Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:51:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 359
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Body is aching all the time  (Read 9966 times)

Offline Sparkle730

Body is aching all the time
« on: February 26, 2009, 07:58:02 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I believe that I could have contracted HIV in Feb. of 2004 during my freshman year of college.  I stupidly had unprotected sex with a guy that was known to be a player.  Soon after I developed fever, severe swollen glands, terrible headaches, lack of appetite, diahrrea and severe lack of energy.  I got tested for HIV in May 2004, December 2006 and July 2008.  All negative results.
 Lately, my health has been in decline.  In November 2007, i had a severe upper respiratory infection with a really bad dry cough to the point that i could not breathe and fever.  In March 2008 I became severely constipated and lost 17 pounds in 3 months unitentionally.  At 23, I have been to a GI doctor and have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy.  All the doctor could conclude was that something had caused my GI tract to slow down.  In June 2008 i had soaking night sweats and began to develop some respiratory distress.  I was even hospitalized overnight in June 2008 with what doctors believed was a "lung infection".  After reviewing my blood work they asked if I had ever been tested for HIV.  I had been tested 3 times at that point all with negative results.  In November I had the mother off all tonsil infections with steriods prescribed to tone down the swelling. It was so severe I could not even breathe.  Soon after I developed a horrible yeast infection.  Recently I have gone to the ER due to severe lung pain and chest pain.  My blood gas tests were off, chest x-ray clear, platelets and WBC count a little low as well as a high ALT liver reading.  My body is aching all over the place.  I have severe pain in my lungs, it is literally all over my body.  I can no longer work out at the gym.  I also need to go get an echocardiogram because my doctor thinks i have something wrong with my heart.  I should note that i am 23, petite, not overweight and am a health fiend.  I have been tested for lupus and am negative and now my doctor is exploring other autoimmune diseases.  I explain to every doctor that I have been to about my possible HIV exposure.  I am scared out of my mind.  I know I should take comfort in my negative tests but i just can't.  I even confronted the guy who i think i contracted it from even though i haven't spoken to him in years.  I just feel that if i never become involved with him these things would not be happening to me.  Please help, I dont know what to do and I am totally convinced that somehow my tests were wrong.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Body is aching all the time
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 08:05:11 pm »
Spark,

Whatever is going on with you has absolutely nothing to do with hiv infection. You have tested more than conclusively hiv negative, far outside the window period. All those tests can't be wrong.

You don't have hiv. Keep working with your doctor to find out the cause of your symptoms. Hiv is NOT causing them.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sparkle730

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:06:25 pm »
Thank you Ann.  I should also note that I was tested for Hep A, B, and C.   Also, got my blood tested for Lupus but that is negative.  I should also say that since having this encounter 5 years ago I have had repeated yeast infections and have also stopped getting my period for the last 5 months.  Right now i have developed swollen lymph nodes in my groin.  I am so scared that i want to ask my PCP for a more sophisticated HIV test.  My platelet count when i went to the ER last weekend was only 225.  This was down more than 100 than my blood work at my doctor's office in July.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:31:00 pm by Sparkle730 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 05:13:14 pm »
Your additions still doesn't change the fact the you do not have HIV. Keep working with your doctor to get to the bottom of your problems.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 05:36:23 pm »
I agree with the others that this is not an HIV situation, but as far as your periods, or lack of them, could be something as simple as a low level of estrogen, the lack of estrogen itself creates a health concern that requires medical attention....talk to your Doctor about this, if you haven't already that is.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:33:51 am »
Spark,

You don't need a "more sophisticated hiv test". You are already conclusively hiv negative. You don't have hiv.

Hiv doesn't cause the cessation of periods - if anything, many hiv positive women I know have heavier periods than before they were positive, me included.

If you've been taking antibiotics for your various lung infections (or any infections), that could be the cause of your yeast infections. All I have to do is look at a bottle of antibiotics and I get yeast - and have done since long before I became positive. Please discuss this with your doctor.

Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with hiv. Keep working with your doctor to find out what is causing your problems - you've already ruled hiv out, and conclusively so. Good luck.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sparkle730

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:56:02 am »
This is Sparkle again.  I have just been diagnosed with Pulmonary Hypertension.  I am not a smoker or have any other diseases which impact the lung.  Now i am very worried.  I know that Pulmonary Hypertension is rare and is 1,000 times more likely in people living with HIV.  I was diagnosed by way of an echocardiogram.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:17:12 am »
Just because you haven't been able to get a diagnosis of what is causing your problems does not by default invalidate your negative HIV test results. This is absolutely NOT an HIV situation no matter what your fears maybe telling you to the contrary.

Given your ongoing stress it's not surprising to me that you maybe suffering from pulmonary hypertension.

You've been holding on to this unwarranted HIV fear for quite a long while. I suggest you see a therapist or other professional to discuss the problem.

This is not an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Sparkle730

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:46:06 am »
I am not "maybe" suffering from pulmonary hypertension, I am.  I should also point out that my lung function tests and other lung test show that lung damage is present.  So therefore, it is not "stress" causing my pulmonary hypertension.  Stress is much more likely to cause regular hypertension, which i do not have. Also, I do see a professional for therapy and i have been for most of my life.  I have not for 5 years always been worried about hiv.  I went through a very long period of years of not fearing hiv due to negative test results.  HOWEVER, the fact that i have things happening to me that are very common in hiv positive people than those in people with normal immune systems is questionable and would no doubt make me worry.  I think it would make anyone anxious.  Especially since many many many other things including other immune disorders have been ruled out for me.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 10:05:30 am »
Spark,

I don't know where you're getting your information on pulmonary hypertension, but it is NOT "common" in people with hiv. I know hundreds of people with hiv and not a single one has pulmonary hypertension.

What ever the cause of your lung trouble is, it is NOT hiv. You don't have hiv, remember? You've tested conclusively far outside the window period. Keep working with your doctor to find out the cause. You've already ruled hiv out of the picture.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Sparkle730

ID Doctor is thinking.........
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 04:55:39 pm »
Hello,

I have posted here several months ago regarding my possible HIV situation.  After undergoing many many many medical tests, my ID doctor is thinking that in addition to antibody testing i need to get HIV RNA testing even though i have tested neg. on various tests.  I am very scared and was wondering if you can explain what exactly the RNA test is and why i could possibly not test positive on HIV antibody tests.  Here is a refresher....

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I believe that I could have contracted HIV in Feb. of 2004 during my freshman year of college.  I stupidly had unprotected sex with a guy that was known to be a player.  Soon after I developed fever, severe swollen glands, terrible headaches, lack of appetite, diahrrea and severe lack of energy.  I got tested for HIV in May 2004, December 2006 and July 2008.  All negative results.
 Lately, my health has been in decline.  In November 2007, i had a severe upper respiratory infection with a really bad dry cough to the point that i could not breathe and fever.  In March 2008 I became severely constipated and lost 17 pounds in 3 months unitentionally.  My bloodwork at this time had low wbc 4.0, high lymph, low neut.   At 23, I have been to a GI doctor and have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy.  All the doctor could conclude was that something had caused my GI tract to slow down.  In June 2008 i had soaking night sweats and began to develop some respiratory distress.  I was even hospitalized overnight in June 2008 with what doctors believed was a "lung infection".  After reviewing my blood work they asked if I had ever been tested for HIV.  I had been tested 3 times at that point all with negative results.  In November I had the mother off all tonsil infections with steriods prescribed to tone down the swelling. It was so severe I could not even breathe.  Soon after I developed a horrible yeast infection.  Recently I have gone to the ER due to severe lung pain and chest pain.  My blood gas tests were off, chest x-ray clear, platelets and WBC count a little low as well as a high ALT liver reading.  My body is aching all over the place.  I have severe pain in my lungs, it is literally all over my body.  I can no longer work out at the gym.  I also need to go get an echocardiogram because my doctor thinks i have something wrong with my heart.  I should note that i am 23, petite, not overweight and am a health fiend.  I have been tested for lupus and am negative and now my doctor is exploring other autoimmune diseases.  I explain to every doctor that I have been to about my possible HIV exposure.  I am scared out of my mind.  I know I should take comfort in my negative tests but i just can't.  I even confronted the guy who i think i contracted it from even though i haven't spoken to him in years.  I just feel that if i never become involved with him these things would not be happening to me.  Please help, I dont know what to do and I am totally convinced that somehow my tests were wrong.

Offline RapidRod

Re: ID Doctor is thinking.........
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 04:57:26 pm »
Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

RETURN TO YOUR ORIGINAL THREAD.

Offline Sparkle730

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 05:08:34 pm »
Hello,

After undergoing many many many medical tests, my ID doctor is thinking that in addition to antibody testing i need to get HIV RNA testing even though i have tested neg. on various tests.  I am very scared and was wondering if you can explain what exactly the RNA test is and why i could possibly not test positive on HIV antibody tests. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 05:20:23 pm »
I've merged your threads. Please keep all your entries in this same thread.

Frankly, I think you need to get a second opinion. You have reliably tested negative for HIV. Just because a diagnosis hasn't been made of what is causing your symptoms does not by default mean the problem is HIV.

The RNA was not designed for diagnostic purposes so I don't see the purpose in having that done when you have tested negative at a reliable point.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 09:15:08 am »
Spark,

I totally agree with Andy - you need to get a second opinion from another doctor. The PCR diagnostic tests (RNA and DNA) are prone to false positive results. These false positive results are ruled out by the very diagnostic tests you've repeatedly tested negative on. How is he going to rule out a false positive if neither he nor you believe the tests that diagnose - or rule out - hiv infection? It sounds as though this doctor knows as little as you do about hiv testing and diagnosis. Time for a new doc who will move on and consider other differential diagnoses when one illness has been more than conclusively ruled out.

Unless you've recently been having unprotected intercourse that you haven't told us about, you do NOT have hiv.

BTW, I see you report once having raised liver enzymes. Have you been tested for hep B and C?

Whatever is going on with you, you have CONCLUSIVELY ruled hiv out of the picture. You do NOT have hiv!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Sparkle730

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 02:31:12 pm »
Can you please help me understand my lymph subset?  I am particularly interested in suppressor cells.  I know everything is normal..my doctors just say it's ok.  I just want some help understanding it though.

CD3% 84 57-85%
CD3 ABS 1468 840-3060
CD3+/CD4+ helper 60 30-61%
CD3+/CD4+ helper ABS 1044 490-1740
CD 3+/CD4+ suppres 19 12-42%
CD3+/CD8+ suppres ABS 327 180-1170
CD4/CD 8 Ratio 3.19 0.86-5.00
Absolute Lymphocyte CT 1751 850-3900 cells

please help me make more sense of this and maybe explain about the suppressor cells

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 02:38:11 pm »
Reread the last reply that Ann gave you.

Offline Sparkle730

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 02:47:05 pm »
Yes, rapidrod i did, i am not really asking in an HIV related context....i am just curious about it and i figured that you all would be knowledgable....I have been tested for Hepatitis...I am told i do not have it...although my test results for hep.c are antibody neg....0.07 Hep c. ratio....i am told i do not have hep.... i know you can get it through sexual contact but some people say no...i have never had unprotected intercourse..i have had unprotected oral sex with 2 partners.  I have never ever ever done any kind or drugs

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 04:48:23 pm »
This is an HIV specific forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 08:45:26 pm »
There is absolutely no doubt that you are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

You need to see another doctor to discuss your concerns and get an explanation for the symptoms that are bothering you. We can't diagnose anything here or interpret numbers for you. That's something to discuss with a reliable doctor.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.