Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:34:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 652
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 619
Total: 622

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sculptra Financial Assisstance for HIV facial wasting  (Read 26654 times)

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
Sculptra Financial Assisstance for HIV facial wasting
« on: October 06, 2007, 01:07:37 pm »

I have just finished having my third and last treatment of Sculptra facial filler injections.  Dermik Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer of Sculptra (PMMA type filler), has a financial assistance program and I did not have to have to pay anything for this!  The results are dramatic, amazingly positive, and my self-esteem has improved as a result in the fullness of my previously wasted face!  The contact number for the assistance forms to qualify you is 1-888-728-5787, follow the automated menu until they ask in you want financial assistance forms for Sculptra to be faxed to you.  If you go to www.sculptra.com there is a like if you type in your zip code they will list cosmetic surgeons in your area that participate in this area.  I was lucky the doctor I chose, his assistant had the forms faxed to her and she did all the paperwork for me and I didn't have to do a thing except provide my insurance information and medicare info.  You can have insurance, as long as you make less than $50,000/yr. and are HIV poz. you qualify because insurance companies do not recognize this, yet, as a medical treatment although the FDA approved it as a medical treatment in 1996 and it has an ICD9 billing code.  Good luck to you, if you want to ask me any questions to help guide you through this email me at rbg115@charter.net   Good Luck
20 years with HIV, 10 years with HCV and still rocking.  Do yourselves a favor, do a lot of research on reputable sites, find a multidisciplinary care team, think POZ., no more fun drugs booze, eat well, enjoy good safe sex a lot, and network in forums like this where there some people with knowledge.  Otherwise get a health care advocate through your local A.S.O.   Smile and be adventurous.  Help your peers and my best to you all!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Sculptra Financial Assisstance for HIV facial wasting
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 01:51:16 pm »
Thanks !

Although I am currently not in need of sculptra treatments, thanks for this information. My doctor does this in his office. I believe he started this, back in 2005. I went to the link you provided , just to recheck, and his name is there.

Glad to hear that things went well for you.

Take care
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RonG20YRSpoz

• All tied up!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 02:22:42 pm »

I appreciate your email and am new to this forum so I can't get my replies on the site, only through my email.  I am glad that you don;t need any treatment for lipoatrophy but it is comforting to know it  is there if you ever do.  I think being 20 yrs poz and on so many meds I lost a lot of facial collagen and started to look scary to myself.  This treatment has really made me feel better.  Health wise I have been fine through the years so I don't complain.  Best of luck to youl
Ron   :)
20 years with HIV, 10 years with HCV and still rocking.  Do yourselves a favor, do a lot of research on reputable sites, find a multidisciplinary care team, think POZ., no more fun drugs booze, eat well, enjoy good safe sex a lot, and network in forums like this where there some people with knowledge.  Otherwise get a health care advocate through your local A.S.O.   Smile and be adventurous.  Help your peers and my best to you all!

Offline poznva

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 11:39:14 pm »
Hi Ron, Thanks for the information youve provided. i have decided to act upon it and i'm currently waiting on my information to be mailed to me from Sculptra. I live in the Washington DC metro area/ Northern Va and I'm currently running into problems finding providers that will administer this drug for a resonable fee. All of them state that there is no such ICD9 billing code the insurance will not approve and also the lowest cost I've been quoted to have the injections done is so far $600.00 per INJECTION. Can you or someone out ther send me information as to where I might get some additional help? I really am in desparate need of this treatment but $2,000 is way out of my price range.Any information from anybody will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Offline madcowcorn

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 03:21:22 am »
hi i dont have any photos
however i think its starting to happen in the face
i have been taking trizavir for 5 yrs now and just got a test
so not sure where im at however my last test showed detectable of 400 and tcell at 450
which was down from 600 and up from zero
im afriad this will go further
any suggestions on what todo?
also how much does the surgery cost
thanks
robert
p.s. would love replies to madcowcorn@yahoo.com since im not sure if i will recieve replies yet

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 12:23:22 pm »
Welcome, Robert -- glad you found us!

I wouldn't switch meds with a VL of only 400 -- could be just a "blip", and return to undetectable.

However, discuss your concerns about lipoatrophy with your doctor -- see if she/he agrees with you.  You might also ask very close and honest friends or family if they think you are losing fat in your face.

If it is happening, then switching meds might be an option worth considering.

By the way, I don't often hear of HIV+ folks losing fat in the face without also loosing it in the arms and legs (and even the buttocks).  It's not usually isolated to the face.

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 12:12:54 pm »

I have just finished having my third and last treatment of Sculptra facial filler injections.  Dermik Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer of Sculptra (PMMA type filler), has a financial assistance program and I did not have to have to pay anything for this!  The results are dramatic, amazingly positive, and my self-esteem has improved as a result in the fullness of my previously wasted face!  The contact number for the assistance forms to qualify you is 1-888-728-5787, follow the automated menu until they ask in you want financial assistance forms for Sculptra to be faxed to you.  If you go to www.sculptra.com there is a like if you type in your zip code they will list cosmetic surgeons in your area that participate in this area.  I was lucky the doctor I chose, his assistant had the forms faxed to her and she did all the paperwork for me and I didn't have to do a thing except provide my insurance information and medicare info.  You can have insurance, as long as you make less than $50,000/yr. and are HIV poz. you qualify because insurance companies do not recognize this, yet, as a medical treatment although the FDA approved it as a medical treatment in 1996 and it has an ICD9 billing code.  Good luck to you, if you want to ask me any questions to help guide you through this email me at rbg115@charter.net   Good Luck

Do you have to have a diagnosis of lipo/ facial wasting, or do you send them a photo? I have noticed that my cheeks are looking sunken, especially in photos, which has suddenly made me very camera shy. My family thinks I look fine. I am 55. So I have to consider...is this due to aging, or HIV? oh, wait, I don't have SSDI or medicare. Maybe I'm just being a silly old queen.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 12:28:18 pm by rondrond »
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline atlq

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 06:45:34 pm »
Rondpond,
I had three treatments through the assistance program in 2005 and will be returning for a touch up  soon. In my case it worked like this: Select a dermatologist who injects Sculptra (the search for providers from sculptra.com will help), then set up an appointment for a consult. The dermatologist will "grade" your lipo and suggest the number of sessions required. The staff at the office will have the assistance paperwork. Fill it out COMPLETELY (they will return paperwork to you for any omission). Once you are approved the drug is shipped to your doctors office and they will set up appointments. You get the drug for free, you pay the dermatologist (in my case it was $350 per session). Sessions are a month apart....
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline atlq

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 06:49:33 pm »
OOPs....Ronrond, I meant...sorry!...

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 12:14:56 am »
Rondpond,
I had three treatments through the assistance program in 2005 and will be returning for a touch up  soon. In my case it worked like this: Select a dermatologist who injects Sculptra (the search for providers from sculptra.com will help), then set up an appointment for a consult. The dermatologist will "grade" your lipo and suggest the number of sessions required. The staff at the office will have the assistance paperwork. Fill it out COMPLETELY (they will return paperwork to you for any omission). Once you are approved the drug is shipped to your doctors office and they will set up appointments. You get the drug for free, you pay the dermatologist (in my case it was $350 per session). Sessions are a month apart....

Thank you for the info. I will check into finding a dermatologist in my area and then going from there.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline boylikertampa

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 11:51:05 am »
Yesterday resumed my Sculptra, after nearly 2 years since my last series.  I used Sculptra Patient Assistance...I make over $50,000 per year and I paid $800 for 2 treatment series (i.e., 2 visits to my HIV dr. to inject my face about 15 or so times).  I really feel my face responded this time.  My HIV dr. is certified or whatever to give Sculptra.  I would highly recommend applying for the financial help through your doctor and having it done (my dr. charges me $350 for each set of injections).  I am a teacher and now I won't feel as self-conscious about my face when school starts soon.  My lover makes less than $30,000 per year and got his Sculptra product free...still have to pay the dr. $350, which is cheap by cosmetic standards.

Offline pozitivefuture

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 04:09:53 pm »
Rondpond,

Atlq or anyone with this information Can you please tell me where u had the injections done for $350. Im tryn to get Sculptra done with in the next month. It would be very helpful, eveywhere i call there charging 500 to 600 dollars . Thank you in advance

Offline atlq

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 09:25:46 am »
Pozitivefuture,

I had to use the Sculptra website and its "Locate a Doctor" feature (typing in your zip code). Depending on your area, you should get a list of dermatologists who perform the procedure. Call various offices and inquire about rates. As I said, my last series was in 2005 and even then most docs were in that 500 area (and mine could be this time as well-I haven't asked even though I am going back. My doctors listing is below:

http://www.sculptra.us/us/locator/default.aspx?template=map&transaction=locMap&recordId=68&pWidth=400&origAddress=&origPostalCode=30306&origCity=Atlanta&origStateProvince=GA

Offline pozitivefuture

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 08:00:50 pm »
Pozitivefuture,

I had to use the Sculptra website and its "Locate a Doctor" feature (typing in your zip code). Depending on your area, you should get a list of dermatologists who perform the procedure. Call various offices and inquire about rates. As I said, my last series was in 2005 and even then most docs were in that 500 area (and mine could be this time as well-I haven't asked even though I am going back. My doctors listing is below:

http://www.sculptra.us/us/locator/default.aspx?template=map&transaction=locMap&recordId=68&pWidth=400&origAddress=&origPostalCode=30306&origCity=Atlanta&origStateProvince=GA

Thank you soooo much

Offline atlq

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 08:14:18 pm »
Best of luck.... :)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 09:36:46 pm »
I completed my Sculptra treatments last year while unemployed.  I went through the process exactly as Atlq explained a few posts up.  It was a very efficient process all around.  I remain very pleased with the results on my face. I am employed now and will likely pay a pro-rated amount if I need a touch up at the end of this year or in 2009.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.