Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:48:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 327
Total: 327

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Positive thoughts needed.  (Read 5454 times)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Positive thoughts needed.
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:49:58 pm »
29 of our miners are trapped in a coal mine over on the west Coast of the South Island NZ, I'm asking for you all to send your positive thoughts and your prayers for the miners and their familieswho  who are keeping a close watch at the mine face, what a lot of families are thinking about are the Chilean miners made it out, and hoping  their men will make it out too.

As for right now,5.40 pm Saturday night NZ time, there has been no contact with them, methane gas is keeping the rescue worker at bay for the moment, however two men have been able to get out with minor injuries.

Hugs
Jan  :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Granny60

Re: Positive thoughts needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:00:57 am »
+ + + + + + + +  may the rest follow the first two that came out.

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 04:16:29 am »
Dear Jan

I'm sending prayers from across the Tasman.

Paul

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 04:46:28 am »
Jan, I heard about this on the news.  Sending positive thoughts that those poor miners all make it out safe.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:59:18 am »
Sending focused good vibes like a laser beam.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Jody

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 01:11:47 pm »
Here's hoping all the remaining miners make it up fine Jan, they have lots of methods these days to do so.   With an earthquake earlier this year and now this, it hasn't been the best of years for the folks in New Zealand, here's to better days ahead!

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:38:14 pm »
I recently toured a mine in West Virginia. I can't imagine being trapped in that situation. I hope they are all rescued soon and safely.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 05:04:44 pm »
Hey Jan,

I'm sending mucn positive energy to the miners and their families.

I hope they are out soon, safe and sound.

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 05:35:15 pm »
Geez, I hadn't heard of this. That's terrible.

I hope your fellow New Zealanders get out safely.

and yes, big thoughts and prayers from South Texas.

-WIll
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 05:44:35 pm »
Positive energy sent!  That profession is very hazardous and I am sorry to hear that people are again trapped underground.  I hope it all works out well.

Offline weasel

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 06:22:36 pm »

Hi Jan , When Bob and I saw this on T.V.  We  both said a prayer

and will continue to pray for the men  trapped !

Carl   &   Bob

" Live and let Live "

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 04:59:32 am »
Thank you.

It's been 29 hours now and still no contact with the miners, it's still too dangerous for rescuers to enter the mine...it's not looking good for those poor men and their families.

Hugs
Jan :(

Offline komnaes

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 05:19:12 am »
Hope they'd all be fine.. there's been too many mining accidents recently.. :-[
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 10:37:25 am »
My thoughts and prayers are with the miners and thier families.
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Granny60

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 01:32:18 pm »
how about an update?

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 04:12:32 pm »
Taken from the local paper today:

LATEST: The army has been asked to prepare a robot to be dropped down into the West Coast mine where 29 men remained trapped.

Pike River chief executive Peter Whittall said this morning that the army had been asked to work on the robot, which would only be 600mm wide.

Rescuers were also looking at piping out gas that was trapped in the mine.

Whittall hit out at "speculative" media coverage, which was not helping the families.

Earlier, Grey District mayor Tony Kokshoorn said a search and rescue effort to save the trapped Pike River miners needed to go ahead today for the sake of their families.

Kokshoorn said the rescue team were going to put a laser camera down a bore hole currently being drilled into the mine, at a depth of 150m.

Drilling was expected to be completed by 10.30am. The team would also take air samples.

"Somehow today they have to make a move forward. But even as I'm saying that I'm thinking, I don't know how, I just don't know how."

"We're in limbo, we're desperate. [Families are] reaching the end of their tethers," Kokshoorn said.

It has now been more than 65 hours since anyone heard from the 29 miners.

Hugs

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 06:15:13 pm »
Mid-day News:

They are now talking about Search and Recovery as opposed to Search and Rescue..how sad for the families waiting for their loved ones.

Offline fearless

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 08:37:48 pm »
It's not looking good, Jan. But fingers and toes and positive thoughts.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 03:15:50 am »
Still no word after 5 days, they sent down some equipment to see if they could detect any noise, yelling, tapping etc, but nothing was heard.

The men are are in 3 different groups, in different parts of the mine, any chance of them being found is  extremely slim, they have pretty much given up hope of finding them alive..it's heartbreaking watching the families slowly coming to terms with the loss of their loved ones.

In sadness

Offline Cliff

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 03:38:19 am »
Thoughts and prayers with the family.  The updates seem to be heading in the wrong direction. 

:(

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 04:18:52 am »
I know what a miracle it was when the Chilean miners were rescued. I also know that these miracles cannot happen very often, and that the reality of these hard working people's existence is far more bleak than we can imagine. My thoughts and sympathies go out to the families. I have listened to the stories, and they are both compelling and tragic.

I was especially moved by the 17 year old who had gotten into some trouble in his younger days, whose mother had moved to the city so that he could redeem himself, with a dream of becoming a miner. He was not scheduled to work that day, but went in anyhow, and stayed past his hour-long introduction because he insisted on seeing out the shift, and perhaps gaining a little respect from his elders.

He is still down there.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 05:59:23 am »
The thoughts are there Jan. My Mother is from a mining family--South Shields-- Grandfather and Uncles miners, with Thatcher it was not such a choice for the cousins.
One off the very powerfull visual images I have is my Fathers wake and sitting with the  Uncles and seeing that not one off then had a complete set of fingers.
Take care
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline fearless

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 12:30:14 am »
May they rest in peace.

Latest news is that there has been a 2nd explosion at the mine, larger than the first, and that all 29 miners have perished.  :'(
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 02:13:20 am »
I just heard/read the news here too. I am so sorry. It is such a tragedy. I never, ever want to be immune to this sort of news. AIDS has a way of desensitizing a person, as I am sure does any chronic/terminal illness. This loss just reflect on my own, personal losses this past year. Moffie, Lisa...

I have to drive about seven hours tomorrow, in the rain, with loads of traffic, and police watching. But am going to throw down a couple of tequila shots tonight, and mourn all the noble dead.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 10:03:00 am »
A second blast has stopped all efforts acording to MSNBC.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40330385/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

How very tragic.  May they have not suffered and will rest in peace.

RAB 

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 08:06:59 pm »
I was in the middle of a talk to the Midwifes in Dunedin when one of the Doctors came in and gave us the news..more than a few tears were shed.

New Zealand but especially the South Island is now in mourning, they just want thier men out now so they can have some closure.

I just heard/read the news here too. I am so sorry. It is such a tragedy. I never, ever want to be immune to this sort of news. AIDS has a way of desensitizing a person, as I am sure does any chronic/terminal illness. This loss just reflect on my own, personal losses this past year. Moffie, Lisa...

I stand with you on that Jonathon.

Thank you all for your prayers, kind words and thoughts for the families here in the South Isaland.

In sadness
Jan :'(

Granny60

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2010, 11:25:41 am »
Amid all this sad tragedy in New Zealand is this wonderful uplifting story

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/25/boys-found-alive-after-50-days-at-sea/?hpt=T2

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.