Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:59:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 663
Total: 663

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: NanoViricide (HIVCide) Technology Fools HIV From Attacking TCells  (Read 14146 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
NanoViricide (HIVCide) Technology Fools HIV From Attacking TCells
« on: September 17, 2009, 06:57:47 pm »
Disclaimer (especially to xman): In the word of the old Frankie Goes To Hollywood song, "Relax." I'm posting this because I came across it and it seems to be a very interesting approach to the problem of viruses in general and HIV in particular but by posting this I am not implying that a cure is around the corner. ;)

Ok, now that that's out of the way, I came across this "nanoviricide" thing and it sounded very cool and kind of promising.

NanoViricides Platform Enables Rapid Development of Robust Nanomedicines Against Influenza and HIV

Business Wire - September 14, 2009

Company President Dr. Diwan Describes Technology and Pipeline at NanoBusiness 2009 Conference

NanoBusiness 2009

WEST HAVEN, Conn. - NanoViricides, Inc. (OTC BB: NNVC.OB) (the "Company"), announced today that Anil Diwan, PhD, President of the Company presented a talk at NanoBusiness 2009 - the 8th annual NanoBusiness Conference in Chicago, IL, on Wednesday, September 9th.

Dr. Diwan described the salient features of nanoviricides technology. "Viruses can be fooled," he said, adding, "We use their own smarts to attack them. The site at which a virus binds to the cell surface never changes, no matter how much the virus itself changes. We mimic this site, and the cell surface, so the virus particle can bind to the nanoviricide thinking it is binding to a cell. We anticipate very little escape mutation problem, if we do this successfully."

He then explained that FluCide(TM), was found to be as much ten to twenty times (10X to 20X or 1,000% to 2,000%) superior to oseltamivir (Tamiflu(R), Roche), in lethal influenza virus challenge administered to mice. These studies have been repeated and the Company has performed SAR (structure-activity-relationship) studies to develop the best drug candidates against influenza. "Imagine the day when we will never have to develop vaccines against influenza," he said, adding, "That's what FluCide(TM) would achieve."

He also described that HIVCide(TM) was found to be more than twenty-five times (25X or 2,500%) superior to the entire three drug HAART cocktail in a standard SCID-Hu mouse model study. The mice were treated with only 150 mg/kg of nanoviricides and this treatment both led to improvement in double-positive CD4+/CD8+ T cells and reduction in HIV-1 viral load that was equal to or slightly better than that in HAART-treated mice. The HAART treated mice received a total drug load of 4,200 mg/kg, indicating superior results with HIVCide. Moreover, HAART cocktail caused significant toxic effects, whereas the nanoviricides produced no clinical adverse signs in this study.

Dr. Diwan also described the high efficacy of EKCCide(TM) in a rabbit model, which caused complete clinical resolution of adenoviral kerato-conjunctivitis in as little as 2.5 days. The Company is not aware of any other drug candidate that had shown clinical improvement in this disease in any earlier animal studies.

Dr. Diwan also described the Social Responsibility programs of the Company, which include drug development against Dengue viruses, Rabies virus, as well as Biodefense programs that include broad-spectrum drug development against hemorrhagic viruses including Ebola/Marburg, and the ADIF(TM) "Accurate Drug In Field" technology against novel and emerging viruses.

"The Company has continued its development of FluCide, HIVCide, and the ocular nanoviricide eye drops, which are programs of very high commercial interest," said Dr. Eugene Seymour, MD, MPH, commenting further that, "We continue to invest minimal amounts of Company funds in the Social Responsibility and Biodefense projects, and we will require public funding for the same."

LINK:

http://webboard.aegis.org/WB/threadview.aspx?threadid=1913&fid=15&boardid=2
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:44:14 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline J220

Re: NanoViricide (HIVCide) Technology Fools HIV From Attacking TCells
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 01:53:37 am »
Since when do we have to be careful what we post because of Xman????????? Post what you will and don't worry about it....!!!!!!

"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 02:09:51 am »
Since when do we have to be careful what we post because of Xman????????? Post what you will and don't worry about it....!!!!!!

I agree with you. Its just that some people on here think that just because a new technology is being brought up in a thread it automatically means that the person who started the thread thinks it's a "cure." And then xman very predictably comes on and says something like "I'll open the champagne when this ends up being approved and I'm 65 years old." So I was just trying to nip those predictable comments in the bud. ;)

I find it interesting to know and learn about what is being researched, whether or not it ends up being successful. At least the stupid little virus is not being ignored, that would be worse.

Offline J220

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 12:04:28 pm »
I hear ya.... and we are all entitled to our opinions, and the same way that someone can say that they think a cure is close, someone else can say that they don't think so and disagree. But if at any time you feel that a line is crossed and it goes beyond just a difference of opinions, and feel harassed or ridiculed for your posts of opinions just contact a moderator and they will be happy to help you.

This is the research and news and studies forum after all, so we should be able to discuss anything in the scientific realm openly, civilly, and objectively, without having to worry about how others are going to respond!

And thanks for posting this. Cheers, J.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 11:56:18 am »
NanoViricides Management Reports that the Company is Fiscally Sound and Its Drug Development Programs are Progressing Successfully
Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:00am

LINK:

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS97610+26-Oct-2009+BW20091026

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:51:39 am »
Even though this announcement is about NanoViricides and Dengue Virus it is still a good sign that this technology is being further studied by legitimate and respected labs and bodes well for HIVCide.

NanoViricides Announces a Research Agreement With Leading Dengue Virus Researcher at the University of California, Berkeley

LINK:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nanoviricides-announces-a-research-agreement-with-leading-dengue-virus-researcher-at-the-university-of-california-berkeley-2010-02-16?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Offline veritas

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:58:56 pm »

Inch,

These nanoviricides are a hot topic with great promise. I believe we will see some great stuff with respect to this therapy.

on another note, in another thread you asked about nano-silver tech. This therapy is being studied in the hiv arena. I believe UT Southwestern is doing the research. I read somewhere (and I hesitate to say this because I can't find the link) that nano-silver was tried in a small study of hiv patients in Africa.The results were increased t-cell count and lower vl, no further details were given. By no means should this be tried by anyone because it is not proven, but I believe the study is what prompted the UTSW research. We'll have to wait and see and if I find the link I will post. Sorry for the hyjack.

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:28 am »
NanoViricides Reports that Antiviral Efficacy was Demonstrated Against Two Different HIV-1 Isolates in Cell Culture Studies, Corroborating Previous Findings in Animal Studies

June 8, 2010, 7:00 a.m. EDT     

WEST HAVEN, Conn., Jun 08, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- NanoViricides, Inc. (OTC BB: NNVC.OB) (the "Company") reports that its anti-HIV drug candidates demonstrated efficacy in the recently completed cell culture studies using two distinctly different HIV-1 isolates. The studies were performed in the laboratory of Carol Lackman-Smith at the Southern Research Institute, Frederick, Maryland.

This in vitro or cell culture study validated the in vivo anti-HIV activity of the nanoviricides(R) as determined in a SCID/hu Thy/Liv mouse model by KARD Scientific, a contract research organization, and previously reported by the Company.

Significantly, a subset of the anti-HIV nanoviricides tested in cell culture models at Southern Research had very similar activity against two distinctly different isolates of HIV-1, viz. Ba-L and IIIB. The Company had designed the ligands using reported gp120 structures of several HIV-1 strains.

The HIV-1 isolate Ba-L was the same as that employed in the Company's previously reported animal model studies. This virus binds and infects cells expressing the human receptor CCR5 in addition to the well known receptor CD4. In contrast, HIV-1 IIIB is a CXCR4-tropic virus that infects cells expressing the human receptor CXCR4 in addition to the receptor CD4. The same viral gp120 or SU glycoprotein is involved in binding to both co-receptors, viz. CD4 and either CCR5 or CXCR4. HIV that binds to CD4 and to at least one other co-receptor, such as CXCR4 or CCR5, results in productive infection leading to disease, and eventually AIDS.

It has been a formidable challenge for researchers in the field to develop an anti-HIV drug that works against all subtypes and strains. Several anti-HIV drugs and drug candidates have demonstrated significant activity against only one of these various HIV-1 subtypes. In addition, HIV mutates, changing its genome and protein structure during an active infection. Mutants resistant to the patients' treatment drugs can develop and proliferate, leading to failure of therapy, including the HAART regimen.

"We believe that our strategy of designing ligands that are close mimics of the invariant binding site on CD4 has resulted in nanoviricides that are active against multiple HIV-1 subtypes," said Anil R. Diwan, PhD, President of the Company, adding, "The results of the Southern Research study suggest that mutations in HIV-1 may be unlikely to result in significant resistance to an anti-HIV nanoviricide."

The Company had provided Southern Research with a panel of seventeen substances, including active and inactive substances. The Southern Research study was performed three different times on the same set of materials with substantially consistent results. The results confirmed that the previously demonstrated in vivo anti-HIV activity of certain nanoviricides was correlated with their in vitro anti-HIV activity.

The Company has previously reported that several of its nanoviricide drug candidates were more than 25 times (2,500%) superior to a three-drug HAART cocktail in a standard SCID-hu Thy/Liv mouse model study of HIV-I infection. In particular, treatment with only 150 mg/kg nanoviricides, as opposed to 4,200 mg/kg HAART drug cocktail (i.e. 28 times greater total dosage of HAART cocktail) resulted in viral load decrease that was equal to or better than HAART, and increased double-positive CD4+/CD8+ T cell counts that were equal to or better than HAART. The nanoviricides were equal or superior to the HAART cocktail in all parameters evaluated. Significantly, the nanoviricide treatment was given only during the first week in this six-week anti-HIV study, whereas HAART treatment was continued daily.

"We are now a step closer to filing a pre-IND application for HIVCide(TM) with the US FDA," said Eugene Seymour, MD, MPH, CEO of the Company.

LINK:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nanoviricides-reports-that-antiviral-efficacy-was-demonstrated-against-two-different-hiv-1-isolates-in-cell-culture-studies-corroborating-previous-findings-in-animal-studies-2010-06-08?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Offline geobee

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 11:48:05 am »
Reported today.  Here's the link:

http://www.proactiveinvestors.com/companies/news/16597/nanoviricides-announces-anti-hiv-therapy-could-lead-to-functional-cure-16597.html

More infor on this link:
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110725005533/en/NanoViricides-Reports-Anti-HIV-Efficacy-Equivalent-HAART-Drug

NanoViricides announces anti-HIV therapy could lead to functional cure

10:53 am by Deborah Sterescu  NanoViricides (OTCBB:NNVC) reported Monday that its lead anti-HIV candidate achieved an efficacy level equivalent to a highly active anti-retroviral triple (HAART) drug cocktail in a recent animal study.

Treatment with the drug reduced HIV levels and protected human immune T-cells to the same extent as treatment with the cocktail did in a study of mice, said the company. The three drug-combination used for comparison is one of the current therapies recommended for patients with HIV.

NanoViricides, which uses special purpose nanomaterials to design viral therapies, also said that no evidence of drug toxicity was observed during the study, and that the investigational drug will now undergo further optimization.

The latest study verifies the company's previous results, which found that nanoviricides had a significant therapeutic effect, equal or superior to the same three-drug cocktail in a mouse study.

The company's nanoviricide therapy works to mimick cellular structures to which the virus binds, specifically attacking and dismantling them.  By working differently than many combination therapies, the drug developer believes that the nanoviral treatment, or HIVCide, could compliment current standard-of-care, possibly achieving a "functional cure" of HIV/AIDS, NanoViricides said.

Although a functional cure is not a complete cure, it would allow an infected person to continue normal life even after discontinuation of therapy, maintaining undetectable viral load until a recurrence.

"Creating an adjunct drug that acts by a novel mechanism complementing the current HAART therapy is becoming extremely important," said CEO, Eugene Seymour.

"The HIV virus mutates constantly resulting in failure of HAART therapy regimens. In some countries, it has now mutated to such an extent that in up to 40% of patients the standard HAART therapy has become ineffective."

The company's nanoviricide class of drugs are being developed against a number of viral diseases, including H1N1 swine flu, H5N1 bird flu, seasonal Influenza, oral and genital Herpes, viral Hepatitis C, and Ebola virus, among others.

A recent study of anti-flu treatment FluCide showed that the drug was better than oseltamivir, or Tamiflu, with a 1,000-fold greater viral load reduction than the standard flu therapy, after optimization.

"The results of the current study have provided important insight to guide the next cycle of chemical optimization. We clearly know now that we are on the right path," said president Anil R. Diwan.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 12:35:20 pm »
Disclaimer (especially to xman): In the word of the old Frankie Goes To Hollywood song, "Relax." I'm posting this because I came across it and it seems to be a very interesting approach to the problem of viruses in general and HIV in particular but by posting this I am not implying that a cure is around the corner. ;)

hehehehee! Thanks for the laugh!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Coolio_7

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 12:56:23 pm »
Sounds promising. It's definitely a different way to attack the virus and I'm looking forward to seeing what the human clinical trials show.

Offline monarc

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 06:11:23 pm »
Wow another promising and novel way to give us more ammunition against the virus. Even though this alone won't stop it, using this in conjunction with other treatments, like the one where they alter the cd4 cells and put them back in your body, would give us better and healtier alternatives to HAART.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.