Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:25:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772782
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 231
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 228951 times)

Offline Oh501sguy

Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #250 on: February 19, 2009, 11:57:25 pm »
Hi,

My name is Chuck.  A few days ago was Valentine's Day. It was also my 16th anniversary being HIV poz. I'm one of the lucky ones.  I'm 44 and knock on wood I haven't been ill.  My T-Cells have been all over from 300 to 720 where they are now.  Currently undectectable or was at least at my last Doc's appt.  I just did my bloodwork and am going in on Tuesday to see my Doc.  Let's hope all is still good.  My doc switched me from the sustiva combo to Atripla.  I really like it.  Still get the sustiva buzz that helps me relax at night as sustiva is in this one a day pill.

I guess the reason I wanted to "introduce myself" is well... I don't go to the bars, I don't have a lot of friends.  Actually I have very few friends at all.  For the past decade or more I've pretty much closed myself in.  I go to work, come home, go to work come home... bla bla... I work in an office of all women ...and god help them if they haven't figured out I'm gay by now.  Geez... Im the only one who isn't married, has kids etc.  Every staff meeting is a groaner.  Today it was all about potty training their kids!  Or pre staff meeting if you would rather say... we do talk about work! 

In other words, I don't have a circle of friends.  I do have two dear friends whom I email, text or call daily and I've known these people for over 20 years.  Bless them.  But to be honest, I would love to have a circle of friends who can relate to my being poz because they are in the same situation. 

I find myself hanging out in an aol chatroom with a great group of guys that I've never met in person -HIV chatroom.  They are super wonderful.  This christmas we exchanged mail addresses and for the first time in my life I had all of these wonderful cards at Christmas.  I actually cried because it felt so nice that so many of the guys did that.   

It's 11:45pm, I'm in bed with my dog.  I'm feeling pretty alone right now. As I read through some of the postings on this board I see people who whom I would like to get to know.  There is a sense of warmth and caring here.   Usually I have a hard time trusting anyone until I get to know them.  Columbus is a very difficult place to fit in.  Very "cliquish". 

My biggest fear is growing old (er) and ending up alone.  Of course I don't have any family except an older brother and we don't talk.   I'm terrified where I'm going to end up if and when I do become ill.
I think I've had an ok life. Not great at all, but others have had it worse.   

Hey....thanks for letting me ramble -

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2009, 12:43:19 am »
Hi Chuck

Good to hear from you ! Thanks for reaching out to us. I've been around the Forums for about 4 years now and though I don't post much, I always feel welcome and read the posts with keen interest.

I'm fortunate in that I have a supportive partner and friends, most of whom are far from where I live. I keep in touch with them by email and phone calls much like yourself.

I live in a small  beach town on the southeast  coast of Australia and like you, feel isolated at times. The folks in town are friendly enough but are cliquish too, just like your experience in Columbus. I don't have  coworkers as my partner and I have a small B&B. The guests,  who come from all over Australia and the world, are usually quite friendly, but they leave and then it's quiet again. I really love the peaceful environment here,  the bush and beach, but sometimes I yearn for more  social interaction.

I've found the people here at the forums here very supportive and really like a family though I don't know them well personally. I think that if you hang out a bit here, you may find the same thing. I guess we take our friends where we find them. Thank God for the Internet. It does help me feel more connected. Thanks too to Peter Staley who founded Aidsmeds all those years ago.

Feel free to PM me Chuck if you like. I'm far away in terms of geography but also just a few keystrokes away.

Take good  care of your self, okay ?

(((((HUGS)))))
Paul

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #252 on: February 20, 2009, 11:37:11 am »
Hey Chuck,

Welcome aboard.

I live in Aztec, a small town in northwest New Mexico. OK, I live in the middle of nowhere, but its a fun nowhere. ;)

Feel free to join in, ramble on, or just share a good laugh - or a groan when the feeling hits you.

Glad you are here.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: February 20, 2009, 06:29:07 pm »
Hey Chuck,

Welcome!  You know, sometimes I wonder about what it's going to be like as I keep getting older and older, but I try not to stay in that place too long, because I can also project, and that usually turns out not good. 

Anyway, like Mark said, just join in.  Glad you introduced yourself and I hope to see more from you.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline crag

« Reply #254 on: February 23, 2009, 12:26:33 pm »
Hi.

From NYC. Got poz in 1985/1986 in the US Army. Left the Army in like 1989 (end of the year). Went back to NYC. Didn't really have any issues until like 1994. My face stated to swell. Turned out to be KS under the skin. Did some cemo (ABV) which took care of of the KS in a weekend.

I tolerated that shit (ABV) for a year. Finally in May of 1995 I fell out on Fire island. And it was all down hill from there. Left NYC in September of 1995 with like 10 T-cells and weighed 110LBS (I was a big circuit bunny weighing 200lbs just 6 months earlier). Had a host of illnesses. The KS came back with a vengeance. CMV had hit my eyes and stomach, and various other shit you get when your immune system is in the toilet. I even had a port for easy access. Used to access it myself cause most didn't have a clue.   That was a relief actually. I got SO over being stuck twice a day while in the hospital.

Basically i came to South Florida to die in my mother's arms. Didn't turn out that way. With the help of the Palm Beach VA, and her care I managed to hang on till 1996/1997. With the *new* drugs I bounced back and  here I am.

Almost all of the issues I have now are side effects. Some have been serious (requiring various surgeries).  Took me years to FINALLY accept the fact that i was probably  gonna live past 50 (probably even past 60). So back at life I suppose. Though I admit I see life very different now. Which is good.

Anyway this is the short short version. My way of giving yawl a shout out.

-Crag (Stephen)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:07:37 pm by crag »

Offline PRMike

« Reply #255 on: February 23, 2009, 05:16:29 pm »
Hi Crag, I'm glad to see that your hanging in there and it looks like your a fighter which is a good thing..
I hope that I will not offened you with what I'm going to say but I sence a lot of anger from your post and in my opinon you should try to let that anger go and try to live the best way you can,,, the reason I say this is because I got to a point that i was so tired of life that I tried to commit suicide, now I mustadmit that I was using Drugs at the time..
anyway I hope and pray that you will be alright and remember that here you have some friends ok bye for now always PRMike
PRMike

Offline crag

« Reply #256 on: February 23, 2009, 05:53:19 pm »
Hi Crag, I'm glad to see that your hanging in there and it looks like your a fighter which is a good thing..
I hope that I will not offened you with what I'm going to say but I sence a lot of anger from your post and in my opinon you should try to let that anger go and try to live the best way you can,,, the reason I say this is because I got to a point that i was so tired of life that I tried to commit suicide, now I mustadmit that I was using Drugs at the time..
anyway I hope and pray that you will be alright and remember that here you have some friends ok bye for now always PRMike

Thanks for your concern. But I am far from angry. I just come acrsss as "hard". :) I mean, like everyone else I've about had it with the American idea of health care, but who hasn't?

Dealing with death so close, for years has a way of calming you down. You realize what is really important. And frankly, I consider all this time after 1996 as gravy. I never expected to live so long. And now it looks like I'll even live longer.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: February 23, 2009, 08:18:38 pm »
Hey Stephen,

Welcome to the forums.  There's tons of good people here, and I hope we get to know you better.  Feel free to jump in anywhere.
 Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #258 on: February 23, 2009, 08:39:25 pm »
Thank you for serving our country and welcome to AIDSmeds.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2009, 09:37:37 am »
Welcome to our forums, Stephen.  Glad you found us!

Peter
Forums Moderator

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #260 on: February 24, 2009, 12:05:59 pm »

Hi Chuck,
It is amazing how many people you can find online, yet can't find a soul in your own hometown.

If I was younger and had the energy and funds, I would be on a constant 'road trip'.. :D  meeting and greeting. Glad you're here,

Ron~

"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2009, 12:08:03 pm »
Hi Stephen,

Wanted to say, Howdy, and welcome you to the forums.

Ron~

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2009, 12:20:14 am »
Hi Stephen

I too want to welcome you to the forums ! I'll look forward to hearing more from you.

Cheers, Paul

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
« Reply #263 on: March 08, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »
Hi there. My name is Darren Mitton. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. I was born in Veedersburg, Indiana (a little one-stoplight town about ah hour west of Indianapolis and an hour hour north of Terre Haute, or 45 minutes south of Lafayette. I first went to college in Vincennes (IN), but was unsatisfied and moved to Danville (IL), where I changed my major over from Broadcasting to Psychology.I then moved to Attica (IN) and then to Williamsport, and settled in Crawfordsville working for a factory. In 1998, I moved to Terre Haute (IN) where I continued my education at Indiana State University in the field of Psychology and went to work for AOL/Aegis-Trilegent.. In 2000, my father passed away..In that time I was dealing with some soul-searching, and moved up to Logansport (IN). While I was working in a factory up there, I was in an industrial accident (luckily, left me with only 1 scar). After that, I moved back to Terre Haute for an short while, and ended up moving down to Byron (GA) in with some really good friends I call "the family".. When my my mother died in December of 2002, I moved back up to Terre Haute and went back to work for AOL/Aegis-Trilegent. I bought a house, and really pulled the 9-to-5 racket.Well, the house ended up being a money pit that drove me into debt and left me homeless with no where to go. Some very good friends of mine (RIP Bert, I love you,bro) asked me to move down to Florida with them and I agreed. Unfortunately, he passed away on the drive down, and after his funeral in Florida I moved back up to live with "the family" that I was lucky enough to have in Byron (GA). I lived and worked there from February 2004 until January of 2006 when THE LAST CASTLE (a specialty retail outlet specializing in gaming RPGs, card games, comics, and anime) shut down. Soon thereafter, I moved up here to Atlanta, in with my friends Hal Doby and Charles Whitenberg. I ended-up moving-in with my best-friend, Doug. 2 years later, I moved back down to the Atlanta area. I'm 35 years old...5'10", 165lbs. Sagittarius. Have 4 tattoos.Hobbies include: reading (fiction to non-), watching movies (particularly horror), RPGing, playing card games,going to concerts (big music buff), camping, and spending time with friends... etc...

Next! *grin*
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #264 on: March 08, 2010, 06:59:30 pm »
Hi Darren (and apologies to everyone for the hijack):

Just wanted to let you know that this particular forum is for long-term survivors only. Have a look here, if you wouldn't mind: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=11166.0

Thanks for understanding,

Tim Horn

Offline Endgame

• I hope I don't catch that again
« Reply #265 on: July 21, 2013, 12:23:00 am »
Hi.
Jonno from London UK here.
I had a diagnosis for HTLV-3 in Feb 1983. My doctor was white as a sheet and shaking when she told me. I guess she wasn't ready to actually get a patient but I knew the result before she did, my first ever date had been one of the first to die in the UK and it was all over the newspapers. My second date and first partner didn't last too long either. I worked as an activist as everybody else did but I was concerned about the trauma that the nursing staff suffered as a result of the fear and stress some of them went through. The girl that was nursing my partner  just walked out of her job at the hospital to come home with us when he got near the end and wanted to be home. When he died she never went back to nursing because she couldn't face dealing with another young guys horrendous death. She must have had PTSD. It was just called stress at the time but it was a serious problem for lots of staff until everybody gained some experience and worked out treatment and nursing protocols.
I was webmaster of NHIVNA (nhivna.org) and because I ran the web site and provided my celebrity boyfriend as patron I got to infiltrate the drug companies and meet the research teams. One day I'll tell everyone what I did to oil things a bit and get the drug research moving.
once we got some molecules to test and ended the secrecy between companies I walked off to get a life. my career was going a bit too well so I pulled it in a bit in case I got well known as I did not want my death to be high profile production.

I did all the trials and puked for years, DDI was the worse stuff, it was like dishwasher tablets that took hours to dissolve properly and we had to down them 6 at a time and then try not to throw up or we had to take them again.
I have been plodding along and didn't really notice the time that has passed. I'm 51 but I look 35 and my skin is like a baby's bum. I think I know why as some of the trials I did were a bit off piste. The toxicity of some of the early molecules was too high to go to into initial healthy volunteer trials. I had nothing to lose at the time so my motto if there was something interesting going on was nick it and neck it. There was no v.l. test to verify results in any case, but there were some amazingly high tech compounds developed then that lead to the possibility of life extension and enhancement drugs being developed now. (oops secrets, too bad)
I quite enjoyed myself as a militant activist and sometimes think that I might have died early from drink and drugs if HIV had not motivated me to look after myself and take life seriously.

I lived quite well for over 20 years without a symptom. the little pills we get now are lovely, and the side effects are trivial.The early Ritonivir/ DDI /AZT dosage caused diarrhoea so explosive it made everybody's asshole burn like a dragons nostril.

I have not even thought about HIV for years. The pills are such an old habit that I throw them down and never think about why I take them. I thought the prejudice against us was gone and equality was taken for granted.
Suddenly my health got a bit worrying and I had run out of money. I expected that I had no worries as it was never a problem to get social care and housing for anybody that needed it the last time I had tried. There were even offers of free holidays in Ibiza if we fancied it.

Was I wrong! My local council have decided to make me homeless as they have taken things too far and treat HIV as a controlled condition. The policy is to ignore doctors advice and use the localism act to withdraw all social care from HIV infected people. even the Terrence Higgins trust was unprepared when I called them. The staff there have never seen a person with full blown aids and think that Terrence was born in the time of Newton, they even made a grainy black and white pic for the website to distance his image from the trendy content they provide. i just have a bit of fatigue and nerve damage and had been stuck in a chair after being attacked by a large dog. I asked for some help getting some food and nursing care but they  had no idea what to do with me, so they left me there for 3 days and then told me that my condition was too complex for them, and that they did not think there were any people like me left. That pissed me off big time but I got the same response from over 20 other charities. They tick boxes on the computer and have meetings, then give up. If I mention the fact that people in HIV charity work would get on a bus and go wipe up a strangers shit not so long ago, they get offended. They just give out badges and the sort of advice that anybody else can get from Google. I asked what the THT crisis fund was for and got no reply. I complained and received an apology for not replying to my mail but it has still not been replied to. A former worker has told me that it is now used as the Christmas Bollinger fund. I would not be surprised if that was true after speaking with some of the staff there.
I really don't want to start another round of campaigns at my time of life but I can't let this behaviour continue so I have applied to the Guinness book of records to be acknowledged as the longest survivor in the UK. My application has been accepted pending verification, and If I succeed I can use it to get some publicity and hope to raise some awareness that HIV did not go away and is going to be shouting loudly to prove it. If anybody else in London wants to do some old school egg throwing, shaming and blackmailing to change things back again, get in touch.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #266 on: July 21, 2013, 08:25:46 am »
Hi Jonno.
What a great opening post!
Living in the US, I am not familiar with any of the organizations that you mentioned but it sounds like a sad state of affairs.
Kudos to you in regard to your activism!
Having been poz since October 1982, I can relate to much of what you said. The good and the not so good. It's nice to see that you retained your sense of humor through all of this. :)
I'm sorry to hear about your current situation.
Wish you the best!
Oh, and welcome to the forums!
Mitch
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline flaconvert

« Reply #267 on: July 25, 2013, 03:02:40 pm »
Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with HIV in January of 1989. I have been healthy for the most part although i do struggle with major depression. I live in central Florida and work in the health care field. I am looking forward to participating in the LTS forum. Hope to meet some local HIVers as well.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2013, 04:34:12 pm »
Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with HIV in January of 1989. I have been healthy for the most part although i do struggle with major depression. I live in central Florida and work in the health care field. I am looking forward to participating in the LTS forum. Hope to meet some local HIVers as well.
Hi Convert!
I can't remember if I've welcomed you yet  ::) but if so, here's another. :)
This forum has been very helpful in to me in so many ways. I'm sure it will for you as well.
We're an odd bunch (maybe I should speak for myself) but the advice and support can't be beat.
Glad you joined us!
m.

Offline Jr

« Reply #269 on: December 13, 2013, 01:19:17 am »
Hi. Not sure if this thread still gets noticed or not, but decided to introduce myself.  I'm from California and was diagnosed back in 1991, just shy of my 18th birthday.  Life has become more lonely over the years and I am hoping to change that for myself.  I don't have much of a support structure of friends or family in my life, so I thought I would try out these forums as a first step.  See you all around the forums.  :)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #270 on: December 13, 2013, 03:52:39 am »
Hi. Not sure if this thread still gets noticed or not, but decided to introduce myself.  I'm from California and was diagnosed back in 1991, just shy of my 18th birthday.  Life has become more lonely over the years and I am hoping to change that for myself.  I don't have much of a support structure of friends or family in my life, so I thought I would try out these forums as a first step.  See you all around the forums.  :)

Hi Jr, welcome to the forums! :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #271 on: December 14, 2013, 04:16:01 pm »
Jr,

This is a great place to give and receive support. Welcome! :)

m.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #272 on: December 15, 2013, 07:59:52 am »
Welcome Jr 

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline wolfter

« Reply #273 on: December 15, 2013, 08:05:33 am »
Welcome Jr.  There's a great amount of knowledge and support here.  Hope to hear more from ya.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Fisher

« Reply #274 on: December 15, 2013, 02:26:43 pm »
Hi My Nickname is Fisher. I am 57. Likely HIV+ since December ’82. Have been very fortunate for many, many years. Till about a year ago when the virus found a way around my natural resistance.

Since that shock, I have been twice as fortunate, coming back to full life, reaching out for joy and happiness and fun and laughter in every moment. Lost 30 pounds on purpose. Fell in love for the first time in my life. Still involved with research studies at the National Institutes of Health. Met many great people from this site in the last nine months.  Wonderful people with golden hearts.

Finally having to confront HIV, I was forced to confront my own self. And I made the choice to live a life well worth living. Rather than taking it, HIV gave me my life back. I’ze a crazy bear, now, but a very happy bear, indeed!
- fisher
06/15 CD 365 %24 VL<20
01/15 CD 468 %24 VL<20
09/14 CD 385 %22 VL<20
07/14 CD 391 %20 VLUD
04/14 CD 486 %23 VL<20
11/13 CD 351 %21  VL<20
10/13 CD 390 %16  VL<20
06/13 CD 315 %19  VL 22
02/13 CD 396 %14  VL<20
12/12 CD 392 %13  VL320
11/12 CD 428 %13  VL1200
*Started Meds: Atripla
10/12 CD 427 %11  VL 139000 -- 09/12 CD 408 %13 VL 92928
09/11 CD 745 %27 VL CLOT -- 10/10 CD 863 %29 VL 2782
10/09 CD 597 %30 VL 2537 -- 05/08 CD 809 %28 VL 1504
04/07 CD 797 %25 VL 3558 -- 11/06 CD 720 %28 VL 1214
06/05 CD 731 %25 VL 1575 -- 12/04 CD 1176 %30 VL 1329
01/04 CD 959 %26 VL 1011 -- 11/03 CD 1000 %28 VL 1581
12/02 CD 748 %28 -- 10/01 CD 860 %25
08/00 CD 1022 %28 -- 04/99 CD 854 %27
11/98 CD 899 %28 -- 02/97 CD 1400 %37
11/96 CD 1325  VL <500 -- 09/96 – Western Blot
05/83 – 04/98 - Mon - Pa

Offline neb_top

• lts and alone
« Reply #275 on: January 11, 2014, 12:11:21 am »
hello; i'm Jim and tested poz dec 1987.

dec 2013 25th anniversary.

i've been through lots and lots and lots. azt saved my life despite me having trouble tolerating it.  mostly thinking and looking at milk make me extremely nauseous.

feel free to write me.  i'll write more.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2014, 06:41:56 pm »
Welcome neb-top!

Offline livingmmy9lives

« Reply #277 on: February 02, 2014, 05:37:40 pm »
My name is Charlie. I was diagnosed with hiv in 1988 when I was 23 and aids in 1995. I'm 49 now. Nearly everyone I knew who was positive at the time are now dead. I happened to live in the right place at the right time and was lucky enough to get on an saquinavir study which I believe saved my life. Having hiv/aids has been and continues to be a bit of a health rollercoaster ride. I went on disability in 1996 and returned to work for a while but it didn't work out well and was impacting my health negatively so I left permanently. I wish I was consistently well enough to be working and making money because I do not enjoy being poor and it gets harder to get by every year. My major health issues presently are chronic fatigue, anxiety, depression, painful neuropathy and chronic insomnia. Recently I was told that there was something wrong with my hypothalmus or pituitary glad and may have a brain tumor but tests show no tumor & then last week I went to the dentist & he found a purple mark inside my mouth and is saying worst case scenario it could be oral cancer (irony being I have never been a cigarette smoker) and it's taking me 2 an 1/2 month to get in to see a doctor to get it checked out which is frustrating. A question for you long term survivors - is it normal to feel totally drained of energy nearly every day? I used to drink coffee to give me energy but I am very sensitive to caffeine and it contributes to my anxiety. I live in Rhode Island with my partner of almost 5 years who is also a long-term survivor. We have a cat and a dog.  Are there other long-term survivors here from my area?
Diagnosed 1988.

Offline livingmmy9lives

« Reply #278 on: February 02, 2014, 05:40:10 pm »
Hey Jim - Neb-top: I haven't heard from you in a while and wondering if you are alright? Like a dummy I never saved your e-mail address. Charlie.
Diagnosed 1988.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #279 on: February 02, 2014, 06:12:24 pm »
livingmmy9lives, are you on medication(s) for anxiety, depression and insomnia?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline roxiewrites

• Born + in '84. Orphaned by AIDS in '95.
    • Roxie Prince — Author, poet, artist.
« Reply #280 on: March 22, 2014, 05:46:12 am »
Hello everyone. My name is Roxie, and I am 29 years old. I live in the Houston area, Texas. I was born with the virus in 1984, but not diagnosed until 1989. I lost both of my parents to AIDS as a child. My mom when I was 7 (1992), and my dad when I was 10 (1995). I have one younger brother by four years who is HIV negative.

I have been on treatment for basically my entire life, and have always been pretty healthy, especially in my adult life. I've been undectable for about 4 years now, and it's wonderful. I'm currently on Selzentry and Intelence, but I've taken (and built resistance to) just about every drug out there. I developed lipodystrophy a few years ago, and it has been it's own separate level of hell to learn to live with, but I'm managing. 

I have been with my partner for almost 15 years (yep, since I was 14, haha), and he is HIV negative. It's been hard, dealing with acceptance and understanding from his family over the years, but we've gotten through it.

I also suffer from bipolar disorder, agoraphobia, social anxiety, and panic attacks, so as much as I hate it, I'm on SSI. I'm a writer and artist though, and spend my days painting and working to finish two novels I am currently in almost done with and tons of short stories. I've got one book out there in the world already.

I joined this forum because I know no one like me in my real life, and while I have a great support system in my partner and my family, I just feel so very isolated and alone so much of the time. I've been reading through posts here, while I waited for my membership to get approved, and it was so nice to see that there are other people who understand my daily struggles, as awful as it is that we all have them to face. It's so tiring and lonely when you feel like no one understands you your whole life.

Anyway, thanks for reading this, and I hope you're all having a happy day. :)
Always,
Roxie
"The creative adult is the child who has survived." - Ursula K. Le Guin

Offline AusShep

« Reply #281 on: March 22, 2014, 09:47:02 am »
Welcome Roxie, I really look forward to reading your input and perspective on threads.  I've been back in Houston for a couple of years now, good to see another local. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #282 on: March 22, 2014, 11:51:05 am »
Hi Roxie!

I'm sure you will find terrific support here. Boy, you've been through so much for someone so young. It's nice to hear that despite your challenges that you found a couple of great ways to express your creative talents.

Welcome to the forums!

m.   

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #283 on: March 22, 2014, 01:47:47 pm »
Hi Roxie, welcome!!   As Mitch said, you have been through hell for someone so young.  My daughter was also born in 1984.  She's HIV-, I contracted HIV from her father after she was born.  But her father died in 1989, the same time I found out my status. 

I can relate to your anxiety, agoraphobia, and panic.  Sometimes when I'm out driving they get so bad I have to pull over.  I'm glad you've found some outlets in your writing and painting.  I would love to see your paintings. 

There are great people here who will be more than supportive.  I hope to hear more from you!

Betty

Offline roxiewrites

• Born + in '84. Orphaned by AIDS in '95.
    • Roxie Prince — Author, poet, artist.
« Reply #284 on: March 22, 2014, 07:39:20 pm »
Thank you all for the warm welcome. :) I'm so happy to be here.

AusShep, I'm glad to know another local too! I'm actually in Stinkadena, but it's close enough. ;)

Mitch777, thank you. I think if I hadn't been through it all, I wouldn't have so much to be creative with, so in a bizarre way is a messed up blessing. Heh.

BT65, I'm sorry you lost your husband and your daughter her father, but I'm glad to hear she is negative. It's hard for the negative folks in a family with postive people too, I know, from having watched my brother's perspective. And I'm sorry you understand about the panic. Ugh. It's such an awful thing to have to handle, but it is what it is, I guess just like everything else. :)

I am excited to get to know you all!
Always,
Roxie
"The creative adult is the child who has survived." - Ursula K. Le Guin

Offline TJpoz1959

• TJ
« Reply #285 on: March 23, 2014, 05:51:03 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site, but not Poz or being Poz.  I'm 54 living in Maryland and have been positive since 1985 (I think).  Like so many of us here, it has been a long road.  I have been fortunate, despite the losses along the way, and I am grateful to still be standing.  I look forward to getting to know you and to read your stories and share mine.  Until then,

Ciao -- TJ
Ciao, TJ

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #286 on: March 23, 2014, 11:52:13 pm »
Hello TJ! Welcome to the club, even if it is a club none of us really wants to be a member of. LOL

There sure is a lot around here for you to read, that's for sure. LOL Everybody's got a story and everyone's opinionated about the stuff they care about.

Hope you're doing okay as Spring is supposedly arriving in the States. When the, obviously delirious, weatherman here outside of Charlotte uttered the word snowflake tonight I simply turned the TV off. ;) LOL take care and stay warm until Spring finally does arrive.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: March 24, 2014, 06:20:05 pm »
Welcome, TJ.  Look forward to hearing more from and about you!

Betty

Offline cjmchgo

• Dx 1992
« Reply #288 on: March 26, 2014, 10:47:05 am »
Hey everyone,
My name is Craig, I’m 43, and I’m originally from Grand Rapids, MI. When I was 21, I met an older guy in Chicago and moved to Chicago to be with him, and of course to be in Chicago. He swore he didn’t know he was infected after I tested positive in August 1992, at 21 years old. Maybe he didn’t, who knows, I guess it takes two to tango. I was completely and utterly terrified after my diagnosis. I saw most all my close friends back in Grand Rapids go through horrific deaths from AIDS and I just knew that was my fate also.
Throughout the 90’s I immersed myself in the Chicago club scene. This helped me handle the extreme anxiety I had daily with thinking I was dying of HIV. I also starting going to support groups during this time (TPA) and met others living with HIV which really gave me the strength and encouragement to “live” with HIV. In 1999 I wanted to work with the HIV community in some capacity so I got a job as an HIV outreach worker at Howard Brown Health Center in Chicago where I would work for close to 10 years. Unlike most of my friends, I wasn’t getting sick from HIV and my t-cell count stayed relatively stable and always had a very low viral load  (whenever they started doing VL testing) without medications. It was at HBHC that my life changed drastically. I met people who encouraged me to go back to school and live for my future. I met my current partner in 2006, went back to school and became a registered nurse, and wow, I’m still here all these years later. I do have a little survivor’s guilt and still think about all the people I lost but today is SUCH a different day. I’m currently living in Oklahoma City with my partner. I’m taking Isentress/Truvada and doing really well for someone living with HIV for 22 years.  

April/May, 1992: Infected at age 21
Aug 31, 1992: Tested positive
Sep 8, 1992 T-cells 977, 43%
1993-1998: T-cells 675-800
1999-2001: T-cells 500-600
2000-2004: T-cells 425-525 23% VL 500-2000
2005-2008: T-cells 275-375, 20%, VL 950-2500
December 2008: Started Atripla
Dec 2009: T-cells 637, 33%, VL UD
Dec 2010: T-cells 544, 35%, VL UD
Dec 2011: T-cells 596, 41%, VL UD
January 2, 2012 stopped Atripla (CNS issues)
January 4, 2012 started Isentress/Truvada
March 25, 2014 I/T t-cells 673, VL undetectable
Dec 2018- Tivicay/Descovy
Sept 2021- Biktarvy

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: March 26, 2014, 05:23:37 pm »
Hi Cj, welcome to the long termer's section. 

How on earth did you end up in Oklahoma City after living in Michigan and Chicago?  Asking because I was raised in Niles, Michigan/South Bend, Indiana, and have spent a good deal of time in Chicago.  Anyway, I moved to Alabama twice, but ended up back in the South Bend area.  Just wondered what drew you to that area of the country, and if you like it better than the North.

I'm glad you found us, and look forward to hearing more!

Betty

Offline cjmchgo

• Dx 1992
« Reply #290 on: March 26, 2014, 07:41:53 pm »
Hey Betty! I'm very familiar with Niles, South Bend, and Benton Harbor area. I've only been in OKC a little over a month. I moved down here with my partner for a job opportunity. Trust me, it wasn't easy, lol. We will be here for no more than 2 years then hopefully back to the upper Midwest, our home. :) Although, it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I'm more anxious about the storms. How did you like living in Chicago? People either love it or hate it. Nice to meet you Betty. Craig
April/May, 1992: Infected at age 21
Aug 31, 1992: Tested positive
Sep 8, 1992 T-cells 977, 43%
1993-1998: T-cells 675-800
1999-2001: T-cells 500-600
2000-2004: T-cells 425-525 23% VL 500-2000
2005-2008: T-cells 275-375, 20%, VL 950-2500
December 2008: Started Atripla
Dec 2009: T-cells 637, 33%, VL UD
Dec 2010: T-cells 544, 35%, VL UD
Dec 2011: T-cells 596, 41%, VL UD
January 2, 2012 stopped Atripla (CNS issues)
January 4, 2012 started Isentress/Truvada
March 25, 2014 I/T t-cells 673, VL undetectable
Dec 2018- Tivicay/Descovy
Sept 2021- Biktarvy

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #291 on: March 27, 2014, 03:34:47 am »
This is a very belated WELCOME to all the new folk who have posted , for some unknown reason after 4 years off activity in this forum I only opened the thread yesterday.

It has been a moving experience reading through it.

Anyway it will now be regularly checked for the red new marker.

m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: March 28, 2014, 08:37:18 am »
Hey Betty! I'm very familiar with Niles, South Bend, and Benton Harbor area. I've only been in OKC a little over a month. I moved down here with my partner for a job opportunity. Trust me, it wasn't easy, lol. We will be here for no more than 2 years then hopefully back to the upper Midwest, our home. :) Although, it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I'm more anxious about the storms. How did you like living in Chicago? People either love it or hate it. Nice to meet you Betty. Craig

Oh, I didn't live in Chicago.  I just traveled there for specific reasons, like to go to Lincoln Park Zoo, or score dope (when I was much younger).   I think Chicago has a lot to do, so if someone likes fast paced life, that would be an ideal place.  However, if someone likes a more laid back, easier paced life, then I don't think Chicago would work.

Offline mrtoad

« Reply #293 on: August 17, 2014, 05:27:23 pm »
Hello everyone, Lee here.I'm 43, live in the tundra of western Wisconsin.back after 10 yrs in central fl.tested poz in 89 when the guy i was dating started looking bad.from the beginning i had asked if he had recently tested but..well.I don't believe he knew he had it,but hadn't really been tested.I had no idea hiv was so spread out and so many had it at that time. C. Everett Coop is a hero in my book.it hasn't been a easy road watching people die etc.But the alternative isn't so hot either, So I chug along.Just trying to figure out what to do with the rest since I may live after all.
Lee
prezista with a kick from norvir,
Truvada, Intellence. celexa,xanax.Revolving statin

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #294 on: August 17, 2014, 07:04:20 pm »
C. Everett Coop is a hero in my book
Welcome Toadie! Koop was the best  ;)

So I chug along.Just trying to figure out what to do with the rest since I may live after all.
add "ride more roller coasters" to your bucket list ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline timmm55

• Unapologetically HIV Undetectable
« Reply #295 on: September 07, 2014, 03:33:43 pm »
New to the site, but POZ is old news! LOL

Diagnosed in San Diego 1985 I think, maybe early 86.  I had already lost an ex boyfriend so I wasn't surprised. My chiropractor Joe first noticed my swollen lymph nodes and oral thrush...that was as bad as it ever got.  Joe recommended a holistic approach. It was his best friend, Victor "Tito" that died so suddenly. Tito was a really fit 43, worked out, softball, Over the line, etc. He went into the hospital and never came out. I was 28, but so naive I didn't know what "ICU" was. 

I was dating Jimmy when Tito died. Joe never told me he was POZ and died within a year. I quickly chucked the holistic crap! I "fired" my regular doctor when he said I had 2 years to live.

Later I dated Larry, who was a Lt. Com. Dentist in the Navy. I started the early AZT trials, but the low dose level....based on Navy trials. Only had a problem with a few meds later. Crixivan: kidney stones and "Crix Shits" and Sustiva "dreams". My Ts were always around 700 even then. After several years they started slowly dropping to 400. I started the  the cocktail and they shot up to 1600 at one point.

I've been undetectable even before I knew what it was. Ts are 1000 and all blood work is "normal". The worst problem was cholesterol, but even that is good now.

I was POZ by the second photo! Puts my life in perspective!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:36:36 pm by timmm55 »

Offline CMylight

« Reply #296 on: March 27, 2016, 01:36:46 pm »
Hello all LTS's. I am very happy to have found and be apart of this special forum for LTS. I am at times wondered, if we were ancient and forgotten.No one can tell the days of the beginning better than us who have been around this epidemic for some time. We all know by now HIV/AIDS is no longer the death sentence it once was back in the 80's.Todays generation are bless and benefiting from the struggles of our pioneers.I believe we must stress the importance of education and prevention to those infected as well affected.I am a African American male that has been diagnosed and living with HIV/AIDS since 1985. I was in such denied and unaccepting for a long time. The media said it was a gay white man disease ( GRID ). Little did I know and realize it's not who you are but would you do that leads into becoming infected. The same thing concerning MSM the white gay men were doing, I was also doing the same. I mean ouch!!!! I kept my secret for 16 long years being infected.Today I accept my status and doing very well with treatment. HiV is what I have but not who I am.Acceptance, education, and freedom of expression as set me free today. The journey continues until there is a cure.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: March 29, 2016, 03:23:20 pm »
Hi CM,
Welcome to the LTS"ers forum!  Nice to hear from you.  My name is Betty and I'm one of the moderators.  I've been diagnosed since '89.  Going through a rough patch but I will get out of it (you know how we do sometimes).  Hope to hear more from you!

Betty

Offline harleymc

« Reply #298 on: March 29, 2016, 11:31:46 pm »
Welcome CMy.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: March 29, 2016, 11:47:25 pm »
Welcome Cm !

( GRID )  That's an ugly term we would all like to forget !

Look forward to hearing more from you,

Best,Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.