Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 08:36:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 154
Total: 155

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tsunamis  (Read 4315 times)

Offline JeffInNYC

Tsunamis
« on: July 30, 2006, 07:26:25 pm »
Ive been watching specials on television about all these natural disasters.

A recent topic was tsunamis which can be caused by earthquakes.  In the case of landslides, the potential of the waves height can be something youd never imagine and potentially devastating along all coastlines.

Now, how much danger are we all in?  I live in NYC, would Manhattan Island potentially be under water?  The liklihood of things like this happening are remote at best, but they CAN happen.  It boggles the imagination to think how vulnerable we all really are.

Offline livingpositively

Re: Tsunamis
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 07:37:36 pm »
I would venture a guess that NYC is probably pretty safe from tsunamis.  The Pacific rim is statistically and typically at a much higher liklihood of earthquakes and tsunamis caused by them.

There is absolutely nowhere in the U.S. where you can go and be completely "safe" from natural disasters...west coast you have earthquakes and volcanoes, midwest - tornados, south - hurricanes, northest - mild hurricanes and blizzards.  I'm sure it's a similar situation all around the world.  Just have to pick your poison.

They say that Yellowstone is one GINORMOUS volcano that, were it to explode, would wipe out the entire North American continent.
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline Cliff

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 08:03:58 pm »
NYC would only face a tsunami if there is an earthquake offshore in the area or a powerful quake farther away.  There is little activity in the Atlantic.  There is a risk that a disaster happens to an island off the coast of Africa (I forget the name, but it's one of the canary islands), that will trigger a tsunami that would hit the east coast of the US.  It's a volcanic island where are large portion of the land mass is breaking away (after each eruption).  If it has a major eruption, then potentially part of the island will breaks away in one huge chunk, that would trigger a mega tsunami which would then head towards the eastern coast of the US.  No immediate danger though, as no one knows when the next eruption will be (nor if it the island will break away during that eruption).

The good news is that it would take hours before the tsunami would hit, so presumably a large portion of the east coast could get far enough away from the coast before it hit.  But then again, look at how long it took to evacuate Houston (24-36+ hours).

You're toast.

- Cliff

P.S.- There are fault lines that runs through Manhattan (I think one lies under Harlem and another is in Midtown) and technically NYC does suffer earthquakes, albeit baby ones.  But that doesn't mean a moderate one isn't in the cards at some point.

You're really toast.

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 08:24:56 pm »
way back in the mid-late 80s there was a 4.0 earthquake in upstate New York and yes we felt it all the way down here....it felt/soundedlike a roller coaster was going through the house.  It woke me up!

Offline whizzer

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 08:29:15 pm »
You live in NYC and you're worried about Tsunamis??  

You're far more likely to be killed by a taxicab, or a subway fire, or a really bad theater critic.  

Just sayin'

-Whizzer

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 08:33:07 pm »
You live in NYC and you're worried about Tsunamis??  

You're far more likely to be killed by a taxicab, or a subway fire, or a really bad theater critic.  

Just sayin'

-Whizzer

dont forget terrorist activity.
My point is, we're all probably a lot more vulnerable to our own natural habitat than we realize.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 05:29:18 pm »
It would be far easier to saaaaaaaay catch HIV or something than die in a tsunami.... OH wait... bad analogy.

Andrew<----- Who will be sitting next to Matty at the right hand of the lord..... OF DARKNESS unfortunately.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 05:51:46 pm »
If I were in Manhattan and the Tsunami Warning came, I KNOW how I'd spend the last few hours.....and it wouldnt be shopping, although some of those black shirted hotties at Macys  FCUK and Kennith Cole would be involved...   And we'd all go to The Apple Store and ride it out live on one of those new webcam iMacs....

I'm Just Sayin™...
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 10:06:06 pm »
lwood, you are wild but who Kkkkenny Cole?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.