Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:01:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 207
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Which operating system powers your machine?

Windows Vista
Windows XP/2000
Windows Me/98/95
Linux (specify distro in thread)
OS X
BSD (specify flavour)
Other Unix (specify)
Other (specify)

Author Topic: Geek Out: Name Your Operating System  (Read 17368 times)

Offline David_CA

Re: Geek Out: Name Your Operating System
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2007, 01:41:06 pm »
These things happen when Redmond is so screwed up that it takes 6 years to release a new version of their operating system.

I think part of the 'time delay' is that Windows OS's are run on many business / institutional pc's.  These systems are a huge source of revenue for MS.  Those of us that support them, here anyway, like our systems to be consistent.  When Windows XP was first released, all our new pc's had a "Designed for Windows 2000" sticker on them.  It wasn't until a year or so later that XP was supported here (where I work).  Most of our software is specific to a particular task (door access control, for example), and these vendors don't generally initially support the latest OS that hasn't had thorough testing with their product.  We still have certain software that runs best on Windows NT which was released in '96.  Good luck running ANY of our software on a Mac or on a Linux system.  Sure, servers are fine with Linux.  Servers are maintained by us 'geeks', not generally by end users.  Not only do I have to support our hardware, I have to support our users.  I want their systems to be as similar to any other system in this department as possible.  Whether one likes MS or not, Windows 2000 and XP are stable when installed and configured properly on decent, reliable systems.  I'm sure Vista will be eventually.  I know it has issues with at least three applications we use here at present.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2007, 03:11:23 pm »
Vista was still spectacularly delayed by what?  At least two years from the official goal.  Plus they rip half their new features off of what Apple's already done, and that's always been the case... and the GUI still looks ugly.  They can't even copy things in a competent manner.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2007, 08:15:06 pm »
Plus they rip half their new features off of what Apple's already done, and that's always been the case... and the GUI still looks ugly.

Which was orginally stolen from Xerox by Apple . . . .

MtD
(Who notes that all operating systems are in one form or another descended from Unix)

Offline camille07

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2007, 08:55:24 pm »
For anyone interested on reading about the "truth" regarding the origins of the OS....this website, in my opinion, is pretty informative.  It's a good site for anyone looking to shine their techie shoes.
http://www.betanews.com

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2007, 10:39:51 pm »
Plus they rip half their new features off of what Apple's already done, and that's always been the case... and the GUI still looks ugly.

Which was orginally stolen from Xerox by Apple . . . .

MtD
(Who notes that all operating systems are in one form or another descended from Unix)

Indeed, but I was referring to more recent versions of each operating system especially once OS X came out, which wasn't a new version at all but an entirely new system.  I apologize for my usual lack of clarity.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2007, 05:52:29 am »
which wasn't a new version at all but an entirely new system.

What Apple got from Xerox was the GUI. Windows, icons, pull down menus etc. I don't use OS X, but I'll hazard a guess that those things are still present in this "entirely new system".

Indeed OS X is essentially powered by BSD technology which is an implementation of Unix that's been around for 25+ years. Not only that but elements of NeXTStep (the BSD/Mach Microkernel OS which was developed for Steve Jobs NeXT computers in the late 1980's) are incorporated into it as well.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2007, 11:16:22 am »
I'm well aware of this, but it still doesn't invalidate what I stated (accepting my clarification).   I used the word "new features" in my original post, but you insist on moving the goal posts.

Offline Hard Times

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2007, 12:24:44 pm »
gateway lap top, windows XP media edition .
Your Body Is What You Are.
Your Soul Is Who You Are.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2007, 11:08:23 am »
I'm well aware of this, but it still doesn't invalidate what I stated (accepting my clarification).   I used the word "new features" in my original post, but you insist on moving the goal posts.

Yes you did use "new features", but you also referred to OS X as an "entirely new system" which it isn't.

It's derivative. And being derivative is a particular talent of yours, isn't it?

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2007, 11:16:06 am »
It was entirely new compared to OS9 and previous Mac systems -- you're simply taking things out of context to fit your own personal agenda dear.  And having an agenda is a particular talent of yours, isn't it?

And if posting in the 3rd person isn't banal and "derivative" in itself I don't know what is.  You're a walking cyber caricature.

Offline StacheBC

• Hello
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2007, 02:30:33 pm »
Matty,

The "Folding@Home" has nothing to do with HIV... That is the project that will come up with the best ways to fold items in your underware drawer.  ;D

Mauricio.
PS. Tried Fedora and maybe it's just my hardware combination or my lack of patience... but OpenSuse just worked for me.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.