Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:50:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 329
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Trial Begins for HIV Gene Therapy  (Read 13734 times)

Offline datdude

Trial Begins for HIV Gene Therapy
« on: February 03, 2009, 02:35:36 pm »
Gene therapy that could immunize people against the most common type of HIV is ready to be tested on humans.

Recruiting for the trial began Tuesday, and the first people to receive the experimental treatment will be HIV patients with drug-resistance problems.

"We do have good treatments for HIV. That has been one of the most successful stories of the last 20 years in medicine," said Pablo Tebas, an infectious disease expert at the University of Pennsylvania.

"However, over time, if the medications are not taken properly, individuals develop resistance to the HIV treatments, so they tend to have more limited therapeutic options."

Since the discovery that a small portion of people who are exposed to HIV do not get infected, scientists have been working to discover the secret to those people's resistance and how to make others resistant as well.

It turns out that most people have a gene called CCR5, which makes them vulnerable to HIV infections. The naturally resistant people have mutant CCR5 genes that inhibit HIV.

Previously, scientists found that by cutting the CCR5 gene out of white blood cells involved in the immune response known as T-cells, they could protect a tube full of human cells from the virus. The gene editing technique relies on proteins called zinc finger nucleases that can delete any gene from a living cell.

In theory, zinc finger nucleases could give that immunity to anyone.

The procedure is simple: Take some healthy T-cells out of an HIV patient, clip out their CCR5 genes, grow more of these clipped T-cells in a dish, and then put them back in the patient.

"In this first study we will re-infuse approximately 10 billion of these cells back into the participants, and we will see if it is safe and if those cells inhibit HIV replication in vivo," said Tebas. "We know they do in the test tube."

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/02/hivtreatment.html

Offline freewillie99

Re: Trial Begins for HIV Gene Therapy
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »
Huge news!!

Let's hope zinc gives HIV the finger!
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:55:25 pm »
I swear if this works I'm going to retire and start a band called ZincFinger.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:48:29 pm by freewillie99 »

Offline veritas

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 03:59:02 pm »

freewillie99,

Can I be one of "The Boys in the Band" ? (lol).

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:00:57 pm »
freewillie99,

Can I be one of "The Boys in the Band" ? (lol).

Groupies are always welcome!

Offline veritas

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:20:35 pm »

freewillie99,

WOOHOO!

"A groupie is a person who seeks sexual and/or emotional intimacy with a celebrity."

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:43:59 pm »
but if they succeed in cutting off  the CCR5 or remove it,wouldnt the virus just still infect the CD4 using the CXCR4 ?
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 09:16:59 pm »
but if they succeed in cutting off  the CCR5 or remove it,wouldnt the virus just still infect the CD4 using the CXCR4 ?

Theoretically, yes. That's not to say that a different regimen can't be developed targeting x4-tropic virus. The link below is an excellent overview of CCR5 and CCRX4 and to what extent they are found among 865 samples of HIV-infected individuals. Basically, "Overall, 80% of the viruses tested exclusively utilized the R5 receptor; only 4 samples exclusively used X4, while the remainder were dual tropic (R5/X4). The prevalence of R5 virus was not influenced by age, gender, virus clade, ethnicity or antiretroviral exposure." Apparently after initial exposure and for a long time afterward, most people have CCR5-tropic virus.

http://www.thebody.com/content/art15559.html

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:39:41 pm »

As pointed out above, only if the strain was dual tropic.  There's no information I've ever read about that says once an R5 oriented virus is blocked that it would therefore mutate to become X4 tropic.

Offline veritas

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 06:01:20 am »

Found this study:

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2005/12/2145.ars

(Once the virus takes hold and begins replicating, it typically evolves to use the CXCR4 receptor.)

It's a toss-up.

veritas

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 07:34:15 am »
"Apparently after initial exposure and for a long time afterward, most people have CCR5-tropic virus. "

does that mean drug experienced patients will have the 2 types of receptors after several years of being on medication ? which means they wouldnt benifit from the current study if it's proven sccessfull ?

Offline veritas

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 08:40:11 am »

sensual1973,

this therapy will not work on X4. The potential to have X4 increases the longer you have the virus.

veritas

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 12:22:20 pm »
almost 5years on drugs here (poz since 2001) is that long enough to make me almost excluded from benifiting from the study ?

Offline veritas

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 12:43:55 pm »

You have to take a trophism test to determine which receptor is present. In order to take that test you must have a viral load of at least 1000. So the short answer is: "It's a toss up".

veritas

Offline HALOO

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 03:19:36 pm »
I see this as a good sign for starting HIV Gene Therapy.

There is two HIV Gene Therapy now that is this one and VRX496.

If both of this become successful, we will now move beyond HAART and more HIV Gene Therapy will come.

This is good starting. Be Strong.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 05:53:12 pm »

does that mean drug experienced patients will have the 2 types of receptors after several years of being on medication ? which means they wouldnt benifit from the current study if it's proven sccessfull ?

What's weird is that the patient in Germany, who was cured of HIV and lymphoma through the bone marrow transplant that used a donor with the delta-32 mutation, had dual-tropic virus to begin with. You would think that if his CCR5-tropic virus was blocked after the transplant that his CXCR4 virus would have taken hold but it hasn't so far.

Not only has the HIV not come back but testing shows fewer and fewer antibodies to HIV, making the doctors speculate that there will come a point when he will actually test HIV-Negative.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 06:14:08 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline tkeyspet

• TK its me lol
    • http://comsoftlimbe.yolasite.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 04:09:38 am »
Yap the personalised version will have success since the body is able to heal itself from many infections, to connect i think i was reading about another 1 personalised trials thats showing efficacy, i think this is the right direction as opposed with a universal drug with a disease that mutates accross a population, this will show significance  ;D i am very hope about this, in general the personalised approach rather than the gene therapy Zinc Fingers but they could also work, according to the results its good,   ;) im betting my chances on the personalised version, they all sound as if they are going to work but when its testing time its when they scrap their theories,  8) i can bet on gene therapy first becoz if they also work out from what i hav been reading they could start from the root where the cell are manufactured and ensure that the blood cells manufactured are already immune to the virus  ::) Zinc Fingers lets Hope It works
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:14:27 am by tkeyspet »

Offline hahaha

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 04:32:09 am »
Yap the personalised version will have success since the body is able to heal itself from many infections, to connect i think i was reading about another 1 personalised trials thats showing efficacy,
That is an interesting thing.  Can you share with us the news (or the gossip ;D) about "another 1 personalized trial thats showing efficacy?". 

Love to hear the story. Tx
Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline postino

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 06:30:41 am »
New gene therapy halts 2 boys' rare brain disease

WASHINGTON – French scientists mixed gene therapy and bone marrow transplants in two boys to seemingly halt a brain disease that can kill by adolescence.
The surprise ingredient:
They disabled the HIV virus so it couldn't cause AIDS, and then used it to carry in the healthy new gene.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_med_gene_therapy

Offline tkeyspet

• TK its me lol
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 09:16:20 am »
Great Success, i personally think gene therapy holds key to more disease, :D i think there are more research going on and results may be coming from time to time, but some questions of this post, the boys were given a killed form of the virus (hiv) as the delivery vehicle of normal cells, thats wat i put trust on like putting taking hold of the root bone marrow so that cells made from there are modified and can resist attacks from the virus, however i dont see a lot of reports about this on HIV and please clarify on the boys infection with a killed virus, any risk them getting infected later on???.

Offline tkeyspet

• TK its me lol
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 10:52:01 am »
That is an interesting thing.  Can you share with us the news (or the gossip ;D) about "another 1 personalized trial thats showing efficacy?". 

Love to hear the story. Tx

Argos Therapeutics to Discuss Personalized Dendritic Cell Immunotherapy  any idea on this one

and i am getting Confused Zinc Fingers, dendric cells most recent post and this gene therapy

http://www.asgt.org/am09/asgct_news/index.php?pagecontent=page2&sessioncontent=11

it sounded the most promsing if you read carefully the number of weeks, also look at the approach, any progress anyone who knows.

Offline barbod

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 06:19:26 am »
If the CCR5 receptor cut off, so it would be somehow strange for virus to mutates within its short lifetime and then become CXCR4 tropic.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.