Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:10:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 424
Total: 425

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sad but True.  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Nextdoor_guy

Sad but True.
« on: November 28, 2010, 11:12:35 am »
Hey guys these days am very down and sad cause of the fucked up world we live in.

I live in an Eastern European country where the medical system is almost fucked up, always being Big problems in providing the ARV treatment. I am lucky enough, even though is not fair, to get the treatment without stop so far.
But there are lots of people in other cities that stopped the treatment just because the national health system cannot provide them the pills, because the budgets for this years and finished. So till next year no more money for the HIV patients. And living in a country where the monthly payment is around 300 euro, of course this people cannot buy on they own the medication.
The very sad thing is that are many kids infected in the early 90' because of the medical system and now are dying because of this fucked up system.

I just feel like giving up when I see this news.
There's too much confusion.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: Sad but True.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 11:17:30 am »
It must be very difficult to be in that situation. Even in the United States there are people on waiting lists for HIV meds so I can imagine how much worse it must be in your country.

Hang in there, at least so far you have been able to have the meds without interruption.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 06:53:38 pm »
Thats incredibly sad and discouraging.
Does your country get funds from US or EU or the UN for HIV treatment?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:41:46 pm »
This is very sad news. The waiting lists to get HIV drugs here in the USA keep growing. I'm afraid that things will only get worse in 2011. Home prices are plumeting, and state budgets are only shrinking. I think this should serve as a reminder how bad things might get in 2011.

It reminds me how lucky I am to still be alive.
Positive since 1985

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:07:28 pm »
This is a sad situation.  I can imagine people in that situation taking just part of the regimen to make it last longer only to cause resistance.  And, stopping the regimen in total should prevent resistance issues, but would erase all the gains those people have made. 

I'm still learning about HIV and HIV meds, but don't many believe that stopping meds often leads to poorer responses once you restart them??  I'm mainly talking about people who started at decent numbers.  Isn't it now believed that for those people, it would have been better to not start the meds than start them and then stop??     

Offline Nextdoor_guy

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 11:33:07 am »
In the early 1990s, hundreds of Romanian infants were infected with HIV — mostly through contaminated blood transfusions.
Now, a generation of HIV-positive women is giving birth to children at risk of contracting HIV from their mothers. and most of this young people that manage to remain alive till now, are now risking to die because the system that infected them cannot provide them the daily treatment.

The situation is now so bad because being a part of the EU now, Romania cannot get anymore founds from the UN as in the past. And the EU cannot offer money for the national health system, only for programs in preventing and information campaigns.
So.. this is the situation

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 11:41:30 am »
What a ridiculous catch-22.  If an HIV+ person had the funds to travel, could he present himself/herself at the clinic in Italy or France and demand treatment, as an EU citizen?
It seems to me some good lawyers arguing for patients rights could make a case in Strasbourg. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Nextdoor_guy

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 11:49:23 am »
No, even is EU, each country has to manage this kinds of programs, because it's still a "National health system"
The Eu gives money to prevent HIV, inform people, offering help for drug addicts, etc..

But they don't give money to a country budget for its citizens treatments. And to receive treatment in another EU country you have to be employed in that specific country.
And again, Romania has lots of restrictions for workers in the Union.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.