Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773291
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 697
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 684
Total: 686

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: This just might be the worse subject post you've ever read...  (Read 6029 times)

Offline randym431

This just might be the worse subject post you've ever read...
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:20:57 pm »
Just seen this online at a local news site.
It made me totally sick.
(viewer descresion advised)

http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-chicken-hatchery-090109,0,7016989.story

PS..
Also on the news page is todays local special election under 'Republicans Hoping Election Triggers Tide Change". The creepy guy running (a republican - naturally) with the weird as hell beard is a huge anti-guy homophobe funded by... guess who... the National Organization for Marriage. The organization against same sex marriage. The same organization that X-Miss California was to become spokeswoman for. They have funded this guys campaign ads. He promisses he will stop/kill same sex marriage that the states supreme court granted in favor, in iowa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWEJAEf09_E&feature=related
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 01:38:54 pm by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline skeebo1969

Re: This just might be the worse subject post you've ever read...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 01:27:57 pm »

Well I guess I'll just have to miss this one, my computer only has Flash 8 media player and it's a laptop with an administrator lock on it....... :)
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline randym431

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 01:39:39 pm »
I think you're lucky on this one...

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:59:04 pm »
Thanks randym431 for posting.

The first video has to be the most vile and cruel mass killing of poor defenseless animals I have ever seen.  :o
There is NO respect for precious life and we wonder why this world is so wrong. Look no further.  >:(
God have mercy on these poor creatures.  :'(

Gandhi once said:
"The moral progress of a nation and its greatness should be judged by the way it treats its animals."

This is truly sad. :'( :'( :'(

The second video shows another travesty. If the extreme right wing religious fundamentalists wants to vote a hillbilly into the House, then let them spend their cash. It only further exposes a gross mismanagement of funds where better use for needy citizens are not even considered. The extreme votes will be lost regardless. ::)
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:31:50 pm »
ROFL, you city folks, that wasn't a grinder that was a shell separator and the circular carriage was a de-beaker. ROFL.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 05:03:11 pm »
I'm curious: why would live chicks be put in a shell separator?  And why are there chopped up half-living chicks in video later on?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 05:09:46 pm »
I'm curious: why would live chicks be put in a shell separator?  And why are there chopped up half-living chicks in video later on?
It lessons the stress on the chicks and cuts down the mortality rate.

Offline Merlin

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 05:39:11 pm »
It lessons the stress on the chicks and cuts down the mortality rate.

Huh????? ??? :o...are we watching the same footage? And how does it lessen the stress when they are being dropped into the gruesome grinder and hand flung tossed into the selector during manual selection?

I re-watched the video again and again and again and read the footage & accompanying video article. Those poor unwanted chicks are being grounded up in the first part of the footage. The shelling is in the later part of the video. Even the hatchery "admitted" to the investigation.

Geez....it's really disturbing.

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline David_CA

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 06:11:42 pm »
You know, that grinding them up alive thing does bother me, but not as much as the ones that are mentioned that fall on the floor and die.  If the chicks have something wrong with them, I really don't know how else they should be 'disposed of'.  Certainly something quick with no lingering is most humane.  I'm sure the chicks will experience less abuse, pain, and fear than those which grow into adulthood. 

Soon, the Conservatives will be using that video to campaign against a health plan and its 'death panels'.

AS to the second video... I would expect no less from those who oppose marriage equality.  Maybe we should call it this to take 'same sex' out of the phrase.  After all, isn't the thought of two guys having sex what they oppose.  I always said I thought we should go for benefits and some sort of same-sex unions / partnerships first; let them keep the damned word 'marriage'.  After all, marriage is a failed institution:
50% percent of first marriages, 67% of second and 74% of third marriages end in divorce, according to Jennifer Baker of the Forest Institute of Professional Psychology in Springfield, Missouri.”
www.divorcerate.org/ (another source on this page lists it at 41%).
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 06:12:05 pm »
ROFL. You city folks, no where did you see a grinder nor did you hear anyone say anything about grinding and the line that you seen them toss the chicks is the sexing line.. You city folks best stay in the city.  :D What they didn't show was where those chick with the shells still attached people stand at that table and remove the rest of of shells by hand and put them in a flat.

Offline randym431

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 07:27:50 am »
I'll admit, even though I posted this I did not/could not watch the actual video.
Just the article and the still photo told me the story.
This is a hard one, in that what is involved processing animals for food. Cows, pigs and others.
We don’t think of that while chomping down that McDonald's or the corn dog at the state fair.

Living in a farm state, packing plants and all, can be disturbing at times.
Once when driving home, at a stop light, next to me was a cattle semi with live hogs
sticking their little noses out the slot openings looking at me.
The processing packing plant was just ahead to the left down a long dark road.
I just wanted to jump out, open the back of the semi, and say “run… run for your lives”.

I guess baby chicks cross the line. Kinda like grinding up unwanted live human babies at those Obama death panels.  ;D  (sorry bout that)

I guess in “my” perfect world if I were God, there would be respect for all life.
Human would not trump animal. I even feel bad when I spray for bugs, later seeing them
twisted and jerking as they give it up. Yeah I know… don’t say it.

Now.. anyone up for steak and eggs at Denny's ?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 07:31:52 am by randym431 »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 07:43:57 am »

Now.. anyone up for steak and eggs at Denny's ?

How bout Chicken Mcnuggets ?    ;) 

I watched the video. I seen the debeaking taking place, but I had no idea where the screwworm was feeding these baby chicks into. To me, it look like some small cast iron device, with small openings.  But they never showed what came out , after the screw drive.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 07:54:26 am »
I read in the paper today that this video was secretly shot by a member of a group who's goal (at least one of their goals) is to get people to STOP EATING EGGS.  So, one has to wonder about the slant -- and if we are truly seeing what it appears we are seeing.

At the end of the day if we don't like how animals are treated as they are prepared to be our food, then we should stop eating them.  I, however, will continue my love affair with meat.

Of course, my comments should not be misconstrued to say that it is OK to be unnecessarily cruel to animals, but killing and eating are parts of the cycle of life.

Mike

Offline Basquo

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 09:35:38 am »
ROFL. You city folks, no where did you see a grinder nor did you hear anyone say anything about grinding

Rod--just in case someone doesn't realize you're joking--the company's statement admits to maceration. Wiki that word and it says "A macerator, in chicken farming, a high-speed grinder used to slaughter unwanted male chicks in large numbers." So If we aren't seeing a macerator macerating, what the hell was that? A carnival ride to better the chicks' quality of life? My dad is an active AVMA member so I'm going to ask him if that method is really approved.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 10:46:44 am »
Chickens are the stupidest nastiest birds alive... I think its a controversial subject but, I do not work in a chicken farming factory? Would it be better to take a shovel and hit them over the head? I do not know... but, its looks like a KFC night tonight...John

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 12:33:51 pm »
Rod--just in case someone doesn't realize you're joking--the company's statement admits to maceration. Wiki that word and it says "A macerator, in chicken farming, a high-speed grinder used to slaughter unwanted male chicks in large numbers." So If we aren't seeing a macerator macerating, what the hell was that? A carnival ride to better the chicks' quality of life? My dad is an active AVMA member so I'm going to ask him if that method is really approved.
That wasn't a joke an had you any experience in a hachery you would know what that equipment was that was being shown. You ask your father what a shell extractor and a de-beaker is. No where did you see any grinders. Another PETA video.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:36:06 pm by RapidRod »

Offline Basquo

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 01:17:26 pm »
That wasn't a joke an had you any experience in a hachery you would know what that equipment was that was being shown. You ask your father what a shell extractor and a de-beaker is. No where did you see any grinders. Another PETA video.

Well, then, peep peep to your meow!  ;) Okay, I'll admit I can't really see what condition the chicks are in before they're being dumped into that thing that looks like a grinder but is evidently a shell extractor. I also admit that my hatchery experience is limited to a tour in 1971 where each child was given a chick as a parting gift (probably males that couldn't fit in the grinder.) So is there a macerator somewhere in the hatchery and it is not shown in the video?  How do they destroy the unwanted male chicks?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 04:00:38 pm »
Well, then, peep peep to your meow!  ;) Okay, I'll admit I can't really see what condition the chicks are in before they're being dumped into that thing that looks like a grinder but is evidently a shell extractor. I also admit that my hatchery experience is limited to a tour in 1971 where each child was given a chick as a parting gift (probably males that couldn't fit in the grinder.) So is there a macerator somewhere in the hatchery and it is not shown in the video?  How do they destroy the unwanted male chicks?
PETA propraganda.  ::)  Cattle dehorning and hog and cattle castration would really freak you out let alone watching videos of kill floors at the major slaughter houses. 

Offline Cliff

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 04:49:26 pm »
You were indeed watching a grinder.  This video is better, which explains each of the machines/actions you see (better video quality too); and you clearly see the outputs from the grinder.  Plus you don't have to go through that annoying ad.  

I don't know whether you need to be from the city or country to know that's a grinder.  But you probably do need a bit of common sense.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/01/chicks-being-ground-up-al_n_273652.html
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:53:59 pm by Cliff »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 05:01:37 pm »

Man I can't see the frickin video....   LOL
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 06:02:31 pm »
I listened to the Dalai Lama today when I wasnt listening to Madonna and Led Zeppelin in my surprise Alpha Romeo. He was talking about how bad karma might be created by freezing embryos, if consciousness starts at fertilization the being endures horrible suffering while frozen.
And perhaps the people who set that process in motion accrue bad karma, or something like that.
So, who is getting bad karma about these poor little chickies?
If you are an unreconstructed meat-eater (actually, I'm reconstructed cause I was a vegan once) you really don't care too too much about such matters.  
Why was this video posted?  I saw it on huffington post and didn't bother to look, just as I turn the channel when disagreeable news comes on if I'm eating.
Can't we just be a bit more discrete and civilised about the savage aspects of industrialised civilisation?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:04:43 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Basquo

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 07:20:21 pm »
I listened to the Dalai Lama today when I wasnt listening to Madonna and Led Zeppelin in my surprise Alpha Romeo. He was talking about how bad karma might be created by freezing embryos, if consciousness starts at fertilization the being endures horrible suffering while frozen.
And perhaps the people who set that process in motion accrue bad karma, or something like that.
So, who is getting bad karma about these poor little chickies?

LOL!  I enjoyed a meal of chicken hearts today, which were cut out by the chickens themselves, but I got no fried gizzards, because after the chickens macerated their chests, they didn't have the guts to harvest their gizzards.

There's a girl I've known since 6th grade, who can't fly because she's on a terrorist watch list after being "detained" by the Feds at a PETA protest/demonstration.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 07:58:23 pm »
You were indeed watching a grinder.  This video is better, which explains each of the machines/actions you see (better video quality too); and you clearly see the outputs from the grinder.  Plus you don't have to go through that annoying ad.  

I don't know whether you need to be from the city or country to know that's a grinder.  But you probably do need a bit of common sense.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/01/chicks-being-ground-up-al_n_273652.html
ROFL just like a city boy to try to explain what the equipment is used in a hatchery. Cliff have you ever been or worked in a hatchery or chicken farm? Or do you believe eggs come from the grocery stores and black cows produce choclate milk.  :D

Offline Merlin

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 10:26:07 pm »
The gospel according to Rod. ::)  ???

Hold your tongue city folks or in you go into the Shell station with your fancy Maseratis.  ;)

Everything is an illusion.  :o

Questions not answered are questions that was never meant to be asked.   :-X

Ommmmmm......whatever!  ::)

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.