Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:51:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 329
Total: 329

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Prezista, Norvir, Truvada....HELP!!  (Read 6824 times)

Offline 2ndtymearound

Prezista, Norvir, Truvada....HELP!!
« on: May 06, 2009, 04:15:12 pm »
Hello all this is the first time I am posing.  I have been Poz since 2007 and have not been on any meds.  My T cell count has dropped so my doc believes its time to start meds.  He is starting me on Prezista, Norvir and Truvada on my first round and I am wondering if anyone has been on this combo and can give me any insight. 
Also i have a bad adherence to medication, not because i don't want to take them but because I forget.  I work a crazy schedule and go back and forth between days and nights.  Anyone have any suggestions to overcome that also.  I really am hesitant to start because I don't want to mess up.  Thanks for your help.

Offline nbalt2

Re: Prezista, Norvir, Truvada....HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 05:24:04 pm »

Well, I sympathize.  I just started on the same COMBO.

But I question why you started w this one.  I began w Atripla...it's 3 pills in one and you take it at night before going to bed...and remembering one pill helps.  But I guess your schedule makes this hard/impossible!

.In terms of remembering rather than relying on your memory...I have a crazy Attention deficient lifestyle, I use those pill containers, line up in little compartments (feel like my grandma but) a week at a time...so you can see if you have taken your pills...and if you do it at the same time each day, it's easier (and correct) to remember...for me at breakfast cause I eat breakfast and our regime requires food. It ought to be what ever meal or eating time you are most regular with.

I am new to our combo, but I think it's important to see what kinda food works best to make the prezista/norvir go down well.  For me it seems to real food.... you def want to figure this out since diarrhea can accompany the norvir/prezista combo.  Good luck w it.  I hope it works well for us both. It seems to be going ok for me so far, but it has only been a week.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:53:21 pm »
Hello, welcome

The forgetting thing is important.

Depends what you mean by forgetting tho, if you mean TIME OF DAY then this is a good combo to choose. You can take it once a day in one go, with some small amount of food if need be rather than a meal, like a Snickers bar or milk drink, or even milk. The timing is quite forgiving and +4 hours shouldn't matter.

Setting an alarm (or two) on your phone/watch helps, as does being a squirrel and stashing a dose or two in various places.

If you mean FORGETTING THE DOSE FULL STOP, I would talk to your doc about this. It's a bad way to use combo (I guess you know this). Would be better to try and work a plan to remember before starting.

I do have to say the pharmokinetics (how the the drug is processed by your body) of Reyataz are better than Prezista, and therefore more forgiving timewise in general, but the difference isn't that great. This might be something to also talk to your doc about.

The first month is most important in terms of strict timing.

Hope this helps, and good luck

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 02:13:22 am »
I take a Prezista, Norvir, Truvada (plus Isentress) and take it 2x a day ... but I've been poz for 15yrs and have been through a few different meds.

The amount of norvir is relatively small so you might not have a problem with diarrhea if you are lucky ... I don't!  :)

The point I wanted to make if you are on a single time dosing and you switch between working nights & days I would try to find a time when you are always awake no matter what your schedule is that day.  Maybe taking your pills at 5pm would work better for you than in the morning or at bedtime like a lot of people.  Since, adherence is so important really think this out before you start.  Like newt said cellphone alarms are a great reminder!

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline 2ndtymearound

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 10:25:48 am »
Thanks everyone for ur imput.

I really try hard to take my medication on time everytime but sometimes it slips my mind.  Thats somethin i gotta work on I know it esp before i start this medication.  Not sure why my doc put me on this regimine but I do know he wanted to initially put me on the one pill a day but because of my hectic schedule he said it wouldnt be good to use that one because of the side effects but would consider moving me to it if i could adhere to this regimen and get a more steady schedule.  I know the consequences of not taking my meds and its really important to me and i am going to push hard to make it work......I have no choice at this point i have to. Just wondering if anyone was on this combo and if so what the side effects were

again thanks peeps for ur imput.

Offline ChefDD

• White Whisker Cook (aka. ChefDD)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:41:06 am »
PNT is part of my combo along with Intellence  and Isentress. What works for me and has for a while is laying out the pills in a weekly pill box. Sunday night is pill distribution. I sit down put on some music and distribute the little "thangs" into the pill organizer. During the week, I just pull out the box for the day and I am on my way.  Sometimes , I will say to myself, " Did I take the noon meds?" The only thing I have to do is look at the organizer for a visual reminder. I have been on antivirals since 1988 when Hivers took azt every four hours. Eat a good meal with the Norvir and Prezista until you see how your body is going to adjust.  Good luck,  ;D ChefDD
ChefDD ( White Whisker )

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.