Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:13:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 571
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 548
Total: 548

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Advice needed. How to get high fever down!!  (Read 8197 times)

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
Advice needed. How to get high fever down!!
« on: February 01, 2007, 10:55:30 am »
Dan has the flue and has a temperature of 104.2. Needless to say he feels like shit.
He is taking Tylenol every four hours and is drinking a lot of fluids and resting.
My HIV doc said the high fever was "the" sign for flue, and that there is nothing more you can do then rest and drink.

How have you helped yourself when experiencing high fever?

Thank you in advance...

Hermie :-[
Who had surgery under  full anesthesia yesterday to remove fibroid tissue from his rectum  and needs some advice on how to ease the pain when having stool. It stings more then I can take...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 11:00:08 am by heartforyou »
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Christine

Re: Advice needed. How to get high fever down!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 11:05:08 am »
Hi Hermie,
I am sorry you and Dan are not feeling well. After I had my appendix out, I had a very high fever that would not break. While in the hospital, I had an ice bath with alcohol. The nurses wiped me down (whole body) with a wash cloth that was soaked in ice water and rubbing alcohol. It helped to break the fever, but it was pretty horrible to experience. Really bad chills, and shivering.

I have done the same thing at home, but only place the wash cloth on my head, and sometimes rub down my arms and legs.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 11:08:59 am »
Kurt and I consulted on this since HE is the one who has been throught 104 fevers before:
He said, go to the hospital , at 104 plus your brain is getting fried.
And in the meantime its ibuprophen, cold compresses and fluids.
The biggest danger is dehydration.
GOOD LUCK
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 11:12:13 am »
Hi Heart

My cousins who get sick quite often from colds and flu's swear Advil Mult-Symptom Capsules help you feel better. They come in a red box and can be bought over the counter. In NYC, you have to ask the pharmicist to hand them over to you, I guess because they are so powerful. My mother took it last month and felt better in 2 days. My mother use to put some warm tomatoes in my socks and make me wear them while in bed. It sounds funny but it kept my body cool, at least my feet. Hope he feels much better soon.

Hugs
Al
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 11:19:07 am »
When Kurts fever reached 104 he said: Joel its time to go to the hospital. SO.....I got him to the emergency room asap.  They gave him IV fluids and in about 2 hours his fever was down.
Then on one occasion it turned out he had PNEUMONIA....not PCP...just plain old pneumonia and was admitted.
How does Dan's doctor know there isnt something else going on.
Someone needs to get Dan to the emergency room.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 11:25:13 am »
That kind of fever is way too high for an adult!!!!!!!!

DAN GET YOUR ASS TO THE ER RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 11:50:17 am »

I agree with the others Dan should go to the ER if the fever continues to persist even with the use of Tylenol.

Hermie as far as the painful stools go I am not sure this will help, but it might.  Two years ago I suffered from diverticulitis...  I took Metamucil three times daily to keep everything flowing the way it should.  When I had to go, the stool just kind of flowed out and I barely knew it...lol.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 11:53:38 am »
104 plus your brain is getting fried.

I was going to say the same thing.  101 is one thing... 104 is a different ballpark.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 11:57:39 am »
I would agree. 106 the Brain starts to damage. I had a 105 and was taking aspirin but the er gave me ibuprofen and it went down you may want to try aspirin. I would still get to the ER though. I would think the doctor would have told you that already
Meds doing well so far.

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 12:41:49 pm »
I checked with Dan. He has taken some "aspirin" 2 minutes ago. The fever was down to 103.6
He will monitor it closely. Should it get higher again by tonight he will go to the ER. Thank you all for your advises.

I just found out that for immediate relief I need a suppository with glycerin and a liquid to soften the stool in the next days.
Horrible : feeling the need to go, but knowing the one relief will give you  razorblade pains...

We will make it... thank you all and I'll keep you posted.

hermie

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 12:50:32 pm »
hermie...

you and dan are a basket case.  What are we going to do about you? 

Now, Dan, I like Therma-FLU.  CAn you get your mamma to stop vacuuming for one second and go to the store and get you some?  I'm thinking of you Danny.  Being sick is no fun.

Hermie...ouch..hope you get better real fast.

robert

Offline bear60

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 12:56:56 pm »
Thanks for the update Hermie
My stomach went all in a knot because I remember how bad it was for Kurt when his temp went to 104 plus. Please encourage Dan to drink something like Gatoraid as it contains beneficial ingredients.
Glad you are OK too.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 01:23:48 pm »
Hermie, there is a way to do it, but someone has to be with the person when it's done. It's rapid and we do it in the hospital all the time to lower high temps. Take crushed ice, add a little water and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol and rub lightly on the neck, arms and legs. You have to continue to monitor the temp so you don't drop it down to far. We do other things but I don't think Dan would handle it.  ;) Then again he might like it.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 04:30:43 pm by RapidRod »

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 02:09:36 pm »
I got myself the solution to my suffering......see pic...glycerin suppository
NO pleasure experienced shoving it up my butt....

The full anesthesia  slows down all the vital systems and also the peripheral nervous system, which controls the bowel movement.
I also got myself some sachets to loosen the stool.. thanks Thomas...

Thank you all.

Hermie :-\

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 02:11:51 pm »
ouchy
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 02:39:47 pm »
I have always been told that a fever of 103 or higher should definitely go to the ER right away because the brain is being fried and complications could occur if immediate action is not taken. I think it's worth the trip to the ER now if he is still experiencing a high fever.

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 04:00:06 pm »
Hi Hermie

I'm sorry that both of you guys are having such a rough time right now.   Dan's high temp. concerns me.   When mine was that high, they would use ice packs under my arms and on the groin area....and when you are already having violent chills, those ice packs are no fun.   But that temp. needs to come down.   Keep us posted.....

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 04:28:50 pm »
I agree with the others to get to the ER.  Keep monitoring, but if it doesn't start going down, just go.  The ice thing Rod mentioned is something done a lot, but it would do well to at least bring him to ER to make sure something else isn't going on.  I remember being rushed to ER when my temp got to 106--I don't remember anything that went on while there, but the next thing I was aware of I was in the hospital in isolation because they didn't know what I had.  Anyhow, that was the beginning of my fun battle with CMV with doctors poking, prodding me, taking bone marrow, CSF, tons of blood, before they figured out it was CMV.  So anyway, moral of the story is--make sure it isn't anything serious.  At the very least, they will give him fluids, etc lower his temp, send him on home or admit him for observation, but better to be safe than sorry.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 06:35:43 pm »
Well, good news. Dan's temperature went down to 100.6
He will keep it closely monitored....
The flue is no joking matter..

As for me.. I had bowel movement... and yes, it hurt like hell...
I put a towel between my teeth and went for it..
At least I don't have that terrible urge no more to go combined with the harsh pain.

Oh ma looord
Not the best of days today for Dan and me.

Thanks

hermie :-\

Offline Nadine

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 06:47:15 pm »
I'm happy to hear you've both gotten some relief!

Dan J.

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 07:00:01 pm »
What would I do without my Hermie?  We have been "nursing" one anothers aches, pains & fevers via MSN Messenger today. I am on a roller coaster ride with my fever. I just took it and it's back up to 102.3. The nurse at the Dr.'s office said there wasn't much they could do for me, just keep pushing fluids, take tylenol every 4 hours  & stay in bed.

Thank you all for your responses.

Dan

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 07:07:15 pm »
Dan, if it goes back up to 104 you go on to the ER, ok?   Can someone take you?   Keep taking it at least every half hour.

Love you,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 07:11:33 pm »
I'd be careful of taking so much Tylenol Dan, especially Q 4 hours. 

Going off the top of my head here, but I recall that the max dose/24 hours is 2000mg (1000mg for people with liver dysfunction).  I have no idea what your liver enzymes are like, but it's something to watch out for.

If possible I would alternate with ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil), just to get the burden off your liver.

And push the fluids if you're able to keep them down (Gatorade is a wonderful suggestion)...if you're not able to keep them down I'd advise going to the ER.  When people come into the ER, we usually will give Ibuprofen 600mg/Tylenol 1000mg together initially.

I will make icepacks for patients, and like Alan said, under the pits, in the groin and along the back of the neck.  Use a ziplock baggie covered with a washcloth, but don't let it stay on forever because it'll freeze your skin.

Hope you feel better, but don't hesitate to go to the ER if this continues.  Something ain't right!
(hope thing go better with you too Hermie!)

Take care,
John

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 07:24:53 pm »
I think you should go to the ER.....it's better to have medical professionals monitor you while you have such a high fever.  It's better to be safe....just make sure you are keeping cool and drinking lots of fluids.  I hope you feel better soon and your fever will reduce....

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline Blixer

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 07:35:19 pm »
Dan,
Do be careful.  As others have said a fever like that can be very dangerous.  Better not to take chances if it creeps back up toward that 104 for sure.  And I've also been told to be careful about the Tylenol.  My ID recommended Ibuprofen rather than Tylenol due to liver issues with the Tylenon.

Good that you feel like keeping us updated, but don't take any chances.  HIV is bad enough, you don't need to overheat your brain too.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 07:59:44 pm »
Hermie,
I'm so glad Dan's temp is going down!

One down one to go.

Now for you...Thanks for that visual....Now if you could just explain where that thing goes.

Good luck! I hope it's "soft" and goes in easy.

Good Times ahead, hang in there boys!
Positive since 1985

Offline heartforyou

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2007, 04:56:14 am »
I hope Danny boy will still be asleep.

As for me... my inside feels like a volcano, after a violent  eruption.
And the pot looks like a scene from "the slaughterhouse" every time I "go".
Luckily I am no sissy when it comes to pain... but it sure stings..

Jeff.. these are glycerin soft suppositories.. well "soft" is hard enough when your inside feels like raw flesh...
But for all those who lived  through  the early days of AIDS with  PCP etc. you know this is peanuts...

Hermie

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2007, 06:03:02 am »
My friend Felix had warts removed from his "butt" a few weeks ago. Every time he went to the WC the pain lasted for an hour or so. It took him 8 days to be copletely recovered. I hope you feel better soon.
Dan, maybe you should take only aspirins instead of tylenol if your liver enzimes are elevated. Aspirin is bad for your stomach but not for your liver.
Feel better soon  :-* :-* :-*
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.