Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 332
Total: 332

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Not doing good here  (Read 5880 times)

Offline fireguy45601

Not doing good here
« on: July 08, 2006, 01:57:12 am »
Ok here it goes!  My health Is doing good.,  Everything else is going to pot.  Well lets see I am on the state medical card and I had a spend down of 600.00 a month which Odap paid for which is Kewl.  Well my wife goes back to work and of course I can't get on her insurance and because the income change my Spenddown goes to 1800 a month I asked my case worker is she freaking crazy there is no way for me to pay that and Odap will only pay 1200 a month which is leaving me 600 a month to pay. I am like OMG!!!!  What the sam hill to do now.  I can't afford the spenddown I have 2 kids to take care of this totally blows.  So now I am faced with this decision to take meds and live on with my kids not getting the things they need or GIVE UP!!!  To be honest I want to give up I will be less of a burden on my kids and my wife.  The federal and state government could care less about any of us to them we are just a number and they could care less if we live or DIE.  So right now I am depressed and I am an emotional Wreck.  So right now I am going to give my kids everything they could ever have and the love I can give to them cause after next month I will go off my medications and not knowing what damn bug could catch me and bring me down is a wait and see game.  Good Luck everyone.

Fireguy45601 :'(

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Not doing good here
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 02:50:33 am »
   Fireguy,

I feel your frustration, but giving up is definitely not the answer.   Your kids need their father and your wife needs her husband.   In the beginning, after being diagnosed, the desire to give up crossed my mind often.   It got so bad that my therapist at my ASO had me Baker Acted because she thought I would harm myself.   Finally reality set in and I realized I need to be here for my kids no matter what.
      The economic issues you are having are much different than the woes I suffered from being newly diagnosed.  I hope someone here can give some advice on how to deal with this.   
      It is my belief that the pain caused by losing their father will be far greater that anything you think they'll lose with you here.  I wish you the best of luck in finding some kind of alternative.

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 02:43:02 pm »
Federal and state only gives you enough to survive by their numbers, never understood 'their math'...you learn one day, step at a time, don't know what I would do if I had family.  It's difficult at best to care for my self on SSD with medicare and medicaid.  Seems "they" want you to have NO quality of life and give up everything that they determine unnecessay, cable, internet, etc. live in a project?
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 05:15:13 pm »
Hey Fireguy,
Yipes, what a thing to be hit with. I am assuming you are the same Fireguy from the old forums, right?

Why can't you sign up on your wife's insurance? Is the cost prohibitive or is there a pre-existing condition clause that is tripping you up?
If her insurance carrier (which I presume comes as a heath benefit of her employment) has refused to enroll you because of your health status, you need to get that in writing. I don't know about where you live, but that would qualify you for some state programs here, including ADAP, which would pay for your meds.

I am unfamiliar with Odap. Is it ADAP where you live?

I am trying to wrack my brain to come up with something that might help. Because you are a parent, you should qualify for Title IV status. I don't know if that will help or not, because things vary so much from state to state.
Here, under Title IV, you would be able to access Ryan White, which would pay for your doctor visits and labs.

Because everything varies so much, I can't really say do this or do that. I have run into people who simply earn too much money to qualify for anything, yet don't make enough to pay for their medical care. It is a Catch 22 that a growing number of people are falling into.

I wish I could be more help. Good luck to you and please let us know what happens.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 07:37:49 am »
So right now I am going to give my kids everything they could ever have and the love I can give to them cause after next month I will go off my medications and not knowing what damn bug could catch me and bring me down is a wait and see game.

Fireguy,

I hear your frustration. Your low state of mind is probably sucking the hope right out of you.

That said, don't take away their father. All the material goods on earth won't make up for the loss of having you in their lives.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline joeniceguy2005

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 09:48:41 am »
Hey you!Just be yourself and do the best you can with what you've got,keep faith in the Lord our GOD,and his son Jesus Christ,Do this and you will overcome my fellow warrior,I will add you and your family in my prayers,and pray that you have happiness,peace,and love in your life,have a great summer eh!joey from sudbury,ont.can. ps .move to canada!

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 08:48:51 am »
I have to agree with Daniel...I think its more important for you to be in your kid's life.  Although I do feel your flustration with Federal and State Governments....Hang in there....and take one day at a time.  Things have a way of working out.  Big Hug!
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline fireguy45601

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:20:17 pm »
Thank you all for your positive attitude!  I actually got a glimmer of hope today from ODAP and yea it is the same as ADAP!  They are putting me on a formluary to get the required medications I need the down fall is if I get sick I have no medical insurance but there is several insurance companies that will take me and there is no pre-existing clause either which is great.  ODAP said they would Pay for the insurance I just need to make my mind up on which one.  Thank God!  He is watching over me.  But yea everything is falling back in place and yea my wife's insurance did have a pre-existing clause which sucked.  Heck I was so happy today I lost my 10 year old lab on Sat and I got all this news Friday I get this call From ODAP and a woman that lives on my road found my dog and her pup and brought them home to me and i haven't felt better than what I do Right now.  There is someone out there watching me!  Again Thank you all for the positive outlook !

With Love
Fireguy45601
PS
Yea it is me from the old group

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 05:59:33 am »
Glad you're feeling better now Fireguy.

One thing I've learned while living with this virus is that nothing lasts forever - not the good and not the bad. It makes more sense to wait things out sometimes. If there's such a thing as HIV mood swings I get them. Also what I refer to as brain-farts. That would be moments similar to senior moments. You know, you go into a room and forget why you are there.

Either that or I'm just gettin' old.  :-*

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline hjeffs

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 11:10:11 am »
I have 2 kids too. I am sorry about your situation but I bet your kids would rather have YOU than things. Your care and attention and love is priceless. Come on Dad, stick around for the good stuff! Help is there and it will find you, look everywhere.

It is a hard path just keep looking in those little eyes, they will give you hope. Put that hand of theres in yours and the energy you get from that will charge your spirit. I know.

We have gone without to pay for doctors and meds but there laughter is worth the lack of something else. I keep food on the table and clothes on there backs as well as a good education for them. We do what we have to. Just don't loose sight on how much your presence is needed. You can't be replaced and the only dad they have. Take great value in who you are and all you give of yourself.

Jeff

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 12:32:12 pm »

Fireguy,

I was wondering about you and I am glad to hear the good news! 

Hang in there buddy...

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.