Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:57:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 361
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Starting meds today apparently  (Read 4608 times)

Offline tryingforhope

Starting meds today apparently
« on: October 16, 2006, 01:21:59 pm »
Well I just came back from the OBGYN for my prenatal visit and it appears that my viral load is at around 5,000 so they want to start me on meds today. I see the infectious dr. this afternoon. My concern is I am already very ill with naseau and now the HAART is going to make it worse.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
Re: Starting meds today apparently
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 07:49:28 pm »
Hello

A lot to deal with at the moment, all the stuff that goes along with pregnancy, plus recent diagnosis. Imagine you must be feeling just a bit overwhelmed, yes?

There is a very useful guide, from the good people at i-base, which you might want to take a look at - also has some useful tips for managing nausea http://www.i-base.org.uk/guides/pregnancy/index.html

Also, the aidsmeds lesson on pregnancy - http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/Pregnancy1.htm

The issue of medication, when to start, what to use, and how long for - depends a lot on your health (specifically, the health of your immune system), your feelings about medications, and your thoughts on what kind of delivery you want etc. If you need some time to think through the available options, or you want to discuss waiting till later in your pregnancy to start meds, do feel able to say this to your doctors.

I hope that you have an Obs team who are experienced in managing the care of women with hiv, who respect your wishes, and are also willing to work closely with your hiv dr’s - all very important.

Let us know how things are going , ask as many questions as you need to.

Kate

Ps - Friend of mine (+), had a little mantra throughout the whole 9months - “my health. my baby. my choices” - a good one to remember, I think.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 04:58:30 pm »
The links Kate provides will be a great resource for you.  What meds will you be taking?  Some are better than others in terms of nausea.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 11:14:53 pm »
Hey Trying,
Kate gave you some good informational links.

I would just add that starting HAART in or during the second trimester of pregnancy substantially reduces the risk the virus will be passed on to the baby.

As Kate said, I hope you are dealing with and OB/GYN familiar with pregancy and HIV. That is very important, not just for prenatal care, but during delivery as well. There are certain precautions necessary during the birth process that elevate the chances the baby will avoid getting the virus.

Once the baby is born, he/she should also be put on a pediatric dosage of an ARV. I believe they are using AZT, if memory serves.

This usually lasts for a number of weeks, under careful supervision of a pediatrician trained for this type of care.

What I have learned is, by using proper precautions, the risk of passing the virus on to the baby can be reduced to less than 1 percent.

I personally know eight positive women who have given birth. Of them, seven had babies who tested negative and the eighth is still too early to tell.

As Cliff said, if nausea is a problem, I would talk to the doctor about the different regimens available. Some cannot be used while pregnant, but others work very well.

I will keep you and your baby in my thoughts.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 10:46:07 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline tryingforhope

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 07:34:22 pm »
Thanks for your replies. I am lucky to have an amazing support medically. I have one of the best infectious dr.s in Minnesota and an amazing OBGYN and they are working together. Also at my clinic I have a nurse that came to my home today. Apparently she coordinates my care between the two drs and after the baby is born. She was very informative.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 10:32:08 am »
You and your child will do great. I am sure of that. You are lucky of having such a professional support.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline sunflower99

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 02:20:44 pm »
Hello!

This happened to me too, my hiv+ was discovered during my pregnancy. I got meds during the last months of my pregnancy combivir and viracept, I never felt nausated from the meds, the only side effects was some diarrea... but I have to say that was all. Then I had a c-section which obviously is the safest way to deliver when you are positive, and then the baby was given liquid meds every 6 hours during his first 6 weeks. And now he is a healthy baby boy!!

Everything will be well!
Take Care
Love Sun

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.