Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:13:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 534
Total: 535

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The lipid saga continues  (Read 4948 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
The lipid saga continues
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:45:51 pm »
I had my labs drawn yesterday and checked in with the doctor today to see where my lipids were at.

I have been very careful about my diet, eating only vegetarian, gluten free meals, or meals with fish, except one day a week, when I allow myself some kind of animal protein, albeit a very lean one.

No fats, the only oils I use is olive oil, and even then, in very spare amounts.

I eat no dairy, period. I do use almond milk.

I allow myself two eggs a week, but the rest of the time I am eating oatmeal for breakfast.

I am going to change my middle name to "Tofu" since I seem to be eating it so much.

I exercise at least four times a week, including cardio, strength training and swimming.

I have added just about every supplement you can imagine that is supposed to help keep blood lipids down, reduce fat in the blood, metabolize the fat, etc.

I take so many supplements, it is like being on meds in 96 all over again. :P

Well, I got my results today.

My lipids are worse.  :o

Cholesterol - 246 (was 199 last time).

LDL - 171  (was 149 the last time).

Triglycerides - 167  (was 139 the last time).

Two positive results:

HDL - 41 (was 37 the last time)

CPKs - 599 (were 930 something the last time.)

(((((((SIGH)))))))

The doctor said I am doing everything right, but my lipids are just not cooperating.

I find this very frustrating.

I guess I will have to further scrutinize my diet, remove all traces of animal fat, cut out the two eggs a week, and finally, the doctor said I should try losing some weight. That has helped others, he said.

So, I am aiming to lose at least 10 pounds, and I would like to drop 15. That would put me in the 165- to 170-pound range.

I am 5'11", 165 or so should be an OK weight.

I think Wolfie and I are in the same boat. Lets hope we both can get a handle on this.

The doctor said he wouldn't worry if I weren't already in the "danger zone" for heart attacks, stroke, etc.

Now, I have to start tweaking my gluten free diet some more. Gluten free food is often loaded with fat.

I will just have to try harder, I guess. I don't really have a choice. The doctor and I briefly talked about a statin, but he is as reticent as I am about trying one again.

OK, I just need to start thinking thin, I guess.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: The lipid saga continues
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:44:36 am »
Hey Mark,

Sorry to hear the latest on your lipids.  I really thought you were getting things under control.

I don't know what to tell you, maybe cutting out the two eggs a week will help, but two eggs a week is not bad, and of course dropping some weight. 

You seem to be doing everything right,

I just came back from the clinic about an hour ago.  They took blood for my lipid panel, I also have a feeling, it's going to be higher than I want it to be. The last test was in July, so I am not sure what to expect. I seem to be getting lazier, and really need to exercise more.  :-\
My doctor says the weight is the big issue, so I need to try to cut back 10 pounds or so.

Hang in there Mark ---------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:46:49 pm »
You might need to consider a statin Mark.  My doctor and I have been experimenting over the last couple of years.  Even switching to my extreme diet and exercising constantly, I had horrible numbers.  I started Pravastatin and saw immediate results.  After my numbers reached ideal status, I discontinued the Pravastatin.

I slowly watched my lipids worsen to the point where they were in the danger zone.  I started back on my statin and now 9 months later, I have outstanding numbers.

I don't know why I had such an issue with taking a statin every day for the rest of my life. ;D

Oh, and my first test was with Lipitor which I didn't tolerate so keep an open mind to trying different ones.

Best wishes buddy!
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 12:23:17 am »
The problem with statins isn't that I don't want to take one. I would not mind it at all if it could simplify my life a bit.

The problem is when I take them, and I have been on several, my CPKs skyrocket. the last time, they went to about 2,874. They are supposed to be less than 170.

I was having trouble walking at that point, so it was a good thing to stop them statin.

We may try another one, maybe. But if I do, I will have to watch it closely.

Onward and upward.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:53:10 am »
Not sure what my lipids are but my cholesterol is around 107. That's the high point lately. All my other blood results are either textbook perfect or low...except for testosterone...that one is high...

Here's my diet:

Morning is cantaloupe and grapes or on weekends I might have tuna fish salad on avocado.

Lunch during the week is a chicken quesadilla or tuna fish salad on whole grain.

Dinner is usually a yogurt, banana, and whole grain slice with peanut butter.

Weekends I combine lunch and dinner. Just get whatever I think I want. Could be chicken, pasta, or rarely a hamburger...I usually skip the fries.

I either drink water or hot tea.

Still trying to figure out how to get vegetables back into my life. Usually the only ones I get are what's in the quesadilla.

Not sure if that helps but I go in to have blood drawn after Thanksgiving. I'll try to remember to ask my doc about my lipids scores. Let you know what he says.

Also I work out four to five days a week. Maybe that helps some too.
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline aztecan

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 12:57:23 pm »
Gee, LTS, you diet is spare. But I can see why your total cholesterol is so low.

Lipids is a fancy term the docs use to describe the levels of certain fats in the blood. They include triglycerides, LDL cholesterol (the naughty one), and HDL cholesterol (the beneficial one.)

I would be curious to see what your HDL level. Mine finally topped the normal level, but everything else went to pot.

I have odd problems with diet. I am gluten intolerant (diagnosed more than a decade ago, before it became fashionable.  ;)  )

I also have to watch my carbohydrate intake. If I don't have sufficient protein or fiber in the meal, I tend to have a hypoglycemic episode.

Oatmeal does OK, probably because it comes with a lot of fiber which slows absorption.

But, as an example, I had cream of buckwheat (yes, buckwheat is gluten free) at about 8:30 a.m.

It is now two hours later and I can feel the sugar levels dropping. I am going to have to eat again soon or be a mess.

To eat just fruit for breakfast would be asking for trouble. I do like fruit, but I usually eat it with other things, such as oatmeal.

I also eat only one egg at a time (per meal and only two total for the week), but I will eat it with sliced avocado, sliced tomato and a some sort of fruit.

I rarely eat bread, except when I make a sandwich of some sort. Gluten free bread is not something to write home about, usually. So, I just eschew it, for the most part.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for me. If I start the day right, it doesn't matter what I eat the rest of the day, I will be OK.

But, if I shortchange myself or include too many carbs, I will pay for it the rest of the day.

Speaking of which, I am off to correct my low-sugar.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:35:59 pm »
I just got put on Crestor, due to bad LDL (that's the bad cholesterol, isn't it).  I can't take Lipitor.

Low blood sugar sucks.  When my sugar tanks, I shake, sweat and get a little fuzzy mentally.  I always have to eat some sugar to get it back up, then protein to keep it up.

Mark, I'm sorry you're having such a damn hard time.  I know you've been trying, it seems it would pay off at some point.   Wishing you the best in this messed up situation. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »
I just got put on Crestor, due to bad LDL (that's the bad cholesterol, isn't it).  I can't take Lipitor.

Low blood sugar sucks.  When my sugar tanks, I shake, sweat and get a little fuzzy mentally.  I always have to eat some sugar to get it back up, then protein to keep it up.

Mark, I'm sorry you're having such a damn hard time.  I know you've been trying, it seems it would pay off at some point.   Wishing you the best in this messed up situation. :-*

The doctor has brought up the subject of Crestor or Pravastatin. Or, maybe it was Crestor because I took Pravastatin. I know I can't Lipitor or Vytorin, which is Zocor and Zetia combined.

We'll see how it goes.  I am sticking to the Mediterranean style diet, albeit more vegetarian than with meats or poultry, but I can't go totally vegan. I just can't stick to it.

I also hope that watching my fat intake will help prevent any recurrence of my humps. As I mentioned, I take several supplements aimed at helping metabolize fats, etc.

I hear you about the low blood sugar. I get the shakes, I break out in a sweat and I become really mean and nasty if I don't eat quickly.

Then I get a headache, even if I do eat.

Sucks, really.

Anyway, onward and upward.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:55:55 pm by aztecan »

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 07:03:34 pm »
Understand that following what I do wouldn't necessarily work for you but instead of eating all the grapes for breakfast, you pop one in your mouth occasionally in the morning...maybe that would help a little with the blood sugar levels dropping.

Yes, it's spare. There's only me so I tend to simplify my life as much as possible. Plus with my own digestive issues I try not to throw in things that might upset (pun intended) the apple cart.

Best of luck. Hope you get things under control soon...or as close as possible.
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.