Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:00:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 230
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Introduce yourself and meet others!  (Read 99609 times)

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
Re: Introduce yourself and meet others!
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2006, 04:04:25 am »
:D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 11:19:34 pm by gerry »

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2006, 10:38:00 am »
Wow cliff, you are tops. 

Guess it is my turn in the barrel

I was born in Spokane Washington on February 13th, 1960.  I grew up in the burbs of Trentwood.  Pretty much owned the block so to speak, but I was a problem child.  By the time I was 15 I had pretty much tried all of the fashionable drugs of the 70’s.  The only thing that probably kept me out of the big hotel was the fact that I was a good athlete.  Favors came my way, and I was invincible.  By the time I was in my later high school years I had knuckled down, but then realized that the school holidays I was known for early, had vanquished a scholarship opportunity at Stanford.  I went to a smaller college, played football and loved life and everyone in it.  One day at practice I zigged and my knee zagged, ending my career and the vision of the SI cover.  I became fodder for the “coulda woulda’s” at the end of the bar. 

When I was 20 I moved back to Seattle and opted to follow the American rage and obtain that thing called an education.  After graduating from college, I worked in engineering for a large telecommunications company.  Being such a youngster among my peers, I got the juicy jobs like Kotzebue Alaska, or Challise Idaho. Boy, did I miss seeing an actual streetlight.  In many towns I was idolized for the mere fact that I had a full set of teeth.

Over the next 6 years I traveled extensively, had been in all 50 states and a few countries.  I was living hard and playing harder.  At 25 I got married and accepted a position at corporate in Orlando, FL.  Time to settle down?  NEVER!  I had become a marketing director, suit and all, and traveled even more, but this time in first class and to places that did indeed have streetlights.  I was empowered by a suit and an extremely lucrative expense account, and was not afraid to use it.  In 1990, I was transferred to Kansas City, and given the workload of 4 people that were laid off, but still had that nice expense account. My lucrative life resulted in 3 DUI’s over a 3-year period following.  At 37, I was divorced and pretty much taken to the cleaners, which I guess I deserved.

In 1993 I won an award for Marketeer of the Year.  Really thought I was hot shit so I explored the job market and accepted a job with another company. With it came a substantial salary increase and a huge bonus.  Exactly what Mr. Party head needed? To encapsulate things, the market went to shit and my comfort zones began to shrink. This era for me, I believe rooted the advent of AIDS related dementia.

Being single, I explored ALL avenues of sexuality, living with disregard to life and health.  I still lived behind the cloak of invincibility, and maintained the party ideology until 2003 when I was overthrown by the series of OI’s leading up to my AIDS diagnosis. 

In retrospect, I look back and many things I would have done differently, but I gaze forward with the aerial view and a new perspective on life.  I currently subsist a disability check, which fortunately for me is livable thanks to a lucrative career preceding.

I met my soul mate Trish here on the Forums, and these days I feel pretty damn good about myself, and life. I guess I have finally grown up. 

Maybe….

edited to add that my three wonderful children are the biggest accomplishment in my life.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 11:23:08 am by kcmetroman »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2006, 10:49:19 am »
Wow cliff, you are tops.
...only about 80% of the time, John.  :-*

Seriously, no credit due me for this.  Credit belongs to Matt, et al. 

- Cliff

Offline rnbowpixi

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2006, 11:17:56 am »
Hi ya'll. Name is Rob. Livin in san diego.  just moved back after living in the est for a while (off and on about 5-6 years with a detour back to san diego once for a year) cook for a living, 26ish (age) poz since march 10 05 just started meds may 27 load 110000, cd4 378 28% norvir reyataz truvada. partner negative, great support group of friends and family over here though i can always use another friend or three ^_^, ecltectic sometimes weird, sometimes hyper, typical gemini kind of person here. raised navy brat and sometimes it shows ( hard headed stubborn etc.) please say hello, im always around in some form.  -rnbowpixi@yahoo.com-

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2006, 12:03:02 pm »
Cliff,

Great idea !!

My name is ", formerly known as ".  I came to these forums in mid              , after being diagnosed HIV positive.

I can attest these forums helped pull me through a very rough time!!

I was born in  .  My mother hurriedly left shortly after I was born to escape from my real father, who was abusive.  I've been in   ever since.  In school I was the quintessential underachiever.   19....  I used for 9 months successfully, although it took me two years to stay clean !  I went to college for three years and produced an extended high school diploma, better known as an  !!  I quit in my after my third year, like everything else, while trying to get my bachelors.  I had found a good managerial job and thought this to be more important than school ! I was so proud of the fact that at 24 I was making $ 40,000 a year.  This after a divorce from from my first wife of three years.   My first wife really showed me just how evil someone can be....  some one who tells you they love you that is!!   There was some beauty from it though, we have a beautiful  together who is now 15.  

Two years after my first marriage, I met my second wife.  We were married for  years.  It was during this time that my depression had started.  We lost a son and that seemed to be a catalyst of things to come.  Six months after the passing of my son my mother took ill.  In March 2000 she was diagnosed with cancer and was gone in October of that year.  My wife and I separated during this time.  We did eventually get back together and have a beautiful little girl who now is 4.  In  we divorced and in I decided to    I did so with no desire for protection and paid for it dearly.... obviously.  

I am thankful though still.....

I have faced my depression since being diagnosed.  I have found new love since being diagnosed.  

I have seen a doctor 4 times since being diagnosed....  hell, before my diagnosis I had not seen a doctor 4 times my entire life!!

I am in the process of making some huge changes in my life right now, something I would have never done before my diagnosis... taking a risk that is!

Lately, I have been absent from the forums...  I have had my reasons....  I lost a certain confort level, which may be an issue within myself.  

I am working at trying to look at things differently...

My doctor is about to start me on a regime...  My luck!!  Barely a year after my infection my numbers are bad enough to call for it.  Yes, I am sure its only been a year because I tested negative in  during a physical for a life insurance policy.

I may have strayed here.....  

I am  formerly know as 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 07:09:05 am by skeebo1969 »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Trish

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2006, 02:07:32 pm »
My name is Patricia, but I prefer to be called "Trish."  I am 42 years old and was born & raised in Brooklyn, NY.  I lived in NY my entire life until I went to KC this past March to meet the man of my dreams -- KCmetroman (John) from these forums.  I fell in love with him and have been here ever since.  We plan to marry in the future sometime.  No date set yet.

I have 3 older brothers (Billy, Jimmy & Raymond).  Growing up with 3 brothers was tough.  They liked to toss me around and play rough.  I guess that's where I get my gumption from, I had to stand up for myself many, many times.  My father passed away in Feb. 1999 from lung cancer.  He was a retired firefighter with the FDNY.  My 2 oldest bros have retired from the fire dept. also shortly after 9/11.  They both had 23 years on the department.  My brother Ray (who I am closest to in age -- one year difference) works in Manhattan and has come a very long way struggling with a learning disability his whole life.  I learned from an early age to protect those who were different.  I was always defending my brother from the bullies in the neighborhood who made fun of him because he was mentally challenged.  He has a learning disability and the kids did not like him because of it.  I always defended him, and am proud of my brother today for all the accomplishments he has made in a world that treated him as something "not normal."  I guess the activism part of me came into play at a very young age.  I always fight for the underdog.  It's my nature.

My mother & father divorced when I was 15.  That was a very trying time for the entire family.  It tore us apart....

I have one niece (Cynthia) who is 24 years old and I love her dearly.  She reminds me of myself when I was her age and it scares the hell out of me.  I saw her leading a very destructive life, just the way I did... I ended up in drug rehab, and so far, she hasn't gotten there... only time will tell.  I also have a 4 year old nephew, My Godson, James.  He's the cutest little guy, smart as a whip and just loves to play with trucks and trains.  Recently, we've been told he may have a speech impediment and needs to go to speech therapy.  I miss my family, but there only a phone call away.

I grew up in a small community called Gerritsen Beach located in Brooklyn, NY.  It's residents are mostly white, Catholic, Irish.  Most men are civil servants (police, firemen, etc.).  It's a great neighborhood to grow up in until the teen years, when drugs & alcohol become a part of your life.  It's easy to get stuck in that neighborhood.  I was stuck for many years.  I went to Catholic school my entire 12 years.  I would have gone to college and on to law school, but somehow that got all messed up.  I was a drug addict/alcoholic.  My dreams didn't mean a thing to me back then.  I graduated high school in 1982.

After graduating H.S., my dad allowed me to play around all summer before heading off to Manhattan to find a job.  I had a blast that last summer!  In September of '82 I headed into the big city -- job hunting.  After 25 or so interviews, I finally landed a job with a Mitsubishi Bank located on the 85th floor of the World Trade Center.  It was the first time I had ever been in that building, and I was amazed at the enormity of it.  I remember on windy days, hearing the building creak as it swayed back & forth in the wind.  I swear that sometimes I could feel the building move.  For the 2 years I worked for that bank, I always had this horrible image of a plane hitting it and toppling it to the ground.  When 9/11 happened, I wanted to die.  But that's another story entirely.

In 1985, I found myself in drug rehab.  While there I met a great guy, who later became my husband, Larry, in Feb. 1988.  Larry had been an IV drug user.  We were married in St. Patrick's Cathedral on 5th Ave. in Manhattan and the reception took place in the World Trade Center on the 43rd floor.  It was one of the most memorable days of my life... it was a day that I felt like a princess.  Larry was HIV-pos when we married.  We had already been having intercourse when he started to feel "not" himself.  He was ill.  He went to the doctor sometime in late 1986 and was diagnosed with ARC, which soon was AIDS.  When he told me his diagnosis, I was shocked and extremely scared.  I cut off sex for fear of being infected.  And if we did have sex, we always used a condom.  We knew Larry would die, we just didn't know when.   Larry started treatment with AZT immediately.  He also was on Pentamidine for PCP and had a slew of other OI's.  He was in & out of the hospital more times than I care to remember.  He lost alot of weight and looked very much like death was knocking on his door.  After a month or so, he bounced back and gained some weight.  He was active again in sports and lived his life to the fullest.  I married him because I loved him and wanted to make him happy.  I gave him happiness to the very end.  Larry died in our apartment on October 28, 1989 -- he was sitting in his favorite reclining chair.  I buried him on Halloween.

I tested the very next day after his burial.  I found out I was positive sometime in late November 1989.  I had been working for a law firm as a legal secretary on Rector St. in downtown Manhattan when I got the news.  I called the doctor's office to find out my results.  I was told that I needed to come to the office to get my results.  There really was no need for that, I knew what is was.  I began to shiver and cry sitting at my desk.  I felt numb.  I was in shock.  My friend & co-worker, Joann, happened to walk by and saw me crying.  She asked what was wrong and I told her through all my tears and gasps.  She told me to go home, and she would cover for me.  It was the last time I saw her.  I never went back to that job.  I couldn't... they already knew my husband died of AIDS, I didn't want them to know that I was sick too.  I was afraid they would have fired me.

I left the office, and walked around Manhattan in a daze.  I was crying uncontrollably.  I didn't know where to go.  I felt so alone.  People stopped me and asked if I was okay -- I didn't respond, I just kept walking.  I think I finally got to the doctor's office 3 hours later.  I was in shock.  The doctor wanted to start me on AZT... I told him "No F**king Way.  That shit killed Larry.  I won't do it."  I left his office, only to return a week later for another test.  I wanted to know for sure.  Well, that test was positive also.  I left the doctor's office angry and upset.  I went to the bar and got rip-roarin' drunk, and pretty much got drunk everyday after that.  My life spinned out of control and I began doing drugs again.  I was a mess and in complete denial.  The stigma took a HUGE hold of me, and I couldn't shake it.  My denial and life in a lie lasted about 11 years.  It wasn't until April 2000 that I went on meds and disclosed to all of my closest friends.  My family had known from the beginning and were very supportive, however, it was a subject we never really spoke about.

From 1991 to the beginning of this year, I was in a relationship with a guy who is negative.  I had known him from my neighborhood for many, many years.  He accepted me.  He didn't reject me when I told him I was positive and that was all that mattered to me.  I lived with this guy for 14 years, allowing him to financially support me and keep a roof over my head.  We were very good friends and although he loved me, I was not in love with him.  I stayed with him out of fear, and it was convenient and comfortable.  It took me a very long time to admit that I was only with him because he accepted me, it really had nothing to do with love.  And I feel bad for having done so.

I left him this February and I now reside in Kansas City, MO with John.  I found my soulmate.  I found true love and I hope to one day marry John, and live a happy life with him.  I also hope to one day publish my memoirs.  I enjoy writing and have been writing since I was a child, but never took it seriously --- now I do.  I will write a book.  I also enjoy cooking, biking, and Rock & Roll music mostly, but I am versatile.  I love to meet new people and enjoy doing new things.  I like to do things "spur of the moment."  I love to laugh and have a good time.  I was into sports as a kid, a real tomboy (had to be, I had 3 bros) & I played basketball, softball, volleyball throughout my school years -- I was on varsity in high school in all 3 fields...  I don't do any of these things today because of bad knees, but sure wish I could.  I also enjoy fishing and even worked on a fishing boat one summer as a cook back in 1998 or so.  I've had many jobs over the years, various types of positions, too many to recall.  I could never keep a job for too long because of depression, etc. 

Today, I am physically healthy and in a much better place as far as my emotional & mental states go.  I have my ups & downs, but I do the best I can.  I have learned alot about myself since 1989 and see the world so much clearer these days.  My outlook on life is no longer doom & gloom.  I actually wake up nowadays thinking about the things I want to accomplish.  I think of my goals and set them, whereas from 1989 to 2000, I didn't dream of anything.  I have changed, and I like what I see.

I have to add this note -- just something I need to get off my chest.

Back in March of this year, I started a thread similar to this about introductions, suggesting that it would be a good idea to introduce ourselves thereby allowing people the chance to get to know the person behind the avatar (I geared it more toward Newcomers because of an instance that happened), but somehow, or for whatever reasons, I was trashed for having done so.  A few of you did not like what I tried to propose, and I find it peculiar that now I see a couple of you have responded here with no problem, and I just don't get it.  The "few" who gave me grief back in March were very willing to discredit me in my thread... Oh well, I'm a big girl, I'll get over it.  No big deal.  I just had to get that off my chest.

Just one more thing -- I have to say that if it were not for my Mom, I never would be where I am today.  She has supported me in every way possible and I couldn't have made it without her love.  My mom is the best!  I love her dearly, and miss her smiling face.  But, I will see her in August when John & I fly to NY, and then drive to Montreal.

See you all there... ;D

Have a great day everyone.

All the best,

Trish :) :-*
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 02:13:31 pm by Trish »
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Trish

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2006, 02:10:35 pm »
OOPS!!!  Sorry..
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 02:12:48 pm by Trish »
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2006, 02:24:54 pm »
It's strange, cause there isn't anybody boring here.

Just saying, you know?

Anyway, I'm Jaser (but it seems everyone has a nickname for me, haha) and I'm 15. 16 on October 31st (wink wink, nudge nudge) and I was born in 1990 in NY. I have a sister named Megan, who's less than 3 years older than me, she just graduated highschool this year and she still doesn't know what she's gonna do tomorrow (believe me, if you know her, it's not surprising). I'll be graduating in 2008. I just ended my sophomore year (10th grade). I guess I'm a pretty good student - I get mostly straight As (except when I get Bs. ><;.). Hokays, but, yeah.

Most of you know I'm really big into animals. I like taking care of things. I feel better when my animals feel better. To date I have four rats (Wednesday, Mystery, Bailey, Fiver), two mice (Oscar Wilde, Morgan), two fish (Cheese, Mushy), three cats (Zachary Binx, Tiamat, Chester) three newts (Newt 1, Newt 2, Newt 3 - hehe), two turtles (Henny, Penny). Yeah, it's a zoo, but I love all of them insanely much.

I like art and I LOVE to write. Even though I think both are pointless. :P. Annnnnd I love movies and music. LOVE music. Something a lot of people don't know is I can play drums. I've played since I was like 7 years old. First I started taking lessons in school but, they were demanding and I didn't like being forced (actually, I don't like being forced in art or writing either, which explains some grrr-ness at school). So, I quit there, but practiced on my own, and my dad tried to get me to take lessons elsewhere but screw that and I just bought some books and taught myself. I also tried to learn guitar, but didn't get far. I dunno why. Frustrated, I guess.

I've recently warmed up to math, too. :P

I really want to go to school to be a vet, but, if not I guess I have music and art and writing to fall back on. My family wants me to stay in the area but I want to move somewhere. I haven't picked any school yet, but I want to move to NY. I'm not sure why. I guess to get away from here, but not too far away.

I joined here over a year ago, I was infected in November 2004, diagnosed in January 2005, whatever. It's just all statistics to me now and to be honest I don't think it's even worth a paragraph about me.

People tell me I have strange taste in music for my age. But mostly cause I don't like like... freaking Green Day or whatever. I like -
The Misfits, The Chameleons, The Spinto Band, The Magnetic Fields, the Circle Jerks, the Adolescents, Nick Cave, Smashing Pumpkins, The Unicorns, Modest Mouse, Rasputina.

So, whateva. =P

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2006, 05:57:23 pm »
Hi all,
I am Jeff and I have been her about a year and a half.

My numbers are fine and I have had no complaints. I think I am a LTNP as my numbers seem to stay the same. My Dr. is proud of me.

Other than actually knowing I am HIV poz is the only thing that is bothering me at this time.

Jeff

PS I am also positive for the vacirella virus. Egads!

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2006, 06:20:05 pm »
My name is Nick , I live in Rockwall a small town just east of Dallas Texas. I have been POZ since 1994...probably infected around 1983 when I was traveling extensively in Asia and had contacts with many people . I have a family , wife ,three grown children and several grandchildren.. Retired from Air Force ( 21 yrs)  worked for large Electronics company for 14 years until 1994...Never was a "sick " person. had several rounds of bad "colds" them became seriously ill ,admitted to the hospital discovered  PCP  and HIV status.  stats at time   cd=4  vl =500,000 +     Wife is HIV- 
I have been treated by a great Dr here in Dallas, I was one of the first to receive  Crixivan when it became available.  Have been on Crixivan, Epivir, and Zerit plus other meds  for the whole time since diagnosed.  I have been  "undetectable" since 1997  cd stays around 400
 I am currently being treated for stage 5 Lipodystrophy . I am in a company sponsored trial for Sculptra. I have had three sessions  and have at least 4 more to go. Results are starting to show. My Dermatology Dr wants me to try to get off the Zerit..( it is one of the prime contributors to Lypo..)  and that is how I discovered this site.
Matt gave me two possible alternatives to the Zerit.. Thanks again Matt  I have researched both and will discuss with my Dr this week.  I know that his usual reply  to change is " if it ain't broke ..don't fix it"  but I think the Lypo situation is broke enough to consider some change....

On a personal basis..I am retired..run a web site with my wife and son..work out regularly with a personal trainer at Larry North Fitness Center. travel a little..visit with grandkids..and just enjoy living.
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2006, 06:59:48 pm »
Good Evening Everyone,

I also am enjoying reading everyone's introduction. I would like to suggest something though. And it may have already been brought up.

For those that have changed their names/ Login , on the new forums,would you all be able to put your former name/handle, in you signature line. It will be truly helpful to some of us that have Cobweds, between our ears   :-* until we can re familiarize....Thanks !

I wish everyone the best-------Ray

« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 07:01:19 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Robert

« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2006, 08:13:43 pm »
Hey Folks.

This particular thread is getting a little long for us dial-up types.  If you don't mind, Herman (HEARTFORYOU) started
PART II

If you could post your life stories, that would be great.

thanks
robert

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2006, 12:47:00 am »
Perhaps it will be an easier story to tell
If I stick to the surface, not draw from the well
My life took a hard left eight, twenty, zero three
I decided hiv would not get the better of me

I hope to assist, indirectly, our successors
as I'm deemed, thus far, a long-term non-progressor
I'm enrolled in all manner of studies thus far
Some long distance and others I reach by car

Some are studies of blood, others of my brain
It's the best I can do, so I don't refrain
I look at it as one way to be less afraid
and to make of poz lemons some sweet lemonade

What else shall I add to define myself?
I'm straight, 52, and enjoying good health
There's no one with whom I share such delight,
But optimist I am and consider it a non-plight

I forgot to include that I'm also female
Just in case there's someone reading this tale
Who might be a soulmate, perhaps a new friend
One never knows what is round the next bend

Aside from my work, which is full-time plus more
I love the woods, gardening and my cat, I adore
Music enthralls me, Impressionists' art, too
And I create my own, most mediums will do

I use all sorts of approaches to my new status
Yoga, NET, how I wish it all was gratus!
I am training soon in the art of Feng Shui
With the intent of giving consults away

I believe, as I've read that Feng Shui affects health
And I want to give it away to those without wealth
With a priority given to positive sisters and brothers
And second to that, needy, indigent others

There's only one other important thing to share
That captures my attention beyond compare
I'm trying to adopt an older child, who like us
Needs acceptance and love she can trust

I predict that someday, I'll be jumping out
As so many of us share, we're itchin' to shout
I abhor the entanglements caused by poz stigma
That's culminating in a 25-year-old enigma

Communication as is fostered in this special site
Is reflective of the type of necessary light
Required to illuminate, warm and inspire
Those affected and those yet to acquire

Although I don't stop by to visit too often
I hope this profile will help to soften
And explain the nature of my words in print
Perhaps add perspective, at the very least, a hint

Known before and now as Emeraldize

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2006, 08:34:17 am »
I know this thread was getting long, but I wanted to bump it up, as it was slipping away. This for the benefit of those that haven't seen it. For others, I would suggest you introduce yourself in the other thread ,because this one is quite long for the dial -up users.

Ray
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:35:59 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline joeniceguy2005

Re: Introduce yourself and meet others!Joey from sudbury ont can.HI!
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2006, 08:39:20 pm »
well my name is james but my friends call me joe or joey.I have been pos now for 5 years.I just wanted to take this opertunity to welcome all those that will be attending the internationalhiv-aids conference 2006 to be held in toronto in august(13-18) it is too bad that the US will NOT allow anyone that has tested +  for hiv into the us,its a shame really,but such is life eh?In canada we accept peoples for who they are,not what they have or have not got!The Us is steadily losing many allies with this war against a totaly innocent peoples,but this is another war that i wont get into(too late )anyways ,a tip of the hat,to that beautifull woman with balls bigger then most men have .Its refreshing to see really,as alot of people get fatigued with allways hearing about negative stuff happening all the time,so ,again congrats to a real heroine and good luck on the today show,go girl go!

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2006, 07:11:45 pm »
Who knew about this thread?  Months later, Win(throp) Smith posts: born April 1955 in Westchester Cty. New York.  Raised in Rye, New York.  Graduated from Millbrook School 1973 (see opening section of The World According To Garp which was used).  Graduated from Dickinson College July 1976.  English major and minor.  Lot's of years in retail (bookstores especially).  Stamford CT to NYC in 1987.  Acute retroviral syndrome May 1984 (watch Longtime Companion for a sense of the times).  Confirmed diagnosis over the phone at work in 1986.  Meds delayed until the cocktail arrived, thankfully.  Board of PWAC.  Drop-in facilitator.  AIDS home attendant.  Bodyworker (unlicensed masseur) from 1989 (after my first NYC apartment was gutted in a fire during a mafia trial) until 2003.  I lived from the East Village to the West Village to Chelsea to (my most brilliant move) the South Street Seaport 3 weeks after 9/11.  Two years of that, my first live-in partner leaving for a job with Dillard's (and me with too much space at too much cost) and I arrive, deciding purely based on the novels of William (Bill) Mann in P-town a/k/a Provincetown, MA.  When my work with someone who had cerebral palsy ended (he opted for live-in help) I moved to Hyannis where I currently live.  I now work weekends at a home for four mentally challenged guys aged 20-50.  Freed of the small town knowing everything about everyone in P-town, I have hooked up bigtime with poz.com, especially the forums.  And while legally single, I have a dachshund who would feel otherwise.
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Grinch

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2006, 07:41:37 pm »

Cliff- dont buy a BMW, real bikers will laugh at you, Yamaha is the way to go (sez the newt who misses his Yamaha).
- matt

Don't listen to him!
Grinch (Who has a BMW and a Yamaha)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2006, 02:12:28 am »
Changed my mind after a ride on a Beemer.  Now want a BMW 600 Dakar

PS - can the intro thread get stickied?

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2006, 04:06:53 am »
Hello Everyone~~

My name is Michelle, 37 yrs of age, and currently resides in Pennsylvania. I have traveled to a few places but not nearly as many as those here. I'm a Capricorn born on 1-12-69. I'm pretty much a laid back type. I will add snippets from my life because if I wrote everything, I would probably put many to sleep. The least I can hope is that it's a good read, here it goes.....

The Infection

I became infected from an ex when I lived in Miami. I actually did not find out from him but a co/worker who knew someone that was a nurse in a corrections facility. Actually me and the co-worker was having a fling. He told me one day at work. Of course I broke down and cried. I then went home and asked the ex was this true, he admitted it was. I don't know if it was my love for him or stupidity but I still wanted to be with him. But his feelings weren't the same, he left for a crackhead who was pregnant by him. It was a major blow to my self-esteem but I picked up the pieces and started to get tested. This was in 92, I left Miami in 97 and went back home. In 97, I don't remember the exact month, I just know it wasn't winter. I had gone to the health clinic for the usual std checkup because at the time, I did not have any doctors. For some reason, I never went back for the results, I just knew. I wouldn't return calls or anything, so they did one better they showed up at my door.

The family

At the time when they showed up at the door, I was staying with my oldest sister, so she heard the results. She suggested that we, plus my other sister, go out for some drinks and that I tell her. I don't know what I was thinking, because me and my other sister never really did get along. For some reason, she felt that our mother treated her "lighter" children better than her darker ones, I really never knew because this was when I was very young and I don't remember much of my childhood at all. So, she made it a point of making my life hell whenever she could by either making stories up about me or trying to fuck my boyfriends. But I thought maybe in this situation she would be a little more mature about it, but of course I was wrong. She made it her life's mission to tell anyone who would listen that I was poz. My family has always been dysfunctional but I'm quite sure everyone knows. Then my oldest sister decided to jump on the bandwagon and spread the news too as well as a niece.

Love Life

I did not become poz until 97, 5 years after finding out my ex in Miami was poz. I have often thought about the people I was intimate with in that timeframe and wonders if I had infected them unknowingly. I know that sounds crazy because I was tested during those times and I was neg, so I know it can't be but I still feel guilty. My track record with relationships sucked to say the least. I got married in 2001, but I never told my husband. My sisters did that for me as well. He was ok with it after we talked about it at first then he became abusive. For a few I thought I deserved it, but eventually ended up leaving him and moving into a shelter.

After being single for a few years, I met this young guy and got in a relationship with him for 4 years. In the beginning I did not tell him I was poz. I eventually did and he was willing to stick by me but then we broke up for other reasons. Since then I had a few encounters with this one guy but has since put an end to it, he did not know my status either. But the sex was protected. It's not that I don't want to tell anyone but am afraid of the rejection since that was all that I seem to get when I try to come clean. I have since been celebate for almost a year if not already. I am bad with dates. I try to be upbeat about it all but am very afraid that I will probably die alone... :'(

What I like

I love wrestling, I watch them all WWE and TNA. I can tell you just about any wrestler's finishing move. I'm also into anime and cartoons. I watch a lot of Cartoon Network. I also enjoy playing games on my playstation2, but I prefer RPG's such as Final Fantasy and Resident Evil. I finally beat RE4. I also watch a lot of tv but prefers shows like all the CSI's, Law and Order, and sci-fi. I miss Charmed, dammit!

Religious side

I am an eclectic Pagan. I try to incorporate a lot of paths into my life and it has changed my life in many ways.
I was once in a coven but did not feel comfortable so I decided to take the solitary path. I often make the joke I wonder if my mother knew something I didn't because she named me after a vampire, Angelique from Dark Shadows. Thus my name Queen Akasha from the Anne Rice book/movie Queen of the Damned and it was also how I felt when I discovered I was poz.

In closing, I will quote Lestat, "Was it a good read?"
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Cliff

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2006, 03:33:52 pm »
Welcome Queen of the not-so-damned.  Yes, it was a good read.  Welcome.

Offline newt

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2006, 03:44:36 pm »
Hey hello, pleasure & privilege to read about your life.  "I love wrestling".  So do I, but don;t think my kind would get on NBC  ;)

- matt

Now playing: Pink, Centrefold
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 04:06:49 pm by newt »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2006, 03:57:32 pm »
Thanks, Cliff...
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2006, 04:15:20 pm »
big hello, to everyone new & not so new  :)

my turn, to mark another year...

I am Kate. At the moment, I live in SW14, a sort of less hardcore, outer bit of London. Greener, more trees, a few more parking spaces.

I grew up, well, everywhere, bit nomadic, minus the camels & Bedouin tents. As a result, I have little sense of national identity, & struggle frequently with itchy feet - a kind of restlessness that has me longing for red earth & huge skies. At such times, I either board a plane or retreat, to tepee in garden.

I am a mental health professional. Actually, social worker, but don’t often use that title (is, to some, dirty word, like another way of saying "I don’t keep my promises") I also have various bits of paper which say I know something about youth offending, palliative care, and early psychosocial interventions in psychosis. I don’t attach much importance to bits of paper, less still to letters after names.

I own a full set of star trek micro machines, and a collection of marvel comics (xmen , my fave)

I love music, & am rarely without my 30gb ipod - it connects me with most of the events & people in my life. Click here,  if you're interested in what i'm listening to.

There is a 13 year old, living in North London, who shares half my dna. I hope that if she ever decides to get in touch, I will not be too much of a disappointment.

I read - obscure medical journals (perfusionist, anyone?) new statesman, the independent, and, er, gardener's world. Favourite writers include atwood, dickens, h.s.thompson, g.g.marquez,…etc, etc.

The earlier part of my life took me to some of the darkest places a person can go. These days, I tend to stay in the sunshine, & not let much bother me. This, & a decade + of hiv/hcv,  has taught me that things change, evolve, and that ain’t a bad thing, ever - you just have to be willing to move with them. Also taught me that I am bloody stubborn, resilient, & capable of overcoming just about anything I want to.

I like stripy jumpers, retro trainers, writing letters, allotments, raku pottery, street markets, rocks, rooibos, mountains, oceans, big hugs, kites, fringe theatre, second chances, leaves, wind chimes, laughing. I’ve never been fashionable, apart from maybe once, accidentally,c.1985. Don't believe internet changes the world, but the people using it, they do.

I dislike, & avoid, shallow, dishonest people, or those who talk just for the sake of making noise. Apart from the obvious one to determine their views on marmite, my most important question for new friends is: what are you for? - if you can’t answer that, with certainty, then you prob don’t fit this jigsaw.

One of my favourite paintings is Picasso's Guernica. I believe that art is not meant to be flat, static, observed - art, real art, is multisensory, participatory, powerful in its emotional impact. Strangely, most galleries' security guards don't share this view…

I recently had my heart broken, but am realising that this, this wasn't such a disaster, and possibly the best thing that could have happened. She was, & had been for too long, rather cramping my style…

So, birthday this weekend, & the next 12 months, more so than usual, is going to be about me. Plans: recovery from recent ills, hunt for new job, new home, some adventures & travel to far flung places, and maybe a girl who is much too young for me. I will pass on the motorbike though, for now I think  :)

(although, yes, 650 dakar is wicked , ditto 1200 gs - both, sadly, bit too heavy for me)

kate

Offline newt

« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2006, 04:33:40 pm »
W|E|L|C|O|M|E  ::)

If you were straight and I was too, I'd propose

- matt

Now playing: queer boy sex scene disco

Offline Cliff

« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2006, 05:09:14 pm »
Welcome kate.  Glad the heart is on the rebound and hopefully the brain as well (ala stroke). 

Happy Birthday....and here's to you finding that special youngin on upper Richmond.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »
Hi Kate,

It's nice getting to know you and I did enjoy reading your Intro. So, you're a Trekkie too, not sure if you get Tvland where you are but Star Trek will be having a marathon on November 17. I'm on it and you know this man, I hope they show some of my favorite episodes which are:

1. Trouble with Tribbles, remembers the name of this episode for some reason.

2. The episode where Kirk kisses Uhura, which I was told was the first interracial kiss.

3. The episode with Trelane on it, guy kinda reminded me of Liberace.

4. The one with the Greek God, I think it was suppose to be Apollo, who had a thing for one Kirk's crew members.

Man there are so many, too many to name. I use to collect the Xmen comic books when I was younger. Out of all the Xmen movies, I think the last one was the best one. The second one was ok because they brought in Kurt but to me they made Storm seem weak compared to the comics.

I hope to chat with you in the future and learn more about you...
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2006, 06:45:06 pm »
At this risk of making this lengthening thread even longer - with sincere apologies to the dial-up masses - I'll chime in too. Having been diagnosed in February 2006, and finding this site within the weeks thereafter, I feel it's about time I said something more directly personal, though you can likely glean things from the postings I've made largely in this part of the forum.

Wellington. Former Brit who emigrated with the family to Ontario, Canada in 1970, where I finally became a citizen some 34 years later - I still retain my UK citizenship so technically, I'm a duallie. I take my time putting down roots; I guess I'm just comfortable enough in my own skin not to need a significant foundation.

HIV hasn't been all that hard to take. I became ill late in 2005 and by the time the medical gurus could finally make a diagnosis, I was knocking at death's door having lost about 20% of my body mass. Fortunately, I've had a really great partner - who's neg - for the last 16+ years, standing by me through it all, for better or worse, and all that. We're not legally married, despite it's legality in Canada now, but maybe one day he'll discover importance in symbolism. Seriously, he's a great guy and I love him to bits. I wouldn't have to think twice to lay my life down for him, which really only once became a possibility while searching for a post-theatre taxi in the burbs of Chicago.

We've travelled quite a bit. He's seen a bit more of the world than have I but I've seen more of Canada. We're both pushing 40's now and thinking about retirement. The Caribbean is high on the list of areas in which to play out our final decades.

I'm an avid cook, and patron of fine dining. also big into champagne and wine - Bordeaux me silly. Extravagant tastse for a simple country boy, but I'm worth it. My partner and I took a gourmet cooking course some years ago and it was one of the best things we've ever done. Still reaping the benefits some 15 years later. The bartending course and wine appreciation come close 2nd and 3rd.

As for sports, I try to find time. Played volleyball and basketball in high school. Surprised they let me become Canadian for not having played hockey. Also enjoy football, and the kind of wrestling that I suppose Matt (newt) is into. Though I raise an eyebrow at his taste in bikes - Ducati 918 baby. I'm way too lean for a Harley; sporty and fast is my deal. A few years back, I learned to scuba dive and took my open water in Turks & Caicos. Try to dive every year, though the last one was a bust owing to illness. I'll make up for it this year with a hopeful trip to Bonaire. I also like to cycle, skate, and ski. with a little more post-illness conditioning, I'll be back to doing one legged pushups. Pix of my quads at 11.

Despite the sports, though not an avid reader, I have a pension for sci-fi film and television - trek, TNG, Voyager, B5, Dr Who since the 60's - as well as online games - a long time patron of the Zone as well as other franchises such as WoW, AC, NWN, EQ and Horizons. I think I've spent more time in front of a computer - even now - than anyone ever should in their lifetime. Someone invent something cybernetic so I can just blink and get my fix, puhlease. Speaking of fix, I have a decided weakness for a very large capuccino in the morning - french vanilla. Yummeh.

I went to university in the mid-80's at the request of my father who really wanted me to be the next Albert Einstein, but I think I'm a little too non-hetero to coordinate a comensurate wardrobe for that dude's vocation. I was good at calculus and algebra but bailed in my 3rd year of studies to work in information technology, where I spent the next 15 years - government, then private industry as an analyst and software developer. When I got tired of that in the summer of '03, I decided to go back to school for something completely different.

For the last few years, I've been a full-time university student and have been enjoying it immensely. The wake up at noon and work to midnite deal is really how I'm built. I hate agendas and back to back meetings. Taking it as it comes and letting each eye blink reveal a new scene is far more enjoyable. I also find it gratifying to fit in with early 20-somethings at school. Thank you Aveda for such great skin care over the years.

Having read the auto-bios in this thread, I found it interesting how similar veins pop right out. Having been posting now for several months, it's been great to read what people have contributed here and realize that we share a deep connection to humanity in addition to our ailment. It's good to know you.

If I've left anything out, that isn't already plastered over YouTube, just PM ;)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2006, 07:19:36 pm »
Wellington~~

Just curious because we seem to like the same sci fi shows, what do you think of Battlestar Galactica, the remake. I was truly disappointed in the new Dr. Who prefers the original. But I enjoyed reading your Intro, we must talk more about Star Trek. Between you liking Star Trek and Newt liking wrestling, I almost fell in love but had to remember that you both are gay. Damn why are the good ones either gay or taken?

(Believes she is going to die a bitter old bitch, ugh)
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline wellington

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2006, 10:47:51 pm »
OR taken? I'm both  8)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2006, 10:53:56 pm »
You're one of the lucky ones, Wellington....
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline srmn98

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2006, 12:07:17 pm »
Guess it is my turn. I am not "out" with my status so it is difficult to know how much to say, but reading how open all of your posts are helps.

I'm a 30 year old heterosexual female. I found out about my status about a month ago. I suspect that my exboyfriend knowingly infected me, although I am working through this. I am single but have wonderful friends and family. While most of them do not know my status, their love still helps tremendously. The friends I have told help me become stronger every day.

I am commercial photographer. I enjoy my profession very much. In fact, I am currently brainstorming ideas on how to use photography to tell a story about HIV that has not been told before. I will probably start a discussion about this soon, and maybe start travelling to meet some of you and create some portraits. Somehow, I want to reach people and help them understand.

Looking forward to hearing more of your stories,

s

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2006, 03:22:24 pm »
Wow! What a variety of stories we have here. Some I have spoken to and others who's names I've never seen. I like this chemistry. Click on ol' planet earth to see my intro link if you wish. This thread is way too long to post it here. Nice reading about all of you. I really like it when people post their picture next to their forum name. It's good to see who you are emailing with.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 06:17:40 pm by Catman »
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline Just John

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2006, 07:17:37 pm »
I know that I’ve done this before on the old forum but when I tried to find it so that I could include a link to it I couldn’t – so – here goes again. I really hate this, kinda makes me feel like I’m about to confess something that I shouldn’t, part of my general insecurity I guess; but then I agree that it’s also nicer having exchanges with people that you know a little bit about so:------

I’m John, a 46 year old gay guy living about 12 miles north of Manchester, England with my BF of nearly 20 years, he’s HIV negative. I was diagnosed in October 2003 and started meds in Nov 2003, Viread, Epivir and Viramune once a day and doing well, currently VL<40, CD4 601, 25%, next test in 5 days. I’m currently smiling as I check my diary for 2003, “make a will; write letters to my family; buy a funeral plan; put my business affairs in order, find a buyer”; how little did I know!! ::)

I am fairly close to my family, Mum and three Sisters but they don’t know of my diagnosis, yet. My younger Brother died of AIDS in 1993 and I know that even now my Mother still grieves for him so I really don’t want to go public if I can help it. Yeah I know that times have changed – but! Anyhow I discussed it with my BF and that’s what we decided. I also feel really stupid about catching this disease when, of all people, I should have known better.

I have my own little mini-coach business and despite (or because of?) my efforts we’re not doing too well at the moment, just something else to add to the general current depression I guess but at least I think it’s only a temporary situation and could be a lot worse.

I enjoy long walks in the countryside with the dog, the BF too sometimes. I like to socialise with friends and family whenever possible although I’m not exactly a party animal, I have a lot of acquaintances but only one true friend left. I enjoy DIY (I’m also a qualified carpenter), reading, music of all descriptions, cooking and drinking, I quit smoking over 8 years ago except for some occasional herbal stuff.

And I love this site because it’s the only place where I feel comfortable getting information and generally dealing with HIV and related issues not to mention some of the other unrelated stuff ;D.

And that’s it – for now ;).
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2006, 10:54:26 pm »
i think this site needs a chat program!

Offline wellington

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2006, 12:33:04 am »
A chat room would be a policing nightmare, though I wish it could be possible. It sure would be nice if the profiles database had room for the autobiographical information expressed in this thread, however.

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2006, 10:05:41 am »
Perhaps this post should be stickied?

Offline newt

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2006, 03:26:46 am »
...bump... and what MSP said - matt

Offline ScottPhxAZ

« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2006, 08:37:16 pm »
Hi All, my name is Scott, 45yo, 5-10, 195, GWM, living in Phoenix, Arizona (35 years). I have been "married" to the most wonderful man in the world for almost 15 years (he's HIV-).

I've been teaching high school (math, computers) for the past 5 years after 15 years doing computer software after 10 years in the restaurant business. I'm saving law school for retirement.

I was infected at approximately 05:47:23 PDT on Sunday, July 16, 2006, (hey, but who's keeping track?) at the Mirage in Palm Springs, California (highly recommended BTW). All because I couldn't sleep and decided to hit the jacuzzi for a bit. The truly unfortunate part of it is that the sex wasn't even that good.  

A week later I got flu-like symptoms but I seemed to weather through it OK. I did urgent care and the doctor, did lots of tests but nothing found, nothing diagnosed. (Things I was tested for included Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Lyme's, and West Nile. Those sounded kinda ominous and I began to worry, but since the HIV test was negative I didn't worry too much.)

I seemed to get a bit better; however, within days I ended up being dragged into the emergency room my husband (the most wonderful man in the world) because I ended up bed-ridden not eating or drinking anything. More tests. Nothing found. No diagnosis. (Hey, but kool - I've lost 25 pounds!) School started on Monday, August 7. 5 periods with 35 kids each. I barely made it through the first day. I spent my lunch hour in the corner of the teacher work room staring at a blank wall. I went home and went to bed knowing I would never set foot in my classroom again. At this point I actually was feeling better as far as the flu-like stuff goes but was physically and mentally exhausted. At this point I started having anxiety attacks at the thought of returning to the classroom. (I'm the stereotypical strong-type who can handle anything at anytime with complete confidence, so anxiety is bit of a stretch for me.)

I went to my doctor again, he gave me an open-ended work release plus some Selexa to "even me out". Oh yeah, he said, there's one more test I'd like to do just to completely rule out HIV called a viral load. So they drew some more blood, he jetted off to the World AIDS Conference, and I went home to ponder unemployment, changing careers (again), and perhaps being homeless. I also thought back to this guy in Palm Springs......

The Monday morning after the doc returned his nurse was on the phone telling me he wanted to see me. When? I asked. She said just to come and he would see me when I got there. (This from a doctor who's usually booked solid weeks in advance.)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh ssssshhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttTTTTT!

My stats are at the bottom. Still too early to tell. Still waiting for more test results. I never did set foot back in my classroom. I got another job as math teachers are pretty popular. But instead of teaching in a classroom I now teach at a virtual high school. All my contact with students is over the phone and Internet. Very relaxed. Quiet. Low stress. Perfect for a newly poz guy.

Anyways, I like ice cream and mexican food. Coke over Pepsi. Classical, jazz, and classic rock. Books and the Internet. We both drive Hyundais (Me Sonata, him Elantra. Very impressed with them.) . We live in a 3-bedroom house in central Phoenix. Our dog/daughter died last year after 16 wonderful, happy years of faithful service. Our family is very supportive of us as a couple and me as HIV+. We prefer warm weather beach vacations over anything else - been to Puerto Vallarta five times, the Virgin Islands four times, plus three Caribbean cruises (we are truly blessed). Palm Springs is a traditional summer getaway though I got more than I bargained for this last time around. Dad is a retired Presbyterian minister (and part-time atheist). Mom is a retired nurse. Three older brothers. One is a Rush Limbaugh nut (but harmless otherwise). Me and hubby are both clean and sober 14+ years, one day at a time.

Did I mention I'm married to the most wonderful man in the whole world? Well, I am.

Scott

P.S. For the first time in a long time I am proud to be from Arizona. We became the first state to reject an anti-gay marriage constitutional ammendment!!!!! (And we're a big red state!)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 09:38:14 pm by ScottPhxAZ »
07/06 infected; K103N mutation (excludes non-nukes)
Date  CD4/%      VL
08/06 867/23%  1,000,000+
09/06 646/20%     434,000
10/06 948/24%   1,710,000
02/07 851/23%      439,000
04/07 CD4: 701/23%  VL:    184,000
06/07 CD4: 697/         VL:    202,000
08/07 CD4: 565/19%  VL:    184,000
08/07 Started Truvada+Viracept
11/07 CD4: 769/27%  VL:          181
02/08 CD4: 998/23%  VL:         <48
05/08 CD4: 809/26%  VL:         <48
06/08 Stopped meds while traveling
09/08 CD4: 793/31%  VL:         <48
12/08 CD4: 739/21%  VL:     27,700
02/09 CD4: 60
05/09 CD4: 508/22%  VL:     19,400
08/09 CD4: 358/22%  VL:     62,600
10/09 CD4: 548/26%  VL:         <48
01/10 CD4: 468/28%  VL:         <48
05/10 CD4: 475/34%  VL:         <48

Offline Longislander

« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2006, 09:22:08 pm »
Hi Scott, see you've been around a bit since August, but welcome. Sounds like an awesome job, and an awesome husband!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Javicho

« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2006, 02:08:50 pm »
Hello everyone, my name is Javier and I live in Virginia I was diagnosed HIV in October 2001. I went to have my physical as routine and they ask me if I wanted to have the test done. I'm never been sick in my life so I said yes whit no fear. The day after they call me and said that I needed to be at the doctor;s office in person for my results, at that moment I said to my self someting is wrong. The Doctor was so cold when she gave me the results. I did not know what to do, I went to see my brother's and I just stay there for couple of hours then went back home, for 2 months I just cry and try to find some courage to be able to talk to someone about my status; finally I went to the Wilkman Walker Clinic to have a group therapy,it did help me alot I met other people like me w/problems and questions.

Just about 3 years ago I did talked to my brother's about my status since then they been very supported. Mu older brother is to one who gave me this website. to be honest the only thing that i check was the late news and medications, never check this forum before till last week I try to sign in but the system was telling me that my e-mail was not good, I send an e-amil to someone in this web and they were able to help me out. I'm very happy now that I can talked to people like you guys that allways help each other w/different topics.

I don't know what else to say at this moment just that I'm happy to be able to participated in this forum.

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2006, 03:56:31 pm »
I'm Coen, that comes from Conrad. I am dutch. I got here 1 year ago.

My infection must have been in 1987. I am in a non-monogamous relationship with my lover, we're together for 21 years now. The reason for not being monogamous is that our sexual needs differ quit a lot but we both can't imagine living without each other. I will marry him next march.

I come from a family with three kids, me and my brothers. My father was a minister in the protestant church. He was very easy going about both my and my brother's homosexuality. My father has been very ill this year, but now he is doing incredibly well. The support I got in that period from AM-members was great. At the moment there are big worries about my oldest brother's health. He has had cancer as a child, and now suffers from the damage of the radiationtherapy he had by then. His body is that of an old man.

In 1984 I started my study to become a registered nurse. In 1989 I started to work in aidscare. By then I didn't know I was infected myself. It was very strange to work in a hospital and take care of people I knew, even people I have had sex with. The worlds of my private life and my work mingled more and more. When I turned out to have AIDS in 1993, there was no option to change jobs anymore so I remained working there. It was very complicated. I was confronted with what I thought was my own future. People knew me from the bars, and knew that I have aids. So, even more, private situations and work became mixed up. People who knew me as their counsellor and nurse wanted to talk to me in the bars. People in the hospital tried to seduce me now and then. Even on holiday in San Francisco in a bar I met a patient of mine who immediately wanted to share all his medical details with me. My colleagues didn't feel comfortable about the way I did my work. I am the kind of counsellor who is not afraid to share things of my private life with clients and my colleagues considered what I did not professional. The situation became pretty hard. I can understand them better now than I could in those days.

In the years that followed HAART entered my life. After a period of serious illnes in 1994-1996 I got my life back. I found my energy back and I discovered that there were other things in life I found important. I decided to go for a careerswitch. At 37 I started my conservatoire study. I became a singer and a singing teacher. I still work as a nurse part time, for a home care company. This gives me financial security and enables me to only do musical things I love to do. I am very happy with the life I lead right now. Music gives me a lot of energy and I have a very nice job as an emergency nurse.

Things I love to do:

Driving my citroën
Cooking
Going to concerts
reading

My husband-to-be and I love travelling, we try to go on holiday at least twice a year. We love hiking in the mountains, but also city trips. We also both love clubbing. I frequently go to leathery places in the Netherlands like the Argos and the Eagle in Amsterdam, the Boss in The Hague. My sexual preferences are pretty rough. I find that in the leather community the fact that I have HIV is not such an issue for people, there are so many people with HIV there that they are used to it, and it never caused my any trouble in finding my sexual partners. Reading many threads here about disclosure I realise how lucky I am in that perspective.

Aidsmeds has become even more important for me now that I have met some members in real life. Last september I met Markmt and his partner, Hermie, Waterduck, Eirin, Blondbeauty, Val, and Joemutt. It was a great experience. I have got some people here I really care about.

I lost my best friend in 1992. His name was Paul. I think that when I wouldn't have had my lover, we would have become partners. When he was ill, I took care of him. My partner said he borrowed me to Paul for a while. It is true, I hardly gave my love any attention in those days, and he quietly accepted it. He was there for me when it was hard for me to deal with Paul's illness, his misery, his moodswings. He was there to catch me when I fell, when Paul died. I guess what that period taught me was how much my lover loves me. Marrying him this spring makes me incredibly happy.

Coen

Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline water duck

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2006, 04:34:51 pm »
Dearest Coen,

Thank you so much for sharing your story, you are like a small light in the dead of the night that leads us ' home '. I rejoice in having met you .

Siang

Offline Eldon

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2006, 05:06:32 pm »
Hi All,

I am Eldon. I am here to share, understand, enocourage, and learn.

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

Offline vegaslocal39

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2006, 07:31:17 pm »
This is hard for me.  I'm not out with my status to any but my very dearest and oldest friends.  None of the people I have met within the last 10 years are aware.  But, I'd really like to have some friends to talk about this with, so here goes....

My name is Jon.  I'm 39 years old.

I was born and partially raised in Texas, where I learned that all flavors of soda were called "Coke" and that a good steak is better than sex.  In my early teen years I moved with my family to Colorado, where I learned to ski and make fun of people from Texas.  Around age 21, I moved to Long Beach, California to live with my younger brother and to escape the cold climate.  In Long beach, I learned that men are filthy pigs.  God, I loved Long beach.  I lived there from age 21 until age 29, which is when I moved to Las Vegas to settle down and buy a house with my new love, Paul, who left a 15-year career on cruise ships to be with me.  I've been here now for 11 years and I don't see myself ever leaving.  I love the dry climate and the warm winters.

While I was in Long Beach, I came out.  It was the first time I had ever lived alone (my brother moved away) and far enough away from my family to lead my life as I saw fit.  My first love was a guy who traveled for a living, taking tour groups to Asia.  I joined the group for a trip to Hong Kong and was hooked on travel.  Our romantic relationship was short-lived, but we are still fast friends to this day.  Since that first trip to Asia, I've made four trips to Europe, numerous trips to the South Pacific, and taken several cruises.  This last spring, Paul and I spent two weeks traveling all over Germany.  It was the best trip yet.

I always intended to work on the front lines of the travel industry, but over the years it became obvious that I had a talent for computer programming.  I have worked with or directly for most of the big online travel companies at one time or another, as well as several Las Vegas centered web sites.  I use my years of experience working with various online travel outlets in my current position to create tools for call center agents.  To put it simply, I make the pretty buttons that the reservation agents on the phone press to help customers book and change plane tickets.

I was diagnosed in May of 1994, but Paul stayed with me, even though he was negative.  He still is.  I saw a doctor every 3-4 months for eight years, never taking any medications.  My t-cells never dropped below 400, and my viral load never climbed above 5,000.  That is until one day when they did.

I've been on a combination of Sustiva/Truvada (What was Truvada called before it was combined?  I can't remember.)  My viral load is undectable and my t-cell count is in the 600's.  I don't have much to complain about, but I do anyway.  My dad used to say that  I would complain if I was hung with a new rope.  Texans have lots of dumb saying like that.

I'm glad to be on board (pun intended) and look forward to getting to know you all in the years to come.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2006, 11:10:51 pm »
Javier , Welcome. This is probably one of the best gifts your older brother could have given you!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Javicho

« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2006, 11:11:01 am »
Yes thank you, that's someting that allways will thank my brother. I told him that finally I was able to talk to you guys from all over the country.

Offline goatwriter

« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2006, 11:52:01 am »
Hi Ya
         I'm a heterosexual male from England. I look a bit like a goat I suppose and I'm a Capricorn. I've been poz about 12 years. An ex junkie, inspired by William Burroughs and John Carrol . I lived in the states for 6 years , where I got the taste for heroin and speed and bad boy behaviour. Actually It was more the bad boy behaviour that did it.
 The motorcycles, playboy girlfriend, leather jacket and white t-shirt, the gangster chic that came later. Heroin was a bit of a fashion accessory back then. I saw Nirvana play twice as an opening act. Actually Kurt Cobain would be the same age  as me if he were still alive.
 Good good times. Amazingly I never contracted hiv in that time, even though we were all sharing needles and having bucket loads of unsafe sex. (Yes, us hetro's can be pretty promiscuous too sometimes ;D). I remember meeting people with AIDS , as it was known back then, and I always, I’m glad to say, had some sympathy and  kindness to show to them.
That attitude that would serve me well in later life. I remember being homeless in San Francisco and going down to the AIDS camps down outside the court house or where ever it was.
 But anyway. I left the states after messing up my green card and doing time for selling drugs. And where should I go to start a new life. Thailand.
 Hardly the place for a dangerous hedonist to take it easy. Still took me a few years but I finally managed to contract the virus. And then my whole life changed. I knew almost in a moment that I didn't want to do drugs anymore and that I wanted to follow a spiritual path.
 Difficult times. Had to call my parents and ask them for money to get home, cold turkey and friends in a speed and ecstasy scene. But I worked on a farm and got some money together and travelled overland through the middle east to India. I spent the next two and half years in India studying and practising Buddhism.
 Finally I returned to England and moved to London and met the first poz people since I was diagnosed 6 years before, at a support group. I realised that there were many things, as spiritual as I was, that I still had to deal with. And I still am.
 The worst thing for me about being poz ,by far , is the sex and relationship thing. I miss being a slut sometimes, I really do. but more than that I miss that I don’t believe in romantic love anymore. That girl who works in the cafe, the one that smiled at me in the street. I just don't feel I have the right to pursue them, or I'm too afraid of being disappointed.
Recently I've gotten back into the hiv scene. My main interest at the moment is around criminalisation, ethics, statistics, relationships, support and networking. I'm angry at seeing the rights of poz people being suppressed or ignored.
I’m hoping for some good debates and informative talks on this forum and to make some new friends.
And I can be a bit of a devils advocate too somtimes and a bit un p.c. , but I dont mean any harm. I think I'm a very liberal and open minded person, just a bit goatish sometimes.

Offline vegaslocal39

« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2006, 12:41:57 pm »
Wow, goatwriter!  What an amazing story.  I envy people who delve into spirituality.  I have no idea what that would be like.  I live in a rigid world where everything has to be "just so".  What must it be like to take off to explore a foreign culture for a couple of years?  Wow....scary.

Offline RyanFL

• Myspace
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2006, 10:26:58 am »
Ryan here. I am 29 and tested positive Sept 19, 2005. I have only been to the doctor 3 times since then. The last my count was cd4 601 VL: 35,000. I have not dealt with the whole HIV thing very well ,that is why I joined this forum I guess to read what others are going thru and such .I get ill just thinking about going to see the doctor and have been trying to keep up with my appointments but its hard on me. lately I have just gave up altogether. I live with my boyfriend Paul who is 18. I am unsure of his status but have a feeling he is positive, He new my status and we have always had safe sex except 2 times. Well thats about it for now I hate talking to much about myself...

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2006, 05:39:31 am »
Hi All,

I am Eldon. I am here to share, understand, enocourage, and learn.

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

Hi Eldon,

I am curious about who is behind all the positive reactions......can you tell more?

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.