Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:29:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 199
Total: 199

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: elisa test in the uk  (Read 12148 times)

Offline jimmi

elisa test in the uk
« on: June 04, 2006, 05:14:50 am »
hi to you all,
i realy need help fromsome please.last year i had to tests for hiv 1 at 3months 1 at 9months and all was ok.then ive started to have problems with my stomach again and headaches.i just realized there were 2 types of hiv does anyone know which type the elisa test tests for.im realy worried and thinking the worst please help many thanks to you all

Offline RapidRod

Re: elisa test in the uk
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 05:19:00 am »
At the time frame that you have given it ELISA test is reliable for both HIV 1 and 2. Your concern is not with HIV. See a doctor if you continue to have stomach problems.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 05:32:40 am »
Roddles is quite correct. You would do well to read the lessons section of this site. You can find the link in the upper left hand corner of the page or in RapidRod's signature block at the bottom of his posts.

MtD

Offline jimmi

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 05:40:40 am »
thanks again rod and maty,
im real scared here ive been reading the forums for days.my head is so mesed up just now,i can only apoligise.yous helped me through my test the last time,and i could not thank all of yous enough.i relly sory if im wasteing your time i just cant cope.do yous think my tests were conclusive or do i need another test.thank you all

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 05:45:01 am »
thanks again rod and maty,
im real scared here ive been reading the forums for days.my head is so mesed up just now,i can only apoligise.yous helped me through my test the last time,and i could not thank all of yous enough.i relly sory if im wasteing your time i just cant cope.do yous think my tests were conclusive or do i need another test.thank you all

Jimmi,

Calm down. Your test results are 100% absolutely conclusive. You do not have HIV. Your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV. HIV has no specific symptoms. Visit your doctor and get them checked out.

But trust me, this isn't an HIV issue.

Regards,

MtD

Offline jimmi

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 05:49:52 am »
thanks again maty,
i was real worried about the test here in uk,and the doc did not explain anything about the test.thank you very much take care.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 06:00:51 am »
It's my pleasure Jimmi. That's what we do here. I'm glad we've been able to help you out. See your doctor and get your tummy troubles checked out.

Regards,

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 09:25:59 am »
Jimmi,

I live in the UK as well, and in UK GUM clinics they normally test for both hiv 1 and 2. Your test results are conclusive, you are hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jimmi

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 03:57:51 pm »
thanks ann and maty thats calmed me down a bit.yous are great people here take care.jimmi

Offline jimmi

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 05:44:02 am »
good morning everyone,
i was at the doctors other day reguarding my situation having had two elisa test last year both negative.my doctor
had no explanations reguarding the noises in my stomach or some rashes and spots.iknow symptoms mean nothing
at all. i have been reading about all the subtypes and diferent tests and still very worried incase the elisa test were wrong.can someone please help me thanks jimmi

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 07:22:06 am »
We can't help you with your worries that are not related to HIV. You are HIV negative so you need to look elsewhere if your problems continue.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 08:58:10 am »
jimmi,

Just because your doctor had no explanation for what is bothering you doesn't mean it has anything to do with hiv. You can trust hiv testing in the UK. You are hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jimmi

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 10:41:19 am »
hi there rod and ann ,
thanks again for replying,i think the problem is in my head also.i will be asking for some help with my worries at next visit to doctors.i think yous have  done all yous can for me,which im real greatful.thanks again lots jimmi

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 11:46:28 am »
Fortunately feelings aren't facts. A test result is a fact. No matter what your head may say to the contrary, your negative test results have conclusively established that you are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Maybe there are other thoughts and feelings attached to the incident which caused you to get tested. Whether that is so or not, HIV is not your issue. If you can't let go of this then I suggest you see a therapist or other professional to sort out what's going on. And as for your symptoms  you can get a second opinion. But whatever is going on has nothing to do with HIV.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline jimmi

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2006, 02:57:17 am »
hi all,
thanks again to all of you who replied to my questions.i am sorry to take up any more of your time but i realy need your help.i realise i have problems accepting my results and cant handle the what if i am pos.i have been reading some uk sites for answers also,and they are saying some test for all types of hiv and some dont.please please can someone please advise on this i am going out of my mind with worry.does the antibody test for all type of hiv please help me i have no one else to talk to many thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 06:04:56 am »
jimmi,

The tests used in the UK will pick up any hiv infection by the end of the window period, which is twelve weeks. You tested out to nine months and you can be certain you do NOT have hiv in any way, shape or form. Please re-read the answers you have already had. Our answers aren't going to change.

You never mentioned what lead you to believe you might be infected with hiv in the first place. Unless you had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, you weren't at risk in the first place. But, no matter what made you worry about hiv infection, one thing is for certain - you are hiv negative.

If you continue to have difficulty in accepting your negative hiv status, please ask your GP for a referral to your local mental heath care team so you can get some help and support for your hiv anxiety. We cannot do that for you here, you must seek face-to-face help.

You are hiv negative. Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will continue to avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jimmi

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 06:32:53 am »
dear ann,
i feel so bad for wasteing your time which im really gratefull.i know i must sort this problem out as its been going on for some time now.i am a worrying paranoid person at the best of times,who has been stupid at times in my life .i had every symptom and still have some.i just feel theres so much conflicting information about testing here in uk .  recently i have been reading about testing in the uk and it scares me to death that maybe they dont test for all types of hiv.i hope you understand and accept my appoligy as i dont wish to use anyones time.im really gratefull to you i just have no one exept all of you here who are doing a great job.i will be seeking help soon many thanks jimmi

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 09:55:00 am »
HIV is not your issue. You have reliably tested negative for the virus. 3 months would have been sufficient, so at 9 months it was way past overkill. You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

If you have physical concerns that are troubling you discuss them with your doctor. Hopefully matters can be resolved that way. You might also consider seeing a therapist or other such professional to deal with the emotional aspects of your situation.

Even if you still have HIV fears, whatever is going on has nothing to do with HIV.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline jimmi

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 10:40:43 am »
hi andy,
thank you for your time,i am going to listen to you this time.i will go back to docs again and see what they can do for me once again thank you, take care jimmi.

Offline jimmi

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 12:18:14 am »
hi all,
could someone please answer this for me i think i made a mistake with my first question im sory,i had my first antibody test at 10wks then another at 19months.all was okay ,would i still have antibodys enough to be detected on an antibody test.im still haveing problems with symptoms.please answer this for me im still very scared please help me.i a m hopeing this will help me to put all this behind me
thank you

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 02:14:10 am »
Jimmi,

You don't have any HIV concerns from what you describe. Your 19 month test is more than sufficient for returning an accurate result. Which it did.

Sexually active people should have a full STD checkup at least twice a year. A full check up includes an HIV antibody test. I would encourage you to read the Welcome Thread.

Take care,

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 07:10:06 am »
Jimmi,

Once a person develops antibodies for hiv, they always have them and will always test positive. You would still "have enough antibodies left" because you can't run out of them. Any hiv test at twelve weeks or is sufficient.

You are hiv negative. It's time for you to move on with your life, always remembering to use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse. Do that and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jimmi

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 11:38:30 am »
thank you ann and Matty,
i was just thinking that maybe i have no antibody's left,it may sound silly but it was just a thought.i have been trying real hard to put this behind me and move on. it just doesint seem easy though to be honest.i am hoping to find soulmate one day so i am just trying to be 100% I'm OK.i hope you understand.also i think the gum clinics are real busy here and don't have time to explain all the facts.unlike everyone here to which i am really greatfull.are yous really sure the antibody tests pick up all types of hiv?.thanks again take care jimmi

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 01:27:08 pm »
Modern ELISA tests for HIV test for both HIV 1 and HIV 2. If you don't believe me, I can direct you to NHS websites which detail which tests they purchase and use. Believe your tests, you are negative. Stop surfing the Internet for a few days if you can, it's playing havoc with your mental health. Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline jimmi

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 05:29:20 pm »
hi lydgate,
thanks for your help,im really greatfull for your reply.i will stop looking on net it was just worrying me thanks again take care jimmi

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.