Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:32:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 214
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Losing a Friend  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Basquo

Losing a Friend
« on: October 09, 2009, 08:00:27 pm »
Maybe you've seen my posts with pictures of the sweetest little boy in the world, my four-legged "stepson" Moose, who belonged to my ex, Ben.

Ben passed away Wednesday night.  He had been on dialysis for 3 years and last December suffered a debilitating stroke.  He decided to stop dialysis about 3 weeks ago, and after breaking a hip Tuesday morning went into Hospice care. He went very peacefully in his sleep. I'll be going to Texas City tomorrow morning for the service, and driving back afterwards.  I'm looking forward to seeing his family members that I know, and especially the ones I've been in touch with the last couple of years without having actually met them in person.

It's a 4-hour drive.  We do that in Texas. We also share our "tranquilizers" with the matriarchs that keep us going.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:02:37 pm by Basquo »

Offline Cliff

Re: Losing a Friend
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:30:41 pm »
Sorry for your loss, Creighton.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:39:18 pm »
I'm sorry to hear this.  My sympathies. 

Offline Texan38

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:10:10 pm »
So sorry to hear such sad news.  Have a safe drive. Take care.
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:42:43 pm »
basquo

It sounds like your friend had a lot of challanges undeservedly thrown his way.  It just doesn't seem right that one person could be so bedeviled.  That he could make this decision on his own shows his strength as a man.  He has my deepest admiration.

And you and his family and friends have my condolences.

robert

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 09:50:14 pm »
Dear Creighton,

You have my deepest condolences on your loss. 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 11:11:32 pm »
Creighton,

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jody

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 11:49:33 pm »
Creighton...I'm sorry for the loss of your former partner Ben who so obviously meant a great deal to you at a time in your life.  My condolences to you and your loved ones.

Jody 
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 03:38:18 am »

Basquo,

Sorry to hear that your ex has passed, you have my sincerest condolences.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 05:47:59 am »
Hi Creighton,

Sad passing and sadder still because of all the mindful decisions Ben had to make. You're in the profession so you know firsthand how much tougher it can be for an alert patient. However, deliberate self liberation on the other hand for some can be calming. Being the conductor is still good even though cars are unhitching from one's train.

A four-hour drive will give you time for reflection about good times you shared, his life and how great it is you are going to meet with his family and loved ones.

I'm sure you'll take along some music.

My sympathy.
Em

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 07:16:47 am »
Cr8on,

So sorry for your loss.  I hope the memories offer you some comfort.
  In sadness,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 08:26:44 am »
Creighton,

So very sorry to hear of you loss....  I'll be holding you in my thoughts.

Sending a hug, too!!

Mike

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 08:34:57 am »
That's very sad news, Basquo.

A parting like this is hard. Sending you my condolences.
Andy Velez

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 09:10:05 am »
B,

I am so sorry for your loss.  My deepest condolences.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 04:28:38 pm »
Creighton, so sad to hear of a loss like this.  when a close friend/loved one makes such difficult decisions it may sometimes be very hard to understand , we all make our choices and that is something to be honored. May  he rest in peace  at last  and be forever held in the loving memories of all those who knew him.

with great sadness
Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 07:42:45 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear this Creighton, thinking of you, and sending you and Ben's family prayers from NZ.

In sadness
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 08:30:49 pm »
Thank you all so much for your kind words.  It was a long day; 200 miles there, the service, meeting the rest of the family and getting the hell out of there (which was what Ben would have wanted me to do!) all with drizzly weather on the drive down, half of it in the dark. I listened to old cassettes of my college radios show from the 80's, and some party tapes from the early 90's. One of his cousins cruised me. Again, I got the hell out of there.  I did make arrangments for lunch with his sister, though, and it was really nice sitting next to her while she was holding her niece, who is really her granddaughter, while listening to his niece, who is really his great niece, give her eulogy about how Ben was, at different times, her uncle, her brother, and depending on the situation and her feelings, her mother, father and son. Ben was his own person, and we all had to let him go at one time or another, but he was also strong enough to let go of himself this time. I'm working on a shrine of sorts, just in time for Dia de los Muertos.  Really, he couldn't have picked a better time to go (that's a line from Absolutely Fabulous, which he only watched to please me.)

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 11:02:41 pm »

creighton.

this last post of your is going on my A-List of All American, All World, All Universe best time posts ever.

robert

Offline Basquo

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 09:04:16 pm »
iFeliz Dia de los Muertos!

The candle is San Martin de Porres, who believe it or not is the patron saint of hairstylists, and the drink is a Mind Eraser, which Ben and I never drank regularly but is made with Skyy vodka, which we did.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.