Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:49:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 230
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV transmission - vaginal fluid seeping thru skin  (Read 17503 times)

Offline scared186

HIV transmission - vaginal fluid seeping thru skin
« on: August 08, 2006, 08:55:47 pm »
I had sex with a streetwalker and I used a condom.  When she was riding me, I noticed a lot of thick vaginal fluid at the base of my penis in the pubic area.  Her vaginal lips and fluids were being rubbed aggressively into my skin at my pubic region. 

I got a false positive with a Orasure oral test (not the RAPID), confirmed negative with a Western blot at 9 weeks since the incident.  I am still scared sh*tless.  I live in orange county, California where public health care services are horrible.

I know there are other posts about this topic.  I was just hoping if people could answer my questions honestly and to the best of their knowledge without trying to make me feel better.

1) Is there a theoretical risk in my situation?   In other words, can the HIV virus penetrate the skin when her vaginal fluids are literally "rubbed in" to my skin near the pubic area due to the 'roughness' of the sex?

2) What percentage of people seroconvert at 9 weeks?  I hear that "most" people do.  Can anyone quantify that?

3) Do I really need to get tested again?  I don't have time to take off of work and use the crappy OC health services again.  (they charge for rapid testing) I get tested for other STDs often.  Should I just move on with regards to my HIV status?

Please, this has been bugging me so much that I can't perform my essential functions at work!  Can anyone who is an Aidsmeds veteran answer my questions to the best of their knowledge?

Offline RapidRod

Re: HIV transmission - vaginal fluid seeping thru skin
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 08:59:54 pm »
You had protected sex, no reason to test or retest in your situation.

Offline scared186

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 09:08:15 pm »
thanks rapidrod,  can anyone answer the above questions, because my false positive seriously shoced me.  and it seemed as if the healthcare professional didnt care about my reaction.

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 04:16:34 am »
Scared,

To begin with, you did NOT have a risk of infection. Hiv CANNOT infect you through intact skin. Hiv needs to come into contact with specific cells in order to infect and those specific cells are NOT found in the skin - and that includes the skin on your pubic area and the shaft of your penis.

The bit you need to protect is the head of your penis and you did this by wearing a condom. This is why you had no risk. Condoms have been proven to be very effective when it comes to hiv transmission prevention.

You don't need to test again.

For future reference, enter your zip code into the HIV testing center database to find a testing site near you.

While you're here, please read through the Welcome Thread and follow the links found there.

Keep using condoms and you will continue to avoid hiv infection.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline joejoe

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:30:55 pm »
Your mind may be put more at ease if you read this:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=868.0

Offline scared186

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 08:45:03 pm »
Thanks everybody, I feel a better now.  I know I am NEG but just out of curiosity I have another question, this time regarding the Oraquick Oral Test (not the rapid one). 

When I was tested at 9 weeks, I was halfway thru a pretty bad cold and coughing a alot (this is the reason why I got tested in the first place).  I got a false positive confirmed negative by Western blot. 

I always thought that confirmatory tests such as Western blot required another sample.  But they used the same oral sample to conduct the Western blot.  Is there a possibility that this sample wasn't good enough (i.e. didn't contain enough antibodies) ?

I'm going to keep it to one question per post since when I tend to ask multiple, I end up not getting them answered.  Thanks everyone for your thoughts.  I feel a lot better. 

Offline scared186

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 08:50:20 pm »
Just a point of clarification, I read the rules for this forum and I'm not worrying about my NO RISK scenario, I'm just seeking an answer to the post above regarding the western blot.  Please don't kick me off the forum?  Thanks  :)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 09:05:18 pm »
They did the test correctly. They didn't need to take another swab or blood test.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 09:46:13 pm »
Scared,

Multiple questions are not a problem.  To answer your enumerated questions above:

1).  No.

2).  Most people with seroconvert and test positive by 6 weeks.  The average being 22 days.

3).  No.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline scared186

Orasure (oral) dependability
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 06:55:21 pm »
New Topic:

Anybody,

1) Why do Orasure (oral) HIV anitibody tests give false positive results? 

2) Is a blood HIV antibody test any better than the oral swab in terms of the accruracy of the Elisa and Western blot performed on each sample type?

Thanks a lot for your support everyone.

-Sc186

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 07:11:12 pm »
scared,

Why are you worrying about this testing stuff? You don't need to test over an incident of intercourse where you wore a condom. Condoms have been proven to be very effective when it comes to hiv prevention.

False positives happen because of the sensitivity of the tests. Any positive ELISA result must be backed up with a Western Blot.

Both types of tests are equally as good and they are both approved for hiv testing when used in the appropriate 12-13 week window period.

You didn't have a risk and you don't need to test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scared186

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 06:24:02 pm »
You guys are awesone people and this is one of the best websites I have ever visited.  I apologize for my obsessive/compulsive tendencies.  I find that spending too much time on this forum looking for answers drives me nuts!  (esp. at work in my cubicle).   Actually, sometimes I really get a kick out of some of the “fear” stories people have (i.e. the ones where they think they get stabbed by a needle intentionally)

Well, the reason why I am back is because I tested for HIV 5 days ago (at the 12 week cutoff period and also for other STIs)  and having realized that I do not need to test for HIV, this two week wait is driving me nuts.  This time I gave them a full blood sample to be analyzed by Quest Diagnostics.  The Orasure website even says that blood samples are more reliable than swab samples.   I made sure they took at least a quarter soda can worth of blood.  (they didn’t actually put my sample in a can).

I’m sorry. I know you guys hate people who obsess over insignificant situations like myself.  When I took the orasure oral test, my initial ELISA false positive made me feel like I was cheated.

Has anyone ever felt this way about the oral test?  I feel like I should’ve gotten a “neg” to begin with.  I have always used a condom for every act of vaginal intercourse. 

Ann, please don’t kick me off this forum because I find it valuable when I need people to talk to. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 08:08:44 pm »
scared,

There is only so much this forum can do for you. We are not here to provide you with a social life and someone to talk to when you are at work. I'm sure your boss would not appreciate you spending company time and money surfing the internet to satisfy your "obsessive/compulsive tendencies".

You didn't have a risk. You will receive a negative result. False positives happen sometimes and they are testament to how good the tests actually are (because they're so sensitive). There are checks and balances in place to identify false positives.

I suggest you keep yourself busy - try doing the work you're paid to - until you receive your results. Then it will definitely be time to move on.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scared186

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 04:40:10 pm »
thanks Ann for your valuable input. 

I was thinking about the concept of theoretical risk:

so if I were to have protected vaginal intercourse with over 200+ known hiv positive women, would I be at risk (considering that protected vaginal is the only activity I engage in)

(FYI, i would never sleep with this many people)

I am a scientist for a really large company and I operate on principles of theory. 

is there a risk here?  i just don't believe serodiscordant studies because in some cases, they only have intercourse about once every few months or so. 

is frequency of protected intercourse with a know hiv+ person a risk?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 05:07:57 pm »
You can have sex as often as you want as long as you have applied the condom on correctly and you use plenty of water base lube. Being a scientist yourself, I wonder why you would ask? Scientist are the ones that use the term "theoretical" when they can't answer a question scientifically or they just don't have the answers and they are guessing.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 05:17:56 pm »
i just don't believe serodiscordant studies because in some cases, they only have intercourse about once every few months or so.

scared,

According to who? The couples who took part in those studies were subjected to intense scrutiny of their sex lives. These people entered the studies because they wanted to know the truth as much as anyone. Why would they lie? Why would the scientist who designed and executed the study not be aware of their subject's activities and report their finding accordingly? We would know if the results of these tests were skewed in the way you suggest. They weren't. The longest one lasted ten years. Surely that's saying something?

If you had protected intercourse with 2000 positive people you would not have a risk, provided you used the condoms correctly as well as consistently. Correctly used condoms rarely break. As long as your condom does not break, you're good to go.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scared186

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 05:26:09 pm »
thanks Rapid and Ann,

I would definitely believe you guy more than I would believe any other information I bump into elsewhere whether it be a website or a doctors comments. 

Ann,

i apologize for not quite understanding this.. but You mentioned that the longest one lasted 10 years...  Does this mean the study lasted 10 years or after 10 years, the negative partner got infected?

I find it really valuable to learn about anything on a daily basis.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 05:40:25 pm »
scared,

The study lasted ten years and in the couples who used  condoms consistently and correctly for intercourse, but not other activities, none of the negative partners became positive. Another study lasted three years and ... I think the third was another three or a seven year study. It's in the Transmission lesson.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scared186

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 12:34:04 pm »
Ann, thanks very much for your educated response.  I've been very patient and now since I know a lot more about hiv than I ever used to I have a question:

I know that hiv is successfully transmitted thru the male urethra since it is a mucous membrane.  Now the pubic area (particularly the testicles) is covered with hair follicles (some slightly enlarged).  It seems that these areas where pubic hairs come out from could be considered mucous membranes and could possibly aid in absorption the same way the male urethra does.  I know that skin is an excellent barrier to hiv transmission, but the 'pubic area' has lots of these areas where hair grows from.

Now my question:
Wouldn't it pose a risk if this area was covered in vaginal fluid and rubbed ferociously into these regions as she was on top of me?

I really appreciate your answers and just to be on the safe side, I am waiting for my 12 week result this friday.

9 weeks - (orasure) - negative  :)
12 weeks - (blood test) - pending

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 12:38:01 pm »
scared,

Do you think that we don't know what skin and hair is like in the pubic region and testicles? Do you think we don't take these things into account when giving risk assessments?

Hair follicles are NOT mucus membranes.

You did NOT have a risk of hiv infection, no matter how hard she was grinding. NO RISK.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scared186

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2006, 06:10:09 pm »
i've came accoss what it seems like 'miracle stories' on this website and others that made me decide to come back with a new topic:

i've read stories where hiv- men engage in unprotected intercourse with hiv+ women for periods of years and the men don't get infected.  the longest i heard of was around 5 years and still no infection! 

does anyone know any other stories like this?  does low viral load play a key role in these 'lucky' stories?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.