Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:18:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 316
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 308
Total: 308

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV and reduced carb diet....  (Read 13882 times)

Offline puertorico2006

HIV and reduced carb diet....
« on: October 05, 2007, 03:30:53 am »
Does anyone know about the effects a low carb diet has on viral load, CD4+, and immune system in general???

I have been doing a low carb diet for the past 2 weeks or so and have already gotten back down to the weight i like to be at, im 175 now and was up to 185 or a bit more for a while because i ate like a pig....

Sweets tend to be addictive for me so once i start eating them i cant stop, same goes for pasta and high carb foods (even if its not sugar) so when i cut them out i do much better when weight is concerned...

I started working out again so i do have like 20-30g simple sugars right after my workouts so i dont have sore muscles the next day...

Parts of the day i feel kind of weak/tired but that always happens when you go on a diet and lose fat because i guess that caloric defecit runs you down.....

Anyways back to the question...does cutting carbs have any effect on someone HIV+?
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
Re: HIV and reduced carb diet....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 12:05:16 pm »
Hi there guapo...

Simple carbs really do not have nutritional value (refined sugars and flour) so I don't think a low carb diet will have a negative impact on you.  I am a sugar freak myself ( i could go days on eating chocolate alone).
Just make sure that you are adding good complex carbs such as whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.

Take care of yourself

Hugs

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 04:00:32 pm »
Hi puertorico2006,

I found your post quite interesting:

- Both have been contaminated almost at the same time
You said dec 06, and its between Jun 06 and May 07

- We have almost the same count (I have CD4: 509 / VL: 1732)

- We both are doing sport (low carb diet)

and finally the same questions.

I don't have the answers to your questions, but I'm 200% convinced that  sport + diet, maybe not for everybody, but for some (and I believe you and me are part of those) it help to maintain the counts we have.

Could it be because to do sport + diet, the required mind is having a positive impact on the fight against the HIV, maybe its due to the food (hyper protein + hypo caloric + very low carbs for me), maybe any others reasons or all of them.

So even if its too early to conclude anything, one thing is sure:
I'll continue sport + diet, and probably continue later on to eat hyper protein.

I also take every day a cocktail of vitamins + minerals + nutrients (since 3 months) and drink daily a fair amount of green tea.
I also eat 3-4 time per week fish (tuna, salmon) or shrimps.

I have lost 25 pounds in 2 months, 1h30 cycling 70-80% HCM 6 time/week + weight training 6x/week.

I'm providing all these details because I'm convinced that it have definitely a favorable effect on my condition.

So if others want to try, here are the infos.

And if others have try, it will be very interesting if they could share their results (counts) as well as their general feeling on the impact of their lifestyle on their counts.

Offline puertorico2006

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 04:22:32 am »
Hi there guapo...

Simple carbs really do not have nutritional value (refined sugars and flour) so I don't think a low carb diet will have a negative impact on you.  I am a sugar freak myself ( i could go days on eating chocolate alone).
Just make sure that you are adding good complex carbs such as whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.

Take care of yourself

Hugs

Rich

well actually ive cut out most complex cabrs out also (thats kind of the point of the diet)....so ive been living off veggies and meats ....

but im feeling ok and havent gotten sick yet so i guess its not too bad
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 04:41:22 pm »
guapito.....
I understand that a low carb diet is often NECESSARY with HIV to control cholesterol levels.  So it makes no sense that a low carb diet is harmful. My partner is on a low carb diet and it drives me crazy because we used to have pasta and rice regularly, but other than that he seems to benefit.  His cholesterol levels are good now.
I think you can do anything you want with your diet as long as you keep it within reason...no extreems.  Cheat regularly...lol.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:50:11 pm »
Hola mi hijo,

As Joel said, low carb is often a good thing for us hi-fivers. I am  planning on going on one myself because this viejito is getting too much tonage to be comfortable.

I gained eight pounds while in San Francisco. I don't know how, but I did.

Everything in moderation. It sounds like you are doing things right.

HUGS,

Mark

Who sounds way too much like a priest in this post.

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline John2038

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 04:01:40 pm »
As it seems for some that what is good for the body is good for the virus as well, can we say there is a better way than an others (without considering the extreme) ?

Offline TheBorg

• The Borg is in the House!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 10:33:41 am »
Interesting, processed foods are not great for anyone I imagine.

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 12:43:36 pm »
im 175 now and was up to 185 or a bit more for a while because i ate like a pig....

Sweets tend to be addictive for me so once i start eating them i cant stop, same goes for pasta and high carb foods (even if its not sugar) so when i cut them out i do much better when weight is concerned...

I started working out again so i do have like 20-30g simple sugars right after my workouts so i dont have sore muscles the next day...

Hi,

You know you've put on weight by eating too much, why not cut down on food and exercise more, without a special diet that is, by definition, unbalanced?

Sugars:

Carbohydrates are sugar, albeit in a form that takes time for the body to process; because of this slow breakdown into glucose, they are ideal for endurance sports.  It turns out that endurance sports are the best to burn fat because it takes a good 20 to 30 minutes for the body to burn through its stock of available glucose, before it has to start using the reserves of glucose it stored as fat.

when you eat simple sugars, sweets or drink sodas, you are giving your body an amount of sugar it can not use readily; because levels of glucose in your blood are strictly controlled by you body, as soon as these rapidly processed sugars flood your veins, the body converts the rest into ... fat, for later use.

If you want to avoid sore muscles, drink a lot of water, stretch after working those muscles and get a massage; it will all contribute to the flushing of the waste built up in your muscles because of the exercise.

Could it be because to do sport + diet, the required mind is having a positive impact on the fight against the HIV, maybe its due to the food (hyper protein + hypo caloric + very low carbs for me), maybe any others reasons or all of them.

So even if its too early to conclude anything, one thing is sure:
I'll continue sport + diet, and probably continue later on to eat hyper protein.

I also take every day a cocktail of vitamins + minerals + nutrients (since 3 months) and drink daily a fair amount of green tea.
I also eat 3-4 time per week fish (tuna, salmon) or shrimps.

I have lost 25 pounds in 2 months, 1h30 cycling 70-80% HCM 6 time/week + weight training 6x/week.

That regular exercise and a balanced diet is good for the body is a given. It will help in keeping a healthy heart, lungs and possibly liver, all things we need in our life with hiv. I am not sure it takes a special frame of mind to live healthily or attempt to. Overeating or starving are usually signs of psychological issues which can be addressed.

As for Hyper / Hypo diets, save for people who have health problems related to the absorption of food or a hormone imbalance, they are not balanced at all. If your only problem today is to be hiv+ , I wonder if such extreme diets and exercise regimen are at all good for you. Exhausting your body through over exerting it will not flush it from the hiv but will certainly end up weakening it. And whilst looking supermuscular seems to satisfy some people, I doubt it has any effect on their CD4's and VL.

I've always exercised regularly and have a reasonably balanced diet and healthy lifestyle. This did not prevent my CD4's from tumbling down, my VL from shooting up. I still had to go on HAART 36 months after I was infected.

hope this helps,

Pat (just back from a 2 hours bicycle ride)
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline John2038

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 05:48:17 pm »

Pat (just back from a 2 hours bicycle ride)

I like the conclusion  ;D

Otherwise I'd like to create a community of people doing sport more than the average of the population.
No extreme, just a continuous, healthy and controlled training plan (see http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=16322.0)
If you want to join (blog and much more), you are welcome (free of course).

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 08:16:56 am »
Just a clarification...

I understand that a low carb diet is often NECESSARY with HIV to control cholesterol levels.

Actually, low-carb dieting is known for its effect on triglyceride levels, not so much cholesterol levels. Reducing the intake of animal products -- dairy, eggs, and meat -- is the dietary approach to reducing cholesterol levels.

Cheers,

Tim Horn

Offline bear60

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 02:26:55 pm »
Thanks Tim. I believe it is, in fact, triglyceride levels that my partner is trying to control.  But he also is not eating eggs and cheese.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 10:56:18 am by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 06:02:55 pm »
Hey PRico
From your hot picture, you don't look like you need to lose any weight at all...perhaps you should post a more revealing photo shoot so we can help you decide :P

I love carbs myself, but constantly try and control it so it doesn't go to the belly.  planning to try a BB suplement that is supposed to increase the efficiency of insulin use in the muscles and block fat at the same time. sounds like hype, but we'll see.  Hopefully it won't do anything bad...
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Offline richie

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 10:34:36 pm »
I can testify that I have done the low-carb diet for years (for at least 4-month periods at a time) with -0- effect on my HIV.  It does help to lose the weight, but personally I cannot do it long-term (life it too short with or without HIV, and self-mediicating with pasta, bread, desserts, etc. is just toooooooo good!)

My Doctor doesn't like the low-carb approach just on general grounds, not because of any affect on HIV, but he does see the results and can't really argue.  He would prefer to South-Beach, but I'm not a veggie fan at all (so Atkins fits me perfectly).

Personally, I find the low-carb approach only works for me because if I do it, I don't get hungry.  Stop the glucose, and the pangs just go away, hence the lower calorie days can continue longer.  Ultimately, it is really only about taking in less calories than we expend in a day/week anyway.  That's the bottom line.  I do admit to working out 4 - 5 days per week with weights, but that's because it's just a habit and I'm hoping it helps the cholesterol, keeps the muscles toned, and wards off lipo.  I'm 50, and at ~155 (5'8") with this fairly consistent approach.

As Opus from Bloom County said long ago, just eat less, exercise more.  Ultimately, however you can accomplish it, it does work!

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 03:07:57 am »
...it's just a habit and I'm hoping it helps the cholesterol, keeps the muscles toned, and wards off lipo. 

Richie,

Exercise does not ward off lipo, not in my experience. It does not prevent one from losing fat. And it only seems to have marginal effects on fat accumulation, since it will only affect subcutaneous fat and seems to have no action whatsoever on lipomas.
But even with lipo, regular exercise keeps one's body healthy and helps with a self image that is threatened by lipo (but that's a mind thing...).

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.