Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:17:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 292
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 283
Total: 284

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I was just told I am poz. I am sooooo lonely.  (Read 11636 times)

Offline shadoos

I was just told I am poz. I am sooooo lonely.
« on: May 05, 2008, 02:23:01 am »
 :(  Hello I was just tested poz a few weeks ago.  I am a young single mother.  I was in a pretty rough relationship.  I found out cause I was sick and wasn't getting any better.  Now thankfully I feel alittle better physically.  But everyday is different.  I don't feel my body is adjusting to this well.  I normally get sick alot.  I know everyone keeps telling me this is not a death sentence but I can't help but feel differently.  I told my immediate family and a few friends.  I made sure my ex knows.  I have such mixed feelings about him.  He put me through alot.  But this tops the cake.  Why me?  I was faithful.  I was not an iv drug user.  This is what I get for loving someone?  Sometimes I feel like I cant do this.  I don't want people to know this is how I died or I even have it.  I just feel so lonely.  I wish I had someone I could cry to.  The only thing I am thankfull for is my child doesn't have it.  Thank GOD!  I tried to go to a support group.  It definitely wasn't for me.  I didn't feel like I fit in at all.  I don't know where else to turn to.
LOST

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: I was just told I am poz. I am sooooo lonely.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 07:38:46 am »
Shadoos, welcome to the forums.

What you're going through emotionally is normal.  I asked myself "why me" when I tested positive in 1989 also.  But, it happens.  Just because someone's faithful in a relationship or not an IV drug user never guarantees exemption from anything in life.  It's really fortunate you have your family; many people don't.

I was a single mother also; my ex died three days after I found out I was positive.  My daughter was negative also and I was so relieved.  Back then, there wasn't treatment like there is today.  That's one thing you can take solace in is that today you probably will die from old age etc., rather than dying young from HIV.   

It will take your body time to adjust to the new "bug."  Have you seen a doctor yet?  If so, I'm sure you've had initial labs.  Don't get worried if your counts aren't the best.  Numbers can be all over the place for awhile, while, again, the body is adjusting.  It will get better though.

I encourage you to check out the "positive women" forum.  There are many women there you can draw strength from.  In particular, check out the dating thread.  It's not all about dating; it's where we women talk about our daily lives, struggles, and support each other.  There are a lot of strong women on this forum.  I think you'll like us. :)

Again, welcome, take a breath and try to relax. 
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline sprockett9

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:09:10 am »
Shadoos,

Breathe -- everytime you start to panic, just stop, clear your head and breathe... or as another person here stated the cardinal truth -- "you have this bug but it doesn't have you!"  Yeah, life is sucking right now but it will get better!!!  Alos remember that you have a beautiful child at home that needs to have there mom there for a very long time...

Take time for yourself -- you will come to terms naturally with your situation but seek help as you need it as you aren't alone.  I have read many of Betty's posts here and she is an amazingly strong woman and represents a group of both men and women that are here to help you.  I also went to a couple groups but they didn't work for me either so I understand that too...

On the "bad" relationship -- regardless of your status, being out of a bad and/or abusive relationship is a very good thing.  Take the time to find yourself, LOVE yourself and eventually a good person will come along. 

Good luck and head up!

D
Dean

bleueyes

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 09:55:51 am »
I just came on this forum today. I actually became pregnant with my daughter after being diagnosed. My fiance and I were going to get married on my eighteenth birthday. Instead I was tested after finding symptoms. I found out two days before my eighteenth birthday. We never married, tried to work on it and this is where my daughter comes in! My daughter is negative.
Sorry I can not give some great advice!
My Mother went to my appointments with me at first. My brother was at my side as much as possible.
If your family is accepting, then you can also rely on what they have to offer.
If you're on here talking to people you already made a good decision.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 10:50:10 am »
shadoos -- you're not alone!  You've just found a very supportive online community of people LIVING with HIV.  I know it's hard right now, but things will get better, with time.

My name is Peter, and I founded this site eight years ago.  I found out I was HIV+ in 1985 -- 23 years ago!  Frankly, I'm more worried about Alzheimer's than I am about HIV these days, LOL.

Do you have a good doctor to rely on right now?

Peter

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 03:51:32 pm »
Welcome to the forums, you are at the right place for support.  Most of us we have been through the process of batling with ourselves trying to figure out what went wrong, its just a phase which will pass.  Its ok to feel hurt and upset and cry if you like but what i can say is things get better with time.  Get as much information as you can on the virus and you will find that you can happily live with it within you.  You have your daughter to cherish and your family to look upon to.  Don't forget we are here anytime.  Focus on the future rather than the past, whatever happened you will get over it and move on.  Hope to welcome you in the women's forums.
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline shadoos

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 10:55:34 pm »
Everyone tries to make this sound so easy and like you can just go on with your life.  Well I cant!  How will I ever be in a relationship again.  What happens when I get really sick and end up in a hospital?  Who will watch my baby?  You may all have alot of support.  Well I don't.  I do everything on my own.  I don't know how I will survive this.  I am not trying to be nasty to any of you.  But maybe everyone can't cope with the changes.
LOST

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 11:01:56 pm »

Hope you can cheer up. I am not straight but let me try to address some of your questions:

How will I ever be in a relationship again.
Just use protection with neg partner. Many people find meaningful relationship after being poz. My bf is neg and we are still together.

What happens when I get really sick and end up in a hospital?  Who will watch my baby?
If you take good care of yourself, this shouldn't happen with modern medication.

I do everything on my own.
   I solute you, but it's nice sometimes to have a shoulder to cry on.
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Offline darwin

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 02:13:16 am »
Everyone tries to make this sound so easy

I am 12 days into my diagnosis, and I understand what you mean here.  "You'll be fine", "you're just in *that* early stage of accepting your new status", "sure you'll love again".  A lot of this is empty to me, because it doesn't understand that I don't want to "be fine" in this new way, because that means something has changed.  I don't want to "love again", because that would mean that something about my love is different now than from 12 days ago.

I think many of the words of comfort are foreign and weird and non-comforting - because 12 days ago, I didn't need any of them!  But yet I still ask for them, and I still eat them all up, because deep down I know that things have changed, that I am poz, and that my life will "go on" whereas two weeks ago I didn't need to think about "going on".

I don't know if this helps or not.  All I know is that these forums are helping me, even if I can't understand what they're saying, I know that they are speaking the truth.  And the truth spoken by the people here is more comforting then my lonely nights.  So I stay.

I am thinking of you, shadoos, my poz sister.  We were both diagnosed at the beginning of spring 2008 - I'm so happy I am not alone in this, that you are out there somewhere with me.   Keep posting here because I'd love to hear from you.

October 2007 - Chose love/stupidity over protection
23 April - Diagnosed
30 April - CD4: 364/22.1% VL: 2,198
11 July - Started Viramune/Truvada
13 August - Undetectable

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 07:03:39 am »
Everyone tries to make this sound so easy and like you can just go on with your life.  Well I cant! 

Well, you either do or you die.
How will I ever be in a relationship again.  .
Why are you worried about this right now?

What happens when I get really sick and end up in a hospital?  Who will watch my baby?  

Again, why are you worrying about this right now?  Slow down.

You may all have alot of support.  Well I don't.  I do everything on my own.  

I get my support right here-these forums.

I don't know how I will survive this.  

By taking things a day at a time, a step at a time, like the rest of us.

You're worrying about things that might not ever happen.  You're concentrating on all the "what-ifs" right now, and while that may be somewhat normal at first, you've got to slow down and take care of the things at hand.  Find a good doctor, get your labs, see where you're at over a few sets of labs, etc. 

I would strongly encourage you to contact your local ASO (Aids Service Organization).  They can help you walk through this difficult time, put you in touch with a good therapist, which I think you might do well to have, and if there's ever any government assistance you need, they can help you with the endless paperwork (which a lot of us have to do).

Like I told you, I was a single mother when I was diagnosed, back in 1989, when things were quite a bit tougher than what they are today.  There was no ADAP, Ryan White, there wasn't the medications that have been developed (which enable people to live normal, long lives), there were no support groups etc. 

I'm not trying to sound cruel, heartless or anything of that nature.  I just want you to realize you're living in better times than previously.  You need to stop with the "poor me" (which I understand is normal at first) and get on with your life.  There's no reason you can't have a normal life.  Just don't take everything all at once, especially things that might not ever happen.  The future is out of all of our hands.  The present is the only thing we have any kind of control over. 

A lot of us have been dealing with HIV for years and years. There's no reason you can't as well.
  Sincerely,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Florida69

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 09:48:08 am »
Everyone tries to make this sound so easy and like you can just go on with your life.  Well I cant!  How will I ever be in a relationship again.  What happens when I get really sick and end up in a hospital?  Who will watch my baby?  You may all have alot of support.  Well I don't.  I do everything on my own.  I don't know how I will survive this.  I am not trying to be nasty to any of you.  But maybe everyone can't cope with the changes.

Nobody said it was easy, but it is manageable.  Unfortunately, you have to deal with the diagnosis, we have all been where you are, not the exact circumstances, but just finding out we are positive and being angry at everything and everyone.  My advice is to let it out.  Your life has changed, but life goes on, you still have a family to care for.  You have a opportunity to watch your child grow up, but you have to take care of yourself. Some of us do not have any support other than the forums, and we will be here for you too.  It is great that you are independent, but many here in this forum are very proficient on HIV, and perhaps some can help educate you and answer the questions that you have. You will survive, and remember the one thing in life that is constant is change.  Children grow, trees turn green then brown, we age.  Good luck to you, and I hope you are able to find the support that you need here.  Take care, D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 11:04:55 am »
Hi Shadoos,

This sure brings back flashbacks of my diagnosis. I also was isolated b/c I dont live in my country and dont have many friends of much of a legal status where I lived. The strongest connection I had was a guy I dated and he ran as fast as he could. It was awful, and I thought about suicide daily. I got into treatment at the local hospital and a couple months later the social worker told me that I could have a relationship again, but I totally didn't beleive it. After all I had bad relationships my whole life and I don't have the highest self esteem because I am very far from perfect. Why would I get lucky after being diagnosed as poz when I was so unlucky before? My health was bad too I had less than 100 CD4s and was really at risk of AIDS (thankfully I didn't fully get that at the time).

Well now 2 years later life is not a bed of roses but I am engaged and doing pretty good healthwise and life just carried on. I really at the time felt if anybody "made it" with HIV, that it has nothing to do with me, that my lot in life and my circumstances were exceptional and doomed, that I was a lost cause, seriously if not for my parents I would have killed myself. Life was agony and waking up (if I lucked out to get some sleep) was when the real nightmare begun....

I am still wierd and don't really fit in and  my life is not conventional (not in the adventerous glamorous sense at all, just in the pain in the butt, lack of security way). But I am here, still standing and doing pretty good by my own standards. Though it may look utterly, hopelessly impossible for you right now to get back on track it can happen, it does happen. No fake promises but you can pull through. Sorry for the devastation caused by your husband, I haven't been thru that so I won't pretend to know about the anger and hurt there. But many women on here have been thru that, and also serious abuse, and are shining thru. So just take it one day at a time, there's no other option is there really? and some days will be awful and other days will be better and slowly slowly you will get better. I really beleive it.

Hope to see ya on the women's, take good care
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline dusty99

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 12:04:50 pm »
Everyone here knows how you feel, I too am one of the more recent people to get diagnosed. While you may feel that many people on here might be a bit jaded by their comments, I am sure they can remember with much clarity how they felt when they found out. I am certain that they even felt just like you. I know that I did, I viewed this as a death sentence. I have found that to be a false assumption after reading the many posts here and other sites. I have even gotten a few PM's from people giving me support in dealing with my life. You will survive, the loneliness will come and go, at least for the next month or so, I have only been diagnosed since March. I do still feel isolated and alone. I do have a good support here and where I live. I did have to create that though, by reaching out and asking for help. I had people make me feel much better. It WILL get better. Get a local support group for yourself by whatever means you can. Whether it be an actual physical support group in your city, a church, whatever you can.

I know you feel that things will not get better but they will. I know that they have for me, but it will take time for everything to fall into place. I found out 2 weeks before making a life changing move. I was numb for about 3 weeks, I thought many of the same things you did, except about what to do with your child if you get sick. It will work out. You ARE stronger than you believe. If you weren't you wouldn't have reached out to this board. There is a lot of pain to deal with, we all know this, I am still very ignorant to a lot about this life changing issue(I know less about HIV than I thought I did), although, it hasn't changed as much as I thought that it would, you will find this to be the case as well.

As for a relationship, I wouldn't worry too much about it for now. Deal with your emotions and situation as it exists. It wouldn't be fair to the other person or yourself to try to find a relationship at this point, besides, when you aren't looking they usually turn up, even though I understand that it is a hard thing to do. I have found people that have made me feel that all was not lost when it came to being HIV and a chance at romance. I haven't become involved with anyone yet, but there have been people that did show me that it isn't over, and this all happened within a short period after diagnosis. IT WILL GET BETTER FOR YOU! WE PROMISE!

17 Mar 08: diagnosed
31 Mar 08 CD4: 565,  30%  VL: 28,900
21 May 08 CD4: 600,  37%  VL: 13,000
25 Oct 08  CD4: 308   34%  VL: 68,000
19 Nov 08 Started Atripla
16 Dec 08  CD4: 580   42% VL: 70
27 Jan 09  CD4: 490   41%  VL: undetectable
24 Mar 09  CD4: 565   42%  VL: undetectable
30 Jun 09  CD4: 615    41% VL: undetectable
25 Sep 09  CD4: 595    47% VL: undetectable

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 07:44:30 pm »

OK,
I'm going to get right to the point here. Please dont think I'm insensitive,because I very much am.
There is nothing anyone can say that is going to completely turn off all your fears and anxieties at this moment.
This is going to be a rough time for you emotionally. I kinda compare it to someone you really love and care about dying. Its a hell of a thing to digest and except.
But you have someone in your life who is depending on you.Your child. That right there superceeds anything you are feeling. Now I'm NOT saying,you are not in-titled to have these emotions, you are indeed.And I'm NOT by any means belittling what your going thru. I've been there myself.
But you HAVE to reach deep inside yourself for your babies sake.
There simply is no other way. That child of your is looking to you for strength and guidance, you MUST rise above this card you have been dealt,and stay strong for your child.
There is no reason,without medical attention (IE) an INFECTIOUS DISEASE DOCTOR  that you cant stay healthy.
You must except that this is now your life,but you wont let it control you, you will control it.In this day of modern meds,this is doable,as many here are living proof.
As far as a relationship goes,like its been said, don't concern yourself with that now. You have enough on your mental plate to deal with,let alone trying to get to know somebody and dealing with their hang ups,and believe me we all have them.
Focus on yourself and your baby,take the advice of your doctor,and you'll find,time will heel your mental wounds.
I promise,you will find if you listen to the advice of people here who have already traveled the road your on right now,and listen to your doctor,that the toughest thing about this virus is mentally,not so much physically.
Stay strong,keep your head up,hug your baby and you'll make it to a safer ,calmer place before you know it.

Dingowarrior.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.