Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 11:09:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 134
Total: 134

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mexico City Planned Activities  (Read 17154 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

Mexico City Planned Activities
« on: February 19, 2008, 03:41:11 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Planning for AMG 2008 in Mexico City is well underway.  Now is your chance to give the coordinators some idea on the types of things you would like to see take place.  We will of course have the Memorial Service and Meet and Greet.  What else would you like to see on the daily itinerary.

Offline David_CA

Re: Mexico City Planned Activities
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 04:17:24 pm »
I'd enjoy some sort of walking tour like the one allanq put together in S.F.  I realize M.C. is a big city, but perhaps we can choose a particularly scenic / historic / interesting section. 

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 05:02:35 pm »
I would think it would be sad for us not to be able to visit Teotihuacán while in Mexico City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teotihuacan

I'm sure we can easily find day trip tour buses to go there, as you see it's 25 miles away.  In fact, it's one of the primary reason I want to attend.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jody

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:26:29 pm »
I would also like to see Teotihuacan as Philly points out.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline mjmel

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 03:46:43 am »
-visit IAC's Global Villiage on 7th or 8th.
-Teotihuacan: ancient Toltec Pyramids. BTW, a guided tour will cost around $50 (USD) per person.
On our own, Metro/bus trip = $15 RT. Morning is preferable due to afternoon rains during month of August.
-Xochimilco, floating water gardens.
-Zocalo, The Plaza de la Constitución. This is where the great Cathedral is located as well as Museo del Templo Mayor which is of Aztec Empires most sacred site.
-Chapultepec Park: Contains Chapultepec Castle, Anthropology Museum (two days by itself), Modern Art Museum. Generally,  2,100 acres with a lake where you can rent boats to row in the lake and botanical garden with a Zoo park. Just two subway stops from Zona Rosa subway station. This may be a great area for a memorial/tribute circle.
-Sprinkle in some nightlife and you have a weeks worth of sightseeing.

Note: some attractions are free to public on Sundays so expect very crowded conditions. That means crowded Metro too. A good time to chill with Bloody Marys to recoup from Saturday night Margaritas. Also noteworthy, many museums are closed on Mondays.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:49:59 am by mjmel »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:20:03 am »
Perhaps the Monday then would be well suited to the guided bus tour of Teotihuacan since museums in MC itself will be closed, as in most cities worldwide.  $50 is quite reasonable for having a guide -- I assume that includes the cost of the bus?  Please remember to tip your guide :)

Thanks, Mike

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 10:47:37 am »
I did a little research last evening and came upon this tour for $35 per person. 

Mike / Philly, is this what we're looking for?

Guadalupe Shrine and Teotihuacan Pyramids   

Highlights: We will begin our journey visiting the Square of the three cultures, where the past and the present mix, we will also visit the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of America   

From  35.00 USD per adult 

Type: Tours around Mexico City 
  Departs From: Mexico City
  Meeting Point:  Pick up at your hotel 
  Duration: 6 hours
  Available: daily Go to price information 

Description:
We will begin our journey visiting the Square of the three cultures, where the past and the present mix, we will also visit the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of America; continue to the impressive archaeological zone of Teotihuacan, to admire the monumental Pyramids of the Sun and the Moon, the temple of Quetzalpapalotl, the citadel and the avenue of the dead. We will also visit an arts & crafts center. Pick Up 09:00am.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:49:44 am by AMG Coordinator »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:06:16 am »
I don't particularly care about the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and provide a link to read up on it below.  However, it is the most visited religious shrine in Mexico.  I'd not be surprised if the most commonly found tours include this, as I'm sure a more archaeological oriented guided tour of Teotihuacán might bore people (though not me).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Guadalupe

People go to this basilica NOT for the exterior architecture/actual building, but to see a relic/image of Our Lady of Guadalupe.  Dunno, but if you're not Catholic and Latin American I don't see it meaning that much.

Can we just decide on if we want a day and/or how many hours are required before committing to actually booking this so far in advance.  I'm sure more research into available tours might allow to locate something more in depth perhaps.  I'd be interested to see what mjmel/Mike's $50 tour actually focused on.  It might be fascinating to simply combine this tour with a visit to the Museum of Anthropology in MC proper, though that might prevent a Monday booking.  For example, all of the murals from one compound in Teotihuacán were removed to this museum, so it gives one a more proper exposure overall to pre-Columbian Mesoamerican culture.  The famous Aztec Calendar Stone is also in that museum, though it's not associated with Teotihuacán, there's much much more there to see.

Perhaps Tim Horn could weigh in on what would make the best total day in terms of this kind of tour.  I'd think also that most people would prefer a day trip combo tour that included Xochimilco, though maybe that's very accessible from the city center on our own? 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:14:03 am by philly267 »

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 11:44:26 am »
I like the way this is looking.  Some good ideas here.  It sounds to me like Philly knows his stuff so when it comes to the tour, I'll be his shadow.

I don't have much to contribute here.  All I know is I read the book AZTEC  (ahem, hint, hint..."“A dazzling and hypnotic historical novel.”--The New York Times) that the place sounds incredible.

As I recall, in San Francisco, had our memorial service late Friday morning and afterwards different groups went their own ways to discover the city and the parks.  On Saturday morning we had our walking tour which ended at noon at the Wharf.  Some had lunch together, others went on to Alcatraz and  others back to the hotel to rest.  Keep that in  mind.  I might be difficult to commit an entire day to a tour.  Some of us might need to come home and rest.

robert

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 01:59:47 pm »
Thanks Philly.  I was is no way implying we book something this week.  However, it is pertinent to find a few tour companies so the tour particulars can be presented to the group and a discount negotiated with the tour company chosen.  Payment options will also need to be negotiated.  I presented the information I did to see if my research is on trek with what was suggested here.  I'm with Robert.  I'll leave this aspect to you.  I wouldn't wait too long though.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 10:32:57 pm »
Booking Guided Tours: They are satisfying for many people. I do not find unannounced stops at trinket shops and restaurants I don't choose to be enjoyable. This is is frequent complaint about booking Tours in Mexico City. So that's my beef with "Guided Tours". Having said that it's not an attitude I have copped but more a preference. No problem, really. I'll take the subway and see ya'll there. I love the adventure of doing a subway trip during morning rush hour in a city of 19.2 million. The bus (hopefully with goats, chickens and a squealing piglet) stops at the front gate (#1) and picks up returning passengers to MC at gates 2 and 3.
Teotihuacan Pyramids is a self-guided experience for most. Upon paying admission you are handed a pamphlet which has a layout of the Pyramid of the Sun, of the Moon, and the other sacred alter..... then one reads and walks through the experience. So says the tripadvisor forum members of the different places I sought to research.
Just offering a bit of insight here; don't mean to rain on anyone's parade or preferences.
Most would likely enjoy a bused tour. 

Oh! Agree with David on Our Lady the Catholic shrine. Speaking of Our Lady of Guadalupe, it's usually a good omen when you see a little plastic statue of Our Lady on the dash of a cab.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:40:18 pm by mjmel »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »
Honey, I don't think the subway runs out to the pyramids.  That's why we're suggested a tour for that, and that alone.  The religious shrine is included because it's right next to it (or something).  I merely suggested the Museum as a drop off point after the bus tour to the pyramids, to provide historical continuity.

Unless you're planning on renting a car, of course.  Then I'd be up for it, but do NOT expect me to drive.  I definitely don't "need" a guided tour for anything.  I just need to get out there, but like I said it's 25 miles away, and I'd assume as a practical matter in a city of that size and that chaotic it takes 2 hours to travel there from the city center.

edit:  you want to take a public bus out there?  That frightens me frankly.  Not that long of a distance.  Subway is one thing in the city center... totally different.  I can't imagine taking public transportation without speaking Spanish, the same as trying to get to Peter the Great's palace from a hotel in central St. Petersburg.  Never would do it, and frankly I have tons of foreign travel experience but I know my limits.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:42:46 pm by philly267 »

Offline mjmel

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 10:42:46 pm »
OK. I get it, David.
Subway doesn't travel to pyramids direct. Subway travels to NORTH BUS TERMINAL. Then one takes the correct bus to the pyramids. Total time: 30 to 45 mins. I see your point on manuvering a group from point A to point B on mass transit.
Rent a car? Ha! Suicide.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:46:46 pm by mjmel »

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 06:58:00 am »
Getting to Los Pyramides is very easy. All that's needed is a ride on the yellow metro line (Line 5, I believe) to Autobuses del Norte. From the northern terminal (there are four main bus terminals in Mexico City), there is a bus line that that only travels to and from Teotihuacan, leaving every 30 minutes or so. I seem to remember it taking about an hour to get there. My recommendation: do the pyramids early in the day.  The site can get very crowded by early afternoon and the last thing everyone needs is to get caught in the late afternoon rain. 

You'll also want to take some time to visit -- and walk -- Coyoacan, in the southern part of the city. It's a beautiful area and one of my favorite colonias. Here you'll find Frida Kahlo's house (converted to a nicely currated museum), the Plaza Hidalgo, and some terrific restaurants. You'll also find one of the best Mexican mercados in the city here -- and you simply haven't been to Mexico until you've visited a real Mexican market, walked to rows upon rows of gorgeous produce and chilis, and sat down for a five-peso ($0.50) lunch of fish tacos and ceviche.

And while you're in the southern part of Mexico City, be sure to check out Xochimilco -- a very relaxing way to spend an afternoon, especially after walking around Coyoacan.

Tim

Offline allanq

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 11:19:47 am »
Hey Tim, how about staying on in Mexico City after the conference and leading a walk around a part of the city that you think would be interesting.

Allan
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 11:38:22 am by allanq »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 12:03:43 pm »
Cool, so we don't need to take a tour bus.  Love the idea of a Frida Kahlo pilgrimage.  Thanks for that input, Tim.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 02:12:17 pm »
btw: there was a 36 Hours in Mexico City article in this weekend's New York Times that board members may wish to read.

Also, a great article from their food section in January:  In Mexico City, Regional Flavors Unchanged by the Big City

I found these from an overview section of collected articles about MC in the Times: source
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:34:12 pm by philly267 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 06:21:58 pm »
OK folks, I've just found the name of a wild drag queen night club called La Perla we can go to.  The DJ plays music from inside a giant oyster shell.

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 06:34:16 pm »
Please reserve this thread only for suggestions on planned outings you'd like to see put on the official AMG '08 itinerary.  The coordinators will be reviewing this thread frequently and would be easier to dissect if kept on topic.

Thanks!

Offline mjmel

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 08:08:13 am »
A tour bus to the pyramids would be in order, and the expense justified, I believe. It would secure the group as a unit for the duration (no one getting lost or seperated on the subway) of exploring that wonderous place. If we could hire a tour bus to take us to the pyramids straightway (without stops) and then drop us off at the Zocalo area (without stops)--that would place us in an area that we'd want to explore and an area having of many restaraunts too. From the Zocalo it's an easy manuver back to hotel (if in Zona Rosa) using the subway system--maybe 2 or 3 stations away. If Holiday Inn is selected as our designated hotel, then we would already be at home base as it's located at Zocalo (the sqaure).

Morning excursion is strongly encouraged on this one due to afternoon rains which are frequent. So if we could get there by 9 am and depart by noon-1pm, it would allow enough hours to see the site fully and collect group members without feeling rushed.

As a solo traveler, for the most part, I tend to do stuff on my own so I think independently. That is why my original though on this was set on the subway system. However, this isn't the wise way to go with a group. Most of us will not speak the native tongue plus it's easy for a handful to get around but a group of 20, 30 or above requires a bus.
So hows that for a suggestion, Mr. AMG Coordinator and fellow attendees.

Mike

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 10:04:47 am »
I fully agree, Mike.  I remember trying to get our group to the Aids Memorial in San Francisco.  It was a bit hectic trying to get cabs for the entire group.  I could just imagine trying to get the entire group on public transportation without a small percentage getting lost.

A tour bus to the pyramids would be in order, and the expense justified, I believe. It would secure the group as a unit for the duration (no one getting lost or seperated on the subway) of exploring that wonderous place. If we could hire a tour bus to take us to the pyramids straightway (without stops) and then drop us off at the Zocalo area (without stops)--that would place us in an area that we'd want to explore and an area having of many restaraunts too. From the Zocalo it's an easy manuver back to hotel (if in Zona Rosa) using the subway system--maybe 2 or 3 stations away. If Holiday Inn is selected as our designated hotel, then we would already be at home base as it's located at Zocalo (the sqaure).

Morning excursion is strongly encouraged on this one due to afternoon rains which are frequent. So if we could get there by 9 am and depart by noon-1pm, it would allow enough hours to see the site fully and collect group members without feeling rushed.

As a solo traveler, for the most part, I tend to do stuff on my own so I think independently. That is why my original though on this was set on the subway system. However, this isn't the wise way to go with a group. Most of us will not speak the native tongue plus it's easy for a handful to get around but a group of 20, 30 or above requires a bus.
So hows that for a suggestion, Mr. AMG Coordinator and fellow attendees.

Mike

Offline David_CA

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 01:05:41 pm »
I think we're gonna be in good hands with Dennis' and Mike's planning.  Thanks for putting forth the effort; I appreciate it!

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 12:49:14 am »
Any other suggestions?

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 11:57:31 am »
I was wondering if there is someone who speaks a little spanish that can answer a thread i posted in the spanish forum (vivr con vih) about AMG 08. There are couple of people from Mexico writing in there and perhaps they can join the AMG and help you with the guidance in the city and language stuff.

Cheers, Juan Carlos (thinking next AMG could be in the middle of the world.... Ecuador!!!!) :)
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 04:03:14 pm »
Just read a  good article in Sunday paper about touring in Mexico City..."Peace of mind in Mexico City"  by..  liliff@dallasnews.com     some good suggestions and contacts for personal /small group tours....   sample tour (video)  ...dallasnews.com/travel      Mexico city...take a look
also posted contacts of registered guides   , netouring@hotmail.com   , fernandoledezmarios@yahoo.com and   sklescaleraalcielo@hotmail.com...
Anyone ever use one of these people????   anyone interested in forming a small group  and hiring one of these guys???

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 10:46:53 am »
Nick...

these sound really good.  I don't know anything about any of them but I'm certainly interested in joining you.  Can we sign these people up when we get there or do we need advance reservations?  I betcha once we're there, a lot of people will sign on.

thanks for the links..

by the way, Have you read the book Aztec ?  Tim recommended it.  It's a wonderful read and will really prepare you for your trip to MC. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.