Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:02:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 207
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV & Spirituality  (Read 19167 times)

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
HIV & Spirituality
« on: June 02, 2006, 01:15:33 am »
Here's a question that I was pondering the other day. How has your status changed your view on spirituality? Has it brought you closer to your "creator"/god/goddess or has it caused you to abandon beliefs? Feel free to elaborate.

I know this is a personal question, so no judging! :) I don't think you all are capable of doing that to each other, so I'm not really worried, but I said it so it would be said.

I'll post my answers when I'm a little less sleepy.  :)
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: HIV & Spirituality
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 01:27:35 am »
Molten,

I'll have a crack at this. ;D

I'm the forum's Resident Atheist. I reject all forms of religion and yes I consider "spirituality" to be a form of religion. "Spirituality" is as big a crock of shit  as christianity, islam, hinduism, the Lord of the Rings and the zodiac to name a few. Such things are either crowd control (designed to make people behave in particular way) or a willful refusal for people to accept that the universe is entirely random and they don't go on forever. I don't accept the existence of a soul or a spirit or a pneuma or whatever.

But if others do, that's cool. Far be it from me to stop people from deluding themselves about this stuff.

HIV didn't change my mind about this one iota.

Fondly,

MtD

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 01:59:41 am »
Hello Molten. Hello Matty.

Since diagnosis, my approach, if you will, my spirituality is not so different, but the degree to which I express it now is much more frequent and intense. I use all modes and quite randomly as I don't believe one route is better than another.

To answer your question, has it brought me closer to Father/Mother/God? Absolutely. For me it is key and a key to living well with such transition, to accepting what is and to being of greater service to those in far greater need than I.

Timely that I found your thread tonight. I was just with two people this evening watching an MSIA (Movement of Spiritual Inner Awareness) webcast eminating from Los Angeles. And, the content was timely as well.

Love and Light and Good night.
Emeraldize

Offline fearless

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 02:11:03 am »
I'll stand tall with my Aussie friend Matty on this one.
I know, me standing tall is an oxymoron, but us Aussies can spot of a crock of s... when we see one.
We can be damned together, Matty.

Oh, oh, oh. I have to add though. I have an uncontrollable Jesus fantasy. Probably my catholic upbringing, but I go week at the knees when I see a guy who looks like your classic Jesus. Grrrr, gets me every time.

damn, why can't i post a pic

« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:32:58 am by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline leximancer

• a thousand words
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 02:14:21 am »
There's only one resident atheist on these boards?

I've never particularly believed in a higher power.  I mean, one might exist, or it might not.  I don't much care.  Frankly, it's because I don't think it matters.  What I do on this planet, I do because I want to.  Gods and their associated afterlives don't influence it.  Therefore, it doesn't matter whether gods exist.

Being positive hasn't affected my opinion in this regard.

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 02:55:55 am »
  I mean, one might exist, or it might not.  I don't much care.

That makes you an apathetic agnostic.  :D

To Matty and Steve.. I love you guys but don't you think saying what other people believe... what may be important part of their life, is a crock of shit; isn't that being a bit insensitive and disrespectful?  Couldn't you just say you don't believe in it and leave it at that?   

Member since March 2004

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 03:12:41 am »
That makes you an apathetic agnostic.  :D

To Matty and Steve.. I love you guys but don't you think saying what other people believe... what may be important part of their life, is a crock of shit; isn't that being a bit insensitive and disrespectful?  Couldn't you just say you don't believe in it and leave it at that?   

Ted-E,

You're right babe, it is insensitive, but that doesn't make me any the less correct in this matter. People believe all sorts of crazy shit, and if they want to do that, cool. If they want to talk about it, that's hip and funky too. But, if people don't want their beliefs and opinions commented on, perhaps they should worship the goddess in private.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from response, babe.

Now don't get me wrong, just because I think this whole religio-spirituality thing is a pile of steaming crud doesn't mean I necessarily view the people who believe in it in the same light. I don't. My most beloved Buckles calls himself a pagan and believes in all that spirituality rubbish too and I adore him beyond all compare. I just think he's deluded on this particular issue.

I mean, atheists and allied skeptics always get shat on by the "believers, theists, spiritualists" and other peddlers of this stuff. That's cool. We can hack it, we're prepared to have our lack of belief called dung, but it cuts both ways.

In any event, it's the issue at stake, not the person. I may be a ranting fanatic on this issue but I still love you all.

Even the wimpy religious sorts. ;)

MtD

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 03:18:52 am »
Ted they could have said that they don't beliieve, but what they did say wasn't insensitive and disrespectful to me. I believe in what I want to believe and I'm strong enough to handle other people's views.

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 03:42:07 am »
Ok, I didn't mean for this thread to be aggressive. I meant it as just "how has HIV affected YOUR beliefs/lack of/etc" not a flame between people of belief and athiests. :) Leave the debates/soapboxes for PMs on BOTH sides of the issue, please. :) Or, start another thread, but no hijacking mine. Hehe

Now, that that's been addressed...

I'm still on the edge of what exactly my beliefs are as far as how HIV has affected me. I was raised Christian, and I went Pagan for a few years. Gradually, Christianity and Paganism have blended, and right now, I'm a confirmed Agnostic. I believe in a higher power - just not too sure what that is at the moment. I have felt deeper since finding out about my HIV status. But exactly "what" that is has yet to be determined.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 03:49:11 am »
Ok, I didn't mean for this thread to be aggressive. I meant it as just "how has HIV affected YOUR beliefs/lack of/etc" not a flame between people of belief and athiests. :) Leave the debates/soapboxes for PMs on BOTH sides of the issue, please. :) Or, start another thread, but no hijacking mine. Hehe

Now, that that's been addressed...

I'm still on the edge of what exactly my beliefs are as far as how HIV has affected me. I was raised Christian, and I went Pagan for a few years. Gradually, Christianity and Paganism have blended, and right now, I'm a confirmed Agnostic. I believe in a higher power - just not too sure what that is at the moment. I have felt deeper since finding out about my HIV status. But exactly "what" that is has yet to be determined.

Molten,

Not a chance. You started a thread on spirituality you gotta take what comes. There has been no hijacking here, we're all on topic and being quite respectful to each other. I love Ted-E very much. This is in no way a flame war. It's a full and frank exchange of views, that's all.

Trust me babe. There's no need to worry. ;)

MtD

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 04:13:23 am »
**glare**

:D

Play nice.  ;)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 04:45:50 am »
That's the spirit babe! ;)

MtD
(Who is a Mistress of Irony) ;D

Offline freshair

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 06:28:45 am »
I consider myself an atheist because it doesn't seem rational to assume that any human is capable of understanding existence. God, Allah, Buddha, the Big Bang, whatever, it's all the same to me. The fact that we exist at all, and that no one knows why or how, is a beautiful notion for me in its mind-blowing mystery, and it takes me out of my daily-life mode of thinking.
you do not need to leave your room. remain sitting at your table and listen. do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still, and solitary. the world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstacy at your feet. -- kafka

Offline Markmt

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 08:00:11 am »
Being HIV+ has not added or taken anything from what I used to believe prior to the diagnoses. I think I learned to appreciate life abit more then I used to but that would not fall under spirituality or religion  :)

"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline David_CA

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 08:38:56 am »
My feelings are similar to Emeraldize.  I feel as close to God (or whatever title you use) as ever.  You know, when I get stressed, scared, or generally upset about all this HIV shit that I, and all of us, are dealing with, there's one thing that always brings relief.  Facts and statistics don't help much, talking about it to certain close friends helps some, reading what others are going through here and interacting with them helps quite a bit.  If I ask (pray) for help getting through a rough spot, the next thing I know is that I feel better.  When I have a Dr's appointment and feel like I'd rather hide than go, I ask for strength to handle it; I make it through fine and generally don't even realize how upset I was about it earlier.  That's not a 'crock of shit' to me.  Spirituality is personal.  I don't force my beliefs on anybody, I don't dislike those that don't share my beliefs.  It's personal.  I won't tell an atheist that they're in denial in that they don't want to think that there's any being that has any control over them. 

I've often thought it was kind of humorous that an atheist would even get into a discussion about religion / spirituality.  If they don't have religious beliefs at all, why discuss that, when the topic implies that one has religious beliefs?  It's kind of like me debating which aspect of a female arouses me.  I'm gay, there's no part of a female that arouses me.  I certainly won't say that straight guys who like females are in any way inferior or wrong.

Saying somebody's beliefs are a 'crock of shit' IS being insensitive.  It's like saying that somebody's positive thinking about living with HIV is 'stupid as shit; you're gonna get sick and die from it'.  True, maybe, but still not sensitive/ nice.  Remember, a lot of us are here for support; part of support is being sensitive.  Having said that, I wonder if the atheists among us are gay.  The reason I ask is that a lot of gay guys I know tend to not have much in the way of religious beliefs.  I'm gay, and I do have strong spiritual / moderate religious beliefs, but I certainly not one that would push my beliefs on anybody else. 

Good topic, MoltenStorm.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 09:21:27 am »
I must admit I do consider myself to be an atheist, a lot of the problems with the world I see are consequences of religion. The arguements over abortion, womens rights, racism, homophobia, foreign conflicts the list goes on all of which are influenced in some way by religion.  I do respect people with religious beliefs the only thing I don't like is having religion forced upon me but i've rarely come across this apart from attending a Church of England school as a child which was interesting that's for sure!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 09:40:11 am »
While I do have difficulty discussing this subject, due to my very personal feelings about spirit; I understand the question, and by the way, I also understand the feelings/input that both Matty, and David NC have made here.

Going directly to the question, which really doesn't beg discussion; my spirituality has changed little since becoming HIV+.  I must also add, that since this event happened over 22 years ago, there have been many changes in my life, views, and personal belief system.

I come from an Evangelical Fundamentalist background, that is to say, my father thought Jerry Fallwell was a raving liberal.  That being said, my parents birthed me and for that I am grateful.  Beyond that, I have over the years been able to really focus on my personal belief system and from that background, I will expound.

I feel that as humans, we are definitely composed of mind/body/spirit.  I have no proof, or experience to prove or disprove the existence of spirit, such as the stand that Matty has taken.  I feel deeply that Matty does indeed have a spirit, and one that is alive and well.  Why do I say this?  Because he is a deeply feeling person, and while this might be a product of his intellect, I have experienced his spirit on more than one occasion.  I know he will disagree with this, but he isn't the one typing, nor is he the one that is reading the input from my spirit.  I also have a very close connection to Native American/Native Beliefs universal, and for that I am grateful.  Only thing is, when I speak of my spirituality, I seldom go into detail, due to the complete disconnect between this culture and natural forces.  I know that the world is alive, I know that the spirits do have influence, and I also know that when things are supposed to happen, they do.  For example, last year, we were being asked by every religious, and non-religious person with any influence at all; to pray for God's intercession on behalf of those poor souls living in and around New Orleans.   I have news for all of you.  If God/Nature/Universal Power was at all interested in saving that wretched town, the hurricane would not have hit that location.  Duh!  Then why are we (the proposed sheep) supposed to pray for intervention in a plan that has already been put in motion by a power much more effective than we are?  I think I would leave well enough alone.  If we want the "culture" of New Orleans to carry on and flourish, it only seems right that we would move the location above sea level and then pray that people will spend loads of money to make it flourish above sea level.

You see, spirituality brings up way to many issues to an audience like this.  First we are told that we as Gay Humans are an anomaly, and we are not welcome in most all the churches around the globe, and then we are asked to pray for our own good health and well being.  Sorry, I am to intelligent and too in touch with my own spirit to accept bullshit dressed in any Golden Encrusted Robes.  

I guess you can see from my response here that I am very grounded in my own spirit, and I am influenced little by the ignorance or confusion of western religion.

In Love, Let us Pray!

(from one who thinks traditional Spirituality is bogus in the extreme)
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 09:59:07 am »
David you said"you wonder if the atheists among us are gay"? See,another judgement call....I can assure you this ol' atheistic homo is queer as a three dollar bill.

Hal

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 10:02:08 am »
I go week at the knees when I see a guy who looks like your classic Jesus. Grrrr, gets me every time.

Then you must like "Aragorn" from the Lord of the Rings movies. He's hot stuff

Offline catwoman

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 10:08:10 am »
I am a Christian and since my diagnosis, my faith has gotten stronger. 

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 10:13:14 am »
I don't know that HIV caused any greater intensity in my beliefs. It did cause me to sort the wheat from the chaff, so to speak and dump the ideologies that had littered my psyche thanks to my upbringing, indoctrination, brainwashing, as a child.

I have been a practicing pagan for many years. Very happy with it and don't need validation from anyone or from society in general.

See, not all gays are atheists.  :P

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline David_CA

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 10:20:44 am »
Editied 'cause I misread the post I was replying to.  See what happens when I get distracted by work at work!

David
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 10:38:52 am by David_NC »
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 10:36:39 am »
I am a Christian and since my diagnosis, my faith has gotten stronger. 

Me too and I have 2 MIND-BLOWING tales that would pique the interest of even the most hardened atheist ("HA! SHEER LUCK!" is the atheist's rebuttal I'd brace myself for - I know, I know, that's unfair of me). I would never post these tales without invitation - that would be an imposition. Whomever likes real-life accounts of supernatural run-ins would have to email me and tolerate the microdetails within my accounts

Offline DCGuy511

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 11:13:12 am »
I do not think that I am more spiritual as a poz person. I'm a gay man and, hold onto your seats, a Catholic convert.  I was raised Pentecostal-fundamentalist-wacko and was always uncomfortable. However, I cannot deny that I feel that there is a higher power and that the universe is not, in fact, random. I was schooled in Catholicism by the Jesuits, so admittingly, I have a very liberal view of the Church, religion and spirituality. I do not think that the Catholics are correct on everything and I do not believe that any one religion or demonination holds an exclusivity on truth.

A funny little story. My baby brother was sent to Catholic school because the public school was so crowded.  Well, about a year after he started at St. Mary's my step-father was horrified when my brother was actually thrown out of our little Pentecostal church. My parents were told that either they stopped sending Nathan to Catholic school or they would not be welcome in their church. Turns out that my brother was teaching his Sunday School classmates about evolution.  A few years later he also came out of the closet and thankfully my parents no longer damn homosexuals to hell.
Steve
Infected/Diagnosed Fall 2003
"No Man Is An Island" - J Donne

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 11:21:49 am »
Me too and I have 2 MIND-BLOWING tales  that would pique the interest of even the most hardened atheist ("HA! SHEER LUCK!" is the atheist's rebuttal I'd brace myself for - I know, I know, that's unfair of me). I would never post these tales without invitation - that would be an imposition. Whomever likes real-life accounts of supernatural run-ins would have to email me and tolerate the microdetails within my accounts

I'll take this challenge. PM me. If you dare.

MtD ;)

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 12:15:36 pm »
I think it was Pat Robertson who said: “AIDS” is Gods way of punishing homosexuality. Also that the Hurricanes in New Orleans was due to the sins of it’s people. Jerry Falwell said this about the attack on the WTC on 911:

Quote: "The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America, I point the finger in their face and say: you helped this happen."

I’ve been a re-covering Catholic for many years. I guess it all depends on whose fantasy/story  you believe in.

Religion has had no impression on how I have dealt with HIV/AIDS. However in the more recent years I have become very angry towards all religious organizations when I witness the carnage, murder, hunger and slaughter around the world brought on by these so called holy/religious  people. While they waltz around in their fancy dresses and fat full bellies. While little children are starving to death here in America and worldwide or children are being trained to be suicide bombers for Allah. If they/you/anyone  want to believe in this fantasy belief of theirs. So be it. But don’t shove it in my face or try and force me to think the way you/they say I should think.

“ SEPARATION CHURCH AND STATE”

And I believe a person is good because they want to be Good or Moral not because  of what religious group they belong to. More blood has been shed in the name of religion than any other cause throughout history.

I’m sorry to be so upset by this but I just can’t see how these people can sleep at night doing what they do, all in “The Name of God”

Terry

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/religion/televangelists/jerry-falwell/

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 12:26:02 pm »
Hm, Has my diagnosis effected my spirituality?  Yes, I am much more aware now of things, and respectful.  As far as getting into the dietic side of it, that is really my own personal choice.

Offline Duude

• VANS Warped Tour Kicked ASS
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 04:36:03 pm »
Since testing poz at the tender age of however old I was at the time, I suddenly became amazingly aware of the Christian Right.  It has all been a little confusing with serious decisions and choices to make.  Right now I am wrestling with pilgrimaging to either Starbucks or Jamba Juice.  Please let there be an immediate epiphany, its betting late.
Duude

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 05:09:56 pm »
Certainly yes.

I let not my life rule by spiritualism, but my respect for all living things has tremendously increased since my diagnosis in the eighties.

Maybe I could put it as the feeling of a higher connection between us all.

Spiritual in a sense of better coping with death : most certainly.

Most of all HIV has brought me closer to the center of who I am and what I am.
I see death now as a part of living and not as an end to it.

My perception of people has changed and I have become a lot less materialistic.

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 09:28:45 pm »
4 Pastors in the Family, 12 years of Christian Day School has helped me deal with my own mortality.   I do not fear death, I do fear the pain I experience be it my own or someone elsess in whatever form that may take.   For me I am going to make the best out of what life I have left.  I am going to be there for those I love and those I care about.  Success in my world is not something you can drive, wear or be kept in a bank.  Its just a sence that I can love others and they love me.  That is the coolest thing I can give and receive..   I hope we all have some time left here.  I am not done learning and growing.  I hope with the help of others, this gift of time will be allowed..

Love

Offline fearless

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 11:04:46 pm »
hey Ted,
You are right and I do apologise. They are my personal views and I do have the utmost respect for anybody who has thought about these matters and reached their own views on it. To each their own.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 11:27:59 pm »
Here's a question that I was pondering the other day. How has your status changed your view on spirituality? Has it brought you closer to your "creator"/god/goddess or has it caused you to abandon beliefs? Feel free to elaborate.

My status hasn't changed my view on spirituality and didn't cause me to abandon belief,which I already abandoned when I was about 14 years old. I was born and raised as a Catholic ( and still am officially ) and no matter how much they have tried to teach this to me during my first years of school. It just didn't make any sense to me and at that point ( about 14 years old ) I simply stopped attending mass. I only go for funerals and weddings because I have to, but it has no meaning for I.

Later on in my last year of High School I took a course of '' History of Religion ''. I thought, well perhaps Catholicism isn't good for me and should learn about the others. The result was exactly the same, and actually reinforced my disbelief of the whole thing no matter what.

My status didn't me bring closer to my '' creator '' but moreover to myself, family, friends,etc.. I've always tried to be the best man I could, have respect for everyone and hope to be remembered for that. Having said that, I do have respect for others beliefs as long as someone isn't trying to push it to me.

Regards,

The Canuck

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2006, 12:30:45 am »
Of course everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions and the freedom of expression to state them.  Was just sayin' that you can express your opinions about beliefs you do not share in a more sensitive manner that has less of a chance of coming across as an attack on a person's character, intelligence, etc.

I know you love me.  ;)

Thanks Steve.. accepted.  :)

<<Matty>>
<<Steve>>
Member since March 2004

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2006, 02:53:09 am »
Can't ya just FEEL the love in here?  ;D

MtD

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2006, 03:17:17 am »
I fully agree.
Love is what I have learned to give and receive on here and through HIV.

And talking about a purpose in life : to share my heart and kindness, call it love, with others is what I want to do with the rest of my life.
I just cannot forget love for myself, as that has been the problem in the past.

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 02:46:02 am »
I've never been a spiritual person and HIV has not changed that. I definitely don't have the certainty to call myself an atheist. I think the category I would best fit into would be agnotic humanist.

Offline LACboi

• AMG member since June 2005
    • FaceBook
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 03:45:52 am »
I'm a Gay Christian, and yes Christians can be GAY, and yes my faith has gotten stronger since my diagnosis.
 :-*

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2006, 07:01:51 pm »
When Ronald and Nancy Reagan left Washington DC at the end of his presidency, they purchased a Beverly Hills home that had been used in the sit-com "Beverly Hillbillys."  They had the address of the house changed because it was 666. 

Today is June 6, 2006 (666) and I chose this day to have my semi-annual Case Management meeting at Face-to-Face, I went to the Post Office, paid some bills and went to the Polls.

I have also reviewed an important news article from the L.A. Times on Ryan White funding and have plotted out a course of action for the day.  Happy 666.
Michael
(who beat Alanbama on this greeting)

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:23:20 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2006, 05:37:44 am »
Wow what a topic! I will not elaborate too much here, but I had a very powerful mind blowing experience once 6 years ago. I'll leave the rest up to all of your imaginations! Think what you want!
Positive since 1985

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2006, 09:32:12 am »
Wow what a topic! I will not elaborate too much here, but I had a very powerful mind blowing experience once 6 years ago. I'll leave the rest up to all of your imaginations! Think what you want!

and don't you just love them?  ;) i had 2 in august 2005 - if more come to me this year, i'm better prepared

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2006, 05:21:07 pm »
In holland we have a new word for what people often say: I don't believe in God, but I believe there is something.

Something is in dutch "iets'"
The religion is called ietsism, so something like somethingianism.

I think I am an ietsist, I experienced things I don't understand and that are too big to be coincidence. HIV didn't make it stronger but HIV made me more emotional and maybe more susceptible to experiencing "Iets"

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline USNRET

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006, 07:40:51 pm »
I am a Christian and go to church and worship every Sunday.   I think God has made a profound change in my life and has kept me healthy all these years and will continue to do so.    I am healthier now even before I got HIV/AIDS.  My God is awesome!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2006, 10:29:19 pm »
Well Molten,

You definitely have opened up a heavy topic. In my experience, I grew up in the Church also. I am Gay and I do beleive that there is a God. It has to be, just look around you, you can see him in the wind, rain, snow, the clouds, the sun, the trees, somone had to create this planet as balalnced as it is from somewhere.

Since my diagnosis of HIV I have grown more spiritually than I ever have. He has kept me and he has brought me thus far. I agree with Tim that we all have a spirit and it is tied to a supreme force.

Not all of this religion crap, or denominations. There is one faith and that is yours!

Offline hjeffs

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2006, 11:19:27 pm »
When events in my life are as big as this it is like the universe is turning up the volume on something. I need to look at what is in front of me and learn something. I am not sure what that is yet, more com pation for the human experience or life as something that is fragile.

Everything in my life is exactly as it is supposed to be and it is my job to see what the meaning is. This is a big deal to me and so I take it as a big lesson and a life learning experience. This has not been done to me or by any power but an opportunity for me to learn more about my part here.
I know this sounds weird but there you go
Love to all
Jeff

Offline bear60

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2006, 04:20:34 pm »
Interesting thread.
I have rarely talked about this topic because I find people are either indifferent to it or too religious for me.
There is one experience I can share that may or may not illustrate why I feel I have become more spiritual since becoming HIV positive.  This experience happened right after my former partner died in 1995. Mind you I am not religious and do NOT have strong beliefs in terms of religion.
After paul died I had a dream in which I saw him ( his spirit) and he was really in pain and suffering a lot.  It was totally out of that movie by Whoopie Goldberg "Ghost"....where the spirit is in purgotory or whatever. It upset me because it was so clear. I can still remember it. So about a year after that I had another dream about him in which his spirit came to me and said:" I'm fine.  Dont worry about me.  I am alive and well and living in Cuba!"  I mean would anyone make this stuff up!!!! So that was the end of dreams about him.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2006, 04:26:08 pm »
I hope it was Cuba without Castro. :D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.