Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:23:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 510
Total: 511

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is anyone taking Maraviroc once daily  (Read 7468 times)

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
Is anyone taking Maraviroc once daily
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:04:56 pm »

I am taking Maraviroc twice daily and would like to know if anyone is taking this drug once daily?

Cheers

TB
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline surf18

Re: Is anyone taking Maraviroc once daily
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 12:40:16 pm »
I'm on it twice daily. It's not approved once daily.

Offline Tempeboy

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:21:10 am »
  Thanks surf18,

I was interested to hear if anyone was taking Maraviroc once daily 'off label'.

Some take it once daily with a PI - which I would prefer not to take.

Keen to hear of any personal accounts.
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 03:13:39 pm »
Indeed, some people do do this with a boosted PI, but it's a very small number. There was a small study with boosted atazanavir:

http://www.natap.org/2011/Pharm/Pharm_13.htm

But it wasn't followed up cos it didn't work very well longer term. Researchers are moving on to maraviroc and boosted darunavir, but my question here is, why not just do boosted darunavir monotherapy, for maybe this is what is doing the work, the boosted PI?

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline surf18

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:10:23 pm »
for what its worth I'm on it with truvada

Offline Tempeboy

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 01:55:58 am »
Thanks Newt and Surf18,

I am keen to continue Maraviroc as part of my combo, seems that has some interesting neurological benefits. 

Happy to take it once or twice a day, as I take Lyrica twice a day so the twice a day thing is not an issue - never has been really.

TB

Dean Kiley

Offline Matts

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 10:38:42 am »
I take Maraviroc 150mg once daily since Aug 2009. At first with Reyataz, but I couldnt stand the hyperbilirubinemia, so I switeched to boosted Prezista. It is in Phase V as far as I know.
I want to replace the Prezista with Dolutegravir in the future, to get rid of the Norvir.
A Prezista Monotherapy sounds interesting, but I dont have the courage to try it at the moment.

http://www.natap.org/2011/IAS/IAS_24.htm

http://www.baseline-hiv.co.uk/hiv-articles/2012/8/21/once-daily-maraviroc-plus-atazanavir-looks-good.html

Dovato

Offline surf18

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 12:20:54 pm »
What are the neurlogical benefits?Thanks

Offline Tempeboy

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:05:17 pm »
What are the neurlogical benefits?Thanks

Hi Surf18,

It seems that Maraviroc get into the Central Nervous System quite well, and there is some thought if HIV does get into CNS, that it is mostly R5 tropic and therefore controlled by Maraviroc.

TB

Dean Kiley

Offline Matts

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 04:49:34 pm »
The CNS thing made me curious- I only found monkey studies, in humans more research is needed:

Conclusions: MVC monotherapy significantly improved SIV CNS disease outcomes with marked reduction of SIV RNA levels in brain, reduced cellular immune responses, and less neuronal damage. Adding MVC to combined anti-retroviral regimens may effectively treat persistent neurologic disorders in HIV-infected individuals. "
http://www.natap.org/2011/CROI/croi_36.htm

"Maraviroc monotherapy is cardioprotective in the SIV macaque model"
http://dpcpsi.nih.gov/council/pdf/NIH_2012F_tal.pdf

A german source (translated)
"Back in the animal model (this time rhesus monkeys) were by the administration of maraviroc:

• The inflammatory markers in cerebrospinal fluid are reduced
• The viral load in the cerebrospinal fluid and brain are reduced
• The activation of macrophages are reduced
• The formation of amyloid precursor protein are reduced
The authors call to check whether maraviroc can also be used in humans for the treatment of HIV-associated neurological disorders"

http://www.hivandmore.de/kongresse/croi2011/hiv_und_neurologische_erkrankungen.shtml

"Cardiac Dysfunction Associated with Myocardial Viral Load in SIV-infected Macaques Can be Prevented by CCR5 inhibitor Maraviroc"
http://pathology.jhu.edu/department/research/PYID/2011/Trans_Brennan.pdf

And at last MVC blocks metastasis of basal breast cancer cells. Not interesting for me, but maybe for others.
http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2012/05/25/0008-5472.CAN-11-3917.full.pdf
Dovato

Offline Matts

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 01:06:16 pm »
It's out and over for MVC once daily. The MODERN study (Maraviroc Once-daily with Darunavir Enhanced by Ritonavir in a New regimen) was stopped. MVC once-daily with boosted Darunavir against TDF/FTC, has failed (38 MVC failed against 13 TDF/FTC.) There will be no approval for MVC O.D. in the US.
It has worked for me since 2007; maybe I only had luck. I keep taking it until Dolutegravir is available in The E.U., then I will try Dualtherapy with Tivicay and MVC O.D.- no risk no fun :)
Dovato

Offline curiousgeorge123

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 10:40:19 pm »
Hi Matts,
I was wondering how you did on Tivicay + Maraviroc (300 mg) once daily instead of twice?
I'm currently on dual therapy tivicay + maraviroc (300 mg twice daily). But just recently started taking the maraviroc only once a day off label and without telling my dr. was wondering how your experience was.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 02:48:21 am »
Hi

Welcome to the forum

This thread is pretty old from 2013 and perhaps it would be better to open a new topic to introduce yourself.

Glad to hear you are on treatment however instead of experimenting with your meds on your own, I would instead recommend you take your meds and if your having problems or want to try something else work with your Doctor instead.   Why are you wanting to drop the Tivicay without telling them?

Take care

Jim

« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 02:51:50 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.