Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:01:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 354
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Penis base peeled skin/ abrasion exposure to vagina lfluid  (Read 16689 times)

Offline Nick78

Penis base peeled skin/ abrasion exposure to vagina lfluid
« on: October 27, 2011, 08:32:52 am »
Dear All,

I had condom protected sex with a commercial sex worker 2 nights back. It was only vaginal intercourse and nothing else.

However, at the base of my penis, I have an area of dry, peeled skin, sort of like an abrasion. This is from my constant scratching of itch at that area. It was not bleeding, but when I rubbed with salt water, there is a very slight sting.

This skin area at the base of my penis was not protected by the condom during the vaginal intercourse.

I understand that condom protected sex is no risk, but what if vaginal fluid came in contact with that irritated skin area? I am also not sure if that part of the penis went into the vagina, or just touching the vagina outer area.

Please help me assess my risk.

Thanks for having this forum so that people may seek advise, learn and share. You All are doing great work here.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Penis base peeled skin/ abrasion exposure to vagina lfluid
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 08:35:55 am »
You are worrying unnecessarily. The important thing is that the head of your penis was covered during intercourse because it is through the urethra (or the underside of the foreskin if not circumsized), that HIV is transmitted during intercourse. HIV is a fraigile virus and if present is not transmitted through the kind of irritation you are concerned about.

There is no need for testing nor for further concern on your part.
Andy Velez

Offline Nick78

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:05:00 pm »
Hi Andy. Thanks for the quick reply. It is just that some other resources are saying that there is still some level of risk if the skin is not fully intact.  I keep on worrying on this, but I'll try to get over it. Thx again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:19:34 pm »
Theoretically anything sexual other than with your own hand is a risk. And we can't account for what other sites are putting out. Unless you had a freshly open gaping wound into which HIV+ blood was pouring freshly -- well that could be a risk. I don't get the sense that is what you are describing.

Just keep going with your life. And always using condoms for intercourse.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Nick78

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 04:53:45 am »
Hi Guys. Back with a new question. I went for a sensual massage today. These are what happened:-

i) She licked my nipples
ii) I rub my penis between her breasts and ejaculated.

But then, later I noticed she had some rash between her breasts area. Looks like red dots. She said it was some allergy to medication.

Anyway, Just to check, if it is HIV rash, would I be at risk? I was not wearing a condom during the act. But there was no penetrative sex or oral sex.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 07:46:29 am »
You never done anything to put yourself at risk even if she was HIV positive.

Offline Nick78

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 08:04:09 am »
I know breasts fuck is no risk. But Just to clarify; penis head with contact to HIV rash (assuming it is) No risk ? 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:08:35 am »
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 08:50:54 am »
OK, I am going to say this just once more. The ONLY confirmed risks for the sexual transmission are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. That's it. As long as condoms are used everytime for those activities you will be effectively protected. It really is that simple.

You need to remember that as you move forward in your life and engage in sexual activities.
Andy Velez

Offline Nick78

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 02:45:15 am »
Hi All. Thanks again for your responses.

I have a question on condom use pertaining to vaginal sex. Is there any HIV risk for the insertive partner when changing another condom midway during intercourse? I am thinking that hand contact with vaginal fluid when removing the 1st condom could get onto the 2nd condom, especially the inside portion of the rubber that covers the penis head. Wouldn't the intercourse act thereafter be rubbing the vaginal fluid into the penis head?

Is this a concern? Thanks again.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 07:26:29 am »
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Offline Nick78

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 07:34:28 am »
We changed to another condom halfway thru sex because the 1st one was getting dry and I was afraid of breakage. I thought this is good practise, but then later my mind wondered about the vaginal fluid contact.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 07:37:52 am »
We changed to another condom halfway thru sex because the 1st one was getting dry and I was afraid of breakage. I thought this is good practise, but then later my mind wondered about the vaginal fluid contact.

Thanks for the reply.
You never had an exposure by changing condoms with vaginal fluids on your hands.

Offline Nick78

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 11:09:07 pm »
Hi All. My recent sex was about 2 weeks back. Protected condom with CSW, but again, still worried about the constant skin abrasion that I have at the bottom of my penis shaft that could have been in contact with vaginal fluid. (similar story to my first post)

I didn't think much of it at first, but I have been having flu with phlegm at my throat for about a week after the sex. then yesterday, at over two weeks since the sex, I have a fever exceeding 38 degrees celcius. there is also throat infection and sore throat. Doctor gave me some antibiotics for the sore throat. The fever is coming down today but it still is there. Mild flu with phlegm also present still.

Should I be worried?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 12:19:45 am »
Worried about the flu? Only if you haven't had a flu shot. Though that won't protect you from colds, and I've managed to get TWO of them within a month (relatives with children, sigh).

Worried about HIV? Nope. The advice we gave earlier still stands.

Continue wearing a condom for penetrative sex and you can prevent HIV.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Nick78

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 04:00:19 am »
Thanks for the reply jkinatl2. My fever has gone down now. It was as high as 38.8 degrees celcius last night. Scared me to death. Now it is down to 37. My throat is better too.

I guess ARS will not come and go away just over a day and a half right?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 04:13:49 am »
You are correct. ARS lasts roughly seven to ten days (each person is different) and REQUIRES AN HIV RISK.

You have not had a risk.

As we say often here, symptoms or the lack thereof are useless in diagnosing HIV.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Nick78

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 05:55:22 pm »
My fever is back at 37.8 celcius. Throat don't feel so good now. I keep telling myself to push away hiv ARS thoughts but I am still worried. Does ars fever come and go like this?   :(

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 05:58:04 pm »
My fever is back at 37.8 celcius. Throat don't feel so good now. I keep telling myself to push away hiv ARS thoughts but I am still worried. Does ars fever come and go like this?   :(
You don't have an HIV concern.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 06:07:53 pm »
Fortunately doubts and fears are not the same as facts. The facts as you have reported them mean no risk for you.

Now I am going to caution you that if you continue to return about this non-risk situation while declaiming about symptoms and insisting or implying they are ARS, you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

HIV is not your problem. Period. If you have a fever, call your doctor.
Andy Velez

Offline Nick78

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 06:08:59 pm »
Hi Teak. I understand your firmness to get the message into our heads. But could you let me know does the fever come and goes?

Offline Nick78

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 06:21:27 pm »
Ok Andy. Understood.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 06:59:14 pm »
And no, the ARS-related does not come, go and return. Ditto with other ARS symptoms. If they occur at all, they come and then they are gone.   
Andy Velez

Offline Nick78

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 04:01:32 am »
I feel terrible now. The fever is still high. Taking the antibiotics but does not seem to help now. Regretting so much. I hope it is ok for me just to post my feelings. I won't ask any questions from the mods. Just need to voice out

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 06:59:48 am »
Nick,

37.8 isn't much of a fever.

If you cannot bring yourself to believe us when we tell you that you have not been at risk for hiv infection, go test, collect your negative result and move on with your life.

And no, this forum is not the appropriate place to wring your hands over this non-event. If you feel the need to vent your feelings over this, find a counsellor.

If the abrasion at the base of your penis worries you so much, show it to a doctor so you can be prescribe a way of healing it. While you're at it, discuss your fever with the doctor. We can't do anything about either here.

In the mean time, stop having sex while the abrasion is there if it causes you so much worry.

Keep using this site to blather on about your NO RISK situation and you WILL be given that time out you've been warned about.

Please consider yourself warned for the LAST time!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.