paranoia,

Yes, much.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2006, 09:29:44 am »
Mrorgan,

Does this mean that I should worry about HBV and get tested ?

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2006, 09:36:49 am »
Paranoia,

Not for the incident you describe, but if you're having health issues, get your doctor's evaluation.  You can be tested for ALL STI's in one sitting.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 12:44:14 pm »
I have read several times your "lessons" section. Although, it does not mention anything regarding the risk of receiving a "handjob". Would this be therefore considered as a "low" or "no risk" ?

Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 12:59:25 pm »
It's a no risk.

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 05:50:59 pm »
I went to a massage center yesterday. I just noticed that I have a few scratch on my left hip. It has to come from the women who scratched me with her nails. Is there any danger of HIV infection through nails and some scratches ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 06:30:49 pm »
NO... Read the lessons and transmission sections. You'll find the links in the 2 post on this page that says, "Welcome" read first before posting.

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 07:37:39 pm »
I apologize in advance for being a pain. I looked within the "lessons' section and cannot find any information regarding nail scratches... May you please provide me the hyperlink ? I'm sorry if I am annoying you, but I just want to be informed. Thank you in advance for your patience.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 07:54:12 pm »
You know why you didn't find anything? You can not get infected in that manner. You did not have a risk.

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 07:22:06 pm »
Therefore, long nails creating scratches on my arm and waist with a little blood (my blood from the scratch) is not a way to transmit HIV ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2007, 07:37:32 pm »
Correct, you can not get HIV by being scratched by someone with long finger nails or short finger nails.

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2007, 10:48:53 pm »
Is it simply because there has not been any cases reported at all ? What would be the medical explanation ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 04:33:46 am »
There is no way of transmission.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007, 09:27:37 am »
Is it simply because there has not been any cases reported at all ? What would be the medical explanation ?

The medical explanation is there is no HIV virus in the fingernails TO transmit.  HIV is not on her skin either.  And for the most simple of facts, it just does not happen that way.  HIV is VERY fragile and does not live long outside the body.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 06:15:40 pm »
I also received a handjob from this same woman, I did not have any scratch or cuts on my penis, I did see if she had any cracks or scratches on her hand. Would this be considered as a no risk ? as confirmed previously ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 06:20:17 pm »
Yes, getting a hand job is a no risk. Did you bother to read the transmission link on this website like it said to do before you ever began to post. If you would have you would have known this answer.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2007, 06:42:20 pm »
Paranoia,

Hiv lives in our blood. It does not crawl around on our skin or lurk in cracks and crevices. It's in our blood. Inside. You are not going to get hiv from a positive person touching you or you touching them and that includes handjobs and fingernail scratches.

You did NOT have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2007, 08:45:52 pm »
Ann & Rod,

I thank you for your comments. It's just that everytime I get into a situation with a woman, I really have an anxiety problem, which affects my life very badly. Last Friday night, I went to a strip club and had a lap dance with one of the stripper. I kissed one of her breast. I did not notice if she had a scratch on her breast, but what if she did ? You see, the way I am right now, I don't know what to do. Everytime it is the same story, different scenario.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2007, 09:00:04 pm »
Paranoia,

A scratch on her breast? So what if she did? You should know by now that is not a transmission risk. Read your entire thread again - the answers aren't going to change.

I don't think you've learned a single thing in the year-plus you've been coming here. Your hiv fears seem to be far outside the scope of this forum and I suggest you seek out the assistance of a mental health care professional to help you learn to deal with your anxieties. We cannot do that for you here, you need to see someone face to face. Your doctor can give you a referral.

You will not be allowed to carry on asking the same basic questions over and over and over again. I don't think there's anything we can say to you that we haven't already said again and again.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2007, 07:18:22 pm »
Ann,

I read your link regarding condom info, however, I have a quick question. I live with my parents, therefore, I do not bring any woman home to have sex. Whenever I go on a date, I make sure that I have some in my car or on me. As for my car, I leave them in the trunk of my car in a little plastic bag. Now to my question, the condoms that I have were bought about more than 1 year ago, however, their expiry date is only in 2009. I kept some in my room, away from the heat and light, although, would those that I have in my car be ok to use ? Would the heat/cold damage its quality ? Thank you again for your support.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2007, 07:23:19 pm »
Para,

Extremes of heat and cold will certainly damage latex condoms. If your car has been out in the sun with the condoms in the trunk, you should get rid of them. You should not keep condoms in your wallet either, unless it's just for the evening. You should store them in a cool, dry place and take a couple with you when you go out on the prowl. If you don't use them, put them back in the storage place so they're ok for next time. Don't keep them in your car.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2007, 05:01:45 pm »
Ann,

Thank you for the information. I went on my date and we only had an open mouth kiss for not even 30 seconds. I was at her house, I know she took her shower before, but do not know if she brushed her teeth, so I do not know if she had bleeding gums, etc... I felt that she bit a little my bottom lip, but cannot confirm if there was any blood. I read other posts and you mentioned that no matter what spin we put on it, a french kissing is not a way to transmit HIV. I realize my anxiety problem and I am quite tired of going through some deep analysis everytime something happens, regarding if I am infected or not. Therefore, to move on... the main way to transmit HIV is sexual intercourse without a condom, correct ? Anxiety is a real pain and it is draining a lot of my energy to enjoy life as it is. Thank you again for taking the time to read my post and please do not remove my access to this site, as I find it very useful and helpful. Thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2007, 06:02:16 pm »
The way I see it you always have "just one more question."

And I suspect you will continue to come up with just one more of the same.

You've been well tutored here on what you need to know in terms of protecting yourself against HIV transmission.

What you're not dealing with and what we cannot help you with is what looks like some anxiety you have around your sexual activities and perhaps other issues. This is not the place to get that resolved successfully. You need to be talking with a professional and getting support about whatever is really driving your anxiety.

Good luck with doing that. Getting these kinds of questions answered is not going to help you with that problem.

Do yourself a big favor and get professional help.
Andy Velez

Offline Paranoia

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2008, 12:20:00 am »
Hi Andy & Ann,

It's been 2 months now that I have a girlfriend and since, I have used a condom for all our sexual intercourse. I was tested HIV negative in last December, that was before I met her, so I knew my status before that I was ok. However, regarding oral sex, I received oral sex from my girlfriend several times with no condom. For about 1 week and half, my testicles have been hurting. They have not swollen, it does not burn when I urinate or when having sex. No red skin, I do not have fever or any other symptoms. Tonight, I went to see a doctor regarding this pain and he is reallly stressing me out. I explained him my whole story and he simply told me without hesitation that it is chlamydia or gonorrhea. My girlfriend has no symptoms. I did an urinal test and waiting for the results, which may take 1 to 2 weeks. I also had something similar about 12 years ago, which was not that (no burn, no discoloration of my urine, etc...), I took antibiotics and it went away. May I please have your comments. Is chlamydia or gonorrhea a high risk of transmission via oral sex ? Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2008, 02:38:43 am »
It's not an HIV concern.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2008, 09:40:56 am »
This is an HIV-specific website. You've done the right thing by going to your doctor who will find out what is causing your problem and treat it. Even if you do have either of the mentioned possibilities or anything else for that matter does not make this an HIV situation. Nothing you have reported this time has put you at risk for HIV transmission.

Good luck in getting this sorted out successfully.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.