Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:50:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 676
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 660
Total: 660

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 4 days into meds  (Read 6228 times)

Offline HippieLady

4 days into meds
« on: June 08, 2010, 12:20:48 pm »
I started my combo on Friday 6/4, Truvada, Reyataz and Norvair.  I also have to take Bactrim.  On day one I took them all at the same time, with my evening meal.  I felt fine aside from feeling kinda jittery.  At about 1 am I woke up to use the restroom and my stomach was very nauseous.  I tossed and turned for a bit, trying to get back to sleep, but I ultimately had to run to the bathroom and throw up.  Gross!

Day two and I was hyper-anxious to take my pills.  I had felt off all day...jittery, nauseous, foggy and uncoordinated.  Once I started cooking dinner the anxiety kicked into overdrive and I started having a panic attack.  A few deep breaths later, some mini meditation and I was good to go.  I took my HIV meds, I had taken the Bactrim earlier in the day to space them out, and I felt pretty good.

Every morning I wake up and just feel awful...sick to my stomach and weak feeling.  I know I just have to weather the adjustment period.  One connection I think I made is that on day one I ate some ice cream before bed after taking my meds.  That night I had to throw up in the night.  Then last night I ate some ice cream again and while I didn't throw up this morning....it took a great deal of will power to fight it back.  So maybe eating ice cream before bed is not an option right now, at least until some of these side effects wear off.

Another thing I wanted to see if others had experienced,  I don't think I can drive.  I feel half drunk most of the time and my cognitive function seems to have taken a nap because I am even more uncoordinated than I was before.  I would not want to risk the safety of my children or other drivers if I got behind the wheel.  Are these side effects that will eventually subside?

My nurse is supposed to call me next week to see how I'm doing on the meds and honestly I'm not super concerned because I know my anxiety can make things worse.  I actually feel pretty ok at the moment, the toast settled my stomach.

Any advice/tips/general pearls of wisdom?  And I apologize if my post seems all over, like I said....my mind seems to have taken a vacation.
~Katie~
Diagnosed HIV+ April 30, 2010

Current CD4-638  VL-UD  11/2013

Offline emeraldize

Re: 4 days into meds
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 12:28:49 pm »
Hey HL,

I have nothing to offer except I want to tell you that someone will stop by and offer their first-hand experience and advice. I start meds tonight, and it's been invaluable to have site members' input, go get 'ems and affirmations that I may have chosen a good med match for me and my lifestyle.

I assure you, someone will weigh in. Giving up ice cream would suck dearly as that is a source of calcium and joy for me, so I hope you don't have to forego that pleasure long-term.

Best of adjustments to you...
Em

Offline HowYouDoin

• this is not me but i wish, lol
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 12:33:41 pm »
Hi Hippie,

I think the nausea may be caused because you are taking bactrim along with your meds and your body is adjusting to it. I remember when I was on bactrim alone I had a bitter taste in my mouth and wasn't tolerating very well the first couple of nights but my body adjusted to it. Try to eat foods that are healthier, ice-cream wouldn't be a good choice to eat when you are healthy so imagine eating it when your body is trying meds. Hope it works out for you.

AL

Offline ad2san

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:13:12 pm »
Hi HL,

you may try to take the Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir in the morning instead at night and not all together with Bactrim.

Cheers
Feb   2009 CD4 358 VL 2000 16%
May  2009 CD4 305 VL 3069  14% <---- Started TVD+ATZ/r
Jul  2009 CD4 512 VL <50   18%
Jul 2010 CD4 418 VL <50 24%                     
Switched to Kivexa (Epzicom) + Norvir + Reyataz (due to sleep problem)
Aug 2010 CD4 606 VL <50 25%
Jul 2011 CD4 494 UD 23%
Switched to Kivexa (Epzicom) + Viramune XR (due to kidney problems)
January 2012 CD4 564 UD 31%
January 2013 CD4 594 UD 26%
Switched to Kivexa (Epzicom) + Isentress due to BIG increase GammaGT
Feb 2013 CD4 699 UD 28%
Aug 2014 CD4 639 UD 25%
Switched January 2015 to Triumeq
May 2015 CD4 807 UD 31%
Switched Nov 2016 to Genvoya due to gastric problems
November 2016 CD4 847 UD 32%

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 03:09:23 pm »
Some people do get dizzy on Truvada.  I was really sick when I started so it is hard to tease apart what caused it, but I do remember falling down a lot when I started. 

(So there I was, two weeks out of the hospital, just determined to harvest the cherries from the tree.  Up the ladder, complete with my little portable oxygen tank. 

I took half the tree with me when I fell -- we call it "top pruning"   ;D  Oh, and you can pick the cherries much easier when the tree is on the ground.)

In addition to the ladder I fell off a couple of stepstools, down a half flight of steps and off my quarter inch heels a few times. 

Oddly, I wasn't allowed to drive for a month or so (wonder why  ;D ) -- and it felt very disorienting when I started back. 

But all that vanished over time and after a couple of months I didn't feel it at all.

So, if you feel dizzy, you might want to honor that and cut back for a while.  And talk to your doctor about it.

But it should pass with time.

Oh -- and I think I was away for a bit when you joined -- so a belated welcome to the forums too!

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline averagejoe1977

• Viral Load Warrior: HIV & Me
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 03:30:26 pm »
HI!

I started on that combination for a month before switching the reyataz for darunavir.

I found that I felt nauseous and slightly dizzy on the Truvada, Reyataz, and Norvir, for the first few days, and then it slowly started to subside and things got much better.

Glad you are feeling a bit better. Hang in there!

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:05:39 pm »
HI!

I started on that combination for a month before switching the reyataz for darunavir.

I found that I felt nauseous and slightly dizzy on the Truvada, Reyataz, and Norvir, for the first few days, and then it slowly started to subside and things got much better.

Glad you are feeling a bit better. Hang in there!

Hippie not sure if you're from the US but here most drugs go by their brand name and Darunavir is known as Prezista.

I think you'll find a LOT of people have some serious side effects from Bactrim, so it might actually be the bactrim that's the problem.  I personally took a couple of days to adjust to the meds and then I only got the severe side effects shortly after taking them.  Keep up the good work and hopefully these sides will be a thing of the past before long.

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:35:28 am »
No dairy at all before bed, just a nice sensible snack.  Puked twice this morning already!  This blows...chunks!  :(

~Katie~

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 10:00:54 am »
No dairy at all before bed, just a nice sensible snack.  Puked twice this morning already!  This blows...chunks!  :(

Depending on what is causing you to vomit...if it's nausea you may want to ask your doctor for some pfinergan (I'm pretty sure this is badly mispelled).  So sorry you're having a roughe time Hippie.

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 01:44:15 pm »
I ate some toast and I'm feeling a little better.  I called my pharmasist and she suggested I talk to my doctor about something for the nausea and anxiety.  She said ativan and something else (I forget) was for anxiety but also helped with nausea.

I'm going to suck it up and get outta the house today.  I need to do something that makes me feel normal and taking my kids to the pool is normal.  Extra sunblock, long sleeve white tee over my suit and a hat and I should be well protected.  My doc would prefer I not go to the public pool but since I'm on the bactrim...I see no harm.  I need to get outta the house before I go crazy!

For now I'm going to just deal with the nausea.  I think it will pass.  Besides what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Thanks
~Hippie  ;)
~Katie~

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 02:35:31 pm »
I ate some toast and I'm feeling a little better.  I called my pharmasist and she suggested I talk to my doctor about something for the nausea and anxiety.  She said ativan and something else (I forget) was for anxiety but also helped with nausea.

I'm going to suck it up and get outta the house today.  I need to do something that makes me feel normal and taking my kids to the pool is normal.  Extra sunblock, long sleeve white tee over my suit and a hat and I should be well protected.  My doc would prefer I not go to the public pool but since I'm on the bactrim...I see no harm.  I need to get outta the house before I go crazy!

For now I'm going to just deal with the nausea.  I think it will pass.  Besides what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Thanks
~Hippie  ;)

Hi HL,
I hope you're feeling better. I am trying to psyche myself to deal with the nausea as it's preventing me from being upright and functional. Reading your reference to eating toast above actually made me think I could try that as I've had nothing to eat all day. And, even considering it and forming a vision of toast, is the equivalent of having a meal at this moment. I've got a raging migraine now, so need to call the pharmacist to make sure if I down a sumitriptan if that will come casting up next or cause an issue I've not a clue about.

Please tell us you went to enjoy the sun---I hope you did what you hoped to do.

Em

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 02:41:02 pm »
HL: While writing to you, Ann wrote to me about how to make ginger tea and if you've not got that available, try Ginger Tea in bags. Best. Em

You can grate the ginger root to make tea - grating is much better than slicing. Brew it up and put it through a fine-mesh sieve before drinking. Hope it helps!

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 02:49:20 pm »
Hi HL,
I hope you're feeling better. I am trying to psyche myself to deal with the nausea as it's preventing me from being upright and functional. Reading your reference to eating toast above actually made me think I could try that as I've had nothing to eat all day. And, even considering it and forming a vision of toast, is the equivalent of having a meal at this moment. I've got a raging migraine now, so need to call the pharmacist to make sure if I down a sumitriptan if that will come casting up next or cause an issue I've not a clue about.

Please tell us you went to enjoy the sun---I hope you did what you hoped to do.

Em

I do plan on going out...just waiting for my husband to get home so he can join us.  And then I'll have him as a back-up driver if I start to feel nasty.  I really think it'll be better if I can mentally suck it up.

I will try the ginger tea and I find if I can just eat something then I feel better.  I know it's hard to eat when ya feel so rotten.

~Hippie
~Katie~

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 02:56:20 pm »
HL: While writing to you, Ann wrote to me about how to make ginger tea and if you've not got that available, try Ginger Tea in bags. Best. Em

You can grate the ginger root to make tea - grating is much better than slicing. Brew it up and put it through a fine-mesh sieve before drinking. Hope it helps!

And like I said in Em's thread, I forgot to say to peel the ginger first. The skin can make it bitter.

I hope you feel better soon too. Barfing is horrible.

Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline HippieLady

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 01:18:29 pm »
I picked up some ginger lemongrass tea last night, it has ginger as it's first ingredient.  I drank some before bed and another cup this morning when I woke up.  Still had the nausea but not nearly as worse as before...AND I didn't vomit which was a blessing!  ;D

Still just taking it one day at a time.  It is such a hard adjustment to go from not needing much medical attention to having so many doctors appointments.  My 7 year old daughter is having some issue with her thyroid and is seeing a pediatric endocrinologist today.  It's just a lot to take in sometimes.

The pool was great yesterday!!  It was wonderful to just get out and do the family stuff we are used to doing.  I know the girls are very intuitive and must know that something is different.  They know mommy has to take medicine that makes me feel sick sometimes.  We homeschool so we are able to touch on a variety of topics, so this past spring we were learning about the different body systems.  They know the basics of what an immune system is and what it does....keeping your body healthy and fighting sickness.  I've told them that mommy's immune system is weak and now I have to take medicine to make it stronger.  They are fine with that much knowledge and so am I.  I can't begin to tell them I have HIV when they don't know what it is and are too young to comprehend.  I just want to keep everything as normal as possible on the homefront.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Thursday!  :)

~Hippie
~Katie~

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 04:03:58 pm »
Depending on what is causing you to vomit...if it's nausea you may want to ask your doctor for some pfinergan (I'm pretty sure this is badly mispelled). 

I couldnt agree more. I vomitted for 3 days when I started my reg. Doc put me on Phenergan, afterwards not even a hint of nausea. for me it was a lifesaver. I was on Anti-Nausea's for about 10 days, by that time my bod became acclimated to the meds and I didnt need the A.N's any longer.

It sounds like your getting a bit better, but if the nausea lingers, and you think you need it, I would ask your doc for something.

All the best.
Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 06:18:33 pm »
Maybe switching the type of Norvir you take will help.

One forum member reported getting sick after switching from gel-caps to tablets.  I don't know how he resolved that.  I've always taken the gel-caps and have had no problems.  On the other hand my friend just began HAART on the same regimen as you, with tablet Norvir, and no problems with that either.

I hope you find something that works soon.
It's a complex world

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 06:25:03 pm »
Hi HL

Glad to hear you are hanging in there, in some case's it takes a wee while for the meds to settle, but it looks like things are improving a bit for you, hope you continue to get better.

Take care
hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 10:40:00 pm »
I couldnt agree more. I vomitted for 3 days when I started my reg. Doc put me on Phenergan, afterwards not even a hint of nausea. for me it was a lifesaver. I was on Anti-Nausea's for about 10 days, by that time my bod became acclimated to the meds and I didnt need the A.N's any longer.

It sounds like your getting a bit better, but if the nausea lingers, and you think you need it, I would ask your doc for something.

All the best.
Will

I'm making note of this for my restart. I've had four doses of Compazine just to get me back to square one. Perhaps Phenergan is an even better fit to accompany a regimen.

HL: By the by, I meant to write earlier to say, glad you went to the pool and got some sun. I'm glad you've been sharing your adjustment. I'll be jumping back in as soon as I can set up a little better support system for the Nausea Parade route. Em

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.