Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:45:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 336
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cognitive effects of HIV and HIV treatment  (Read 7990 times)

Offline nxt1001

Cognitive effects of HIV and HIV treatment
« on: February 12, 2016, 05:29:21 pm »
I'm worried about the cognitive side effects of many HIV treatments and HIV associated neurocognitive decline. I've already noticed since starting triumeq that I can't concentrate as well as I used to. I find myself getting distracted at work, or my thoughts wandering when trying to read. I also seem to zone out more often. I've been reading about the side effects of many HIV drugs. Pretty much all of them can cause "brain fog" type symptoms and exacerbate preexisting depression. I've also been reading about neurocognitive effects of the virus itself. About half of all HIV patients develop neurocogitive disorder. It can range from a decrease in cognitive/learning ability to a noticeable effect on daily life to even full on dementia.

My career requires me to keep a sharp mind. If my cognitive abilities start declining now, I'm going to be stuck in lower level positions the rest of my life. I also used to enjoy reading and learning new things, but I can already feel a slight loss of interest and ability in those things. I feel like I've been taking xanax every day (without the benefit of being less anxious). Maybe that's just worsening depression or temporary side effects of the new meds, but I'm still worried about early mental decline from the virus itself. I don't want to end up as a 30 year old with noticeably deteriorating mental ability.

Offline 90szeitgeist

Re: Cognitive effects of HIV and HIV treatment
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 05:40:07 pm »
As for the 'Half of all HIV patients develop neurocognitive disorder' - the test is probably way too sensitive. I remember reading several studies where the same test was being applied to the general (gay) population and the % of neurocognitive disorder was only slightly lower.

That being said, brain imaging have shown HIV to age the brain between 15-20 years, even with succesful treatment. I read a more recent study with brain imaging as well, where it showed that positive people who exercised regularly had a brain that was 10 year younger than their non-exercising positive counterparts. So it is possible to mitigate some of the damage through exercise. Creatine has also shown some effect in protecting the brain and so has anti-inflammatory food. Stay away from alcohol, drugs and smoking. Depression also rapidly ages your brain . You have to work harder to stay young in body and mind. HIV and aging in general brings forth neurocognitive decline - it is something we just have to accept.

Sorry for not linking said studies - some of them I've encountered on this forum.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 05:56:58 am »
some meds will have serious effects on the brain and others will have little to no effects.  find the combo that works best for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 12:40:23 am »
Losing interest in things, or getting distracted doesn't sound anything like brain fog. That sounds like a mind that is engaged elsewhere.

As to the 50% statistic of positive people having some form of neurocognitive deficit, the very same tests show  a high percentage of matched HIV negative controls have neurocognitive deficit.
As a group we're only marginally different from the HIV negative population.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 06:27:55 am »
Nxt, I'm going to be frank here.  What it sounds like to me is depression.  I have not read through your other posts, but I know a lot of us in the HIV+ population do have depression.  I don't know your story but I'm assuming you're not a long term survivor, which means you were diagnosed prior to 1996, when the newer meds started saving lives. I believe cognitive decline happens mostly in the population who are long term survivors. 

I like to learn new things also.  I would suggest taking a class at an accredited college.  I myself am a long term survivor, diagnosed in the late '80's, but a few years back got my undergrad in psychology.  I can tell you I enjoyed college immensely and it helped my self esteem to learn new things.  I also went through a master's program but when I started to write my thesis I fell and broke my hip, so that ended that (for now lol). 

I love to read also.  I do have periods when concentrating is more difficult than other times, and it's usually when I have something going on in my life that really does need my attention. I just have to figure out what that is, because feelings will come out cross ways and the misinterpretation can cause confusion. 

I would suggest seeing a therapist.  There's nothing wrong with that.  I would be screened for any underlying depression that may be going on and then get it treated.  I went to therapy for quite a while and plan on going back here soon because of some situations that have come up that I don't know how to "Fix" on m own.  Seriously, please do seek help. 

Good luck and I hope to read more from you!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 12:12:56 pm »
Just to echo stuff already said really.

Studies into cognitive decline don't show a massive difference from the neg population, and will usually be factoring in people who have been on drugs for many years, often before the medications became refined and had more serious side effects.

Secondly there are many people in positions of great authority who have HIV and are on treatment. In the UK, we have members of parliament in that situation, and until recently the chairman of one of the countries largest environment agencies was living with HIV. And they are the obvious 'out' people I can think of. One of the effects of HIV treatment being so good these days are that people in high ranking positions or the public eye no longer feel the need to discuss it openly.

I am not in 'great authority' but do have a senior role in a major company to which I need to be alert, keep a sharp mind and face-off to senior executives. I don't experience any noticeable 'brain fog' on my particular regimen, although it was a reason I elected (with my doc) not to start on a particular drug combo (Atripla).

Wandering mind sounds more of an effect of being stressed and/or depressed and having things weighing heavily on you. I doubt very much it is anything specifc to do with your medication or your HIV.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 03:05:32 pm »
In my opinion which is not medical nor expert - just what I've seen frequently around the forum for years - 30 years old is young to have cognitive effects of HIV TREATMENT.   How long have you been treated?

It sounds like a good time to have talks with the doctor who is treating your HIV, as well as your GP - if its not the same person. And perhaps a psychiatrist. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Will1767

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 10:19:10 pm »
Thank you nxt1001 for posting the question.  I have been on treatment for two months (triumeq).  I too feel like my cognative functions are somehow impaired.  I manage a corporation, and also am paid for my brain power.  So it has become a worry of mine too.  I have written this down to ask my ID doctor on next visit.  I think after reading all these respones, that stress and depression related to the virus, might be part of it. So I plan to see a pshycologist.  --Will

Offline heretolearn

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 10:47:12 pm »
I really do think that seroconversion caused some mental issues for me for a while but now that I am healthy again I feel like I am back to normal.

I was reading about how thc passes the blood brain barrier and suppresses the immune system in such a way that protects the brain from damage caused by hiv.

Just Google "hiv thc cb2 receptor". It is pretty interesting.
12/16/15- Dx&Pregnant
12/21/15- Cd4- 39% 902 Vl- 700
1/4/16- started Complera
1/25/16- Vl- 30
2/22/16- Vl- UD
3/14/16- Cd4- 42% 952 Vl- UD
6/16- cd4- 1218 vl- ud

Offline aki-pk

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 06:08:37 am »
I am hiv +ve from Pakistan where discussion on this topic is almost nil. I am very much depressed and there is no forum to discuss issues facing due to my treatment except my doctor. I am on treatment (Efavirenz,Lamivudine &Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate 600+600+300mg) one pill per day since 30th March 2016 i.e.19days have been passed and I remained under great depression,weakness and tired all the time. I start weeping loudly and sometimes just want death instead of life. So I requested my doctor to reconsider my medicine. Now he is changing medicine from tonight. I do not know what will be the effect of new regimen. I am being treated from Shukat Khanum Hospital Lahore. Is there anyone from pakistan to share his views. My CD4 on 17th March 2016 was 359,viral load not tested.
My brain seems foggy and I feel dizziness.Said medicine seems bad effect on brain. Is someone here from Pakistan?

Offline irdo123

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 09:41:44 am »
Hi all,

I think I can calm all of you down a little.

I have severe ADD and tend to get depressed from time to time (was depressed 5 year straight which successfully got treated by therapy and wellbutrin).

I got HIV in december 2013 but didnīt get the diagnosise until 2015 april. When I tested positive in april 2015 the doctor analyzed one of my old blood samples, that was used to syphilis testing, from early january 2014 and saw that I actually had HIV already but it just didnīt come up on the fast test. Which indicates that I got it around december 2013 which fits.

I did not feel good during that period (in the beginning of 2014) so I made enormous life changes. Started working out like crazy and got on a really good diet (didnīt know what was wrong with me).. I started running for at least 15 hours per week. Did feel a little bit better because of this but I noticed I was not able to function in school for the whole year 2014, I failed everything. I felt like I was 80 years old cognitively and got more and more depressed... Didnīt know what the fuck was up with me. Iīm the kind of person that just adapts to every circumstance, turn of my emotion and I just accept the circumstance in 2 minutes time. Therefore I just tried to make the best of it by keep on excercising and eating a very healthy diet.

And then, in april 2015 as I said, I got diagnosed with HIV. I had a viral load of 7000 and CD4 around 450. I had felt terrible for a long time, especially my mental abilities that was totally lost. In may I started treatment with complera. Gradually I started to notice subtle changes in my mental energy levels. And now, over one year later, I feel totally recovered and back to normal again. I feel very good. Iīm only 28 years old but during year 2014 I actuelly felt like I was at lest 80 years old, Itīs almost like I noticed that I was moving closer and closer to death as well, without me knowing what it was.

So what is the point of my post? In my case I went from being a 26 year old that felt like he was at least 85 year old with some signs of dementia to a 28 year old that feel like he is maybe around 22 year old.

I feel very healthy cognitively and physical. I work on it of course, by doing a lot of excercise and eating decent food but my constitution is a lot better now than it was a couple of years ago. I feel wonderful and happy.

Donīt give up, keep on working on your mental health and physical health by treating depression, working out (important to find something you donīt hate), eating balanced and sleeping well. Try to have some near sighted goals in life and find what you want to do and what people you want to be around. Donīt do what other people want you to do, try to do what you want to do.

Good luck
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:46:06 am by irdo123 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.