Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:50:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 614
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 591
Total: 591

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1994, NYC, Russell with the handlebar moustache  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
1994, NYC, Russell with the handlebar moustache
« on: October 01, 2012, 12:45:08 am »
I think sometimes, about how as a young man, I was careless with the feelings of others.   My ambition was calloused to the hearts and desires of those who cared about me.

When I think about the pain and hurt I caused, I usually think about Russell.  Russell was an amazing man who loved me with all of his heart.  He was the epitome in ideals of a want and desire that I was too young and immature to appreciate.   He loved me.  Less than I wanted, but more than I deserved. Easily the inspiration for a Touko Laaksonen drawing, Russell was male hyperbole incarnate.

A dark handlebar moustache, thick shoulders, and a trim waist, Russell titillated and scared me all at once.  His interest in me seemed almost surreal.  He took me to his apartment one night after a date, where I subsequently spent a great deal of time conflicted in desires.   I wanted to run from his place, and forget him forever, yet I also wanted nothing more than to hold him in my arms and cry.  I wanted to tell him that everything between us is and would be perfect forever. 

You see, it was 1993, and we found ourselves battling the stigma of what was believed to be a death sentence.   I had come to believe that if I coughed, I might kill him - or that if he coughed, it might kill me.  He had been living with HIV for almost a decade, and telling me his truth required more humanity on my part than I had been prepared to afford.

It's easy to tell yourself lies about your relationship, and to ignore the truths - at first.  The idea that we would ever develop our relationship beyond dinners, drinks, movies, plays, and other city nightlife never occurred to me, and I helped continue to lead him thoughtlessly toward a progression in our relationship that I, ultimately, could not allow.

Eventually, I cut him out of my life - like a dream I couldn't remember upon waking.  I gave him no reason, and no honesty on my true fear of the matter.

Sometimes when my mind wanders on my foolish youth, I wonder where he is - and wish I could find him, and hug him, and tell him how terribly sorry I am for hurting him without the explanation he deserved.  His heart was big - and never has anyone been so good to me as him. 

And though I've sought him - to explain my heart, and my sadness - I still have been unable to tell him what, I suspect through the stigma of his disease that he somehow knew all along.   Some truths of heart are too heavy to bear to another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZREVdPKlsQ
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 12:54:52 am by Strayboy74 »

Offline weasel

Re: 1994, NYC, Russell with the handlebar moustache
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 07:01:10 pm »

Hi  Strayboy  ,
                        I can relate to your story . It is a sad one indeed .

Life moves on and when we are old enough to know what could have

been it is too late .   Sometimes  on dark  sleepless nights I think of what could

have been   :-\     Maybe it is all just a pipe dream and what was meant to be

has been what has been a great life after all ? 

I hope you are doing well . 

))) HUGS (((

Carl   
" Live and let Live "

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
Re: 1994, NYC, Russell with the handlebar moustache
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:04:21 pm »
Weasel -

Thanks.   I'm going to NYC October 25-30.  I'm going to make a concerted effort to try and find him, though it's been about twenty years.   :/  The likelihood that I'll find him is very slim, but in good conscience I feel I need to try.

-joseph

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.