Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

Combo (Atazanavir, emtricitabine/tenofovir, ritonavir)

(1/2) > >>

Leo114:
I am starting meds for the first time.  Very nervous about the side effects of these meds.  Is anyone familiar with this combo?

Mark Too:
I have been on this combo for 3 1/2 years already. No side effect as far as I can tell. Don't worry. 

Leo114:
Thanks Mark.  Any initial reactions? Do you recommend taking them at night before bed in the morning? 

NESAROCO:

--- Quote from: Leo114 on April 25, 2013, 08:16:11 pm ---Thanks Mark.  Any initial reactions? Do you recommend taking them at night before bed in the morning?

--- End quote ---
I have had one week taking this combo in the night some effects were dizzy, nauseous and yellow eyes, some  one has those effects?
thanks

Ann:

--- Quote from: NESAROCO on May 16, 2013, 11:05:55 pm ---I have had one week taking this combo in the night some effects were dizzy, nauseous and yellow eyes, some  one has those effects?
thanks

--- End quote ---

Ritonavir (Norvir) can make some people nauseous and/or give them diarrhea. These are well-known side effects of this med and often subside within a few weeks.

Increased - but not harmful - bilirubin levels are a common side-effect from Reyataz (atazanavir) and that is what makes your eyes yellow. This is something that may also subside within a few weeks, but it does persist in some people.

If it's a problem, a simple switch to another, very similar PI called Prezista (darunavir) -  which does not carry this side effect of increased bilirubin levels - may be in order. Switching to Prezista does not mean you'd have to change any other of your hiv meds.

You should give this combo a few more weeks (4-6 or so) and if things don't settle down, it would be time to talk to your doctor about it. Give your body a chance to adjust before you hit the panic button.

You can read more about the meds you're on (and what side-effects they may cause) in our Treatments pages.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version