Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:16:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 523
Total: 524

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 2nd person cured of hiv?  (Read 10422 times)

Offline loneranger

2nd person cured of hiv?
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:12:24 pm »
Hey guys

Came across this article online this evening claiming that a 2nd person has now been cured of hiv. The piece is not very well written and I'm unclear as to the exact details of this supposed 'cure' but it looks like he underwent the same procedure as Timothy Brown. Anyone else heard about this? Link below

http://scienceray.com/biology/cure-for-aids-discovered-in-germany/

Offline Sweet_C

Re: 2nd person cured of hiv?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:22:07 pm »
I hadn't heard of it, but I doubt this second guy was "cured".  The only reason the first guy got the treatment was because he had leukemia.  This guy probably just got on meds and is now undetectable. 
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline loneranger

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:25:37 pm »
Probably, but it's interesting that they quote the Timothy Brown case and mention a stem cell therapy. Would like to know who their source is!

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 07:27:20 pm »
Doesn't look like a very reliable, peer-reviewed type of website. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:29:16 pm »
I have three issues with this
Two patients in as many months have been cured of the HIV virus, better known as the AIDS virus.
1) just what does "in as many months" mean? The Berlin patient's treatment happened years ago. It is misleading and incorrect to say that multiple patients have been cured of HIV within months of each other.

You may remember Richthofen was the center of controversy when it was revealed that the standout point guard  had played nearly an entire season with the virus unbeknownced to opponents and team mates alike
2) just who is "Stephen Richthofen"? a google search only turns up this name linked to "scienceray"

3) Actually a better description is to say that Timothy Brown's HIV was eradicated not "cured".  Calling chemo, radiation, leukemia, several stem cell transplants and all the resulting health issues (neurological side effects which left him forgetful, temporarily blind, unable to walk and to talk normally and with a change in personality [link]) a "cure" totally glosses over the extreme risk of death in all those procedures and the extreme luck T. Brown had in surviving. Also calling these procedures a "cure" is also very misleading to the general public at a time when health care funding and the ADAP funding of several state are in dire straits while HIV infections continue.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 12:47:49 pm »
3) Actually a better description is to say that Timothy Brown's HIV was eradicated not "cured".  Calling chemo, radiation, leukemia, several stem cell transplants and all the resulting health issues (neurological side effects which left him forgetful, temporarily blind, unable to walk and to talk normally and with a change in personality [link]) a "cure" totally glosses over the extreme risk of death in all those procedures and the extreme luck T. Brown had in surviving. Also calling these procedures a "cure" is also very misleading to the general public at a time when health care funding and the ADAP funding of several state are in dire straits while HIV infections continue.

Wow, the press really left out a lot of key details about Timonthy Brown's cure!  It's too bad that there's been so much focus on this cure rather than on the amazing successes of the treatment out there these days.  The only  bad thing about the drug is making sure you can afford them here in the U.S.  I can't even watch the news anymore because it seems that both Republicans and Democrats are banding together to cut funding to the people who need it most.  It's so frightening. 
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline next2u

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 01:39:53 pm »
yeah, the article doesn't seem to hold any water. there are many questions about the validity of the article (sources, supporting documents, etc...) and if this were true in any way shape or form it would have made the news in a major way. plus there is no press anywhere about this.

the website seems more like a rogue blog for quasi science than anything else. don't get your hopes up based on this.

best,
d
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:10:50 pm by next2u »
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 02:41:44 pm »
Wow, the press really left out a lot of key details about Timonthy Brown's cure!  It's too bad that there's been so much focus on this cure rather than on the amazing successes of the treatment out there these days.  The only  bad thing about the drug is making sure you can afford them here in the U.S.  I can't even watch the news anymore because it seems that both Republicans and Democrats are banding together to cut funding to the people who need it most.
it's that same bad press that makes Truvada out to sound like the best prophylaxis out there when it's really only about 44% effective at best.

sorry for going a bit off topic with this one; but these reports about a "cure" and "preventative med" really get my goat. The science isn't reported properly and the perception that is put out there is wrong; and those wrong perceptions influence whether officials believe HIV issues need to be funded. (why fund ADAP when there's a "cure" and a med that can be taken to prevent HIV infection? ::) )
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 04:48:05 pm »
it's that same bad press that makes Truvada out to sound like the best prophylaxis out there when it's really only about 44% effective at best.

Might you perhaps be misremembering the results of the Truvada prophylaxis study?  It was 44% effective on average, including in the average people who didn't take it consistently.  The results for people who took it daily were 73% effectiveness.  Presumably the "at best " number would be north of 73%.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_prep_iprex_2042_19471.shtml

The scienceray article is interesting, but it doesn't seem to be verified elsewhere.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 06:59:43 pm »
It was 44% effective on average, including in the average people who didn't take it consistently.  The results for people who took it daily were 73% effectiveness.  Presumably the "at best " number would be north of 73%.
we have a difference of opinion in my usage of "at best". I should have qualified it as "at best for the average person" so as to not confuse the issue with the much smaller "at best" upper range of the reported effectiveness.

I do remember the inital annoucement of the study and also it's further conclusions from the ongoing study. Starting with a basis of 2500 mainly "gay" sex-workers in Peru and Ecuador, actually the 73% effectiveness only happened with a small portion of the study group and those people also received counseling and monitoring, received prevention and education training, and were given condoms also. Most conclusions reported from the study, which eventually went on to include patients from Thailand, South Africa and the US (appr 400 MSM from Boston I believe), report the findings as a 44% reduction, not the high end 73%.

Even the CDC conclusions are of 44% not 73%. "Enrollment in the PrEP arm was associated with a 44% reduction in HIV acquisition" - 1/28/2011 CDC report from MMWR "Interim Guidance: Preexposure Prophylaxis for the Prevention of HIV Infection in Men Who Have Sex with Men" http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6003a1.htm?s_cid=mm6003a1_w

So instead of looking at those few in the study who seemed to receive the most effectiveness from the medication (which is not verifiable because of the influences of the extra counseling, education, monitoring and condoms), if we look at the average person in the study, "at best" those average people only received a 44% increased protection. At $35 a day for the Truvada, that's a lot of potential side effects and a lot of money (will insurance even pay for such a usage of Truvada?) compared to the incredible cheap and easy (and only used when needed) effectiveness of condoms.

Currently AIDS Healthcare Foundation is running a campaign against FDA approval of Truvada for PrEP
http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110309006431/en/Gilead-Sciences/Truvada/'pre-exposure-prophylaxis'
http://www.aidshealth.org/advocacy-policy/current-issues/prep-sign-on.html
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 07:25:18 pm »
Hey guys

Came across this article online this evening claiming that a 2nd person has now been cured of hiv. The piece is not very well written and I'm unclear as to the exact details of this supposed 'cure' but it looks like he underwent the same procedure as Timothy Brown. Anyone else heard about this? Link below

http://scienceray.com/biology/cure-for-aids-discovered-in-germany/

NON SENSE, we all know that to date there is NO cure for AIDS  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 07:45:58 pm »
Wouldnt that be the final injustice:  AIDS cured and the world shrugs its shoulders.

Reducing the experience of the Berlin Patient to the word "cured" is a misnomer.

I think members of this forum should chose their words wisely, and evaluate their information sources.  He was cured, but put through the wringer, and the method is not "the cure".
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 09:15:55 am »
... actually the 73% effectiveness only happened with a small portion of the study group and those people also received counseling and monitoring, received prevention and education training, and were given condoms also.

So instead of looking at those few in the study who seemed to receive the most effectiveness from the medication (which is not verifiable because of the influences of the extra counseling, education, monitoring and condoms), if we look at the average person in the study, "at best" those average people only received a 44% increased protection....

The study report (which you linked to) does not support the inference that participants with better results got them because they received "extra" counseling.  Describing the provision for all participants enrolled in the study: "Participants were seen every 4 weeks for an interview, HIV testing, risk-reduction and PrEP medication adherence counseling, pill count, and dispensing of pills and condoms."

we have a difference of opinion in my usage of "at best". I should have qualified it as "at best for the average person" so as to not confuse the issue with the much smaller "at best" upper range of the reported effectiveness.

...um... yes...  and still do.  When a study reports on different groups and someone says "at best" it is generally anticipated that they are talking about...well... the reported result for the best group.

There is a second alternative when a study reports results as a sample and gives a range around the results to indicate that the results are expected to be in that range....a confidence interval for its results. If one were to read the part of the study that says "Enrollment in the PrEP arm was associated with a 44% reduction in HIV acquisition (95% confidence interval [CI] = 15%--63%)" then it would also be plausible to read a statement that for the average person who was enrolled in the study the results showed , at best, a 63% reduction in risk.

As to what drove results of the study it is clearly whether participants were getting enough of the drug into them.

"Reduction in risk for HIV acquisition was 21% among participants at visits with <90% adherence (CI = -31%--52%) and 73% at visits with ≥90% adherence (CI = 41%--88%). Among those randomly assigned to the TDF/FTC arm, drug level testing was performed for all HIV seroconverters and a matched subset of participants who remained uninfected; a 92% reduction in risk for HIV acquisition (CI = 40%--99%) was found in participants with detectable levels of TDF/FTC versus those with no drug detected"

AHF and others have suggested that given the fact so few succeeded in taking the right amount of drug, caution is a good idea.  That is different, however, from a license to misrepresent the numbers or the counseling provided to enrolled participants.

I fear we have moved into hijack territory, so if you care to extend this discussion perhaps we should set up a new thread focused on PreP...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:18:11 am by Assurbanipal »
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.