Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:11:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 219
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Chia seeds  (Read 11393 times)

Offline friskyguy

Chia seeds
« on: January 27, 2013, 12:33:42 pm »
Picked up my first batch of "CHIA SEEDS" the natural version (not in capsule). I bought a mix of the white and black seeds and had it tonight in my smoothie......really great texture!!!

I' m always the last to accept the science and spruiking of a natural product that's billed to solve health problems...........however I have relented in this case!!!! You all might be on to this product already? Old news?

CHIA SEEDS have been known as a fantastic Super Food for centuries in the Aztec world and after reading extensively about it......it does seem pretty amazing......like a rediscovered treasure for the 21 century!

Apparently taking the world by storm recently too! Hard to find in my part of the world cause as soon as its imported.....it doesn't stay long enough on the shelves!!!!

Seems perfect for us pozzies due to its abundance of antioxidants / calcium / omega 3 / fibre / energy boost / stable blood sugars etc.........

Anyone else consuming it for a while that can report first hand on its benefits to one's health?

Sero converted Sept '10 / Confirmed + Dec '10
Jan '11, VL 9,500 / CD4 482 (32%)
Feb '11, VL 5,800 / CD4 680 (37%)
start Atripla
Mch '11, VL UD / CD4 700 (42%)
Jun  '11, VL UD / CD4 750 (43%)
swap to Kivexa and Efav. due to osteopenia diag. (DEXA) / kidney issues ( decline in eGFR to 77 )
start supplements - Vit D3 / Omega 3 / multivitamin / mini aspirin
Dec '11,  VL UD <20 /  CD4 670 (49%)  / CD4:CD8 = 1.4
all labs now within normal ranges
Mch '12,  VL UD / CD4 600 (51%)
Sep '12,  VL UD / CD4 810 (51%)
Mch '13   VL UD / CD4 965 (56%)
Sep '13   VL UD / CD4 (not taken)
Dec '13   VL UD / CD4 901 (35%) / CD4:CD8 = 1.1  /  eGFR > 100

Offline friskyguy

Re: The new "Super Food"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:36:58 pm »
start Atripla
swap to Kivexa and Efav. due to osteopenia diag. (DEXA) / kidney issues ( decline in eGFR to 77 )

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:08:40 pm »
I sometimes buy this cereal mix of pumpkin fig/ancient grains and it contains chia seeds, along with amaranth and quinoa flakes.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 03:35:36 pm »
EEP! That would be like eating my sweet little Chia Pet!!!

I PITY THE FOOL!

heh. Couldn't resist.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RWR

• if You think You can’t you can’t
Chia seeds
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 09:00:58 pm »
Everyone in the kettlebell class is trying chia seeds.  They all have xtra energy.  I seem to feel a difference. 
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline RWR

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:51:00 pm »
Hey Fiskyguy sorry I did not look for a post on the chia seeds.   Glad You love them too.  Big difference.  Also helps with digestion and I read one article where it helps acid reflux.  They are kindof slimy if they sit to long.

Hugs Bobby
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Chia seeds
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 04:16:38 am »
Bobby, I merged your new thread into Frisky's existing thread, but used your more self-explanatory thread title. :)

But come on guys, don't any of you remember Chia Pets? Surely I'm not the only old fart around here who does. ???

Oh, and I meant to ask... do you ingest these seeds as they are, or do you sprout them first? I'm asking because there are so many seeds out there that you do sprout first in order to get maximum nutritional value (and digestibility) from them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:21:34 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline friskyguy

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 06:07:22 am »
Had my crushed chia seeds (bought them this way) sprinkled over my pasta carbonara sauce tonite.......consistency and slight crunch and looks like regular course crushed black pepper. No need to buy the original beans and soak etc......and no need to eat is like alfalfa........just buy the course crushed black pepper looking ones in their container.

Had them in smoothies....great......and sprinkled on my greek salad. I bought a mix of white and black seeds and combined them. Store in fridge if you live in a clime with high humidity othewise last for years on the shelf when this is not a problem.

One tablespoon a day is enough.....no real taste so can add in curries and the if you soak (turns into a gel.....substitute for butter for baking if that your thing).

What I love about this 'superfood' is the unlimited variety you can use them. No more psyllium husk or flax seeds for me. Such a bloody great find!!!!!

Some fast facts below for those too busy to do some research......info easy to find on the net:

Chia is said to: provide 2x the protein of most other seeds and grains, provide 3x the antioxidant levels of blueberries, be a rich source of calcium and contain the mineral boron, which helps with the absorption and utilization of calcium, provide 3x the iron found in spinach, provide 2x more potassium than a banana. More commonly known about the chia is that it is an amazing source of essential fatty acids (the 'good' fats).

Additionally, adding chia seeds into the daily diet has shown to improve the nutrient absorption of all foods, including nutritional supplements.

FOR ANN-Is it better to grind or soak chia seeds or can you just eat them raw?

All species of Chia are from the Mint (Lamiaceae or Labiatae) family, this includes both the black and white species.  People use the Chia Seeds to help lower high blood pressure, increase High Density Lipoproteins (good cholesterol), prevention and reversal of insulin resistance and lowering of serum Triglycerides levels. 

This herb was a staple in the ancient Aztec diet and typically contains Omega 3,6 and 9 essential fatty acids (34% oil), anti-oxidants, protein (20%) and fibre (25%) content and for this reason many call it a complete food.

By grinding or soaking the seeds first it helps to break down the rough fibre and this makes it easier on the digestive tract and therefore the beneficial effects are improved.  Some companies recommend that a blend of Black and White Chia is the best option as a variety of foods and colours is a good overall way to improve health, and by combining both you will receive the benefits of both of these super foods.

You may even like to add the soaked or ground seeds to foods such as smoothies, cereal, yoghurt or sprinkled on top of a fruit salad.
start Atripla

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 07:14:55 am »
Thanks for that Frisky. It's interesting that they come from the mint family. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 09:48:44 am »
I'm going to have to give these a try, thanks for the info

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 09:51:58 am »
I'm going to have to give these a try, thanks for the info

-Will

Are you going to batter dip and fry them ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 09:58:24 am »
Are you going to batter dip and fry them ?

No silly. They are for sprinkling in my salty gravy ::)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline RWR

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 10:17:41 am »
Thanks Ann
I have a tablespoon in the morning and afternoon with my protein drink.  I like the fact that they keep me feeling full so I do not snack so much.  Last night I put a few inside my turkey and cheese wrap.

Hugs Bobby
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline RWR

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 10:19:24 am »
Oh yea Ann I do remember the chia pets. That is what I thought of when My instructor told us about them.

Hugs Bobby
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.