Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:39:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 528
Total: 528

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV and Diabetic  (Read 13039 times)

Offline PaulinNJ

HIV and Diabetic
« on: June 18, 2007, 01:08:13 pm »
I'm HIV and diabetic (as well as have high cholesterol) and some of my meds specify taking them with 'high fat foods' which I have to do twice a day. I've eaten as healthy as possible, but when it comes to high fat foods, I am in a quandary. Since everything is under control as far as my diabetes, cholesterol, and HIV ("Better living through drugs"!) and my CD4's are 1200+ and undetectable ( i started out with a CD4 of 124 and around 70,000 viral load in 2001 with a few bumps n the road because of liver enzymes), my doctor is most concerned with my cardio (heart) as of late, and in fact, I have to talk to him about taking AVANDIA which I have been on a few years and see if I should switch. I'm just in a quandary about what to eat sometimes and ask for anyone perhaps with similar experience or knowledge to offer suggestions.
Here's my daily regimen:
Viracept 325 mgs 2 pills 2x day
Epzicom G5K 1x day
Viread 300 mg 1x day
Metformin 1000 mg 2x day
Tricor 145 mg 1x day
Zetia  10 mg 1x day
Avandia 4 mg 1x day
Quinapril 10mg 1x day
Glyburide 5mg 1x day
Omacor 2x day (pharm. fish oil to raise HDL)
Klonipin 2 mgs 1x day
Lexapro 10 mg 1x day
Provigil 200 mg 1x day
Thanks! Paul
Laugh often - the alternative ain't worth it!
"Ain't I a stinker?" -- Bugs Bunny
From 120 t's, shingles and high VL in 2001
To 1200+ t's and undetectable in 2007.
2010 remain undedect. and 1000 CD4.

Offline mikeyleerocks

• My space page
Re: HIV and Diabetic
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:40:26 pm »
That's quite a regimen you've got there!

I was recently diagnosed as borderline diabetic and sent to a nutritionist.  Diabetes runs in my family, so with everything else my doc decided it best to eat right, etc...and avoid ever getting it.

My nutritionist gave me a simple guide to use and I've stuck with it for about 2 months now.  It really is just a different way of eating and while you can't be as spontaneous with meals, it has made me feel better and I've lost about 8 lbs (which I consider a good thing).

She gave me a small book put out by a drug company (of course) called Changing Life with diabetes.  The website is ChangingDiabetes-us.com.

The real trick is actually just a good diet for anyone.

I avoid most carbs since they turn into sugar (I can have some but try to avoid most).  Eat at least 3 balanced meals a day (I used to never eat breakfast, and skipped meals all the time).  Eat lots of veggies and fruits, and have a couple of snacks throughout the day.

The thing is I like to cook but would avoid it because cooking for one is time consuming and somewhat wasteful.  But with this I buy a bunch of veggies locally, cook them up throughout the week in different concoctions, make a big pot of soup, salads with lunch, start each day with yogurt and a banana, and drinks lots of water.

She's worked it out how many calories, how many carbs I should have per meal, per snack, per day - and it's not been hard to stick to.  The biggest problem is craving some fried chicken or french fries from time to time, or when I'm on the road (you'd be surprised how hard it is to find healthy food on the road once you know what to look for).

By the way,  I've never been one to stick to this kind of thing before.  But I am now and it's great.   I'm also supposed to get on an exercise regimen (which I'm looking forward to, just joined a gym) so I'm sure that will help all around as well.

Best of luck.
Nobody ever asked to be happy later

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:33:08 pm »
Hey Paul,

Regarding the heart issues, my doc put me on 4.000 mgs of fish oil daily. I know that is probably the last thing you want to consider, but it has helped keep my triglycerides in check.

Mikeyleerocks had a good take on it. A sensible diet, moderate exercise and reducing stress all can help aleve cardiac concerns.

Good luck and let us know what the doc says.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 11:30:25 pm »
Wow, How are you dealing with the Metformin. I use to take it like you do and it kept me with severe stomach cramps. My doc just now took me off of it a few weeks ago. I use to take Advandia but asked my doctor to switch me to something else since I was reading about the side effects of Advandia. He put me on Actos. I also take Tricor but a way smaller dose than you, only 54mg and he just raised that from 45. My roomie takes the same mg as you with the Tricor.

I forget who posted this but I was told that there is no such thing as borderline diabetic.  I was told this by my nutritionist. You either are or you are not. It runs in my family as well and I was just diagnosed a few years ago. I really need to schedule my diabetes class, I keep putting that off. I don't eat much sweets but does love my veggies and salads. But also loves to eat nuts too, hey no jokes.... ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.