Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 387
Total: 387

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Im terrified... NEED HELP.  (Read 51570 times)

Offline scared2b

Im terrified... NEED HELP.
« on: July 29, 2011, 03:15:49 pm »
I have a huge board exam coming up in exactly one month and I need to study 10-12 hours per day with a clear mind. I went to the doctor for a routine blood work but this time he decided on his own to test for HIV without my written consent which i find odd. This was the first time I met this doctor and I didn't like him so I canceled my next appointment with him.

He called me on my phone 7 days later and said "your results are back and you are reactive to HIV 1/2 and confirmed that you have HIV".    

(7/26/11) never forget that date, where I was and the moment frozen in time forever might just freeze my life...

I just remembered slapping myself in the head and being frozen and shocked. He kept on talking and I have no idea what he said. I called him back in an hour and he didn't want to take my call... I couldn't study and I decided to find a local hiv testing centers and go there. They were very supportive and he tested me and said I am preliminary positive and will confirm it by tuesday... So I'm waiting... I also made an appointment in california at University of California UCI for ID doctor on tuesday so in case i am indeed positive then I can get this shit started with. omg... im so scared...

my lymph nodes are swollen but nontender and I have no other symptoms. I was gaining weight because of studying but now i'm losing because I'm depressed, anxious and can't eat!! I was such a healthy and active person... now i just want to die but just not from HIV. .

I'm terrified... I'm scared... I can't study... If I failed my exam I'm done with life... I feel so bad for my family... i let them down... i really let them down... I'm so focused on my studies that I never even went out to party or drink or anything... all it takes is one infected person to not know about their status and for my idiot behaviour to give in on  allowing sex without condoms. oh how i wish i could turn back time...

I come on here to find some relief but I can't be on here... i need to be studying... I wish that I didn't know until after my exam but then again knowing earlier is better...

I'm 29 and I never thought this would be my fate... what happens to romance... what happens to my future... will I be able to be a doctor even if I do well on my exams...??? am i allowed to be a doctor??

I'm Canadian but right now im in the US and have insurance in the US through Blue Cross. Am I covered for meds like Atripla? Are they going to increase my premium because of this now? please help me... let me know...

I just wish I could talk to someone... I can't tell anyone!!!  :'( :'(
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:24:03 pm by scared2b »

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
Re: Im terrified...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 04:28:24 pm »
Hi scared2b, nothing you are feeling or talking about is anything unusual for someone who has just tested positive.

First thing, you need to wait for your Western blot test result. You can only be sure that you are positive once you get those results.

In the event you do get a confirmatory positive test result, I can assure you that while it can get challenging in the beginning, despite all of your fears and concerns, your life is going to go on and life will still be good. :)

I am 28 years old and was diagnosed 6 months ago. I understand how big a shock this is but please take a deep breath and relax and take each step slowly. It does take time to adjust to this news but like many many others you will.

Hang in there and welcome to the forums- the support here is great and people will answer any questions/concerns you may have.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline scared2b

Re: Im terrified... NEED HELP.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:23:11 pm »
thanks for ur kind words...

I just want to be able to talk to someone who is positive. i just want to talk to someone... i'm feeling trapped in my own body. I dont know what to do...

im really really lost... and feeling alone.

Offline scared2b

Re: Have Questions...
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:11:30 pm »
I'm feeling exhausted from being sad...  I read a lot of the comments on this site and then read some news online regarding hiv advances and now i'm just don't even know what to think anymore... going back to study and doing practice questions for my medical licensing exam is so difficult as every hiv related question comes up and i respond, i get a chill down my spine... that patient could be me...

Monday I'm going to an ID doctor for the first time after my test came positive. On tuesday my confirmatory test will come as well. so these are some difficult days of my life right now... days that you all have been through...

Can you guys please help me answer these questions....

1. I recently as a couple of months ago bought insurance with Blue Cross PPO. Now that I may need drugs and more treatment will my insurance premium increase?

2. I assume that Atripla is covered by insurance but how much is the copay?

3. Does anyone know anything about insurance companies and if they will send any letters to home talking about these drugs and hiv and anything like that. because if my family opens the letter and find out they will be devastated. I dont want them to find out. WHAT CAN I DO??

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:43:47 pm »
I know its difficult, but try not to look things up on the internet/google concerning HIV, you will get a lot of uninformed information.  Stick to websites like this one for you're information and also your doctor of course.

As far as Atripla its covered by my insurance and my co-pay is 50.00 for a 3 month supply and that is covered by the Atripla prescription card, so it doesn't cost me anything.  Honestly it depends on the type of insurance plan you have.

Are you on you're parents insurance? I really don't know how that works but when i go to the doctor my insurance company sends me an email of test that were run and the costs etc and what they paid.  I don't have anyone on my insurance but me so not certain how that works with family plans.

in the meantime, please try and relax as much as you can, there isn't much you can do about it at this point.  I promise it will get better even-though you don't think it will at the moment.  There is a lot of support on here and local services that also offer counseling if you need.

If you do find out you are positive, please shop around for a doctor that you are comfortable with and can be open with as far as communication. 

you will be fine!!   now get back to the books!!  lol

mike
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 02:04:50 am »
You seem to be in a panic mode right now, which by the way, is perfectly normal and understandable. (I was exactly in your shoes 6 months ago).

Please try and relax and realise that YOU WILL BE OK.

I don't live in the US, but just wanted to add that you should chill a bit on the questions you have regarding medication/insurance. In time, everything will unfold and become clear :). And since you're a medical student, you probably already know that you could go without treatment for a long time- especially since, from what you say, yours appears to be a recent infection (?).

Hang in there !!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 02:30:01 am by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 03:40:38 am »
No one can tell you whether or not your insurance will or will not cover Atripla and what your out of pocket costs will be.  All policy's are different an have different levels of coverage.  You will have to check your specific coverage.

If you are on someone elses policy (your parents, spouse, partner) then that person who is primary on the policy will receive information about your care.  My partner is on my policy and I receive an "explanation of benefits" that lists every test,lab test, doctor, procedure received and what coverage the insurance pays for both me and my partner.

Your HIV status shouldnt affect becoming a physician.  There are other HIV positive physicians. 

The previous poster is correct, you seem to be in panic mode.  Try and relax, its not the end of the world.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline dewrites

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 04:47:18 am »

You need to take one step at a time

Try exercising, play your favorite computer games to take your mind off.

It really helps if you can talk to a close friend /sibling.

Start prioritize by taking notes on what you like to do or find out on a piece of paper or laptop;
- If it is more important to attend to your study /exam
- Look for a reliable ID doctor (I suggest you source a doctor with at least few years of experience)
- Fine out your insurance plan /coverage
- Write down your questions for your ID doctor so you wont miss out on any of them during your appointment
- try to cut down and eventually quit drinking or smoking if you do
- So on and so fore

Last but not least, you have the doctor who went ahead with the test without your consent to thank for.

Look at the bright side scared2b and cheer up OK? :)

dewrites
Sept 11 CD 1043 UD TSH 0.4 Lamivudine/ Tenofovir/ Atazanavir/ Ritonavir
Jan 11 CD 800+ UD Lamivudine/ Tenofovir/ Atazanavir/ Ritonavir
July 10 CD 453 VL <40 Lamivudine/ Tenofovir/ Atazanavir/ Ritonavir
Oct 09 Switch of ID Doctor. Started Lamivudine/ Tenofovir/ Atazanavir/ Ritonavir
Aug 09 Stop medication due to Swollen eyes, face and adverse photosensitive skin to UV.
Sept 08 Started Lamivudine/ Tenofovir/ Efavirenz/ Keletra & Pentamidine Puff
May 08 Warded for Adverse Skin Rash over my body due to Bactrim & Prednisolone
Apr 08 CD 47 Diagnosed with HIV
Apr 08 Down with PCP. (Found out it was adverse Oral Trust infection in 2003 and not Tonsillitis!) Started Bactrim & Prednisolone
July 03 Bad infection of mouth Ulcers(removal of Tonsils) Was in great pain! E.N.T diagnosed as Tonsil

Offline carousel

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 05:34:17 am »
I was half way through my Masters degree when I was diagnosed seven and half years ago.

My biggest regret is that I was not able to pull it back together and continue to study.  I had to drop off the course.

In that time I have been ill a few times, but only minor things and probably no more than I was before.  Certainly nothing life threatening.

It might seem that things have fallen apart, but my advice would be to concentrate on your studies.  Do as much work as you can, taking regular breaks. 

Offline scared2b

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 09:19:30 am »
all your advices are awesome. thanks you guys.

last night I was so brave. i was able to not think about it and put on a brave face and go out to dinner with family. came home and slept like a baby. during the night had nightmares and I just woke up at 5am and it hit me in the stomach that shit what the reality is.

I have no time to spare and I have to study that is one of biggest fears right now. I don't want to fail my exam. that is why I wish that I didn't know until after this exam.

The insurance is under my name only. But I didn't know if they will send any information to my address regarding my care in case someone opens the envelope. I wanted to know if there was a way of going paperless or something like that. but I guess I have to call them and find out if I can do something about that. Or I should just change my address at the post office to bring my mail somewhere else. the thought of my family finding out about this is terrifying. I do not want to bring more tears to them.

I'm  scared but you guys are awesome. please don't leave me alone...

Offline Cojo

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 09:44:22 am »
Hey scared2b,

You are exactly where I was two months ago. When I tested positive in May, I did not see it coming and lived on adrenalin and panic for the first month. The folks on here said "it gets better", and it DOES! I know it seems completely overwhelming now, but soon as panic changes to clear thinking, you will realize that all will be well. Medicine has really kicked this virus on its butt. Look at the labs that people post; the changes are dramatic in crushing out the viral load to undetectable and thus, the CD4 rises. Most folks on here have a "normal" immune system.
I have found that meeting two positive mentors has been really helpful. One guy has lived with HIV for 12 years - he has never been sick, always been on the same meds with no side effects and is undetectable. The other guy has been poz for 28 (yes 28) years and is living a fantastic life, fully alive and fully healthy. He has changed meds a few times, but that was in the early days.
I had to make a rule for myself about surfing the web. First, only one hour a day. Second, just this site, TheBody, HIVINSITE and poziam. My therapist provided the good insight that obsessive surfing the web is like a drug, it numbs us and makes us believe that we are doing something to help when we feel helpless.
Good for you for going out for dinner. I know how tough that can be. You feel like a foreigner in your own body, like you are no longer you...but you are, 100% you and all the goodness that you always were/are. I felt like people were looking at me and could see HIV written all over me; of course they can't and its all in my head.
For me, the mornings were the worst...they still can be a struggle. I found that when i was asleep, I could escape it all and then within minutes of waking it would all rush in like a tidal wave and I would panic with a million what if questions. My only advice would be to try to get up and moving asap and label whats going on as what it is - its just anxiety, and anxiety can't harm you.
You mention you are in Canada. I am in Toronto and feel free to PM me if you are here as well and I can share some local resources.
In the meantime, BREATHE, remember that millions have journeyed this road before us and live healthy and happy, full lives and that modern medicine has done literally, miracles.
May 2011 - Tested Positive
June 2011 - CD4 330   16%   VL182,000 no resistance
Oct 6, 2011 - CD4 300  20%  VL 60,000
Oct 7, 2011 - start Truvada / Isentress
Nov 29, 2011 CD4 280 26% VL 54
Feb 7 2012 CD4 260 25% UD!
Mar 20 2012 CD4 400 28%
June 2012 CD4 330 26% UD
Sept 2012 CD4 450 32% UD
Dec 2012 CD4 310 28% UD
May 2013 CD4 500 32% UD
Oct 2013 CD4 460 33% UD
May 2014 CD4 360 33% UD
Aug 2014 swap out Isentress for Tivicay
Oct 2014 CD4 320 33% UD
Feb 2015 CD4 420 30% UD
Jul 2015 CD4 480 32% VL51 !!
Sep 2015 UD
Feb 2016 CD4 460 35% UD
Aug 2016 CD4 378 33% UD

Offline scared2b

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 10:40:03 am »
I feel EXACTLY what you have described. i mean word by word. i feel that I'm beginning to accept it even though it is so unfair but you are right mornings are THE WORST. As it becomes bed time I am joyful to go to bed and hope that whatever was happening was just a bad dream but in the morning I know I have to face this for the rest of the day... for the rest of my life...

I am from Toronto but right now I came to the US for a month to study for my exam. I'll be back Sept 1. 

The only good thing is that I bought insurance in the US because I got back and forth a lot. and so I'm going to see an ID doctor on Monday and a counselor on tuesday.

Can you explain to me how it works in Toronto? With respect to meds and all? are you on your own to pay for your meds? I'm scared.

Offline Cojo

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 10:50:35 am »
I am so glad we connected! My first thought is that you don't need to give meds a second thought now; if you are back in Toronto Sept 1, you have TONS of time on your side. First labs were CD4 330 VL 182,000 and my Dr does not want to even see me till the fall for next labs.
In Ontario, your drugs, at worst case scenario are fully paid for by the Trillium fund - God bless socialized medicine!! (To my USA friends, that's not a cheap shot lol). If you have private insurance, it gets billed first, if not, you are 100% covered...so relax on that one.
When you get back here, I can connect you with awesome folks at ACT (AIDS Committee of Toronto) who are the most inspiring, pleasant and helpful folks I have met.
Hang in there my friend, all shall be well (at least better for now)
May 2011 - Tested Positive
June 2011 - CD4 330   16%   VL182,000 no resistance
Oct 6, 2011 - CD4 300  20%  VL 60,000
Oct 7, 2011 - start Truvada / Isentress
Nov 29, 2011 CD4 280 26% VL 54
Feb 7 2012 CD4 260 25% UD!
Mar 20 2012 CD4 400 28%
June 2012 CD4 330 26% UD
Sept 2012 CD4 450 32% UD
Dec 2012 CD4 310 28% UD
May 2013 CD4 500 32% UD
Oct 2013 CD4 460 33% UD
May 2014 CD4 360 33% UD
Aug 2014 swap out Isentress for Tivicay
Oct 2014 CD4 320 33% UD
Feb 2015 CD4 420 30% UD
Jul 2015 CD4 480 32% VL51 !!
Sep 2015 UD
Feb 2016 CD4 460 35% UD
Aug 2016 CD4 378 33% UD

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 01:36:27 pm »
I don't understand why you're already thinking about insurances policies and co., as you (don't seem) to have your CD4 count yet, and probably don't even need to think about treatment already. One thing tho: if the insurance company you subscribed to only have one of your address, then you will receive everything they need to send you to that same address. If it's your parent's address, well these things are private with your name on it, and I don't see why someone else would want to open such letters. It's not like they will send you ARVs publicity anyway, right?

You need to both calm yourself, base your status on reliable information (such as found on this website, or from a valuable doctor), and focus on other things as you would have been doing anyway (which seems to be studying, at this time of the year). Because, really, this news, tho it is shaking, shouldn't affect your life's plan at all. It will be better for you to put your energy into what you were already doing before learning your status. It will be fine, you're not terminally ill or anything, and the stress will fade soon. Hang on. =)

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 02:08:09 pm »
breath and relax. Slowly but surely you'll manage it all.

-Get your WB test result.
-Meet your ID doc and get you CD4 and VL tests done
-Study and concentrate on your exam
-You can always leave the worrying for another day. In any case worrying is the most 'useless' emotion. (i know it is easier said, I'm a chronic worrier by birth- but I say this from experience  ;))
-Try and do things that you enjoy to take your mind of it- at least in the very short term you have your studies to keep you busy.

Hang in there.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 02:20:29 pm »
Hi Scared, welcome to the forums.

doing practice questions for my medical licensing exam is so difficult as every hiv related question comes up and i respond, i get a chill down my spine... that patient could be me...

Well, with ANY health-related question (aside from those that pertain only to the opposite biological sex), that patient could be you. We never know what's down the road for us regardless of our hiv status.

I'm assuming that you are being asked various questions pertaining to OIs (Opportunistic Infections) and there is no reason for you to believe any of that is going to ever happen to you. Now that you know your hiv status, you can start meds long before any of that would be a problem. So relax!

As others have said, it does get better. You may not believe us right now, but it really does.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 02:46:13 pm »
I have a huge board exam coming up in exactly one month and I need to study 10-12 hours per day with a clear mind.

Well it sucks getting diagnosed thats for sure.  And its never a good time but as you put the timing right at the top of the post, let's look at the options, in a second.

First, you have been totally confirmed HIV+?  Make sure you get an ID appt and get confirmed its not clear what you reported from that phone conversation.

OK assuming you are HIV+.

Its a completely manageable disease.  Everything will be worked out medically and expense wise, in due time.   You arent dying now. You are not going to die. You have normal life span to look forward to.  If you could see a good ID in the next week or two, he/she would tell you this.  

You can survey some other members here and you should get the same info.

So if that is enough assurance for you, for the moment, then its time to study for that board exam.  You'll need whatever certificate or credential you are getting because you'll need your career and life goes on, baby.   Do you think you can concentrate to study, therefore??  

HIV all takes time to work out.  The meds. The expense. The shock of the diagnosis. Dating, love.  ALL THAT takes time time time time and actually you have something more pressing to do....  

We are assuming you dont want to postpone or cancel the exam.  Or cannot...

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline scared2b

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 03:22:54 pm »
I was already really stressed out for my exam and now this doctor called and gave me this news 7 days ago and it just wasn't necessary. I was about to get tested afterwards anyway. you know... unfortunately i cant move the exam because I start my in hospital training right after for my final year before being a damn doctor that I dont even care to be anymore...

The amazing thing is that just after a week I'm already beginning to be able to breath for longer than 10 minutes. I was a wreck to say the least. but then it hits me again... wtf... i was just getting fully comfortable about being gay and imagining a life in the future... and now another layer to deal with... omg...

I haven't done anything other than waiting for my appointment to see if i'm actually poz. i only had one test which the doctor told me on the phone and then i went to this free hiv clinic and asked this sweet guy and he tested me preliminary positive but on tuesday we'll meet for a confirmation of it... hope hope hope....

then i have to get my cd4 and vL counts and so on... even if I found my numbers today I wouldn't be able to go on the meds before my exam anyway. I can't deal with any side effects or changes before that so I guess I have to wait.. .wait... wait...

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 03:38:04 pm »
I start my in hospital training right after for my final year before being a damn doctor that I dont even care to be anymore...

You have ALL THE MORE REASON to be a doctor, and I think you will realise that soon enough.

A poz diagnosis sucks- no denying that. But like I said, millions have gone through this and you will too. If it’s even of the mildest comfort for you to know- I too am gay and was diagnosed just poz just 6 months ago at the age of 28. My family didn’t even know that I was gay!  And my story and yours, is all fairly common on this site.

From what you describe I was in a far worse state than you in those initial days.

Believe me, you will look back and feel proud of yourself for getting through this period!

Right now, please calm down and wait for your WB results.

It gets better.

Offline scared2b

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 03:52:55 pm »
i love u guys... u don't even know me and you all care enough to say things to calm me down.. that is incredible... <3

I'm 29 and no matter how good looking i am and how many guys wanted to be with me but now i dont think anyone wants to even look at me... there is this constant voice in my head that says "HIV..." like all the time...

deep breaths are soothing.... sigh...

lets keep on talking to each other... plz don't leave me...

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 04:52:39 pm »
I feel uneasy, because you didn't have a confirmation test yet, right?

You have had some results by some doctor you don't like, and over the phone. I didn't know doctors would give out results like this over the phone, but maybe it's different in the States/California?

So maybe you should really just focus on your exam now and wait for your confirmation test?

Offline scared2b

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 05:23:02 pm »
Yea doctors shouldn't do that on the phone but the thing is that because I didn't like him, I canceled my follow up apt with him. So he called me 7 days later and told me over the phone :S

I was scared so I went to a local free HIV testing clinic and did a rapid test which came up preliminary positive. The guy told me that he will send in another oral sample for a confirmatory test. I'm waiting for that result right now...

My concentration has come back somewhat and it seems that I'm better able to study but it is a cloud over my head right now won't let me focus as well as I should.

You guys are helping me out A LOT. thank you for being so supportive... My nature has always been to think far ahead and to plan things out but now I decided no to think that far ahead and focus on what is rather than what could be... IT IS SO HARD though... without you guys it would be impossible...

Offline buginme2

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 06:21:58 am »
Scared, its great that your getting support from this forum but some of your positing are well.... Kind of concerning.  Don't take this the wrong way but have you sought out some counselling to talk about this?  Become HIV positive is pretty major and talking with someone in person is (in my opinion)needed. 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 06:47:54 am »
I agree with Bug. Don't hesitate in ringing the Aids Service helpline and speaking to a counsellor or someone. It will definitely help you make sense of things.

And no one here is going anywhere.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:57:17 am by spacebarsux »

Offline scared2b

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 09:11:37 am »
hey guys.

i did call a helpline a week ago. she was really nice. i cried on the phone. i have an appt for tuesday to find out my confirmatory results and at the same time i am meeting with a case manager or whatever...

I'm telling you, the worst is the mornings when I wake up and the reality hits me... i was usually a morning person. I loved getting up early and start studying but now i go back and hide in my blankets...

i just woke up and i'm scared already... this is A LOT to take in... I'm still shocked every morning... does this go away?

I have to somehow shut down my brain within the next few minutes to be able to get back and study...

Offline Maelrod

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 09:44:12 am »
Sorry to hear what you happen.  But maybe help to know that all of us been inthe same position. Something quick a year ago happen to me too and any time I open my eyes was wishing to wake up of that nightmare but just the days and months and years make you to asimilate the poz status nothing else... I'm doing great now trying my best and if we did you can done well. 
Is better STOp living in the past, the I SHOULDn't doesn't exist.

Offline scared2b

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 10:12:29 am »
hey guys, i was just studying but then i panicked again... suddenly it hits me in the stomach... wtf...

the worst is that I feel like i'm trapped in my body...

thank you all for being around. for sticking around... Writing here makes it somewhat better... at least I can go back and read a few pages before I panic again and have to come running for a hug.

xoxo

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 12:29:09 pm »
scared -
when one is either first diagnosed or waiting for the confirmation results, a host of emotions are  bound to occur.

As others have pointed out, things do get better -

For me, I try to view my experiences as "learning experiences" and turn the negative experiences  into positive ones by trying to see how I will be able to use them in a positive way in the future.  Many of the emotions you are feeling will hellp you to be a better doctor in the future --- in addition to having your medical schooling, these experiences will help you to better relate to many of the feelings, thoughts and emotions your future patients are going through --- which is something that medical school can't really teach you.  So, when you start to feel overwhelmed by the emotions, maybe think of them as a mechanism that is going to help you to be an even better medical professional --- this may help in "capping" them somewhat and frame them in a more positive reference rather than having them only exist in an adverse way....

Believe me when I say that many of us have been exactly where you are ---- but, your posts on here give me a strong confidence that you will be alright and will overcome the fear.  Then, you will also be able to relate to and assist other members down the line when they go through the same thing either being newly diagnosed or waiting for confirmation of a their initial results.

I look forward to hearing more from you.  Keep on keepin' on -- it does get better.

-Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 01:17:35 pm »
scared, this is part of a post you made in someone else's thread. I didn't want to hijack their thread, so I'm posting it here...

I'm scared of my tears when I cry! i dont want my tears or anything else get my family sick too

I'm amazed that a fourth-year med student would think that tears are an infectious fluid. They are NOT! Neither are other fluids like urine, saliva and sweat. It sounds like you need to read the Transmission Lesson found elsewhere on this website. You're working yourself up into a frenzy for no good reason.

Unless you're having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with your family members (or anyone else, for that matter) you are not going to infect anyone.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scared2b

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2011, 02:03:20 pm »
Ann i know all of that... what i'm saying is that I "Feel" that way...  I wish I could change my perception about myself but it may take time... I'm even think if they use my pen its dangerous thats how ridiculous I feel right now. I feel dirty that's why  :'(

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2011, 02:43:24 pm »
. I feel dirty that's why  :'(

You are not dirty. You just have an infection. You'll be ok my friend.

Edited to add:- We really do understand how difficult this is for you and while it is only natural for you to be bursting with feeling and emotion at the moment, the tone of some of your posts suggest you're driving yourself into a frenzy (which is not warranted). Is there someone you could talk to ?? Can you ring a HIV 24 hour helpline and just talk. It will definitely help you simmer down. :).

Believe us, it does get better. Everything will makes sense once the fog lifts.

PS- You are the same guy you, so you will always be good looking.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:29:20 pm by spacebarsux »

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2011, 03:07:18 pm »
What about all of thoese human beings you'll have to work with later on? Will you consider them dirty because they'll be ill while you'll be working with them as a doctor with his patients? You need to stop this and seek help in the real world, if you're feeling that terrible about what is happening to you. And soon, you will be at peace, don't worry. There will be days when you'll not even think about HIV because you'll be too busy doing other things, like any other normal person. :)

Work on your exam if possible, do something else (book? movie? go to the park? do puzzles?...) while waiting for your confirmation test/WB test.

Offline scared2b

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2011, 03:43:44 pm »
hey guys. i did call the help line when i found out on that day otherwise I would have done something i would regret. it was ok she was helpful.

but right now as the day goes on there is this neon sign in front of me that flashes HIV HIV HIV HIV you guys must know what I'm talking about...

I'm scared that no one will want to be with me or even date me despite looks and all...

ok back to studying.. i will be back to read ur advices... u guys calm me down... xoxo

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2011, 03:55:44 pm »
I thought I had HIV stuck on my forehead for many many days. It subsides...give it time.

Right now get back to those meds books.! 

Offline scared2b

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 10:45:01 pm »
hey, miss u guys... i just want to cry... am I allowed?  :'(   it keeps on coming down on its own.... you know life's not a rehearsal, i only get this once to live and i blew it...

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 02:03:02 am »
i only get this once to live and i blew it...
you didn't blow anything. ;) You've still got your life ahead of you; only now you'll have to take meds to keep this disease in check. And by the way, as you age going forward into the future, you'll probably have to take even more pills to keep other diseases and illnesses in check. that's just the way it happens to nearly everyone.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline scared2b

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 10:16:22 am »
mornings are the worst... i struggle to wanting to wake up... i work at it all day but it renews in the morning...

i'm having dreams at night which are all related to this monster inside of me...

i'm still shocked... i wish i could reach inside and get it out...

Offline scared2b

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 01:26:13 pm »
update:   

right now i smiled for the first time... but it lasted a few seconds before i realized again... at least i smiled...
I canceled my ID apt which was for today since tomorrow I'll meet with the hiv clinic guys and i'll know for sure...

i'm hoping for the best and prepared for the worst... there isn't much i can do at this point... u guys have been incredible from the start... i dont know what I would have done without you all...

Thank u.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 01:48:57 pm »
Your smiles will become more frequent.....and there will be a day, not too far away, when you wont even think about the virus....just wait and see.

Offline optimize

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 06:33:22 pm »
Hey Scared2b..  I can relate.  I was just diagnosed 2 months ago.   I'm still in shock because I never have unprotected sex except for this one time (as a top).   It does get better as you learn to accept and to appreciate the fact that we can live a full and healthy life.  I've always been very healthy (physically, mentally, and spiritually) which helps.  Yah it sucks, and there are major challenges but We are lucky that the treatments are so much better these days and getting even better.   Anyway, I'm in my mid 30,  a self employed doctor so I can really relate to you.  What part of Cali are you in ? I"m in socal so if you want to talk anytime, please let me know.  It would probably be good for both of us.   :)

Offline scared2b

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2011, 09:06:25 pm »
just as soon I begin to accept the new reality it then hits me again... and i get shocked... when i look at myself in the mirror i just can't believe that it might be true...

What hurts me the most is that this was so preventable... its like drinking and driving or not wearing a seatbelt...

It's reassuring to hear from you guys. ur all very kind to care enough to post for me...

xoxo

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 10:03:13 am »
Some keys to living well with HIV include
- developing some cool or calm, a distance or a relativity, when fears and emotions about disease are distracting
- reference to science and medicine
- leaning from common experience with HIV to inform and overcome fears in one's individual exp

It sucks that you got HIV but I think some of the intellectual and character traits you will develop to live well will also help you be a good doctor.  For the moment you are far too emotional and irrational and inward looking.

You are young and have a great future ahead of you. Don't forget to count your blessings and breathe!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:04:52 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 10:06:56 am »
For the moment you are far too emotional and irrational and inward looking.

Which is completely normal and expected for any 29 year old waiting for his confirmatory test results!  However, this feeling will pass. :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:11:09 am by spacebarsux »

Offline scared2b

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 10:14:53 am »
hey guys... yea I have an apt in 4 hours... The first thing I do now each morning instead of what I used to do before is to come on here and check what you guys say... and today I woke up at 5 and no one wrote anything and i was nervous and now i'm glad u guys are back again and writing... makes it so much easier...

it has been exactly one week since the phone conversation and it looks like i'm feeling a bit better... today i woke up with my first morning erection which I haven't had any for a week.. but i didn't do anything still... i'm very upset at myself... i'm not blaming anyone else but myself and even though I know it will get better I just wish that I could turn back time...

i have to get some studying done before i go to the clinic because i have no idea how im gonna feel after... I'm scared for my exam too because I have to do well  so whatever happens today happens and i have to wait until after my exam to deal with it... what do u guys think? 

i love u all for being there for me...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 11:27:03 am »
so whatever happens today happens and i have to wait until after my exam to deal with it... what do u guys think? 

You can certainly put hiv on the back-burner until after your exams. You're not going to suddenly get sick or anything like that. Take it one day - or even one hour - at a time. You really ARE going to be ok!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 12:17:41 pm »
what do u guys think? 
Study hard and do well on those exams.

There are plenty of members here who have been not only positive but living with an AIDS diagnosis for 20 to 30 yrs - so I expect you to do the same. Not I'm not trying to minimize the seriousness of having HIV because it's a very serious problem; but as I mentioned before, there are treatments today (and treatments that are thousands of times better than the stuff they used to give us in the early 90s) that practically insure that you'll continue living a "normal" lifespan.

And that means that you're going to need to do well on those exams so you end up with a degree and can get a decent paying job. Try to let go of some of your worrying about the HIV, because you're already being pro-active by getting tested and being in touch with a doctor. Getting the proper healthcare is essential to making sure you survive with HIV.

Good luck on the exams!  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline scared2b

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 07:05:54 pm »
Hey friends...

I just got home from the clinic and i'm confirmed positive.

It is so hard to say this but here I am real in flesh and in real life and i'm positive... One week of denial has past too...

I'm still not sure if I got it through sex or through my 12 weeks in trauma surgery with blood everywhere... I guess at this point it doesn't matter... I will try my very best to become a compassionate doctor...

The irony of it is that this virus was discovered the year I was born and my first ID appointment will be exactly on my birthday to meet it... My excitement was that when I become 30 I will get my M.D. but I got my HIV before my MD.

FML.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 08:04:47 pm »
If you do start meds and there is a co-pay there are co-pay assistance programs from the pharmaceutical companies that cover most co-pays.

You might not have to start meds yet but if you do, they are for the most part very tolerable. You'll be fine.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 10:17:34 am »
Hope you're ok and not letting you mind run a million miles per second.

Do realise with today's meds your life is likely to be just as long...and meds only get better  :).

You have all the more reason to be a good doctor and make a difference.

http://i-base.info/qa/543

Offline scared2b

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 10:28:12 am »
i just wanted to thank all of you angels for being so sweet and supportive for this worst week of my life... I'm surprised at myself and how I was able to pull it off...

some of you have been so supportive and nice and amazing that truly touched my heart... Thank you for caring and being there for me when I needed a kind soul.

When I went to the hiv support center yesterday they were really supportive again... she told me that I even have a lawsuit against the doctor who tested me for hiv without my consent and then told your result over the phone and then didn't want to talk to you when you called him back... And trust me I would like so much to sue him but how and in the mood that I am... He really shouldn't have done those things...

I always test myself annually and donated blood regularly, so this infection has to have been only a few months old and so the lady there called one of the nurses that she knew who works with a great doctor and made an appointment for me and so I'm just waiting for that to happen...to see the doctor and go from there...

tough life ahead... tough... i guess i have to be stronger now...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.