Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:06:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 108
Total: 108

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Trying to lose weight  (Read 9884 times)

Offline Hzandi

• Success comes in cans, not in cant's
Trying to lose weight
« on: January 27, 2013, 12:23:36 pm »
Hey guys,

I hope you'll be able to help me out here. I have been on Atripla for a month now and really doing well besides the minor rash that is clearing now.

I have been eating very healthy and jogging/walking for about 45minutes at least 5 times a week.

I'll be 30 years old by June and would like to have lost 10k's by that time.   Do you think I will be able to make it?

Do you think its difficult to lose weight when you are on HIV meds or it makes no difference?

You have brains in your head.
 You have feet in your shoes.
 You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
 You're on your own.
 And you know what you know.
 You are the guy who'll decide where to go.
 ~Dr. Seuss

Offline texaninnyc87

Re: Trying to lose weight
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:45:03 pm »
I'm a fitness instructor, and also positive, so maybe i can help you out a little here!

In terms of medications, I dont think any pills have a direct effect on your ability to lose weight but may have side effects that could affect weight loss goals. some pills tend to curb your appetite while others might suppress the HIV symptom of reduced appetite and allow you to eat more that you had been able to previously. Every medicine is different, and everyone's body is different so it is kind of impossible to say how you will react to Atripla, but generally speaking (from my somewhat limited knowledge of HIV meds) there shouldn't really be any reason why your meds should stop you from achieving your fitness goals.

In terms of diet and exercise, id say 5 days a week is an excellent number to be exercising. Ideally, to lose weight you need to get your heart rate up. Unless you are pretty overweight, this will probably involve more than walking, jogging will most likely get you there if you are moving for a long enough period of time. I'd suggest getting a heart rate monitor and determining what range you need to be in in order to be getting a good cardio workout. I am 5'10 and weigh 150 pounds, for me to be in a "cardio zone" my heart rate needs to be in the 150-160 range. Typically, the more weight you have to lose will determine the speed at which you will be able to lose it. 10 kgs is roughly 20 pounds. You didnt mention your starting weight or height but considering you are not already in an average or below average weight, giving yourself 4 or 5 months to lose 20 pounds if you are doing cardio 5 days a week and eating healthily seems very reasonable. Studies also suggest that its good for HIV positive people to also include some strength training into their exercise regimens, so you might want to consider adding some weights and ab work.

just a few insights from me. hope this was somewhat helpful!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:48:32 pm by texaninnyc87 »
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline Hzandi

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:10:21 pm »
Thank you very much.. this helps a lot!
Really appreciate your response...
 You're on your own.
 ~Dr. Seuss

Offline Matts

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 05:12:05 pm »
It is absolutely possible to loose weight despite meds.
I have lost more than 10 KG in 3 months. I only ate crispbread with cottage cheese, organic unrefined flax seed oil and vegetarian yeast paste and a small lunch (+vitamin supplements). Nearly no sugar and worthless white flour, refined satured fats and other crap. :)
And a bit endurance sports.

Good luck
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 05:13:54 pm by Matts »
Dovato

Offline Hzandi

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 02:20:41 pm »
Thanks Matts!!.... :-)
 You're on your own.
 ~Dr. Seuss

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 05:56:08 pm »
I've lost about 35 pounds (16kilos) in 3 months.  I did it by cutting out all fried foods, and drinking nothing but water.  I also write down and limit my daliy calorie intake to 1,500 - 2,000 calories a day.  6 days a week I go to the gym and swim.  I started off swimming 1,500 meters, and I'm now up to 3,250 meters each day.

10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:19:27 pm »
That's great windy! That's not even a drastic calorie restriction. Just goes to show what a little effort can accomplish.  ;D
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline RWR

• if You think You can’t you can’t
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 11:01:49 pm »
The chia seeds I have been trying goes in and expands which makes You feel full. They also add fiber to your intestines.

Hugs Bobby
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline positivelynerd

• Life isn't a struggle, it's a wiggle.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:15:02 pm »
I remember reading somewhere weight gain is typical when people start meds, not from any particular side effect, but because your body is functioning more 'normally.'  During my ARS, I went from 152 lbs to 136 lbs!  Yikes.  I was able to gain it back before I started meds, but after I started meds I did put on a little more weight.  I chalked it up to the depression I went through after diagnosis, but it's nice to know biology was playing a role.

I always tell people the best way to lose weight is to record what you eat.  There's quite a number of smartphone apps that link up to a website so you can input food on your phone or on your computer.  They'll ask you some generic questions about age, sex, gender, activity level, and weight loss goal and prescribe a calorie limit based on that or you can input your own usually.  From there you just record everything you eat.  I have a small kitchen scale to weigh things out.  While I admit that might be a little much for some people, but it isn't long before you get an idea of how much your favorite foods in your favorite amounts weigh.  Also, I'll cook all my meals for a few days all at once, weigh them out into individual Tupperware and have prepared, set calorie meals for the week that I can take with me to school.

In terms of activity, it's a calories consumed vs calories expended, so I agree with texan that you want your workouts to be a little more vigorous, but work into them slowly.  Instead of focusing specifically on weight loss (it'll happen naturally if you're cutting calories), set a specific and reasonable goal for your workouts, "I'm gonna jog X amount of miles in Y amount of minutes" and I agree with texan you should include some resistance training, start small and build up.  There's LOTS of resources on the internet describing exercises that you can do at home.  Also try and keep your activity varied.  Jogging is great, but can get a little boring.  Biking, yoga, hiking, swimming, hell even rock climbing.  The same smartphone apps usually have a feature to record activities as well.

Good Luck Hzandi!  Here's to a happy, healthy 30!

5/25/12 Seroconversion
9/25/12 Diagnosed
10/12/12: VL- 799k, CD4 285
10/25/12 VL- 599k, CD4 274 
Started Sustiva + Epzicom
11/8/12: VL- 1790, CD4 412, 24%,
11/20/12: VL- 1470, CD4 350, 28%
12/19/12: VL- 584, CD4 293, 24%
1/16/13: VL- 411, CD4 404, 27%
2/13/13: VL- 314, CD4 523, 20%
3/13/13: VL- 171, CD4 404, 26%
4/10/13: VL- 96, CD4 397, 27%
5/8/13: VL- UD, CD4 422, 26%
6/5/13: VL- UD, CD4 462, 31%
7/24/13: VL- UD, CD4 559, 33%

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." -A. Einstein

Offline Hzandi

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 02:50:34 pm »
Hey Guys!!!  Thanks a lot for the support!  I really appreciate it  ;)

Just an update, i have lost about 7kilos so far and its all due to me not being true to my diet.  I just cant help but indulge on the yummy food we buy for our clients at work at times. 

I'm in no hurry, I'm not in a terrible shape though I do have goal weight.   Since I started my meds I have cut down drastically on alcohol which will also make a huge difference in a long run... Winter is on its way in SA.... OMG the winter stews are my weakness.. and waking up in the mornings for my jogs is going to be a huge mission.  i wish i could move to another country just until this season is over... Not gonna happen, just have to practice self control.

I must say though, I feel so healthy, free at heart as well as there is no more fear (with regards to HIV).  I have it all under control and loving it!!   A healthy happy 30 (and many many more year!) it will be!!!

Mega Love!!
 You're on your own.
 ~Dr. Seuss

Offline skycee

• oh you are having a bad day? Did you die?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 12:48:55 am »
Hey Hzandi it's good to know you are doing awesome.

With regards to weight lose and exercise  I'm looking at it from the other end of things and was wondering if I can get any advice too.

I used to weigh just about 72kg before Infection it's bin about 6months since infection and I've lost 5kg, no exercise no diet change not on meds, maybe stress. 5kg doesn't sound much buh actually looking at my image in a mirror makes me cringe. 

I keep telling myself I should exercise and I keep fixing dates to start buh I never ever get to it and recently I started using the weight loss as an Execuse not to exercise since that may imply losing more weight.

So my question is for someone who is positive, not on meds yet and is currently having weight loss issues what would you recommend I do with regards to exercising.
Infected September's 2012
Seroconverted October 2012
Elisa test- indeterminate 20th November. 2012
Rapid test - Negative 23th November 2012
Elisa test - Positive 10th December 2012
CD4 - 546, 12th Dec 2012
CD4 600+, VL 6702 26th March 2013

Offline elf

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 06:48:48 pm »
You are right.
Jogging is what makes me fit.
I tried dozens of different diets, but my metabolism is all over the place, so the only hope was jogging (I run half-marathon, every other day).

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.