Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:27:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 221
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Moving On  (Read 9074 times)

Offline Tim Horn

Moving On
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:51:51 am »
There’s never an easy way to say this, so I’ll just come out with it: The time has come for me to part ways with Smart + Strong. This Friday, October 26, will be my last day as the president and editor-in-chief of AIDSmeds.

The good news is that I’ll be moving on to a position I’m very excited about. Beginning November 1, I will be joining the Treatment Action Group (TAG) as its HIV project director. There I’ll be working on a variety of projects, including the coordination of its advocacy for antiretroviral drug development and health complications research. I’ll also be contributing to the organization’s amazing pathogenesis/cure, viral hepatitis and tuberculosis advocacy and education projects, in addition to advocacy efforts surrounding the implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

I’m happy to answer whatever questions I can about my departure. And I’m sure Ian Anderson, Smart + Strong’s president, will be along later today to discuss what this means in the broader context.

I’ve been assured that the Forums will continue running smoothly. Ian will be the new Forums director. So not only will he be helping moderate the Forums—he’ll be focusing primarily on maintenance, such as account approvals, thread merges and technical assistance—he’ll also be the person you’ll hear from if changes are planned.

In my absence, POZ editor-in-chief Oriol Gutierrez, managing editor Jennifer Morton and new editor-at-large Ben Ryan will ensure that HIV treatment/science news is published regularly and that the “lessons” content is updated as needed.

Ann and Andy will be carrying on as global moderators in the Forums. In addition to Ian, they’ll be joined by Smart + Strong staffer Dennis Daniel, who will also be helping with daily maintenance.

It’s been an amazing run and the past 13 years have afforded me the opportunity to accomplish numerous treatment education and health literacy goals in collaboration with some truly amazing people, including many folks in these Forums.  And while I haven’t been a regular presence in the Forums  over the past few years, I take pride in having done everything possible to keep the Forums running smoothly and in accordance with their mission: to provide a space for people living with HIV to get the support they need.

I’ll be honest – being the “heavy” in these Forums hasn’t come easy, considering that I very much consider these forums my peer group. Thus, I’ve sometimes struggled with the fact that they are a part of a larger business strategy. But I also know that Ian and others at Smart + Strong see these forums for what they really are. I’m also glad to know that they are committed to keeping the Forums fully functional and that communication regarding their future direction will remain a two-way street.     

While I’ll no longer be a moderator or administrator of the Forums after the 26th, my account will remain active, so you can always reach me via the forums’ PM function. And once I’m settled into my new position at TAG, I’d enjoy becoming an actual member of these Forums – it’s a good thing, then, that I’ve remained on Ann’s good side all these years.

Hard to believe that after more than a decade and hundreds of thousands of words written, edited and revised, AIDSmeds will no longer be my virtual home.  But I have confidence that everyone at Smart + Strong will do right by the site and its various components going forward.

Tim Horn
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 08:54:54 am by Tim Horn »

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Re: Moving On
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:06:43 am »
I love you, Tim Horn! While this is a sad day for AIDSmeds.com, I'm thrilled that you're joining the TAG Team, my alma mater. It's a perfect pairing, and will let you spread your advocacy wings.

Long live these forums!!

Cheers,

Peter

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:08:08 am »
Best of luck in your new position, Tim, and thanks for the work you did here for years. TAG is lucky to have you on board!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:11:50 am »
Thanks for all that you have done here,  and best of luck in you new position.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:16:35 am »
I'm wishing you the best of luck and would like you to know that the forum and what you did here had a positive impact on my life , thank you for that . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
  • President, Smart + Strong
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 09:30:19 am »
I huge THANK YOU to Tim for his tremendous leadership over the years. Also a big congratulations on the exciting new position you are undertaking. TAG is lucky to have you.

As Tim said, we plan to continue the Forums with Ann and Andy as the primary moderators. I look forward to getting to know everyone in the days ahead.

Best,
Ian Anderson (iana5252)
POZ.com | HepMag.com | CancerHealth.com | RealHealthMag.com | TuSaludMag.com | SaneMag.com

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:18:27 am »
I'm shocked and saddened, but happy for you and the new opportunities that await you at TAG. I've always felt secure here with you at the helm, and I thank you for your hard work here and for the many times you "went to bat" for us over the years.

Best of luck to you Tim and please keep in touch with us.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:27:37 am »

Congratulations on your new opportunities with TAG.  I wish you well...
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 11:07:01 am »
Thanks for all you've done Tim.  It was great meeting you in DC and hopefully you can join us for the next AMG.  Best of luck with your new ventures.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 11:35:39 am »
Tim, working with you has always been a joy.

You can move but you cannot get away. No, you can't.

Lots of love and all the best as you enrich the great work that TAG does.

xoxo

Andy
Andy Velez

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 11:41:18 am »
I'm sure it's been said before but

TAG -- you're it!

TAG is lucky, we've been lucky, and you're still gonna have an account at Club AIDSMeds.

You'll bring so much to that role, Tim -- the entirety of our community will benefit.

Thank you and best wishes.
Em

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 11:41:36 am »
Tim

I adore, admire, and respect you for so many reasons.  I always have and I always will.

Beyond that all I can say is this place will never be the same without you and good luck on your new opportunity.

RAB

Offline Cliff

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 12:30:45 pm »
Onwards and upwards Tim.

Offline Jody

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 12:57:12 pm »
Dearest Tim, you will be missed so much around here, your care and genuine concern about getting things right was always so obvious.  You always showed great passion for what you do and I know that TAG will be getting the very best person for their organization and congratulations on that.  I do hope to see you around these forums and maybe some of us in the New York area can get together to take you to dinner to celebrate your new role. 

Good luck Tim and never say goodbye, only so long.

Jody :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 01:29:29 pm »
Tim:

I am so very happy for you. TAG is a great organization and they have just gained an amazing person who will be an invaluable asset to their team.

They have some great people over there and that number just grew by one....

We have been very fortunate to have had you here to guide us for this long....

I am sure that the Forums will remain strong and a place of immeasurable support for those here and those to come because of the foundation that you helped to build for them.

As Howard Schultz of Starbucks says... "Onward"

I look forward to staying in touch and to seeing the great work you will be doing at TAG.

The very best to you,
Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 01:40:43 pm »
Good luck in the future tim!
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline britchick

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 02:27:19 pm »
Good luck with your new job.Thankyou for all the hard work that you and others do.I would still be in a really dark place if I hadn't found this site.It has helped me so much.

Please let us know how your new job goes.

Britchickx

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 03:23:48 pm »
tim.

you and peter came along at a very important time in my life.  Thanks so much for that.

robert

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 03:37:20 pm »
All the best in your new position.  I will miss the articles you write.  I've always admired your knowledge and intellect.  You're able to decipher studies and break them down, so the average person could understand the meaning and findings.  That helps so much for those of us who have difficulty reading studies.

Good luck!

Offline buginme2

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 03:45:09 pm »
All the best in your new position.  I will miss the articles you write.  I've always admired your knowledge and intellect.  You're able to decipher studies and break them down, so the average person could understand the meaning and findings.  That helps so much for those of us who have difficulty reading studies.

Agreed!  Thanks for your work here.  Good luck
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 05:20:33 pm »
Tim, I sincerely appreciate everything you've done with and for these forums.  They've been a great space of support.  Best of luck at TAG, they're very fortunate!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 06:30:38 pm »
Hello Tim,

It was too bad that I couldn't have made it a day sooner to Washington DC, during the AMG this year. It would have been a great pleasure to have met you.

When I joined Aidsmeds in 2003, I was in bad shape, and the forums certainly helped me pull through, and placed me back into survival mode !

Almost 9 years ago, you had given me some advice/ and answered questions that I had, While going through difficult and trying times, And I appreciated every bit of it. I always looked forward to you postings. ( and still do)

And like Ted, I also enjoy reading, and look forward to the articles you have written.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors, and thank you for all you've done, for the forums and for activism.

Your time and dedication, and  has never gone unnoticed. Thankyou !

All the Best---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 06:51:01 pm »
Dearest Tim

I wish you every sucess in your new adventure, I know they have a good man on their team, one of the best in fact.

Take care, you deserve the best life has to offer.

Hugs always
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 10:29:36 pm »
Congratubulations Tim!

All the best to you.

Take care.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 11:18:38 pm »
Tim,

I can only echo what everyone here has said already.  Much success to you in your new endeavor and thanks for giving us a place to come together in camaraderie.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 12:41:11 am »
Thanks for all your hard work on this site and behind the scenes. I wish you great success in your new job.

Ford

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 12:42:48 am »
Thank you for your hard work and efforts on this site, Tim. Wish you all the best for your future endeavours.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 12:48:53 am »
i has a sad.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 07:42:58 am »
Best of luck Tim.  Thanks for all your hard work for these forums over the years. 

Mike

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 10:54:07 am »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 12:39:00 pm »
Thanks very much, everyone.

Wishing everyone the best and continued health.

Tim

Offline joemutt

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 12:05:30 am »
Thank you and Good Luck!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 10:30:00 am »
I am late to the game, as usual.

Tim, congratulations on your new position. I know you will be an asset to them and to the entire HIV community, as you have been here.

I will miss your being here and have always enjoyed your inciteful reporting of HIV news, etc.

Blessed Be, young man.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 12:55:58 pm »
you're not the only late one Mark. I just saw this myself. ::)

Congratulations and best wishes Tim! What a great opportunity! I'm sure you'll love it and do great  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 05:32:28 pm »
Tim, good luck in your new endeavors, it's been real guy, take care.

Rodney

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 12:52:14 pm »
I am REALLY REALLY late!   Best of luck to you Tim...

Thank you for all you have done for us at AIDSmeds.   You will be missed...

HUGS, Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline weasel

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 02:30:02 pm »

Best of the best to you Tim !

Carl 
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.