Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 10, 2024, 04:58:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37630
  • Latest: Haziq
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773105
  • Total Topics: 66327
  • Online Today: 380
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 147
Total: 149

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question on Progression of HIV  (Read 5245 times)

Offline BrotherDavid

Question on Progression of HIV
« on: April 04, 2010, 06:35:51 pm »
Hello,

I am new to you're community. I have been HIV positive since 2009 and recently started Atripla. I have searched the forums and do not seem to be able to find an answer to my question. Maybe there is no concrete answer but I was just curious.

My virile load has dropped to an undetectable level on the medication. My CD4 count is 400 on average. I have not had any OIs except thrush when I was diagnosed.

I have been reading many threads and I see where people are still getting OIs or other HIV symptoms even though they show as undetectable and have a high CD4 count. I notice this especially with some of the long term people who have basically suppressed the virus.

I hope my question does not make me look totally foolish, but I am curious if the virus being undetectable is still able to cause HIV related issues, or is there a chance due to starting the meds while at a higher CD4 that I may stay symptom free?

Again, thanks in advance for any information on this. David.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Question on Progression of HIV
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:31:23 pm »
Hi David,

Sorry your question has gone unanswered for so long. It doesn't make you look totally foolish, but it is a little difficult to understand what, exactly, you're asking about.

It's kinda one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions. It's true that some people can be undetectable with good CD4s and yet still have hiv-related problems. And it's also true that some people who start with higher CD4s will remain asymptomatic, but being hiv asymptomatic is not the same thing as not suffering side-effects from the meds.

Does that help?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:58:48 pm »
There are no guarantees in life with anything but for the most part, if you take your meds and you are undetectable and can maintain decent/good CD4 counts, there's every reason to believe that you will be fine.

Yes, there are some OIs that can happen even with excellent numbers (such as KS) but this is rare, most people with good numbers are doing very well.

Stay away from things that are obviously damaging such as recreational drugs or excessive alcohol (light alcohol consumption is fine, unless you have major liver issues) and try and live a healthy lifestyle overall, these things make a difference in one's health, with or without HIV.

Have you been tested to make sure you don't have any other infections such as Hepatitis or Syphilis, etc?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:36:06 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:30:40 pm »
My virile load has dropped to an undetectable level on the medication. My CD4 count is 400 on average. I have not had any OIs except thrush when I was diagnosed.
There is a good article on inflammation on this months home page.  
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_aging_inflammation_2042_18256.shtml

There is all kinds of information coming out about what long term HIV infection with successful HAART may or may not imply for health and longevity. Not to worry you, by the way, but 400 isn't exactly a "high" CD4 count, as you seem to have implied.  "or is there a chance due to starting the meds while at a higher CD4 that I may stay symptom free?"
 Its above the level for most OIs however.  How long have you been on HAART? How low did your CD4 count go before you started?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:38:41 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline kev72

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:32:38 am »
I think the poster was basically asking if the ARVs will reduce the progression of the HIV overall.

I had been kind of wondering the same thing because of my low CD4 and age, but have not wanted to research it to death since I am feeling okay right now and do not want to read any bad news.

Reading the information in the links that mecch provided was extremely informative. While it can be interpreted as both good or bad news for us who have been diagnosed late, it is also a good wakup call. Since there are many factors invloved, I guess no one knows what the future will bring.

Offline BrotherDavid

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 02:32:28 pm »
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for the valuable information. Yes Ann, I know my post was hard to word, but I think you were able to figure out what I was getting at.

You other guys were a big help, Inchingblue, Mecch, You're experience and the information you attached is a great start. It is what I was basically looking for. My CD4 has always hovered between 400-500.

Kev72, yes the information can look a bit depressing for people with a long progression but there is a lot of positive in the articles and hope.

Thank you all for trying to understand my question. This site is a great and so upbeat it provides a comfort to us newbies.

David

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.