Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:17:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 198
Total: 199

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: World AIDS Day 2011  (Read 8555 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
World AIDS Day 2011
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:20:09 pm »
Today is a sad day for me;  a day I choose to remember all those loved ones I have lost to this disease.

I try to be happy and thankful that I am still around to celebrate, and remember.   I just don't feel too 'victorious' for some reason...

A lady asked me today why I had on this red ribbon pin -- I said "today is World AIDS Day".  She said "Oh, well there's nothing on TV or in the news about it".   That says it all, doesn't it?

Anyway, to all my dear fellow Long Term Survivors, Happy World AIDS Day.   I am thankful for all of you.

Love, Alan  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: World AIDS Day 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 12:30:40 pm »
Today is a sad day for me
another member and I were just talking about this too, Alan. While I'm here rushing around trying to make sure I have everything together for a big event my ASO is sponsoring tonight (dress reheresal at 4p, program at 8p), all I can really think about is my two late partners and all those friends who are gone.

Sure I'm glad to be alive; but the hole in my life that all that people used to fill is a huge canyon that can never be filled. Most days go by with little thoughts about these missing people and the life we had together. But today when so many are talking about AIDS, testing, money for ADAP etc, all I can really think about are those people that AIDS stole away from me.

as they do at the Renaissance Festival I was at a few weekends ago,
to my fellow LTSers, I say "Huzzah! and Happy World AIDS Day!" :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:44:34 pm »
Thanks Alan  :-* I've been cryin my eyes out all morning, I cannot help for feeling guilty for still being alive, looking @ a death Certificate from AUG 95 really put me over the top, but ya know, I'm gonna be ok , and I'm happy I'm still here, someone or somebody has a plain for me, and I'm grateful for that  :'( forgive me I'm not doing very well  today  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:48:05 pm »
I made the mistake of pulling out my old albums and reading obits.  Just doesn't seem like a happy day at the moment.  Special hugs to my fellow LTS. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 02:07:13 pm »
y'all are braver than me. :-* I've only looked at a couple of old pictures. I sure couldn't be looking at whole albums or obits. Not on a day like today when so many are talking about AIDS and remembering the past. My hazy memories are enough to get me down and make me feel sad. (right now the depession/sadness/grief stuff is making me feel like I was hit by a Mack truck)

Quite frankly, I save that serious stuff to look at during May. I figure in that month since I'm already crying about the anniversaries of their deaths, I might as well look at all that stuff and really work myself into a good crying jag. Of course, we all deal with giref differently; but doing it that way for me helps me deal with the grief a lot better throughout the rest of the year (like those 'happy holidays" ::) that are fast approaching).

big hugs from me to you, guys  :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 02:43:38 pm »
It is always a sad day.In 1988 , no not this time its a sad day always a sad day.
love to you all
michael
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:03:31 pm »
 :'(

It is a sad day....   It is a day to remember those infected with, those affected by, and those that have been taken from us, due to Aids.

In Sadness and remembrance, of so many friends and acquaintances lost ( but not forgotten)throughout  the years

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:10:09 pm »
I heard a few news pieces on the radio (President Obama) and on TV.

I join everyone else in remembering many loved ones who have passed.

@Leatherman: That analogy about a void as deep and wide as a canyon fits my feelings somethings when I think of family and friends who did not make it.

Best to everyone.

"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:05 pm »
There is too much pain and sorrow with all the loses, that happiness on this day will never surface.  Nor should it.  There is always time to lament our losses, no matter how painful, because if nothing else, it reminds us that it still feels great to be alive.  And sometimes, I feel that being alive is all I do have left.

Joe

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:07:50 am »
I took part in two World AIDS Day Commemorations, one yesterday in Gallup, the other tonight in Farmington.

The majority of those at the ceremony in Gallup were Navajo or Zuni. The time frames may differ, and the individual accounts vary, but the feelings were universal.

As they were tonight.

I began feeling a bit morose yesterday, remembering people I had known who were gone.

I agree, this can never be a happy day for me. But, it is a day to remember and to remind myself that I still live and I should relish and be thankful for each day.

I try to remember that, but it gets hard at times.

My best to all my LTS brothers and sisters, for whom I, too, am very grateful.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 12:13:16 am »
This is a day I embarrass myself. I snap at friends. I tell well meaning people to leave me alone. I drink too much. And I listen to music from the 80s. Maybe it's cathartic. But it happens like clockwork. Sometimes the weight of the past, of these giants, treasured ghosts, is more than I can stand. And I wonder if they are haunting my universe or I am haunting theirs.

That's why we need an LTS forum. I doubt anyone else can grasp that fully.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 08:29:33 am »
It was a tough day for most of us.  I chose to stay isolated all day and didn't leave the house.  It was the first time in a while I stayed logged in all day just to have close access to you all.  I contemplated uncorking a bottle of wine, but why throw gasoline on an open fire?

There isn't a day that I don't think of all my loved ones who are gone, but there are those certain times when it's much more difficult than others.  Yesterday being one of them.  A day and half of wearing the same Jammies probably dictates that I should shower and dress.  I don't have to work today so maybe I'll uncork that bottle for lunch? 

Wolfie

Offline Theyer

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 12:40:17 pm »
How,s everyone doing ?

Now there,s a brief Gap before dealing with Christmas , Wolfie are you dressed in grown- up clothes ? Well my dear   LTS bleeding WAD does at least remind me how much this forum supports me so a great big thank you to you all.
Now its " The Killing " series 2 I am in lust with her new partner,

luv&stuff
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline wolfter

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 07:31:56 am »
How,s everyone doing ?

Now there,s a brief Gap before dealing with Christmas , Wolfie are you dressed in grown- up clothes ? Well my dear   LTS bleeding WAD does at least remind me how much this forum supports me so a great big thank you to you all.
Now its " The Killing " series 2 I am in lust with her new partner,

luv&stuff
mhtv

Are Southpark Jammies grown-up?  I've had them for years and they're my favs.  Finally have that totally comfortable feel to them, holes and all.  Plus, they hold a special meaning to me.

The support here has meant so much to me over the last couple of years.  I know I have a support structure, but they don't understand.  I want/need others who truly comprehend the dynamics of this virus.

Wolfie

Offline Theyer

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 03:44:09 pm »
Are Southpark Jammies grown-up?  I've had them for years and they're my favs.  Finally have that totally comfortable feel to them, holes and all.  Plus, they hold a special meaning to me.

The support here has meant so much to me over the last couple of years.  I know I have a support structure, but they don't understand.  I want/need others who truly comprehend the dynamics of this virus.

Wolfie
[/quote

Somewhere my dear Wolfie, somewhere
luv
mhtv

Offline Growler

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 04:21:45 pm »
I want/need others who truly comprehend the dynamics of this virus.

Wolfie

Every WAD make it mandatory for everyone who's negative to eat and drink only laxatives and Ipecac syrup for the day and wear "I Love Justin Bieber" t-shirts. That should give them a general idea.

GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 05:46:06 pm »
Growler, if you read the opening thread for this section you'd see it is only for those who qualify as Longtime Survivors, that is those who tested positive before HAART in 1996.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.