Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:34:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 228963 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2007, 06:07:38 pm »
Hello Jeffrey,

A truly open, honest, and couragious post. Thanks for sharing. You are a survivor !!

All my best-----Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline JeffreyM

• 11:11
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2007, 04:02:10 am »
Hello  Cindy, kellyspoppi , Daniel , &  Ray - Thank you for your kind words, they are very much appreciated!  I am so very grateful to be alive an mostly well i n 2007. MY best to you all,  Hugs to all!  JeffreyM

Offline mjmel

« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2007, 05:21:09 am »
Hi Jeffrey. Wow, what an intense life story. Good lord, I want you for a neighbor and friend. Wonderful outlook--and survival skills. :-*  You crawled inch by inch, at times, to stay here and am glad you are here...........very much alive and throwing off such good energy.
Jeffrey, I have the The Power Of Intention by Wayne Dyer CD set which I have had for a couple of years now. I just started listening to
the recordings early this week. Yes, they sat on the somewhat cluttered bookself and "now" is the time I start listening. Must be ripe for it's message.  ;) So far, love it!
Glad you have joined us here on the forum. Nice to 'meet' you.
xxx,
Mike

Offline dplush

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2007, 11:16:47 pm »
I am David. I have been living with HIV since 1985. Asymptomatic and on truvada and reyataz. I don't take norvir. It is too taxing on my bowels. I was in the preclinical trials in Chicago for ribavirin. Then I was in the clinical trials for AZT. That was a long time ago. My t - cells at their lowest were once 179 in 1986 but since then they have ranged between 500 and 800. They seem to be 500 and up and down in the 500's for a year and then would move up. My HIV issue is the mental health aspect, depression, anxiety, and all that fun stuff. I take some celexa, lorazepam, and ambien. I now live in Phoenix. A much better climate. Ciao!

Offline JeffreyM

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2007, 04:10:04 am »
Hi Mike, I'm glad you dusted of your WD Cd's!  I'm not sure where I would be without the wonderful gifts I have received from the book and the Cd's I  copied from the library (for example just one thing I learned). I stopped thinking and saying I  "wanted" love to come into my life, because Source would keep me in a perpetual state of want. Source only gives us what we ask for.  I starting saying "I am love" - starting thinking I already have it, so therefore I am it. I find love everywhere around me, I find beauty, kindness, too.

Another big change was to stop saying things like "I can't make ends meet this month". well, these words are powerful and I changed a few years ago by replacing this with "all of my needs are met". Little miracles started to happen all around me, things started to change. My life needs were met, I was able to get a new car, new cell phone (that I really needed). A good friend of mine had a family plan and one of her nieces didn't need it anymore, so she added me to her plan and gave me a new phone!

I feel I am exactly where I was supposed to be.  It has really helped me to release as many negative emotions as possible, regret for instance and I replaced it with affirmations of being creative, well, I'm now drawing with oil pastels on canvas and I have never drawn before. I am careful of every word that I speak, because I truly believe it is creating my future circumstances. Thanks for you very kind response and nice to "meet" you too!  Can't wait to hear how you do once you implement Dr. Dyers philosophy into your life.  JeffreyM

HI dplush, a big welcome to you!  I lived in Phoenix for over twenty years, glad you are enjoying the climate. Take care of yourself!  Jeffrey
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 04:14:41 am by JeffreyM »

Offline gaspode

• A very naughty nurse
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2007, 02:33:19 pm »
Hi,
I'm Gary and I live in Brighton, England. Tested positive in 1986, just a few weeks before my 24th birthday. Wondered if I'd make it to 25, and now very happy that I made it to 45!!
In 1998 I qualified as an RN, and from January 1989 til July 1995 I worked in an AIDS in-patient unit (talk about confronting your demons!). In July 1995 I was retired on health grounds and pretty much waited to die, watching my CD4 plummet and my health go pear-shaped. But in late 96 I started on HAART and by July 97 was back working full time. I actually found this process of recovery more difficult - thinking that I'd die was in some ways a relief - and end to the waiting. Getting a life back meany rediscoveting hope, and that was a challenge!
But real hope came in the shape of my current partner - a gorgeous Bralilian who I met just as I was returning to work, and we just very recently celebrated 10 years together. He changed my life completely and helped me to love again.
Unable to live together here in the UK, I went (despite the protests of my family and friends) to love with him in Brazil, and we lived there together until we were able to move to the UK legally in 2002. I now work in palliative/terminal care, although not related to HIV!!
Won't bore you all with my long meds history, but have been through a lot of them and have a horrifying resistance profile. I'm also well aware of whatr it feels like to look like a potato man - big baly and stick limbs and facial wasting. But late last year, with a deteriorating liver function related to meds, I opted to try kaletra monotherapy, and that has been wonderful, and I seem to be getting some shape back!!
At one time I could have reeled out my blood results since the beginning, but now I'm too busy living, and can only tell you that my viral load has been undetectable continuously for the last 6 years (so much for resistance) and my CD4 hs been above 1000 for a long time!
Nice to meet you all  :)

Offline cayucosguy

« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2007, 01:58:19 pm »
I guess it's time to tell the whole story here...

Best we can figure out, I seroconverted in the Summer of 1984 while living in Washington, DC.
Actually had no major health problems until October, 1997, when I was in ICU for Viral Meningitis.  I bounced back pretty quickly and returned to work within 3 weeks.
Then, in April of 1999, after returning from a business trip to Las Vegas, I began having difficulty breathing.  Went to my regular doctor who immediately shipped me off to the hospital.  Diagnosed with PCP.  CD4 = 42 @ 3%, VL = 485k.  Began Zerit, Videx, Viracept, Mepron and Bactrim.  Turns out I'm allergic to sulfa-based drugs, so the Bactrim gave me a horrible rash, and had to stop taking it.  Shortly thereafter came the thrush and my first case of shingles (face, neck, scalp & inside my ears!).  Was out of work for four months, had to rely on my local ASO for rent, utilities, food, etc., was encouraged but gave no thought to going out on disability.
I am now on my 8th year of meds (Reyataz, Norvir, Truvada) and still working full time.  The initial combo left me with some neuropathy, but not too bad.  Never had to deal with lipoatrophy, but I'm sure getting a gut on these new meds!
For now, I'm satisfied with my health and my numbers (CD4 = 420 @ 26%, VL = undetectable).
This week I started on Chantix to finally stop smoking, so I'm hoping that will help with my overall health.  I also need to get back on the bicycle and the weights, but without a workout buddy I find it difficult to maintain any type of regular regimen.
Well, that's the story for now.  Looking forward to meeting some of you at AMG '07 next month.
Vince -

Offline gaspode

• A very naughty nurse
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2007, 05:49:11 pm »
This week I started on Chantix to finally stop smoking, so I'm hoping that will help with my overall health. 

I stopped smoking on May 10th 2006 - haven't touched a ciggie since. Good luck - worth the struggle!!

Offline buca45

« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2007, 11:43:44 am »
Hello everyone and congratulations on making positive choices in your lives that have allowed us all to age with this condition and now have the distinction of being termed "Long Term Survivors"....I have been callled plenty of things in my life, but of this one I am most proud!!
I have been positive for 16+ years now and have had many, many smaller ailments which thankfully were caught before they progressed to a more serious level.
At present, I am on SSDI due to severe depression, anxiety, psychosis from hiv meds and severe fatigue syndrome that doesnt allow me to hold a regular job as I had since I turned 16.
Alright, you asked for it, so here goes with my condensed story of my life.
I was born in the summer of 1959 on a Indian Reservation in South Dakota to a single mother. No father was present for my childhood. But in true Native American fashion, my maternal grandmother acted as both an 'unchi', or grandmother and also filled the position as a father. At that time, I also had one older brother, 4 years my senior.
Our home consisted of one room, was hand built by my grandfather (who passed soon after constructing it) and was made with logs from the trees he chopped down by hand. The windows were plastic sheeting and the floor was a dirt floor. We had an outhouse some distance away from our home and remember running through both snow drifts and hordes of mosquitoes to do my business!! Our house had no running water or electricity....instead of those luxuries, we had a small stream nearby and a once a month battery which powered our only contact to the outside world, a small AM radio.
From my birth to the time we moved to the "big city", only my native language was spoken in our home. I had no idea that less than 200 miles away there was an entirely different group of people who were nothing like us.
All was fine until I grew enough for my mother and brother to notice my behavior wasn't that of a little boys and although I doubt they knew what gay was at that time, they realized that this is what I was.
This revelation begin what would be a life long series of different types of abuse that made me seriously doubt why exactly I was born to this earth.
We moved, at age 7  to Rapid City where we immediately were enrolled in school. Not knowing English at all, I was just thrown into a group of kids and was expected to figure out how to survive in this new world. This of course, was before the bilingual, multi cultural educational offerings that are available today.
So, here I was, a gay native American boy on his own. Since the secret of my orientation was out amongst my family, they were ashamed of me and offered no help fitting into my new surroundings. Slowly I taught myself the language and some survival skills to fit into my new world. I remember a third grade teacher who seemed to give me extra attention and made me her 'pet', much to the disappointment of my classmates. It was with her help and guidance that I realized I was what the Great Spirit created and was not a freak of nature or something to be ashamed of.
During my year with Mrs. Lyke and her help, I quickly excelled in my school work but because of the inferiority complex which was the result of abuse at home, I remained somewhat a loner throughout my school years. As much as I liked myself, nothing i could do would impress my mother or brother who seemed to have the mission of breaking me down with their endless abuse. I often wonder what they were attempting to accomplish and how family members could be so destructive towards one of their own.
Regardless, I persevered and with the help of a gay friendly aunt who lived in Denver, I was exposed to a world that was new and exciting to me. This aunt persuaded my mother (wasn't too hard to do) to allow me to at first spend summers with her beginning at age 10, then progressed into my living with her full time when i entered high school.
Through her encouragement, I met people (many of her gay friends) and traveled across the country. Each summer, she planned an adventure for us...The Grand Canyon, California, New Mexico, Texas.......and I was exposed to so many great things and people that my severely abusive years seemed to fall out of my mind.
Her main goal was to have me get my education and to see the differences of many cultures and live life through others' eyes. For this, I am eternally grateful and although she passed years ago, I feel her influence in all that I do now.
Again, although I had several gay adult friends of hers as my mentors and friends, I was rejected by gay boys my own age as the separation of Indians and White people continued in SD. I so wanted to be a part of their group, but was thought of (and often called) as a 'dirty Indian' and was never accepted there.
Now in hindsight, the white gay boys (little screamers they were) did me a tremendous favor. By rejecting me, they opened the doors to the older gay men and women who took me under their collective wings and taught me how to survive in our world. With out their influences, I don't think I would be alive today as the abuse suffered from my family combined with the exclusion I felt from my gay peers would have led me to suicide at a young age.
So, here I am now a high school graduate and looking at the rest of my life. Again, my aunts determination to have me educated persuaded me to enter college in Denver where I received the first of two Bachelors Degrees.
Shortly after completing my senior year, I begin my first relationship with a man who was 8 years my senior. He was a wonderful, fun loving man who had the curiosity of a child. Through his eyes, I lived the child's life I wasn't able to live earlier.
He made everything seem new and fun. Together we had a blast together.
Although I received a Business degree, since he was a Waiter at a upscale hotel and made a tremendous amount of money, I followed his lead and did the same. I enjoyed what I did and soon continued my education, this time earning a Restaurant Management Degree.
We moved to several major cities in the country....Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale and Chicago before finally buying a home in Orlando.
Although we loved each other, I felt something was missing in my life and I figured out that something was sex with many partners....duh, i had known then what I know now......
Anyway, because of three bouts of childhood molestation at the hands of a Priest, I had some rather severe hangups about sex. Once we agreed to an open relationship 13 years into the game, I went about getting myself over the damage caused by the molestation/rape. I did this by thinking that if I fucked and sucked every man who came along, the scars that were left from my childhood would be eliminated.
Alas, that was not the case, as only a deeper scar was formed when I became HIV positive.
A few months after my conversion, I ended the relationship by forcing my inner rage and hatred of what I did to myself on the man who loved me unconditionally. I abused him both physically and emotionally until one day, I realized that not only had i ruined my life with my promiscuity, but I was also ruining my partners life as well.
Thinking I was alone now to deal with my health issues, I continued to party and F & S any man I wanted. I was fortunate to inherit one good thing from my parents and that was good genes. Through my endless search for sexual fulfillment, I learned that I was highly desired by a lot of men in the gay community and I took advantage of these looks.
As wrong as I knew it was now and then, I continued with a major fuckfest, mowing down partner after partner. Still, every morning as I would kick out the previous night's trick, I would start planning on where I would find my next all too willing victim.
On one of these ventures, I met a man....a very dear sweet man who actually looked me in the eyes and let me know in a matter of seconds who he was and how he knew what I was.
Withing 5 minutes of meeting him, I realized that this man would not be just another sex hookup of mine and i blurted out midsentence....I AM HIV POSITIVE and started to walk away. He followed with our drinks in his hands until I stopped and just stared into my eyes and said...."OK so you are only looking for other poz men or can we just talk and see if we can be friends?"
Five or six hours later, we were still talking on the edge of a lake off of downtown Orlando and he took me to his apartment.
The next day, he gave me a ride home across town and gave me his number. That was all I could think about.....how do i call him and invite him out...what do i say...what if he doesn't want to see me cause I'm poz....call him already!!!!
And I did. That Friday night, I, at 37 years old, had my first REAL date.
Again, we talked until the sun came up and went to sleep in each others arms.
Later that week we met again and since it was Valentines Day, he bought me a card and put his condo key inside the envelope.
As they say, the rest is history.
Through the past ten years, this man has been by my side in health and sometimes those times when I couldn't even mutter the word health.
Everything I would ever want or need this man is there and I am there for him as well. Because of him, I can do as I want, go as I want and feel an intense LOVE no matter what I do.
I plan on spending the rest of my days with him and couldn't even begin to imagine a day with out his love.
So, there it is....a few lines about my self!!!!
Thanks for all who took the three hours to read this mini novel and I hope that I find some new friends here. From what I have read so far, this forum is full of warm, kind and sincere people who, if I am lucky, I will have the pleasure of someday calling my friends.
Take Care all and thanks for reading my story...........

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:22:39 pm by buca45 »
"Love and Laughter and Happiness Ever After"

Offline bear60

« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2007, 11:22:19 am »
Hi Buca
Just wanted to say.....that was quite a story!!!! Hope to know you better.
Bear
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline JeffreyM

« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2007, 09:21:50 am »
Hi Buca, Thanks for introducing yourself. I admire your strength.  A big hug to you, JeffreyM

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2007, 11:01:53 am »
Welcome Buca,

I have to tell you some parts of your history mirror my own, especially the alienation by relatives and the abuse/neglect thereof. And for that selfish reason I am a bit teary eyes at the moment.

I came out to my family at age sixteen and was promptly thrown out of the house. If I’d had such a loving and insightful aunt as you did I might not have screwed up my life so severely before I woke up and learned to love myself.

Thank you for reminding me how far I’ve come and what I survived, and welcome aboard again.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline buca45

« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2007, 12:32:15 pm »
Thank you Bear, Jeffery and Daniel for the welcome!! It makes me feel like part of the community. Also a thank you to those who have PMed me regarding this post.......all messages are very much appreciated!!
Yes Daniel, I consider myself SO fortunate for having my aunt in my life and for her to be so in touch with my unspoken self. Had I not had her influence, I cannot imagine where my life would have gone. 
There is nothing to feel selfish about in feeling emotional about your past. I find myself tearing up at any tv or movie moment, or commercial that shows how some families are close and accepting of each other. Hallmark commercials get to me so bad that i will just turn the channel when one comes on.
I am glad to hear that you, like I, have learned that self love is the best thing to have in your life...congratulations on that revelation.
"Love and Laughter and Happiness Ever After"

Offline chefrusty904

« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2007, 06:00:18 am »
Good morning . My name is russell and am living with A.I.D.S. since 1990.
I am in good health. I try to stay happy all the time. A smile on the face goes a LONG WAY.
When I am at my lowest points in life I smile the most. A smile and a joke can move mountains.

Offline thedingoman

• Living & Loving Life without Fear - Always!
    • The DingoMan's Cyber Home Personal Pages
Old Hippie Poz Biker & Long Term Survivor
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2007, 07:17:48 pm »
I'm a 53 soon to be 54 year old long term survivor, infected between 80-82 with tainted ink that was shared from my partner who had HIV when they called it the gay flu.  I got diagnosed in 83 or 84 with the pilot program of I believe what was called the western blot - hell its been so damn long ago I can't remember - maybe I've inhaled too many motorcycle fumes over the years.

I am currently living in Georgia with my former partner Clay.  I travelled frequently over the years and during 2001 - 2006 I travelled 135,000+ miles on my motorcycles after recovering from my first AIDS related illness which took me down in 05-97.

I'm not riding the roads like I use to since I have had a small battle with prostate cancer and kidney disease but am still alive and kicking.

I also want to express how important POZ magazine has been to our community and am very happy that POZ crossed "all barriers" and has become what it has today.  The online POZ site has become a very important element of information and outreach to many of us who have lived with HIV.

I have pesonal web pages that I have maintained over the years and recently have been able to start working on those pages now that I have some time and am not buzzing around the roads as I had been.

I'm also back on the internet after being off for the past couple of years and am glad to see POZ has expanded their services for us!   THANK YOU POZ!

Jim Thurman
www.thedingoman.com/aboutme.html
www.pozrider.com
Vroooooooooom!
the dingo
www.thedingoman.com

Offline ybbat67

« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2007, 05:47:04 pm »
I am Warren from Queensland Australia, 40 years young. I have been living with HIV since 1986. I am on Truvada and Kaletra. My  issues are  depression and am on Zoloft. Another is being lonely and growing old alone. Living in a semi rural area doesn't help  i guess but then I am not really a person into the city pub culture.

I am new to this forum.

Thank you for reading :-)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2007, 05:49:37 pm »
Hey Warren!

Welcome to the Forums! Matty the Damned dwells in rural NSW. It's not Queensland but it's isolated enough.

MtD :)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2007, 06:49:32 pm »
Hi Warren

Ex-pat from Perth WA..now living in rural NZ...welcome to the forums hope you stay around and get to know everyone.

Ok you LTS...now you can kick me out... ;)

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline ybbat67

« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2007, 11:33:29 pm »
Thank you for your warm welcome.

cheers

Warren

Offline bahbayb

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2007, 01:05:42 pm »
Where do i begin? Well, I am now back in Montréal,where I was born,however had been living in San Francisco,since 1976.I came back here to retire,because San Francisco had changed so much since my arrival in 1976.I had lost a lost of friends,and most of the ones left,had already moved or were about to.When I moved in 76 it was because I had met Philip,who became my partner until his premature passing from AIDS in 1985 ,to be precise one week before Rock Hudson's.We both were terribly ill in the summer of 1978,with very high fevers,beginning with me.This is when I suspect and my Doctor agreed that I was infected.I found out i was HIV positive in early 1987.My first TCell count was 620.I was a gardener,and I  can remember being in a large beautiful peaceful garden in Belvedere across from the Golden Gate.The man I was working for Jim was at the other end of the garden and on sunny afternoons I could hear his beeper beeping away,reminding him to take his AZT.Right there and then I said to myself this is not for me,it took me a long time to accept taking medicine.In 1991 i kept looking at a very small purple spot on my left bicep.I knew it was KS having seen so many leasions all over Philip's body before he died next to me.I had it biopsied,and it came back positive.Lucky for me I have not have another on unless some a growing unknowingly inside me.I took my first medecine in 1994.Epivir,Abacavir and Zerit.13 years later i am
now on my second regimen,Viramune,Videx,and Viread.I have had bad bouts of Neuropathy,on and off.My last test last March I was undetectable and my Tcells where at 450.Because I was getting ready to move back to Montreal,in June I could not get an appointment with my Doctor at the VA in San Francisco after the March one.When I arrived here I had to wait 3 months in order to get into the Quebec health system.I had enough pill for a little over 2 months,and the third month was to be mailed by a friend of mine in SF. For some reason the pills never got to me,and I was 8 or 9 days without medication.I began again on Sept.04 when I had my first meeting with my new Doctor here.Blood was drawn,and resistance test were done,and I am to get results on Oct. 16 very soon.I do want to change medication because of the Neuropathy,caused in part by Videx (DDI)I may need help in choosing what will be offered to me on the 16th.
All I can say is that when I first found out I was positive,all I ask for was 3 years,and look how many I got.I will be 67 in March.Another thing I found out since I have been in Montreal,is the cost of my medicine.In San Francisco,I was being seen at the VA.( Yes I am a Veteran in the US.I am still a Canadian,but joined the American Army at 18 in 1959,just because I loved Americans so much,and got a Green Card from my service.)is the true cost of what I take.It gives me a different perspective on things.Viramune $312.00 a month,Viread,$515.00 a month and Videx $211.00 a month,in order to keep me alive.

Offline kennyboi

• Have a laugh or at least a smile!!
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2007, 06:45:36 pm »
Hello all!!

My name is Ken and I live just north of Detroit.  I'm 40 and pretty healthy (VL--undetectable 08/31 and CD4 about 400). I've had some recent VL blips and some drops in my CD4's, but I'm bouncing back.   Autumn is in the air after a nice heat wave around here.  I just started a new job (I work in health care) and it looks like it will work pretty well for me.  I also teach surgical technology at a local community college and love doing that.

I've been positive (diagnosed in 2002, probably infected in 1999 after a less than responsible evening).  I was hospitalized a week after my test and diagnosed with PCP.  I climbed back from that and plan on staying strong for a good while yet!!  I'm currently taking Atripla and it is working quite well for me.

I have a wonderful family and excellent friends.  I credit all of my success to them.  Any bad stuff is my own fault.  Actually, some of the success is because I do bust my ass to earn it. 

I strongly encourage any of you who have not been to the mitten state to take a trip north on I-75 during fall to see the most beautiful landscape in the world!!  Stay strong and be proud!!

Peace,

Ken   :D

Offline sureshot02

« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2007, 04:45:47 pm »
Hi Everyone

My name is Don I am 44yrs young..  I have been living with the virus since 1982 ( think I was infected in the late 70's) I too am considered to have AIDS.

In 1990 I was told I had AIDS had a t-cell count of 2 and a VL of over 500,000..  Was told I only had weeks left.. I weight was 66 lbs and I am 5'9"..Her I am 17 years later talking about it to everyone..  I go to the local schools and give speeches on safe sex and living with AIDS..  I feel if I can get to 10 out of 100 kids I have saved someone the heart ache of living with the virus..

I work in health care now taken care of people with disabilities..

Glad to find a new forum and meet new people..

Have a Great Day 

Offline bear60

« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2007, 05:07:20 pm »
Thanks for stopping in Don.  We are all survivors and you have shown a great deal of courage.

Offline sureshot02

« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2007, 10:34:00 am »
Thanks Bear

Went to the doc yesterday.  668 t-cells now and undetectable VL..    ;D   This is the best it has been in over 20 years.  I'm just so happy

Offline sureshot02

« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2007, 11:04:52 am »
Sorry all

My t-cell count is 886 not 668.  Fingers don't want to work this morning..  LOL

Don

Offline PASSIONATEromantic

« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2007, 07:21:05 am »
GOoDmornin' to all from the beautiful AUTUMNlandscape of northern indiana...
THANKS to all of you for sharing your stories, wisdom and giving HOPE for "better days ahead"... :)
when I was first diagnosed hiv+ in 1990...my first question to the doctor was "what do I do now?" and her first comment was "I wouldnt make a big investment of buying a car or a home"...needless to say I began my search for a much more compassionate & caring doctor....I have gone thru several TRIALstudies and medicines and continue to be "asymptomatic"....I feel a song comin' on...."IF SHE COULD SEE ME NOW!"

I have recently retired from a passionate thirty three year teaching career  and moved from houston back to my "roots" in a small community in northen indiana and beginning to search for my next career in healthcare...

I feel SO BLESSED each morning when my feet "hit the floor" and I begin my day with a WARMcup of coffee and an INSPIRATIONALsunrise....my HOPE & STRENGTH comes from my lifestyle of "positiveTHINKING"...
no pun intended... :) ... being surrounded by a loving & caring family...being nestled in this WONDERland of motherNATURE...and my SPIRITUALwalk...

this FORUM is just anotherBLESSING along the way... :) ...I am a recent member of this site and it is almost overwhelming to have found so many  caring&sharing people in one "spot"... :)
THANKSagain... to each one of you for sharing your story...
ENJOY this day and all you do....michael

Offline princess1979

• Princess Angel
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2007, 09:28:53 pm »
Hello allOk, my name is Jessica.  I'm new to this site. Though nowhere close to being new, of living with H.I.V... I am 29 yrs. old, I have been poz, since 1995.. I'm still unsure of how to deal with all of this.  I honeslty ain't even used to introducing myself, as being positive, online or in everyday life. I don't even know to really start, nor where to end. So please excuse me, if my words don't come out right.  I have always been ashamed of my status, & I was only 17 when I found out I was poz, though I was infected, at the young age of 16, due to a rape.  I'm still trying to find away to actually deal with, that I really am sick & it just isn't gonna go away. I know I should be able to deal with being poz after almost 13yrs, but I can't.  My husband whom I've been with for awhile now.. Is also positive, so now I  kinda have someone, whom knows what I'm going through.. But he is a newbie to it for the most part. I think I maybe need friends whom I can get more of an understanding from.. Which in the real world, I have no friends, whom are poz., not that I know of anyways, well except for my husband.. Which I don't wanna sit and talk to him, about our illness, everytime I wanna talk about it.. I just don't think, that's something we as a couple, should really need to talk about. Anyways I'm just looking for some friend, whom I can every talk to, if I ever need to talk. So if you might be looking for someone to just talk to also, please feel free to contact me.  Thanks  GOD bless
**~**Princess Angel**~**

Offline SteveA

« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2007, 01:12:38 am »
Hi. I'm 44 and I've been POZ since 1987 at least, that was the year long cold that wouldn't go away. I've been on just about every med since then and am on a cocktail that includes Fuseon, Truvada, Norvir and Lexiva these days. I medically retired from American Airlines in 1997 and spend my time these days creating art and animations in 3D. I like to go camping in my RV when I can, but finding a travel companion is hard since I don't go to the bars anymore. Yeah, I'm single and barely looking these days. Just too tired to play the games with guys who don't know the meaning of the word monogamy. Ask me about myself and I'll tell ya more.

Offline lipoenvy

« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2007, 11:27:48 am »
Well, here I am - living proof that you don't need a positive attitude to be a long-term survivor of HIV.  I guess HIV has found me to be a congenial host and doesn't want to spoil a good thing.  Or, possibly, life is a dinner table, God is Joan Crawford, and She won't let me leave until I've finished eating all my meat.

I tested positive in 1985, with my best guess for infection date 1982 or very early 1983.  CD4 count slipped below 200 in 1993, qualifying me for an AIDS diagnosis.  Went on disability in 1995.  Working part-time while disabled for the last two years.

Lowest CD4 count was 16.  I flirted with HIV meds until 1996, when we got married, and we've been together ever since, except for a treatment interruption fling in 2005 that gave me SUCH A HEADACHE.  Didn't work out.  The meds took me back without a word of reproach, however.

I have had pneumonia a couple of times, diagnosed once a few days just before a trip to Italy.  I made it to Italy, but I sure noticed all the stairs!  The Vatican is the world's largest Stairmaster!

My body has gotten into a couple of severe disagreements with medications.  Bactrim and I had a big fight during which every muscle in my body decided to contract simultaneously.  My whole body felt like a funny bone that had been hit really hard.  Also this was my first personal experience with appallingly poor emergency room care.  I was somewhat prepared by the appallingly inept care an ex-partner had received several years back.  Don't go to a teaching hospital - they're still learning!

Lipoatrophy set in in earnest after a big disagreement with Crixivan, which decided to give me kidney-stone-like symptoms without a stone ever actually showing up.  I had rapid weight loss and have never really regained it.

This virus has loathsome techniques
For transforming affected physiques:
So much it has cost me,
In three weeks it lost me
Twelve pounds, and all four of my cheeks.

I know twelve pounds doesn't sound like much, but in my case it's a fairly big percentage, and I didn't have any extra to lose.

Tried a course of anabolic steroids to regain the weight - gains were only temporary, and I got to feel like a teenager again.  One side effect - I started growing a right breast!  I had to have a mastectomy!  You haven't lived until you've been a man getting a mammogram at a radiology clinic in Houston.
CLERK:  (calling me up, after I've waited firty-five minutes) Sir, WHAT are you here for?
ME:  (tight whisper)  A mammogram!  Can we put it up in neon?
CLERK:  Well, you're gonna have to fill this form out yourself, 'cause I don't know WHUT to put.
So I fill it out myself.  Am I pregnant?  Not the last time I checked.  Am I on hormone replacement therapy?  Well, I am taking testosterone and nandralone, so I guess yes.
And I'm so skinny that the tiny bit of flesh they manage to get between the glass plates for the mammogram doesn't set off the automatic exposure meter, so they have to EXPERIMENT and run five or six x-rays to get the levels right.  On each side, just for comparison.

More recently, I have developed osteoporosis.  And yet I totter on.  I really want to know if other men on Fosamax find that it gives them ED.  And so began my post-sexual phase.

To all the SFGMC guys who no longer reside on this planet, if you can read the messages in cyberspace, I miss you.

Offline lipoenvy

« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2007, 11:50:49 am »
I do want to change medication because of the Neuropathy,caused in part by Videx (DDI) I may need help in choosing what will be offered to me on the 16th.
...the true cost of what I take.It gives me a different perspective on things.Viramune $312.00 a month,Viread,$515.00 a month and Videx $211.00 a month,in order to keep me alive.

Yes, if you're experiencing neuropathy, Videx is the one to eliminate!  And increase your intake of vitamin B-6.  There are so many medications to choose from now that there's no reason to put up with one that is causing problems.

The prices of the medicines are shocking, aren't they?  My new goal in life is to survive until all the damned patents expire and there are generic versions of everything.

Offline brianbrant

« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2007, 04:01:38 pm »
I didn't think I would be so excited to connect to this forum.  My registration process was fumbled for awhile and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.  I reregistered again and I hunted and pecked trying to log in until my fingertips were...

It's funny about support, and my on-again/off-again need for isolation and privacy one second, and an absolute desperation to make a different kind of human contact the next.  I didn't need this place... until I absolutely couldn't go on without it. 

In 1990 I tested positive at age 43 and was in poor health.  I had been primary caregiver to a close friend who occupied the first floor of the double we shared and every ounce of energy was depleted during the previous two years caring for him.  My relationship with AIDS (through him) was uncomplicated: diarrhea, blindness and a mean temper.  When I was diagnosed a few months after his death my first mission was to buy lots of underwear and toilet paper.  This was after another fumble within a week of getting the bad news: my very own third-rate suicide attempt. 

The Internet, as a general purpose medium, was just beginning to become accessible with the introduction of Marc Andressen's GUI 'Mosaic,' and I hopped on board around 1991.  With the exception of a chat room on AOL, there were very few spots for HIVers to connect.  I ran into a couple of guys on a general health chat site - one from Montana the other from Texas - and we lamented the lack of support and information available for people impacted by the growing world scourge of AIDS.  After a few weeks of these kinds of exchanges, we decided to launch some spots of our own, managing and manning them in shifts.  Not having the advantage of advanced robotic programs, nor the savvy to understand much of what was available, everything we did was essentially 'live,' in that unless we were on-line, our systems didn't exist.  In addition to our chatrooms, any presence of the crude websites we fumbled together using various servers' free space was inconsistent at best.

Our little enterprises became very popular faster than anyone would have guessed.  At that time no one knew how the I'net would explode.  Each month our sites grew by the thousands of percent, statistics we challenged whenever we got them.  Today we take it for granted, but back then it seemed ridiculous.  Through our little network we met people from every country desperate to join one another.  I even got to know the guy who was given a baboon's heart: he typed on a donated PC during his recovery. 

Damn those were some times. 

My most powerful and haunting memory of that era took place on a summer afternoon.  I had been keeping our couple of chat rooms running - no one had shown up for quite awhile and I had a 'fuck this' thing going on in my craw especially because I couldn't even look away from the screen for too long so I could quickly greet people as they entered.  Suddenly the blink of a handle appeared on the empty guest list.  The user identified herself: she was the aunt and only caregiver of a young woman who had been buried just hours before.  No one else entered the chatroom for the rest of the afternoon so she was free to relate the details of her niece's horrible years-long struggle with AIDS.  This woman was broken, empty, exhausted, terrified and utterly without an answer nor even a question.  She just needed.

We spent several hours together.  We wept.  We wept for one another; we wept for our losses and we wept because there was nothing else we could do between keystrokes and the strange language that emerges when you can barely find the letters to form words and thoughts between tears. 

Soon after, I backed off from using the 'Net in any way.  Our local AIDS Service Organization was available, but as I had learned during my I'net years, typical of agencies everywhere.  I won't go into my definition of 'typical' because it agitates me to allow the topic much neural processing, but its value and usefulness in my life has always been frustrating. 

And that's why I'm so happy to be here.  Suddenly nowhere else makes sense.  Sure I have friends.  Even a best, best friend of almost forty years (negative).  And yeah, I'm pretty happy doing my daily stuff - I work out as I have all my adult life so I'm fairly healthy; I'm a journal keeper and I paint - pleasures both.  And nearly two decades have gone by without anything terrible messing up my life. 

But so much time has passed since my early years meeting complete strangers who became wonderful, supportive and genuine friends - connected through copper wire and a glowing CRT, something has been - for want of a better way of expressing it - "calling me."  I don't know why.  I don't know why now.

About to turn 61 within a matter of days and not quite sure of anything beyond the facts of my status, my numbers and my memories, I simply gotta be here.  And knowing how completely incompetent I've become at the simple task of username and password entry, I may never find my way back onto this forum.  So this may be the only chance I get to express my gratitude that this place exists at all, that I've found it and am typing away happily for the first time in so many years.  I'm finding the keys, typing the words, seeing through the...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 10:32:52 am by brianbrant »

Offline achim-martin

Introduce yourself
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2008, 09:34:48 am »
Hi everybody,
my name is Gilbert, am the lifetimepartner of my lover. Since he's not so well with the english language and we're germans I decided to just write for him. He's positive but we've gone through it all together anyhow...

Being 33 in 1996 he got the message along with some hep A. His figures were still normal, except for the virus counts of 30.000. Devistation and all that, well the normal reactions. Since he had this hepatitis and there were only those two meds regiments out at that time in Europe we decided not to do anyhting related to HAART. He just took hypericine for a year - some herb that was supposed to be supportive.
Then in 1997, after triple therapy was available and he had recovered from the hep A completely we decided to start HAART therapy. Ever since he's basically on the same meds. Sustiva and combivir. His viral loads dropped within three months below 10 and stayed down there ever since.
From 1999 and 2000 he additionally did some Interleukin II therapy. (4,5 Mio for 5 days), four times during that period. This boosted his CD4 counts to over a thousand, lowered the CD8 counts, and the ratio remains at around 1.35 to 1.4 since that time. Also, he got tested in 2001 not only for viral counts but also for those hidden virus residues in CD4 cells - forgot the name of that test. Well, they tested over a million cells and nothing was found.
Overall, he's always been healthy, no infections, no lipo probs (gosh even his cholesterol is below 170 without doing anyhting specific, I have to take pills but he's just fine...)

So now for more than 10 years he's below detection, hidden viruses have not been found - his entire body system should have changed by now. He or should I say we both were so fortunate to be lucky enough to have no problems with this desease - except for the first two years, with all that fear and short life expectations etc.

This year he's supposed to change to this triple pill, which will be available in summer in Europe.

Our question now is simply:  are there any long term survivors of those interleukin II studies plus/including HAART therpapies that experienced the same?
Perfect figures for 10 years, still taking medicine?  Any guys around that stopped the medicine at some point and after some years still below detection?
We couldn't find new studies with people who stopped, except those patients that stop and start and stop every year or so - which were not successfull as a result.

Offline bear60

« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2008, 12:02:39 pm »
Hello
I just wanted to say Hi and say that your story is quite wonderful.. You both have gone through a lot.  I hope you will find some support here.  Tell us about yourself, too.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2008, 01:01:38 pm »
Hi Achim, I don't have any experience with the Interleukin, but I just wanted to welcome you both to the forums.  Please keep in touch with us! :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline achim-martin

Introduce yourself
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2008, 03:05:07 pm »
Thanx guys, we appreciate your warm welcome!
Yes, there were troubled times, but needless to say we're humble
enough to keep it down when learning more about so many others
that may not have been so fortunate. It's a miracle to me that so
many people have survived and doing rather fine now.

Regarding that IL II, I can just strongly recommend it to give it a try
and even if no government insurance pays for it, its the best investment
one can do for the future. In France and some other countries they
even accept it as an official HIV treatment.  And now it would be interesting
to find out about long term users. Just like with some of those other threads
here where they were wondering whatever happened to those herbs
that seemed to work so well.  Hope we can exchange some more in the
future.

About our life I can only say that we live in the Canaries / Spain and have
an internet business. More I cannot tell, cause some people would recognize
us and that would not be so recommandable..., sorry.

If someone wants to contact us directly you may freely do to:  928773446@telefonica.net

Offline hottop101

« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2008, 03:03:01 pm »
Hi all !

Richard here.  I am 54 years old, 55 next month!

Was diagnosed in1985, long-term non-progressor until 1996 when PCP wreaked havoc with me.

Started on meds in 1996, cd4 40, VL as I recall over 500,000.

Since 2000, my cd4 has stabilized in the 180 to 300 range, and my VL undetectable to 50,000.

I worked in healthcare as a Respiratory Care Practitioner until 1996, when my doctor advised I should "retire".

I have been on SSDI and private LT Disability since 1997.  I was a fortunate one, getting my SS approval

3 months after my FIRST attempt. 

I have a partner of 22 years!  Also POZ, and a wonderful man.  Having someone to share this journey with,

who not only loves you but understands the ups and DOWNS, is a blessing!

We have homes in Delaware and Florida (St Petersburg)...I try to spend most of the winter in Florida (surprise!).

My major problem at this point of the journey, is that every time I have to change meds, I go through long lasting

side effects, and my meds for depression usually get a dose bump <G>.

Just joined the community, wish I had earlier!!

Best to all....
Richard

PS.  Have 4 dogs!  My children!

TAKES A LICKIN, BUT STILL KICKIN!  :-)

Offline achim-martin

« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2008, 03:25:30 pm »
Welcome buddy!
You'll soon find out, here are people of all sorts and at all stages of the illness. Hope you'll find something positive and even helpful for you guys! Good luck and a sunny weekend... :)

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2008, 10:42:25 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I have been taking meds since 94.  I made the mistake of asking for status but not for proof and then not having him wear a condom.  Since joining this site I have realized I have blocked out a lot of what happened at that time in my life.  I did not start dating until senior year in high school and I am an only child so to say I was sheltered and niave is an understatement.  My parents had divorced by the time I met this guy and my father didn't want to "complicate" things so he stopped talking to me too.  The relationship I was in was based on lies on his part and when they started coming out is when he started with the abuse.  My father had only raised his voice once when I was growing up, so when someone I trusted started raising his hands and his voice to me, I didn't have a clue what to do, didn't know who to tell so I just pretended everything was alright.  I focused and excelled at my job and in the meantime he went to jail for 4 years.  I stayed with him for fear of him telling my job and my mother of my status.  He had gotten tested in jail and I thought that was when he first found out but I found out later that he had known before I met him.  He promised me he was getting help in jail, anger management, AA, NA, whatever they offered and we were going to get through this together.  I made the mistake of telling him the one thing I regretted was that I couldn't have kids so he slipped off the condom when he was on pre-release.  I still can't believe the shit I used do for this asshole.  But anyway....I got involved in a Womens and transmission program and was closely monitored during and after pregnancy.(He's negative)  He got paroled before the baby was born and went back in when he was a month or two.  I had forgotten this but....In high school I had become friends with my first bf, brothers girlfriend.  Got it?  Well, she had her baby boy around the same time I had mine.  I went over to visit and still had a bruise on my face from the telephone he hit me in the head with.  Her husband is a cop.  This pissed him off.  He called his buddies at the jail.  They found out that he was positive.  The next day, I get the call.    You know he is positive, right?  You know he had girl after girl coming up to visit, right.  Yes, no.  It actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  Because her husband had made some call about his record or something, it automatically calls his parole officer and he came to visit.  He saw my face, I told him what was going on and off to jail he went. When my lease was up, I told my Mom my status and what had happened with the father and moved back in with her.  You'd think I would be done with chapter but no.  I am a certifiable idiot.  He came to me with I need to know my son, I am so sorry I have hurt you, blah, blah.  I tried. He didn't change. One night, I saw fear in my sons eyes and he told me he didn't give a fuck and I went and got a my first restraining order.  After while I got smart and realized it didn't matter that he owed me over $25,000, that everything in the apartment was mine, nothing was ever going to change. I had my son, my health, my job, that was all I needed.   I rented a car for him to go to the beach one day and when he got back my son and I were gone.  I struggle now because I have to see him every other weekend but I try real hard for my son to make everything look halfway normal.  Unfortunately, his father has already shown him what type of person he is so it is only a matter of time before the questions start coming.
After moving out, I moved back with my mother, kept working and eventually bought a condo for my son and I.   The company I was working for ended up closing in 01 or 02 and at the sametime I was going to court with my sons father regarding custody.  That is when I got the aids diagnosis. 
 I met my fiance on-line in 99.  Things were off and on with him until I bought this house in 04.  We had boy-girl-boy trip  lets in 03.  They were premature at 25 wks but negative.  They stayed in the NICU for 6 weeks and did really well. 
I couldn't tell you what meds I have taken before. I had the Videx chewables those were absolutely disgusting.  I am on Truvada, Norvir, and Reyataz now, once a day, YEEHAH!!  I am undetectable now.  All my kids were on AZT and didn't have any problems.  I got on disability in 03.  I recently started volunteering.  I have a appt on Monday for a case manager,  I have a deep need to talk to someone so I am hoping they can hook me up.  I am usually a very upbeat and happy go lucky person but I have been miserable lately.  My sense of humor has definately been working overtime to keep me out of a funk.  I am so glad to have found this site!  Thanks to everyone for all the great info, the straight forwardness, the humor!
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline kerryglenalley

« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2008, 01:29:56 pm »
 Hi Friends,
         My name is Kerry and I live in Van Buren, Arkansas.   I found out I was positive 4 years ago and have only met 2 other people who are positive.   Although I'm in very good health according to my labs I had a pulmonary embolism this past summer which I am fortunate to have lived through;  I suffer from peripheral neurapathy as a result of my seizure.   Has anybody else had a similar experience with PN?   Have you had any successful treatments? 
   I wish I had someone who could quell my fears concerning AIDS/HIV.

Sincerely,
kerry

Offline asaint

« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2008, 03:05:04 pm »
   I wish I had someone who could quell my fears concerning AIDS/HIV.

I'm no expert but what I can tell you is this
I'm POZ since 1984 and still sucking air.
You too can and will live as long or longer as I. just keep a eye out for things that don't feel right a see a doctor often.
its really no big deal, I see people I know who aren't HIV+ and are sicker then I am. Its all about how you take care of yourself.
Hope this helps a little

Bob
6/11 VL <50   CD4 (9%)   CD8 (54%}

Offline g-man61265

« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »
[i think you sound terriffic! i'm also 48, and have been poz now for 9 years. i live in moline,il., and, even though i don't have a partener, i do have a supportive family, and some great and supportive friends. i'm also a clent rep. for the consortia here, and have met many new people. this is my first post, so, i lost my virginity again!

Offline Brizzbe-VI

Re: Introduce yourself I'm Mark S. A 25yr. survivor
« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2008, 09:53:05 am »
Hey Everyone;

My name is Mark S. from Atlanta, GA. and I am a 25 year survivor of HIV/AIDS got the full blown in 2003, I also am the Chairperson of a group called LONG TERM SURVIVORS of GA. plus the added Team Captain for the AIDS Walk Atlanta. Now I know that I have lived so long for a reason, but I can't put my finger on why ? I have many questions about the long term affect of the medications and my body, and most of the Drug Companies that sponsor our group from time to time can't answer the questions. I am always open for any discusion about this matter and I am always open for any email on the subject. I can be reached at either frenchknife@AOL.com or brizzbe_vi@bellsouth.net, I know that there many answers to this question so pleasefeel free to contact me and lets talk.

Mark S.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2008, 06:48:25 pm »
Mark, welcome to the forums.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2008, 08:32:08 am »

Hello Mark. Welcome to the forums.  I know I've missed a few others also, so I'de just like to say hello to those that have introduced themselves in this thread !! It's hard to keep up !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2008, 09:37:27 am »
Hi Mark

Welcome to the Forums !

We're a pretty friendly global group of people here. I'll look forward to reading more posts from you.

Cheers
Paul

Offline pozhealthy

« Reply #145 on: April 15, 2008, 11:46:43 pm »
HI. I have been poz since 1991. Found out while in my second year of Dental school and was essentially forced out of the program.  You may remember a story about a  dentist ( Dr. Acer who infected a patient, Kimberly Bergalis who died)/ Well it was like mass hysteria. I was also working in a hospital at the time and remember wearing decontamination gear to go into peoples rooms. It was just silly. Saw lots of friends and people die and thought I was going to as well. Student loans came due and i just laughed. Then I did not die. Student loans are still due and they started taking my paycheck. So here I am still alive. Paying over $700 per month on about $100000 in loans that i can never pay back. The payment I can make does not even cover the interest--so my loan acutally goes UP every month. I spend about $500 on meds. This leaves me with virtually nothing to live on. Am i bitter? Of course. LOL
But I am alive and working full time plus 20 hours overtime each week and this keeps me busy. I have a young niece and nephew that are keeping me going. Life could be worse.
I live outside Philly--so if you are in the area and would like to hang out, hit me up. I love to cook, movies, museums,camp, just hang out, bike, hike,kayak, stuff like that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2008, 10:18:36 am »
Poz, welcome to the forums.

Just a bit of advice.....if you acquired these student loans before you tested HIV+, they can be forgiven.  I know from personal experience, because I had some before I tested poz and they were all forgiven.  What I had to do was to get forms from the institutions that had the loans and have my doctor fill them out; then they were faxed back to the places who had the loans.  Just a thought.  It would give you at least money to live on. ;)

Offline MarcoPoz

« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2008, 01:33:33 pm »
Diagnosed in 1991 in the military.  Thought I was dying and going to have everyone I love--leave me.  Had the same drama/blah-blah that some others have gone through.

Now--I've been married since 1992, my wife is STILL HIV negative.  We both work in HIV.  For the most part I'm in a passionate love affair with life.

Could be I'm an optimist--could be that I'm totally buzzed from my Cracker-Jack snack I just ate.  MMMM s u g a r.

-Peace

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2008, 01:59:42 pm »
Marco,

Welcome to the forums.  Glad that you found us and I hope we can offer support.
   Luv,
Betty

Offline Bob Mac

« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2008, 09:41:54 am »
Hi everyone.  My name is Bob.  I tested positive in 1990.  I've been on lots of meds, had lots of things happen.  I've been reading these posts and am very impressed with the information, admissions and similarities of situations given here.  I plan on continuing to read and speak here as often as i can.  My t-cells landed at 10 for a year and a half back in 95.  I'd been on AZT for 5 years at that point.  I continued taking AZT for a LONG time.  I've had several drug changes, some because I didn't like the side effects, others because they didn't seem to work.  I advanced to AIDS in 1995 after having a cyst erupt between the lobes of my brain (not HIV related) for which I ended up comatose and rushed into surgery.  I lost 35 pounds, had some other relative (HIV) stuff so was put into a clinic and on trial stuff (I don't remember what it was).  In 97 I was diagnosed with lung cancer.  Yep, I had to give up smoking!  One vice I still miss!  But, I've been living with one lung for almost 11 years now, and my pulmonologist thinks I'm some sort of miracle.  When he first diagnosed me, he told me that having AIDS, no insurance, he'd have difficulty convincing a doc that I was worth the effort.  The thought was that they couldn't tell me that I could live for 10 years with AIDS, nor could they tell me that I could survive with one lung, and then the combination, well!  Needless to say, we found one.  I survived and my pulmonologist (after 5 years - cured) released me with a huge smile and disbelief.  Since then, I've had two hospitalizations, one for a bacteria in my kidney, and one for cepsis (sepsis? - sp?) some kind of blood infection and diagnosed as diabetic.  I'm thankfully able to control the diabetes still, with my diet (yeah, the only pleasure in life, and i have to watch it?!LOL) so knowingly I do take glyburide when my numbers are too high for too long!  Other than those things, I have to admit, my life too, is filled with volunteer work that I really enjoy!  I don't do much other.  I am working on my social calendar.  I'm trying to find and fill it with things that I like.  Being busy certainly helps the blues.  I'm sure many of us (HIV +and-)  know that state!  Oh yeah, depression got to me so bad, I've even had ECT!  Electro Convulsive Therapy.  They induce an epileptic seizure, controlled.  This stimulates a part of the brain that they think is responsible for depression.  I've had 15 or 16 treatments.  I'm not planning another for awhile.  I hope I can maintain my current (o.k. and progressing) situation.  I think that's enough for now.  I hope I'm posting this correctly.  See you in the forums!  Bob

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.