Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:24:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 204
Total: 204

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 228962 times)

Offline GregoryD

• Link to my vacation videos and stuff!
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2008, 10:39:44 am »
Hi Wendy and CaptCarl,
thanks for the welcome!
g
Recent Lab data
02/08/07 - CD4 556 - VL Undetectable
07/03/07 - CD4 526 - VL Undetectable
10/03/07 - CD4 580 - VL Undetectable
01/02/08 - CD4 576 - VL Undetectable
02/11/08 - Aneurysm Surgery
04/02/08 - CD4 541 - VL Undetectable - changed to Atripla
11/12/08 - CD4 742 - VL Undetectable

Offline mikex1

• old dog learning new tricks
« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2008, 05:39:35 pm »
Hi everybody,
 My name is Mike and I was diagnosed HIV+ HEPC+ in 94, and am relatively sure that's when I was first infected, although I could have been infected anytime after ~1980. It hurts my heart to read about how most people here, and many others I know, were infected by no fault of their own. See, although I never intended to catch this, I was a prime candidate most of my life. I have a long history (since early teens) of severe alcohol, drug addiction and some of the behaviors that can go along with supporting that life (including many years of daily male prostitution). So when I hear of someone who got this thing from a blood transfusion, non-notifying sex partner, or all the other no-personal-fault reasons, it makes me feel kind of guilty. I do take some comfort in knowing that I never was on the giving end of that non-notifying type of infectious behavior, but that itself has made for some really lonely times as far as relationships for many years. But due to excellent lubricant product research and a healthy right hand, I haven't died from lack of sex, yet. It's just the lonley thing that hurts.
 I am heterosexual, although during all the years of prostitution, I (1) many times wish I would have been gay, and (2) met many, many very dear friends, who, some of which, helped save my life in different ways (and I've also been gladly able to help as well) and are still my very best friends today (some HIV+, some not). Some have died from this illness and it hurt my soul to see them go. Most gay, some not, including my wife who was HIV+ when I met her in 96. Sheri died in 2000.  >:(
 I started meds as soon as I was diagnosed in 94 for a new drug trial clinic (don't remember which meds) but didn't stick around long in that town for other reasons. I started on Combivir, Viramune in 97 thru 2003, but didn't stick to the regimen very well, and usually only took half doses and was diagnosed resistant to those in 2007 and was switched to Atripla which caused some side effects so then switched to Epsicom, Lexiva, Norvir which is what I currently take, (most of the time).
 Current CD4 - 396, VL - 320, and I don't even know what that % figure is I've seen posted here. (I could use some help with that please).  :)
 My health nowadays isn't great, but the bad stuff is mostly a result of my lifestyle for so many years rather than my HIV. The only HIV side-effect I've realy had is consistant night sweats from the begining in 94. I do what I need to daily including working for a company that is very productive in this time of bad economy at a job I really love, and am very experienced and good at, as an industrial maintenance mechanic, electrician (working 7 days a week for the last 3 months, mainly voluntarily } It pays well and I have a nice place to live with the Florida weather and swimming pool and a dog that I really think understands what I say when I'm talking to myself lol.
 Life could probably be better, but judging by the man I met a few weeks ago who had both arms blown off by a electrical accident working for the power company, I'll stick with my HIV for now.
 I hope I didn't bring up bad feelings or memories with this stuff. I usually wasn't a bad person to others in those years I had to have my drugs. I found many ways of self sacrifice that got me enough drugs so that I didn't need to steal and cheat many people. I wound up getting shot 3 times and much more as a result of being too soft, ignorant  and nieve with buying drugs off the street. I was a bad excuse for an 'efficient' drug addict, but I fit the addict part to the tee.
 I like all the post I've read here so far and hope you all will accept me into your community. My hugs go out to you all in our boat!
Mike  ;)
Oh, and yes the drugs are history for my life for a few years now so if your mower comes up missing it wasn't me lol.  ;D
Diagnosed 94
CD4 = 396 as of 11-08
Meds = Epzicom 600/300, Lexiva 700mg, Norvir 100mg.

Offline kajnjewel

• Living Life with a Passion!
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2008, 07:49:09 pm »
Hi Mike:

Welcome to a great forum.  I do believe you will find a great home here.  Thanks for sharing your story.

Darlene

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced; live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world will cry and you will rejoice!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2008, 08:18:17 pm »
Mike,

Welcome to the forums.  I'm sorry to hear about your wife.  My 1st husband died on 02/12/89 (three days before I found out about being HIV+), while I was in treatment for drugs/booze. 

You have a great story.  Please feel at home here, and keep chatting with us.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2008, 12:14:08 am »
from one mike to another, welcome  ;D

wow! I think everyone has such an interesting story. Thanks for sharing yours. Glad to hear you've worked through some issues in your life too. I have my own troubles with staying compliant to my meds so you're in good company here.  ;D

Wow, so many new folks here!
this thread has been busier lately hasn't it? every time I see it pop up I think back to when I first found this site.  ;D

Happy Holidays to all y'all new-comers!  :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline GregoryD

« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2008, 07:54:39 am »
hi mike,
welcome to the forum  :)
g
Recent Lab data

Offline lusopt

« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2008, 09:16:35 pm »
I was tested positive one month ago, and of course im scared to death... but its incredible to see all the hard fight you guys had till now, you passed a lot, and all of you strugled and survived.

Just want to say that, in this late dark days i`ve been having, all of you are a source of courage for me.

Im so, so sorry for all the pain you guys have been trough.

Thank you all, for existing.
15/11/06: HIV-
28/10/08: HIV +
- No Meds -
18/11/08: CD4 -650 (.......)  / -17.500 VL
01/03/09: CD4- 540 (19,6%) / - 2090 VL
17/07/09: CD4 -603 (20,1%) / - 5040 VL
27/10/09: CD4 -627 (21,5%) / - 10.896 VL
25/03/10: CD4 -609 (23,9%) / -11.602 VL
12/09/10: CD4 -555 (........) / - 55.500 VL
21/04/11: CD4 -466 (17%)   / - 50.339 VL
01/10/11: CD4 -375 (19%)   / - 73.058 VL

Started, Epzicom and Sustiva
01/02/12: CD4 -298 (23%)   / - undetectable

Offline hades01

« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2008, 09:55:19 pm »
oh my god! what a story?
and here i am bitching about taking 1 pill a day (atripla) and no side effects yet...your story just remind me how much i have to thank god and life  :)
Sorry to re post, I'm new and did not notice this introduction thread, Thanks

Hello Everybody!  I'm Jeffrey from Glendale Ca, I have been living with the virus for 16 1/2 years.

While I was a child I was raped from the age of 11-15.  I lost interest in school, having a severe speech impediment did not help, I always knew the answers in class but did not raise my hand because I could not even get my words out, when I did,  I would be laughed at, called fagot, queer, blah yada  blah.  As a result of the abuse I became promiscuous at a young age. I was in the gay bars in Phoenix at age 18.

I had an original diagnosis of AIDS in 1991 with cryptosporidiosis.  I had 6 t cells and the Doctors told me to get my affairs in order.  I remember taking AZT, that's  all there was.  Somehow I managed to stay alive while many of my friends died. 
The early 90's were very hard. I was sick all the time, my friend crypto returned in 1993 and almost killed me.
I took every new drug that came out and managed to get through.  I felt horrible all the time, vomiting from the medications. I was exhausted and had a very low t cell count, I could not stay awake for longer than 4 hours, then would sleep for 10- 11 hours.  I was losing weight and kept getting fevers, night sweats, diarreah like volcanic lava erupted from me all the time. I had to go into the hospital a lot.  Getting IV's of fluid, from dehydrating and needing potasium, I kept passing out.

In 1996 My Mom was diagnosed with cancer.  I was taking Epsom and Videx, the old wafer things!  Chewing them was like  this horrible chalky taste. I also took another blue pill it was rectangular and did not go down easily. I think my t cells were around 90 or so while I was helping to care of my Mom. She had colon cancer, then it returned to her lung. In 1997 the protease inhibitor crixivan was released and the combination saved my life. It was very bittersweet because I lost my Mom Betty in August 1997.

I had severe bouts of depression and anxiety for the rest of the 90's it was very bad, zerit was added  and I experienced the pain of needles  and broken glass going into the bottoms of my feet and the palms of my hands.  I think my t cells were almost 200.   My mental  health was shattered, but I was starting to get a little better, not sleeping as much, eating more.  A year after my Mom died I met a man with HIV.  He was very kind hearted and we started to date. I was up and around and things were going good.  I met my future partners parents, and he met my Dad. I felt secure and happy, although in retrospect I think I settled because I didn't think anybody else would have me. A year after we were seeing each other, my partners Mom went to the airport and jumped off the 6Th level of the parking structure. She did not survive, so now we were  having to deal with suicide. 

This is the most gut wrenching thing I have ever been through.  I felt rage, anger, sorrow, guilt, a roller coaster of emotions.  My partner was devastated, speechless, and I could even attend the memorial, I was disgusted that a person would just give up after my Mom fought so hard to live.  I still have a question mark over my head over the catastrophe.

In 2000, To escape Phoenix, my partner and I moved to Glendale CA.  Right next door to his snottier than hell, ex boyfriend who was doing his best to be the gay Martha Stewart!  I started to feel like I should break up, but holy crap his MOM KILLED HERSELF!  So I stayed with him.  in 2001 I became sick with I can't remember what, colitis or something.  I was depressed doing these obligatory events with people I did not really like.  I made nice thought and was a good Hubby.

We had planned to go to Six Flags on 9/11, my partner rushed in and woke me up, he said a plane just crashed into the World Trade Center. Like every other American, we sat, crying, shaking for what seemed like a week glued to the TV.  After this, I think built a brick wall around myself.  I stopped talking to people, except a very select few.

In 2003 I developed immune idiopathic thrombocenic purpura.  I was turning black and blue everywhere.  I knew I had a low platelet count, but did not know about ITP, http://www.pdsa.org/index.htm  The Hematologists/Oncologist and other Doctors were confused at first to why I had this while it is a very rare blood disorder with about 200,000 Americans living with it. Steroids were prescribed for the first part of the protocol and I ballooned from 170# to 240#.  The steroids failed, so a splenectomy was performed.  Thanks goodness it was done laproscopicly, only 4 tiny cuts on my tummy, instead of being cut from side to side. The surgery was a success.  I was told there is no guarantee on how long it would
work.

In early 2005 I stated taking down photos in our home.  I stripped the walls, took down the spice rack, the one that sat there looking the same, everything looked the same. The limbo type life I  was living.  I was surviving, but just a shell the person I used to be. I knew I had to get out of a bad relationship.  the only thing holding us together was pain.  I moved into my own place in February.  With a lot of work my previous significant other and I have remained friends.  We share joint custody of our little dog, oh thank the gods for that one without her I do not think I would have made it.

I sat alone for most of 2005- 2006.  Depression, a break up of an 8 year LTR, left me just wallowing.  I went very very deep inside myself to pull out of it.  With the help of anti depressants and therapy I have walked through the pain,the guilt of my mind set of thinking why am I still here and so many talented loving people did not live.  I came out the other side just at the beginning of this year.  I'm out of my cocoon and have started living life. 
At 43 I feel so very comfortable in my skin and know that I am truly blessed. I am grateful to my doctors, friends,& POZ magazine.

I have just started to date this Spring. I have started drawing. Now I say what I feel when I'm feeling it. My entire life I felt like an outsider.  Looking in at people living life. Now I'm living life, every day every minute. If anybody would have told me in 1991, that in 2007 I would be alive, mostly healthy (fatigue and PN get me sometimes), with a 500 CD4 count and an UN detectable viral load (wait we didn't have Geno's and phenos then) I would have thought they were crazy.

I look forward to getting to know others on this board.  Thanks for reading this and if your having a bad day, just hang in there and remember that it will get better. One book changed my life, The Power Of Intention by Wayne Dyer.  This book saved my life and the little miracles that happen all around me are proof that "When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change". WD

My best to everybody here and I hope to be a great fellow forum member. A special thanks to MOONLIGHT1114, I am so grateful to have met you on the other site. Thank you making me laugh!
JeffreyM
Eduardo Cabrera
"Life will never give me what i want, only what is best for me"
08-08-2008 HIV+ (What a day)
08-14-2008 VL 105K   CD4 199 (Pretified and hopeless)
11-14-2008 Started Atripla  and no side effects at all yet
Lab Results 12-31-2008 VL 220 CD4 189
Lab Results 03-31-2009 VL undetectable CD4 308
Lab Results 06-30-2009 VL Undetectable & CD4 274
Lab Results 09-30-2009 VL Undetectable & CD4 410
Lab Results 10-06-2010 VL Undetectable & CD4 514 %34

Offline knoxvillecwby

• Hiv Advocate group for East Tennessee
« Reply #208 on: December 06, 2008, 12:35:10 pm »
Howdy,

Cowboy Larry here. I live in Knoxville Tn and I have been Hiv Positive since Feb.1989. I currently have a undetectable viral load and 350 t-cells.
I met my partner about 8 months ago and he is Positive also. He has been Positive for 5 years.
I'm a former Professional Bullrider and I am very involved in the Hiv Community here in Tennessee.
Make friends with Hiv and learn to laugh at it.

Cowboy Larry

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: December 06, 2008, 08:10:54 pm »
Hey Knoxville,

Welcome to the forums.  I don't believe I've ever met a professional bullrider.  That sounds nerve-wracking.  Anyway, I hope you stop by again.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2008, 09:16:08 pm »
Hey Knoxville,

I don't believe I've ever met a professional bullrider.  That sounds nerve-wracking. 
Betty

Sounds a little bone busting too !  ;)   Welcome to the forums, and welcome to everyone else that I may have missed here in this thread.

Ray 8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline GregoryD

« Reply #211 on: December 08, 2008, 08:36:58 am »
Welcome Knoxville!
g
Recent Lab data

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2008, 07:11:04 pm »
I wanted to share with everyone that tonight marks 15 years since my diagnosis, on 12/22/93.  I have so much to be thankful for!  My original post in this thread is #93.

Merry Christmas!  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #213 on: December 24, 2008, 12:50:24 pm »
Merry Christmas,  Moonlight.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #214 on: December 24, 2008, 01:09:36 pm »
I hadn't been on in a while and have missed so many new faces here.  It took me awhile to play catch-up and read through this thread.  I just wanted to say a warm welcome to all.  Hopefully, you will find these forums as helpful & friendly as I have.

Happy Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa or anything else you feel like celebrating!
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline kajnjewel

• Living Life with a Passion!
« Reply #215 on: December 24, 2008, 10:39:14 pm »
Welcome to a great forum Knoxville.  Been to a lot of rodeos and enjoyed watching the bull riders for sure.  Like you, I have been positive since '89.  Glad to see another long timer.  Welcome aboard.  This is a great forum.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced; live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world will cry and you will rejoice!

Offline PRMike

« Reply #216 on: December 26, 2008, 07:04:13 pm »
Hi well some of you already know my story and know who I am but I'll Intruoduce myself and give a little back ground if that's ok...
Well My name is Miguel but I'm known as Mike and here as PRMike,, I was a Heroine and cocaine addict back in 1980 to 1981 more or less about a year and a half until I just got tired and got myself some help and got clean and then left New York and went to Puerto Rico to get back together with my Wife and Daughter and I became a work aloholic and I did pretty good for myself even tough I did have a little trouble with the drink for a little bit but I did stop that too when I woke up from a Black out that lasted 15 hours which really scared the crap out of me,,, but my ex was so jealous and made it really hard on my job that I was losing a lot of customers and when your a Handyman thats not good and even more when you count on word of mouth so we has our break up again and she flew out to California and I was going to go into the Army, Well Now is when I find out that My BIG MISTAKE was when I PICKED up THIS GUY'S NEEDLE Back when I was using the one and only time that I had done that,,, you see I was a Tester for the pusher man and always had clean needles except this one time that this guy threw his needle down because the coke was too strong for him and he pulled it out of his arm with half of it left and of course his blood and ME like a Dope ADDICT I pick up the Needle and shoot the rest into my arm with his blood and all,, well that's how I got infected because I never shared needles, I did not have sex while I was using, I'm not gay, and I never had a blood transfusion, so it could only be that ONE and ONLY time that I PICKED UP that Mother Fucxxxg Needle... but I must say that I have been very lucky that I have only been sick once and that was because I started to use again back in California and in 2002 I was so tried of using that I tried to kill my self with an overdose of pills and a gram of Crystal Meth and all it did was put me in a coma for 14 days which when I came out I was really pissed off but imagine my T-cell were 6 viral load 400,000+ I had PCP pneumonia so I was dying I asl was wanted by My PO and by the Grace of GOD and a friend/Caseworker which showed me some tough Love I was able to get into a Rehab and save my life,,, I have been clean and sober for the last  6+ years my T- Cells are inbetween 521 and the high 400's and I have been Undectable for the last 6 years so as long as I stay away from Drugs I'll be alright,, Oh and of course take my MEDS,,,this is my story and I'm a long term survivor I have seen a lot of good people come and go and I live in Florida where the services are not really that good for people with HIV/Aids like in California but back in California I would have to deal with all the damm Drugs and Gangs...  Thanks you for listening
PRMike

Offline tedzbear

« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2008, 05:02:16 am »
Hi.  I'm Ted and I tested HIV+ in March 1987 and got my AIDS diagnosis in November 1995.  I didn't get an undetectable viral load until 2004 when I started on TMC114(Prezista), Fuzeon, and Truvada.  My HIV is cross resistant to all the Protease Inhibitors and everything else that doesn't cause peripheral neuropathy (which I have in my feet).  So you can imagine how happy I was to get into the TMC114 phase 2 trial in 2004.  Before that while on Kaletra/Viread/Epivir my viral load was 730,000 and I only had 22 CD4.  After a month on the new Prezista cocktail my viral load dropped to < 50 and it's stayed there ever since.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
cocktail: Prezista with Norvir boost/Truvada
PN: gabapentin/nortriptyline/ibuprofen
psych: Paxil
fatigue: testosterone shot every 2 weeks

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2008, 08:19:14 am »
Welcome Mike & Ted.

You will find a great group of people here.

Ted are you still on the Fuzeon?  I was on it for a while ... it worked great but I hated the injections.  Now I'm on Truvada/Prezista/Norvir/Isentress  ... and various other meds.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline PRMike

« Reply #219 on: December 27, 2008, 11:29:51 am »
Welcome Mike & Ted.

You will find a great group of people here.

Ted are you still on the Fuzeon?  I was on it for a while ... it worked great but I hated the injections.  Now I'm on Truvada/Prezista/Norvir/Isentress  ... and various other meds.

AA
Hi Andy, thank you and yes I know I already have had the pleasure of getting to know some of you here even if it is only though Cyberspace,  I have made a few comments on a few issues and also received help when I was quitting smoking and I used Chantix which I have to say I'm going on 16 months yea...  anyway thanks again always PRMike
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2008, 02:26:59 pm »
Hey Ted,

Welcome to the forums.  I'm glad you found us.  This is a great place for information, support etc. and I hope to hear more from you.

PRMike, it's good to hear from you.  Congrats on the continuous non-smoking.  I still smoke now and then, but not like I used to.

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #221 on: December 27, 2008, 04:06:04 pm »
Hey Gang

A hearty, if belated welcome to the new forums folks. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you   :D

Cheers, Paul

Offline PRMike

« Reply #222 on: December 27, 2008, 05:21:14 pm »
Hey Ted,

Welcome to the forums.  I'm glad you found us.  This is a great place for information, support etc. and I hope to hear more from you.

PRMike, it's good to hear from you.  Congrats on the continuous non-smoking.  I still smoke now and then, but not like I used to.
Hi BT65,  thank you and yeah I remember you from your picture  LOL  I just cant remember the word for it right now, I hate when this happens I know it starts with an A anyway thank you again for the surport as always your friend PRMike
PRMike

Offline Salteen

« Reply #223 on: December 29, 2008, 12:52:11 am »
Hello,

I haven't been on here in a while but its good to be back!  I am 24 and I have been HIV positive my whole life due to a blood transfusion, although the whole story wasn't discovered until I was 9 or 10. I am currently married to a wonderful man who is HIV negative. We have a wonderful life together we two furry children :-)  I love my puppies. I am currently employed and am working on a master's degree in counseling.

Sarah

Offline pointer165

• I like this tribal avatar
« Reply #224 on: December 29, 2008, 08:48:27 pm »
Hi everyone...my name is Tony & live in New York City ,right on Christopher street...home of Stonewall!

well..I've lost count of the years I've been POZ...so I guess, it's over TWO DECADES now!...I never went for a test in the late 80s..I was a pharmacist and living in Miami, so at the University of Miami they gave anonymous testing of T-cell counts....so that's what I did first...and it came back below 200, so I just said that's IT!! and went on!.....and has remained about the same number +/- 50 T-cells for ALL that time whether on drugs or off(interesting HUH???..but I always took care of my body)...  ...so I watched/waited till ALL my friends passed on from AIDS...and decided to move back to NYC to get some LIFE back into me.....I really enjoy my gym...I don't do it JUST to look decent but it's FUN!!..I do the pool...I don't even know how to SWIM!!!! and refuse to put my face in the water..so take aquaareobics class or run 1/2 mile and do my own workout..been doing that for FIVE YEARS now!!..and the past two years been taking dance classes...called NIA..and it's a combo of dance, karate etc..I sweat like a pig in there....that's a good class also...otherwise the only thing lacking in my life is a part time relationship....I would like someone, as would almost anyone on this earth to have sex with, talk, walk etc....and not be a full time thing..that gets very boring for me...not that I would fool around...it's been THREE fucking years since I had sex!!...and my hand is getting tired...so HELP!!!

I'm into guyz in their 40s and preferably tops/versatile and on the "piggy" side :-)..PIGGY CAN MEAN HOT NOT UNSAFE!

anyway that's all for now...my email ::: pointer165@gmail.com
....This site has got me through some pretty rough times in my life and I owe much gratitude to it and the people!

Cheers and Happy 2009,
Tony(nyc)

Guamanian

Offline LTSurviver

• LTS since 1987. LTNP until 2008.
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2009, 07:31:44 pm »
Hi folks.

Long term survivor here with 22 years under my belt.  I've lived my entire adult life with this.

I was diagnosed in 1987 in the Army.  What an experience that was.  The ignorance was still high back then and at Ft Benning I was treated like a biohazard.  Not allowed to leave my hospital room and nurses came in full biohazard gear.  Really did a number on me. 

I've never seen a t-cell count over 200 or under 160 since and have never started drugs until recently.  I've lived my life as a “normal” person, even married for ten years and another LTR for eight years. Pretty much single now (ladies?).  Weight lifter (natural), bar bouncer, and all-around “healthy” guy.

Five years ago I started having annual bouts with shingles.  Chalked it up to over training in the gym.  Two years ago I started catching every cold, flu and stomach virus one could get each season.  I would spend the entire winter sick. I chalked that up to bouncing in bars and having to manhandle drunks. Five months ago I started a FUO (Fever of Unknown Origin) and it lingered for 2 months until one day it shot up to 105 and I dehydrated in a day.  After a week in the ICU and being told my T-Cells had dropped to 120 I decided it may be time.  Since I left the hospital I have had a severe bout with bronchitis and a sinus/mastoid infection.  And to top it all off, I think I caught a nasty case of moccasin foot (a type of athletes foot) in the hospital shower.  The skin is peeling off the bottom of my feet, but Lamisil Cream seems to be helping.  I spent a total of eight weeks on various antibiotics from the time I was admitted to just a couple weeks ago.

I'll admit I have spent the last twelve years or so totally ignoring my status and the HIV/AIDS scene and community.  I didn't even know anything about the current drugs when all this hit recently.  Years ago I used to chat in AOL Positive Living chat rooms right around the time truly effective therapies were coming out.  But then I just decided to ignore it all and live.

But now I've been pulled back in and here I am.

I'm taking Viramune / Truvada.  Started in November.  I'm going through a mild morbilliform maculopapular rash becoming confluent and forming small plaques on my arms.  Probably a slight allergy to one of the drugs and it seems to be fading now.  I also have some slight edema in my ankles and feet along with neuropathy in my feet.  Amazingly, Acetyl L-Carnitine has eased the neuropathy a bit in just a matter of days.  It's not gone, but it no longer feels like someone took a sledge hammer to my heels unless I'm just getting out of bed.  I still feel like my toes are thawing out from frost bite, though, but not as painful as that.  The edema is just bad enough that it feels like walking on water balloons.  I'll be talking to the doctors about that this week.

Why everything would come crashing down now after 22 years is a mystery to me.

I’m eager to start feeling better so I can get back in the gym.  It’s been rather depressing to see years of work melt away so quickly over the last few months.

Anyhow, just wanted to say ‘Hi’ and introduce myself. :)  I've lurked for a while and the info on the side effects forum has been very helpful.  Thank you!

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2009, 07:57:58 pm »
Humm don't know how I missed this Thread, but, anyway here's my story......... My name is Dennis, and I'm 52 yrs. old currently living in Albuquerque, NM, been here since Oct 2001, form Sacramento, Ca. When my T-CELLS went way down to 90, and my VL  was  as high as 998,655 copies, in AUG 1997, I HAD 3 OI's (PCP, Hairy leukoplakia  and Candidiasitus) 

I WAS VERY SICK, with a  FULL BLOWN AIDS DIAGNOSIS, then I WENT ON DISABILITY in  FEB 1998, I've been a LTS since 1987 when I tested HIV+, I didn't start mono-therapy MEDS until 1991, And YES I Survived HIV Mono-therapy and was on AZT back then...I'm a former Public Safety Officer/ County Sheriffs Deputy in the State of Calif. 1988- 1997, until I got sick and had to give up my career back in 1997 :-[

I lost 3 Life Partners and many many Friends and loved ones to AIDS back in the 80's and 90's.................I'm in a (discordant 16 yr. Relationship) w/ a wonderful guy name Bob, he 52 as well he's also on SSDI, and is from Upstate NY, Ogdensburg , he's HIV- he use to be a BSRN for a number of yrs. until a 350+ Male patient fell on  him and crushed his L1 /L5 vertebrae , he walks w/ a cane and takes more Meds that I do, in FEB 2002 he suffered a massive Heart attack and had triple-bypass open heart surgery, it took him about 3 yrs. but he's as good as new and doing very well, like me he currently has a lotta health problems.........

I'm Bald (keep it shaved) and Stand 6 Ft 3 & 190 lbs Have a Dark Brown Goatee w/ a little Gray in it Exercise 4 to 6 times a week on a (Bowflex and 12 Speed Bike) to keep Fit and Stay Healthy! I've been POZ for 20 yrs. I have a little lipo in my face and on my belly, most of the time I look like a pregnant man....LOL  ;D but I have AIDS, so, not much I can really do about the way I look also, I have PN & Diarrhea problems and a whole host of other health problem associated with HIV/AIDS  :-[

I try to take VERY GOOD CARE of myself get Plenty of Rest, don't Drink Smoke or Drug & go to the Doctor every 4 to 5 months, so far I've been VERY lucky (keeping this disease at bay) and with the help of my H.A.R.R.T Medications, I plan on keeping it that way, and do hope you feel the same way

Here's what I'm currently taken right now, and what my current Labs look like:

T-CELLS 399 - 403 12%   VL UNDETECTABLE AS OF NOV 2008

MEDS:

APTIVUS, NORVIR, TRUVADA
ISENTRESS, ACCUPRIL,OMEGA-3 Fatty Acids
TRICOR, LOPERMIDE
 So, Hello to all of you, who have seen me around, but may not know much about me  ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:04:40 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2009, 08:02:56 pm »
I just wanted to wish a warm welcome to Sarah, Tony (NYC), LTSurviver and of course Dennis  :) 

This site offers a lot of helpful information and has really nice people here.

AA

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2009, 08:37:34 pm »
I just wanted to wish a warm welcome to Sarah, Tony (NYC), LTSurviver and of course Dennis  :) 

This site offers a lot of helpful information and has really nice people here.

AA

Well, a Big Hello to you to Andy, and WELCOME  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Bradford

• Positively Positive
    • Positively Positive - Living with HIV/AIDS
« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2009, 04:08:22 pm »
Hi, I'm Bradford and I was infected with HIV in 1984 and diagnosed HIV Positive in 1985.
March 12, 2009, I will be 57.

Seems almost impossible that I have lived so long, when in 1985, I was given only six months to live.

A decade later, I came out publicly on national television (Canada) on the Dini Petty Show, Dec. 1st. 1994, World AIDS Day.

Since then, I have been an advocate for active health and an HIV/AIDS activist creating awareness around the many HIV and AIDS issues.  In 2004, I launched a web site: Positively Positive - Living with HIV/AIDS www.PositivelyPositive.ca , and operate the website on my own, from a computer in my bedroom.   

Health:

I was fortunate to maintain health and be able to go without HIV/AIDS medications for over a dozen years.

In 1997, I developed PCP. I didn't tolerate the medication to treat the PCP and the only alternative was to go on HIV/AIDS medications. And I got better! So now, over a dozen years with med's.

My cd4 count was 425 in 1985.
cd4 count was 40 in 1997 and viral load of several million viral copies.
Today, cd4 count is 940 and I have been undectable since 1997.

Today, my health concerns are not HIV/AIDS related but dealing with the med's, and ageing!

Since 1994, whenever possible, I volunteer my time and energy to participate in HIV and AIDS causes.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:12:48 pm by Bradford »
Bradford McIntyre, HIV+ since 1984

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2009, 10:47:31 am »
Hey Bradford,

Welcome to the forums.  And may I say, you sure are handsome!  What's your secret for your youthful appearance (though I'm female, I take all suggestions).

I think a lot of us are dealing with aging and med issues, more than OI's etc.  Hopefully there will be more research done on aging amongst the HIV population in the future. 

Hope you join us more often!
  Luv,
Betty

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #231 on: January 18, 2009, 08:01:02 pm »
Hello Bradford,

Welcome to the forums ( Althought I am sure I remember you on the older forums)

I'm Ray, 57 years of age. From the Tampa Bay area. I was also diagnosed positive in 1985. Was infected in July of 1985. Started meds in October or 03.( along with an Aids diagnosis at 16 t-cells ).

I completely understand what you mean about dealing with the meds and aging ! Slight Neuropathy here, and of course all the minor hip and joint and muscle aches. Just hanging tin there the best one can.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline rusty.g7

« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2009, 04:37:40 pm »
Hello All   I love this website and especially these forums.  The information here is exactly what I want to know and the people here sure seem to know a lot and seem very caring and supportive.

I've been poz about 20 years now, my VL has been NonDetect for 10 months (finally found the right combo)  CD4 bounces from 150-200, with my CD4% at 22% and generally trending upward.

My current meds are Prezista, Isentress, Truvada, and Norvir with Bactrim.  This is the easiest combo I've ever been on both from adherence and side effects.

I'm also taking Nexium, and Nadolol for a liver portal hypertension problem that causes esophageal varices.  I had some burst last March (I had no idea how pretty red blood looks in toilet water ;)) Now I get EGDs every six months.

I work full time at the post office which provides me with my insurance and spending money and in general feel good with just a touch of PN and lipo.  I'm gay and have a non-poz hubby.  We've been together for 8 years now.  I was in the US Navy on submarines for 6 years back in the eighties before don't ask, don't tell.  We mostly are homebodies, but get out to see touring companies of broadway shows and to visit Longwood gardens.

I'm 47, 5'11", weigh about 170, and live in Delaware about an hour from Philadelphia and Baltimore.  I quilt some, garden some, cook some, and read lots.
I should eat better, I should exercise, and I should know more about my drugs and diseases.
These forums and lessons have already encouraged me to work on all those.  (I just hope I can keep it up as I tend to not stick to things  :()

Rusty
jan 09    CD4 154   VL <50    Truvada, Prezista, Isentress, Norvir, Bactrim
may 99   CD4 290   VL 2340   D4T, EPI, Crix
may 89   CD4 440                   AZT

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2009, 06:57:24 pm »
Hello Rusty,

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for sharing your story !!

Take care of yourself----Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2009, 10:43:38 pm »
Hey Rusty,

Welcome.  I hope to hear more from you!

Betty

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #235 on: January 23, 2009, 05:32:45 am »
Hi Bradford & Rusty,

I just wanted to welcome you both to the forums.  I hope we'll hear more from you both.

Rusty -- I have esophageal dilations every couple of months (used to be very week) because of a esophagitis & a stricture so I can sort of understand what you are going through.

AA

Offline Bradford

• Positively Positive
    • Positively Positive - Living with HIV/AIDS
« Reply #236 on: January 25, 2009, 01:07:07 pm »
HI All, 

Hi Rusty

I have a non poz hubby too.  We just celebrated 9 years together. We met in 2000 and we were married in 2001 at St. John's United Church, Vancouver, Canada; years before it was made legal here in Canada for same sex partners to marry!

HUGS to all!
Bradford McIntyre, HIV+ since 1984

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #237 on: January 26, 2009, 04:13:43 pm »
Howdy Bradford and Rusty! Welcome aboard.

I also tested postiive in 1985, started meds in 96 and have the humps, bumps and lumps to prove it.  ;)

I am right there with you with the HIV and aging thing, Bradford. I have trouble discerning what causes what at different times.

Hey Rusty, do you have Hep C as well? Just wondering becasue that is where I have seen people have trouble with the esophogeal varices.

I love to garden and travel.

Again, welcome to you both.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline rusty.g7

« Reply #238 on: January 26, 2009, 06:02:22 pm »
Thank you all for your great welcome.  It feels like home here already.

Mark - nope, I don't have Hep C.  My varices are caused by liver portal hypertension which in turn is caused by Nodular Regenerative Hyperplasia which when googled yields:

Diffuse nodular regenerative hyperplasia (NRH) of the liver is an acquired architectural disturbance that can lead to portal hypertension. Although frequently associated with autoimmune or hematologic malignancies, its exact pathogenesis remains largely unknown.

My docs discovered this after my liver numbers went nuts soon after beginning pravachol, and an allergic reaction to ziagen, though they tell me neither caused it.

Don't want to get too off track here so...

Thanks again for the warm welcome,
Rusty
jan 09    CD4 154   VL <50    Truvada, Prezista, Isentress, Norvir, Bactrim
may 99   CD4 290   VL 2340   D4T, EPI, Crix
may 89   CD4 440                   AZT

Offline amaphot

« Reply #239 on: February 04, 2009, 11:51:42 pm »
Hi all.  I'm Derry and I live in Indiana, USA.  I found out I was HIV+ in 1988, shortly after the death of my partner from AIDS (PCP was the official cause of death).  I have been on various medications since 1989, beginning with AZT which was all that was readily available 20 years ago.  I've had limited experience with other medications in the intervening years.  For the most part, I've been relatively healthy over the years with my CD4 count remaining above 200 and my viral load below 50,000 until 2003.  I elected to not take most medications until it was evident that my CD4 count would settle below 200 and stay that way after 2006.  During this period and presently, I am a patient within the Veterans Administration health care system.  I was classified as eligible for disability in 2003 and receive Social Security Disability since that time. 

I've been following this thread and a few others for the past couple of months.  I became interested in looking to these forums as a way to become a little more integrated into the online HIV/AIDS community.  Several years ago I was involved in organized support groups and found them to be helpful.  However, over time I lost contact as people that I had become friends with eventually passed away.  Although I make a point of keeping abreast of treatment and social issues surrounding this disease, I've slowly lost any peer-to-peer support.  I have a great support team of medical providers with the VA in Indianapolis and I've had 5-6 years to develop a good ongoing relationship with my ID doctor. 

I've decided to introduce myself in this forum with the goal of becoming more involved with others and working on becoming a little more in touch with myself and my treatment and social issues.  Perhaps I can also be of benefit to others as well.  I like a lot of what I read here and find this to be a step in the right direction.

I hope all of you are doing well and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #240 on: February 05, 2009, 12:51:16 am »
Hi Rusty and Derry

Welcome to the Forums !

We're a great  bunch of folks here in our global community. Make your self at home.

I'll look forward to hearing more from you both.

Paul

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: February 05, 2009, 08:35:11 am »
Hey Derry,

Welcome. I also live in Indiana (South Bend).  I look forward to getting to know you.

Betty

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
« Reply #242 on: February 05, 2009, 09:02:56 am »
 This truly is a nice way to meet everyone on the site. Great Idea whoever came up with this.
  Hello Everyone and I appreciate any and all information shared on this site.
  God bless everyone of you. Jerry :)
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #243 on: February 05, 2009, 10:02:15 am »
Welcome Derry and Jerry!

Glad to see you both here and I look forward to hearing more from you,

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #244 on: February 05, 2009, 11:39:43 pm »
Hello Derry & Jerry,

I hope we hear a lot more from the two of you in the future. 

And to Derry I also live in Indiana (Hammond) although my GI doctor is at IUPUI in Indianapolis.

AA

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2009, 08:34:03 am »
Since I haven't been here since 3 years, I thought it 'd be nice to re-introduced myself.

My name is Coen, I'm a 44 year old gay leatherman from The Hague, Netherlands. Aids diagnosis in 1993 because of KS. On HAART since 1996, undetectable since. A lot of minor health problems over the years, which do not keep me from living life to the fullest.

What happened in the last years since I was here:

I got married! In march 2007 we got married after a 21 years relationship, long enough to make the big step.
I became the chair of the local department of the Dutch HIV foundation. I have been doing that for two years now.
I still haven't finished my conservatoire study as a singer. Hopefully I will do it this summer, but having some health problems now, it might become 2010 as well....
I became specialised in helping transgenders with their voice development, and even appeared on national TV with that work.

So, now you have a bit an idea who I am....
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2009, 10:55:26 am »
Good to see you again Coen.

http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=8790991     forward to timeframe 23:00  to see Bobik

;-)
grasshopper

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2009, 04:16:32 pm »
Welcome back Coen,

First a big congradulations on your marriage!  I hope you'll stick around now that you've popped back in.  Sounds like you are doing some really interesting and fulfilling work.

AA

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2009, 05:13:11 pm »
Hi Coen

It's wonderful to see you back here again ! It hard to believe it's been three years. I'm glad you're doing well and congratulations on your marriage  :D

I'd love to see you around here more often. Drop us a note from time to time !

Cheers, Paul

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2009, 02:39:42 pm »
Not a LTS, (found out with an insurance test in 2005, just went on first meds, Atripla a week ago), but just have to let each and everyone of you know, that reading this thread has brought a flood of emotions. 
Thank you all for your courage, your fight, your spirit, and your love of one another,  and can't forget your unbiased support for each and everyone who reads or posts to aidsmeds.   I have been a member of aidsmeds since finding out I was positive, and signing on the same day in 2005.

Every one of you, and all of us actually who are sharing life with HIV, continually find this site and each of you, everything we need, (along with our HIV Dr's)  in this world where there is still alot of stigma, bias, and lack of knowledge of HIV.

Wish all of your posts in this thread could be published in a book for the whole world to see what a wonderful, caring, compasionate, and real person each and everyone of you are, as well as those who you love, and those who love you!!!

Thank you, with every beat of my heart.
Hugs,  Bruce
"To all within the sound of my voice, I appeal: Learn with me the lessons of history and of grace, so my children will not be afraid to say the word “AIDS” when I am gone. Then, their children and yours may not need to whisper it at all."  Mary Fisher

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.